• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Internet

• Francis Albert

• Jambo-Jimbo

• H2

6 hours ago, Boab said:

Not if you are talking about the entire life of the planet. When we shuffle off, the earth will survive for as long as it’s been in existence. We are about halfway through it’s lifespan according to estimates of the sun’s life.

Hence the midday !

👍

OK, I see what your saying.  Compared to the 10 billion year life expectancy of the planet, we're about halfway through. In that vast timescale, the scourge of homo sapiens will be nothing but a tiny blip. But the negative impact we will have had on other species will far exceed anything by any other species.

100 million years from now the planet will be teeming with different lifeforms, and it will be like we never existed.

7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

OK, I see what your saying.  Compared to the 10 billion year life expectancy of the planet, we're about halfway through. In that vast timescale, the scourge of homo sapiens will be nothing but a tiny blip. But the negative impact we will have had on other species will far exceed anything by any other species.

100 million years from now the planet will be teeming with different lifeforms, and it will be like we never existed.

Exactly. It’s quite staggering when you think about it.

Francis Albert

Before the thread disappears again to about page 8 where I found it a few days ago, another tuppence worth.

Climate change and associated effects are by far the biggest issue facing us today, If it ever gets 1% or even 0.1%  of the attention given to the comparatively trivial issue of Brexit (or in Scotland independence) it will be a sign it is taken seriously. Even by self-proclaimed campaigners on the issue like the Guardian.

The Guardian was yesterday pushing the same simplistic "generational divide" stuff it has been running on Brexit, as if there was any sort of unity in any generation on these issues.

Finally this blaming the old, as in Greta's UN rant. My generation and that of my elders  grew up in families which had no or at most one car, most of us didn't own a car or drive one until relatively late in life, most of us didn't step on an aeroplane until our thirties. So our lifetime impact on climate change probably compares not too unfavourably with some younger generations, few of whom, despite knowledge we lacked at their age seem keen to voluntarily forgo the life lifestyles they grew up with.

Don't think she's blaming your average old person, just like she isn't blaming the average person now who was born into this society. There's been an entire generation of world leaders who have ignored these issues. That's where the anger is being directed. 

Francis Albert
9 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Don't think she's blaming your average old person, just like she isn't blaming the average person now who was born into this society. There's been an entire generation of world leaders who have ignored these issues. That's where the anger is being directed. 

OK maybe it is more the reporting and the emphasis on her age that seems to me to have more than  a whiff of ageism, the last acceptablea prejudice. World leaders have ignored the issue because not enough people young and old have seen it as a priority.

8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

OK maybe it is more the reporting and the emphasis on her age that seems to me to have more than  a whiff of ageism, the last acceptablea prejudice. World leaders have ignored the issue because not enough people young and old have seen it as a priority.

Exactly, they didn't get elected on a manifesto which puts green issues and the planet first, no, most if not all got elected on a manifesto that puts economic growth if not first then very high up there as the priority.  

If people are so concerned about the planet and really want to do something about it, then elect people whose policies and aims reflect that feeling.

I find it quite ironic people taking to the streets demanding that politicians do more for the environment and the planet, yet many if not most will still vote for those very same politicians and political parties at the next General Election.

If people really care about the environment and the planet, they could always use their vote at the ballot box and elect parties whose leaders will do something about the environment and the planet.

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly, they didn't get elected on a manifesto which puts green issues and the planet first, no, most if not all got elected on a manifesto that puts economic growth if not first then very high up there as the priority.  

If people are so concerned about the planet and really want to do something about it, then elect people whose policies and aims reflect that feeling.

I find it quite ironic people taking to the streets demanding that politicians do more for the environment and the planet, yet many if not most will still vote for those very same politicians and political parties at the next General Election.

If people really care about the environment and the planet, they could always use their vote at the ballot box and elect parties whose leaders will do something about the environment and the planet.

The issue is that parties that put environmental issues first don't do well so voting for them is seen as a wasted vote. It turns into a vicious circle where you don't vote for them because they aren't going to get elected resulting in their vote share never increasing to a point where they have any sort of say. 

19 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

The issue is that parties that put environmental issues first don't do well so voting for them is seen as a wasted vote. It turns into a vicious circle where you don't vote for them because they aren't going to get elected resulting in their vote share never increasing to a point where they have any sort of say. 

For many a year this was also the view held by most of the electorate towards a vote for the SNP, that it was nothing more than a wasted vote, then at some point that thinking and attitude changed.

A similar change in the electorate's attitude towards more environmentally friendly political parties is not beyond the realms of possibility.

It would need a radical change in peoples attitudes, and we can see that change growing stronger all the time now.

14 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

For many a year this was also the view held by most of the electorate towards a vote for the SNP, that it was nothing more than a wasted vote, then at some point that thinking and attitude changed.

A similar change in the electorate's attitude towards more environmentally friendly political parties is not beyond the realms of possibility.

It would need a radical change in peoples attitudes, and we can see that change growing stronger all the time now.

Good post

Just need to know where the Greens stand regarding Brexit.

We are the most disillusioned electorate ever, could be a good laugh 

• 2 weeks later...
Francis Albert

A long way back to find a thread on the impending extinction of the human race. Another big demo in London today. Lots of gluing to vehicles, bridges, buildings. I suppose environmentally friendly glues that are not derived from petroleum products. 

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

A long way back to find a thread on the impending extinction of the human race. Another big demo in London today. Lots of gluing to vehicles, bridges, buildings. I suppose environmentally friendly glues that are not derived from petroleum products. 

Theres a crisis facing the human race and TBH something has to be done. A mass protest of sorts is probably one way to get governments attention. However nothing can be solved without the cooperation of the Chinese, Indian and other poorer developing nations to get on top global warming threat. 

Unless it is already to late of course. 

A bunch of communist, middle class twats trying to blame capitalism for climate change and disrupting Joe Public from going about their every day lives.

Their "cause" is quickly losing support. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Theres a crisis facing the human race and TBH something has to be done. A mass protest of sorts is probably one way to get governments attention. However nothing can be solved without the cooperation of the Chinese, Indian and other poorer developing nations to get on top global warming threat. 

Agreed but a mass protest in London or any other western city has zero effect in China, or India or all the other developing countries in the great majority of the world. And the sort of protests like today's in London probably has a negative effect in the developed world. 

But Stephen Fry supports them. 

Cory McNamara
On 26/09/2019 at 02:16, Maple Leaf said:

Sun will expand at the end of its life-span (chemical reactions will go faster). So no life here even sooner.

Climate will always change. We still don't know the reasons behind the ice age. Cars and heavy factories will never destroy Earth's climate (this is not an easy task); but they are able to choke you at certain places.

Remember how your ancestors destroyed forests? "Coal age" and all that stuff. How gigantic "ice cube" pulverized everything from north to south?

But it still OK to survive. Planet knows how to do it. Even if it means to somehow control our population (viruses, inability to multiply because of some reasons and so on). Nature is smart, Earth is even smarter.

Technologies and heavy industry go hand in hand. There is nothing you can do with it right now.

We have far worse problems:

1. Violence.

2. Social disorientation.

3. Unhappiness; people are not happy, that leads to depression, drugs, alcohol.

4. Plastic waste.

5. Toxic waste.

6. Nuclear waste.

7. Social instability (pensions, payments and on; how long can you live?).

8. Brutality and stupidity of modern news channels (TV, internet, paper).

9. Human trafficking.

10. Modern types of slavery.

11. Personal distress / grief. Nobody will help you in a modern society, we know it deep down; that rips you apart.

12. Expensive education - that leads to stupidity, only good when you need additional votes.

13. Expensive healthcare - can hammer rich and poor, no matter what.

I really don't want my government to spend 1-2 billion or more only because some French coconuts are not prepared for an additional heat wave.

Asteroid can smash our hopes and dreams.

Supernova can strike even harder, basically, from nowhere.

Solar wind shock wave can destroy all our so-called technologies.

We need wisdom, strategic thinking & accessible education.

Edited by Cory McNamara

Aye, comparing European pollution, with a quarter of the world population to now. Where every corner of the world is being choked to death.

Climate change deniers are criminals!

The Internet
7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Why do you keep mentioning that this thread drops off the front page? 

9 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

There is indeed a crisis, that is not disputable (well it is with the deniers), but some of the demands of the protestors are completely unobtainable, such as the UK being completely carbon neutral by 2025, all petrol/diesel vehicle's off the streets by 2025 same with aircraft.

Even if it were achievable in the UK, it wouldn't make a difference unless as you say the USA, China, India, Brazil etc etc etc did the same, I'm not sure if most of the protestors realise this.

dobmisterdobster
12 hours ago, JyTees said:

A bunch of communist, middle class twats trying to blame capitalism for climate change and disrupting Joe Public from going about their every day lives.

Their "cause" is quickly losing support. 

Climate change is a serious issue but as usual a bunch of eccentric idiots have to make it all about them.

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Why do you keep mentioning that this thread drops off the front page? 

Isn't it a bit odd that it gets so little attention? Compared to relative trivia like Brexit for example. 

jack D and coke
19 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Isn't it a bit odd that it gets so little attention? Compared to relative trivia like Brexit for example. 

People want it to go away don’t they, I know I do. 
I don’t want to stop using my motor and going on foreign holidays etc. 
I find comfort in people ripping that wee lassie and making out it’s all shite. 
Brexit is what it’s all about. That an new iPhones and stuff. 

dobmisterdobster
56 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

People want it to go away don’t they, I know I do. 
I don’t want to stop using my motor and going on foreign holidays etc. 
I find comfort in people ripping that wee lassie and making out it’s all shite. 
Brexit is what it’s all about. That an new iPhones and stuff. 

Rich politicians and celebrities can ride in their private jets while ordinary people aren't allowed to drive cars or take foreign holidays because it's bad for the environment. That seems fair.

If Greta's ideas are to be taken seriously then they must also be open to criticism. She can't hide behind being a child.

So far she hasn't taken criticism well. She hates that her tantrum of a speech has been memed all over the internet.

The Internet
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

On kickback or in general? Either way brexit is probably more likely to impact us as British people directly in the short term than climate change, which is just kind of lurking in the background while we wait to see what it does to us. 

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Rich politicians and celebrities can ride in their private jets while ordinary people aren't allowed to drive cars or take foreign holidays because it's bad for the environment. That seems fair.

If Greta's ideas are to be taken seriously then they must also be open to criticism. She can't hide behind being a child.

So far she hasn't taken criticism well. She hates that her tantrum of a speech has been memed all over the internet.

Mate we’re all hypocrites, I know I am. I re-cycle my plastic and that’s about it...go me eh. I run about in my motor, fly all over the place, burn electric and gas like a mofo and tbh I don’t want to stop any of it being totally honest. I’m just doing what I was programmed to do throughout my education etc, get a job, work hard for nice things etc I can’t change my thinking now.
Celebrities and politicians don’t live in our world anyway so think they can do as they please. 
We can’t stop this now you’re as well just getting on with it and accepting we’ve screwed this up. Everything that causes global warming is increasing not slowing down and the population is growing by over 200k per day. 
There’s isn’t any hope imo. What will be will be imo. 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Mate we’re all hypocrites, I know I am. I re-cycle my plastic and that’s about it...go me eh. I run about in my motor, fly all over the place, burn electric and gas like a mofo and tbh I don’t want to stop any of it being totally honest. I’m just doing what I was programmed to do throughout my education etc, get a job, work hard for nice things etc I can’t change my thinking now.
Celebrities and politicians don’t live in our world anyway so think they can do as they please. 
We can’t stop this now you’re as well just getting on with it and accepting we’ve screwed this up. Everything that causes global warming is increasing not slowing down and the population is growing by over 200k per day. 

Indeed, I'm a hypocrite as well, we all are when it comes to this subject.

Most if not near enough everyone of the protestors are hypocrites as well, example being was a woman who was interviewed live this morning on Sky News at one of the demo sites.  She wants the use of all fossil fuels to end by 2025, yet she admitted that she drives a diesel van and the only reason that she doesn't have an electric car/van is because she can't afford one and was in part demonstrating against the cost of electric cars and wants the government to lower the price of them (not sure how much control the government have over the price tbh).

I was begging the interviewer to ask her the obvious question, that being, come 2025 if she still can't afford an electric car would she stop driving completely?

Maybe she would have been true to her convictions and stop driving a petrol or diesel car/van by 2025, but then again maybe not, but she wants us all to do so.

Ron Burgundy
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I think you're spot on.

If you recycle all you possibly could for a year then go on a plane for your holiday it more than cancels it all out. We as a species will die out like all species do, it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

12 hours ago, Cory McNamara said:

Sun will expand at the end of its life-span (chemical reactions will go faster). So no life here even sooner.

Climate will always change. We still don't know the reasons behind the ice age. Cars and heavy factories will never destroy Earth's climate (this is not an easy task); but they are able to choke you at certain places.

Remember how your ancestors destroyed forests? "Coal age" and all that stuff. How gigantic "ice cube" pulverized everything from north to south?

But it still OK to survive. Planet knows how to do it. Even if it means to somehow control our population (viruses, inability to multiply because of some reasons and so on). Nature is smart, Earth is even smarter.

Technologies and heavy industry go hand in hand. There is nothing you can do with it right now.

We have far worse problems:

1. Violence.

2. Social disorientation.

3. Unhappiness; people are not happy, that leads to depression, drugs, alcohol.

4. Plastic waste.

5. Toxic waste.

6. Nuclear waste.

7. Social instability (pensions, payments and on; how long can you live?).

8. Brutality and stupidity of modern news channels (TV, internet, paper).

9. Human trafficking.

10. Modern types of slavery.

11. Personal distress / grief. Nobody will help you in a modern society, we know it deep down; that rips you apart.

12. Expensive education - that leads to stupidity, only good when you need additional votes.

13. Expensive healthcare - can hammer rich and poor, no matter what.

I really don't want my government to spend 1-2 billion or more only because some French coconuts are not prepared for an additional heat wave.

Asteroid can smash our hopes and dreams.

Supernova can strike even harder, basically, from nowhere.

Solar wind shock wave can destroy all our so-called technologies.

We need wisdom, strategic thinking & accessible education.

Yip. On the money.

No one is denying anything here. Priorities, that’s all.

I don’t doubt that burning fossil fuels and the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere can cause a greenhouse effect, but looking at the big picture temperatures on earth have been varying widely in the last few thousand years as we are coming out of the latest ice age and it seems to affect higher latitudes more.  This has been going on for all the time that Homo sapiens has been around.

There could very well be an end to our comfortable jump in the car to get to the supermarket and have a couple of cheap flights to Europe western lifestyle.  But it will not lead to our extinction.

Something else will do that.

(Besides, we’re only here because Cyanobacteria killed most of the anaerobic life forms in the (superbly apocalyptic-sounding) Great Oxygen Catastrophe.

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I think you're spot on.

If you recycle all you possibly could for a year then go on a plane for your holiday it more than cancels it all out. We as a species will die out like all species do, it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Heard one person being interviewed who was on about our mass extinction due to climate change etc etc,  it was pointed out to her that there has been at least 5 previous mass extinctions, every one of which was due to changes in the climate and humans weren't around to have caused it, she didn't have an answer.

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Heard one person being interviewed who was on about our mass extinction due to climate change etc etc,  it was pointed out to her that there has been at least 5 previous mass extinctions, every one of which was due to changes in the climate and humans weren't around to have caused it, she didn't have an answer.

All that is true.

However, humans are playing a huge part in the sixth mass extinction, which is underway right now.  There is an excellent book on the subject called, ahem, The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert, which is worth a read if you are interested. 

Edit:  I should add, the current surge in species extinction is not all due to climate change, but other human activities are responsible as well.  The situation is so dramatic that biologists are now suggesting that we no longer live in the Cenozoic era, but have now entered a new era called Anthrocene.

highlandjambo3
On 26/09/2019 at 00:16, Maple Leaf said:

Someone with a big huge brain, you know like Steven Hawkins had, said to put the planet v’s mankind’s existence into perspective.  If the current life of the earth was compacted down into a 24hour cycle, man would have been walking around for about 3 minutes......just WOW.....how insignificant we are.

10 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Someone with a big huge brain, you know like Steven Hawkins had, said to put the planet v’s mankind’s existence into perspective.  If the current life of the earth was compacted down into a 24hour cycle, man would have been walking around for about 3 minutes......just WOW.....how insignificant we are.

Insignificant microbes, existing briefly on a speck of dust, orbiting a small star in a remote corner of one of hundreds of billions of galaxies.  That's about as insignificant as it gets.

And some of us, including me, get upset when our local fitba' team is doing poorly. :tongue: 

30 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

All that is true.

However, humans are playing a huge part in the sixth mass extinction, which is underway right now.  There is an excellent book on the subject called, ahem, The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert, which is worth a read if you are interested. 

Edit:  I should add, the current surge in species extinction is not all due to climate change, but other human activities are responsible as well.  The situation is so dramatic that biologists are now suggesting that we no longer live in the Cenozoic era, but have now entered a new era called Anthrocene.

Off that there is no doubts, however humans played no part in the previous 5 and will probably play little to no part in the 7th, 8th or the 9th mass extinctions either. 

Humans are playing a huge part in the 6th mass extinction, and why, because we are here, it's our time to inhabit the planet, and as such it'll be our time as a species to die off in the next mass extinction.

The Internet

5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Lots of uncomfortable truths in this. I'm the same really, recycle what I can, by that I mean what they give me the bins for - plastics, cardboard, glass, food waste - and very rarely drive and that makes me feel a wee bit better about all the gas and electric I use at home, although it shouldn't really (still refusing to put the heating on til at least November though). Recently went on a holiday that took 3 flights to get there and 3 flights back and have another one booked for next year so not doing so well there. But yeah we were all born into this world where the luxuries we have are created by the causes of climate change. Feel sorry for whichever generation that has to deal with the fallout. 

Francis Albert
8 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

On kickback or in general? Either way brexit is probably more likely to impact us as British people directly in the short term than climate change, which is just kind of lurking in the background while we wait to see what it does to us. 

I meant both. But I agree with you. The impact of Brexit is real and relatively imminent. The idea that we can revert to some sort of pre-industrial society five years from now (in the UK at least) is ludicrous.

But a topic that deserves the occasional bump!

Edited by Francis Albert

21 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Agreed but a mass protest in London or any other western city has zero effect in China, or India or all the other developing countries in the great majority of the world. And the sort of protests like today's in London probably has a negative effect in the developed world. 

But Stephen Fry supports them. 

China has redeveloped forests and greened up faster than the EU .

And is also I think investing at a faster rate renewables.

We all have a part to play and given the high stakes I'd say the protests are tame.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, jake said:

China has redeveloped forests and greened up faster than the EU .

And is also I think investing at a faster rate renewables.

We all have a part to play and given the high stakes I'd say the protests are tame.

Still building coal fired generation apace

Outstripping our aytempts to reduce it

23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I meant both. But I agree with you. The impact of Brexit is real and relatively imminent. The idea that we can revert to some sort of pre-industrial society five years from now (in the UK at least) is ludicrous.

But a topic that deserves the occasional bump!

If not now it will be forced upon us.

Not us but the next generation .

Ludicrous cuts both ways here FA.

Yes its ludicrous to expect change which in itself is ludicrous given the high stakes and the forecasts.

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Still building coal fired generation apace

Outstripping our aytempts to reduce it

It's not a race to the bottom mate

dobmisterdobster

We cannot go backwards as a species.

Technology and innovation will solve climate change not government imposed feudalism.

SectionDJambo

Sadly, I fear we are wasting our time entirely blaming governments and the "establishment" for global warming and poor recycling. This also has to be an effort from the bottom up, and this is failing badly.

I work in a supermarket, where you see the worst in the lazy, couldn't give a hoot, attitudes of a hell of a lot of people. The food waste caused in supermarkets by morons taking chilled and frozen goods, and then dumping them around in unchilled areas, because they've changed their minds about 10 minutes later, is staggering. A wee walk of a few yards, to return these foods to their original location, is too much for these confused souls. Food waste has been recognised as a major factor in global warming.

The same attitude to recycling probably exists, given the amount of empties left lying around outside and inside. Global warming and the plastic pollution seems to be for other people to concern themselves about.

There is a genaration of ignorant adults out there who are bringing up their children to behave in the same ignorant manner, which is going to multiply the problem as years go by.

We have a major problem at the top, as shown by the current US President thinking that global warming doesn't exist, but the world's population, certainly this country's population, could easily do a lot more without too much effort.

Edited by SectionDJambo

J.T.F.Robertson
7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Insignificant microbes, existing briefly on a speck of dust, orbiting a small star in a remote corner of one of hundreds of billions of galaxies.  That's about as insignificant as it gets.

And some of us, including me, get upset when our local fitba' team is doing poorly. :tongue: 

Maybe Hearts are the Real Madrid equivalent in one of the many parallel universes? (cannie prove that theory)

Still won't mean a toss. :(

23 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Sadly, I fear we are wasting our time entirely blaming governments and the "establishment" for global warming and poor recycling. This also has to be an effort from the bottom up, and this is failing badly.

I work in a supermarket, where you see the worst in the lazy, couldn't give a hoot, attitudes of a hell of a lot of people. The food waste caused in supermarkets by morons taking chilled and frozen goods, and then dumping them around in unchilled areas, because they've changed their minds about 10 minutes later, is staggering. A wee walk of a few yards, to return these foods to their original location, is too much for these confused souls. Food waste has been recognised as a major factor in global warming.

The same attitude to recycling probably exists, given the amount of empties left lying around outside and inside. Global warming and the plastic pollution seems to be for other people to concern themselves about.

There is a genaration of ignorant adults out there who are bringing up their children to behave in the same ignorant manner, which is going to multiply the problem as years go by.

We have a major problem at the top, as shown by the current US President thinking that global warming doesn't exist, but the world's population, certainly this country's population, could easily do a lot more without too much effort.

Encouraging recycling plastics isn't really going to solve much though, only certain types can be recycled and ultimately they will end up being tossed by those who don't care. Need to stop using them for food preservation and move towards environmentally friendly packaging so if it does get dumped it'll decompose. Like paper bags for produce. Need to encourage more locally grown/sourced produce so they can be sold locally fresh and not need to be wrapped up in plastic packaging to help preserve it. But then I suppose we have more torrential rain storms to look forward to in the years ahead that'll wipe out some locally grown produce!

Things are quite truly ****ed, and the balance will never recover naturally to save mankind. Too much wildlife and underwater life already gone, affecting food sources. This'll work its way down to insects, where the likes of bees are so few pollination isn't happening. Perhaps it'll be at that moment the 1% will realise they can't eat their money.

The science can save us if money thrown at fossil fuel investment was thrown at researching ways to artificially cool the planet instead (such as mass removal of CO₂ from the atmosphere, creating massive ice cubes to drop in the ocean etc). Climate control rather than climate change. Imagine if we could artificially balance things so deserts could be forests, help nature recover while humans are still able to walk the planet.

1 hour ago, kila said:

Encouraging recycling plastics isn't really going to solve much though, only certain types can be recycled and ultimately they will end up being tossed by those who don't care. Need to stop using them for food preservation and move towards environmentally friendly packaging so if it does get dumped it'll decompose. Like paper bags for produce. Need to encourage more locally grown/sourced produce so they can be sold locally fresh and not need to be wrapped up in plastic packaging to help preserve it. But then I suppose we have more torrential rain storms to look forward to in the years ahead that'll wipe out some locally grown produce!

You mean get back to the way things used to be, as I can well remember the days when you used to get locally grown loose potatoes, which you put in a brown paper bag,  and a sack of tatties came in a thick paper sack, and it wasn't just tatties, near enough every fruit & veg came loose and you carried them home in a paper bag.

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You mean get back to the way things used to be, as I can well remember the days when you used to get locally grown loose potatoes, which you put in a brown paper bag,  and a sack of tatties came in a thick paper sack, and it wasn't just tatties, near enough every fruit & veg came loose and you carried them home in a paper bag.

And this, from back in the day.

71913712_1177943912414941_1275996395223908352_n.jpg

7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You can still do that, or you can go to a supermarket where you get the rest of your shopping and get the same stuff in a plastic wrapper, likely for a fraction of the price.