Washington

grumpyespana

jambostuart

He's been unlucky so far. Makes the right moves and finds space. Should have had a goal against Dundee United but his teammates provided little service, even when he was in a better position to score. Once he gets service he'll come good I think

3 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

He's been unlucky so far. Makes the right moves and finds space. Should have had a goal against Dundee United but his teammates provided little service, even when he was in a better position to score. Once he gets service he'll come good I think

Seriously, how much service does he need! Did you watch the first half!

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I don’t think 4-4-2 works for him.  I’d rather see him as lone striker with Mulraney and Walker either side and Naismith tucked behind.  Failing that, play him wide with Naismith or Uche through the middle.

1 hour ago, copa-mundial said:

His movement is second to none. Sadly we don't have the creative player in the team recognize his early runs. 

Washington is cutting a very frustrated figure due to this. 

Hopefully once Naismith is in the team, he will be the man to find these passes, or make more space for Washington to run into. 

This is how I see it too. Whether with Naismith in beside Washington you still call it 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 doesn't really matter. Washington playing as number 9 and Naismith in the hole. I think this could be part of the reason MacLean has started the last couple of games rather than Ikpeazu. MacLean is closer in style to Naismith.

jambostuart
1 minute ago, Super T said:

Seriously, how much service does he need! Did you watch the first half!

I did, don't recall him being put through to any situations I thought singled him out as a poor finisher. Uche was by far the worst culprit for finishing tonight. 

We controlled the game tonight and had a lot of shots but the link up play between midfield and attack was still a big concern, and that's despite Washington having good movement, not because of him.

Byyy The Light

Just so we’re clear then...

Unless a Hearts player scores every game

or 1 out of 3 chances every appearance from game 1 then they should just get tae?

When had that ever happened in the last 100 years? 

Wankers.

rudi must stay

Quality player, seen enough of him in interviews and on the pitch to see that. Might go down to the Tony Watt route of having a go himself if we continue our tactics, and you wouldn't blame him for that

18 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

I did, don't recall him being put through to any situations I thought singled him out as a poor finisher. Uche was by far the worst culprit for finishing tonight. 

We controlled the game tonight and had a lot of shots but the link up play between midfield and attack was still a big concern, and that's despite Washington having good movement, not because of him.

You'll hear no argument about Uche. Terrible footballer. Yet somehow managed to get in those positions that others are saying Washington wasn't played into 🤔

StevenNaismith

Saw him leaving to go to the hospital, his eye is a mess. Hopefully he’s not done too much damage.

Naismith  will work wanders for Washington, so far Naismith is the 1 player who will read the clever runs that Washington makes. They will be quite formidable I think but I have 2 concerns:-

1- If Naismith gets injured again

2- Can Washington score the chances once he receives the ball in the neat areas? 

We shouldnt be relying on Naismith and I fully believe Lafferty would be a great signing if the deal was right. Punt wighton and Mclean out on loan for a season and use there waves to offer Lafferty 1 season to prove himself again. Of course we still need a quality CM. 

Edited by Mdoug79

7 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

So the Manager bumped Johnson and Isma because of “thoughts” on JKB???

Nonsense!!  Cathro bumped Johnson after their relationship hit the skids and we were happy to punt Isma for the money!

At what point in my post did I say “thoughts on JKB” ??  

Read it again please

if I was a player I wouldn’t go near a forum let alone this. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

8 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I don’t think 4-4-2 works for him.  I’d rather see him as lone striker with Mulraney and Walker either side and Naismith tucked behind.  Failing that, play him wide with Naismith or Uche through the middle.

Having spoke to a couple of Peterborough fans about him, they both say that he's best playing on the shoulder of the last man. So if we are playing a 4-4-2 then he needs to be the number 9 in effect or has been mentioned the lone striker type with other attackers around him. One thing they both agreed on was that he shouldn't be playing on the wing.

Voiceofreasonfortheseason

Any update on the injury?  I am more concerned about that at the moment that debating if he is going to be a success for us.  A long lay off due to an injury is going to help nobody.

copa-mundial
9 hours ago, amadjambo said:

“His movement is second to none.”

😂😂😂

Up there as one of the most ridiculous comments I’ve read on here.

😂😂 aye, no bother

heartsfc_fan

It looked like he had his contact lense knocked and it went up inside the eye?

Might be wrong however... anybody know what was up with him?

jamboiain13

reminds me of Cole Stockton so far...that said the service into the box is pretty dire at times but we definitely lack a penalty box striker and this guy doesn't look like one either

9 hours ago, shauncl said:

Really, take it you are to young to remember the mid 80's or 98 then

Born in '83. 14 in '98 :)

We_are_the_Hearts

Another striker who will be wasted by our slow and predictable build up. For his sake hopefully Naismith is back soon

I’d get Keena in the team and keep him there, that boy scores goals with players like Washington Walker Mulraney MacDonald and Naismith around him he’ll get chances.

We need to stop with McLean, he’s an intelligent player but he’s adding nothing, he’d be better coming off the bench late in games when defences are stretched.

The amount of wasted chances last night and the ball lose in the box a lad like Keena scores he’s an instinctive player he’ll just shoot.

Failing that Naismith will need to move much further forward to support Washington, but we need midfielders for that to happen.

Absolute Scenes

Really like the look of Washington. You could see how desperate he was for the ball, he actually was pulled out wide just to collect it. As with all our strikers, they will struggle to score without good delivery, so we need to work on creativity. With that sorted we'll see the goals. Don't think its fair to slate or criticise Washington when he literally is given nothing to go on. Encouraged with what I've seen in him so far

His injury was that he got smashed In the face with the ball so he has a swollen eye. Could miss east fife game but likely to be back for Aberdeen.

Not so much this game but he found space 3 times in the first half v Dundee Utd that was begging for a simple square ball for a tap in. 

His frustration grew. The lack of awareness or players lacking quick thinking in our team is alarming. 

I personally like Washington. Has a good tight touch around the box, works really hard with clever running. 

Said it after the Utd game. He’s crying out for a quality midfielder to work off. 

OmiyaHearts

I'm not going to be critical of Washington, considering the balls that were being played to him. Didn't help at all that Walker played like Cathro was in charge and our experienced right back seemed happy to shell long crosses to no-one. 

Less said about our centre midfield pairing, the better. An area of serious concern if they are our partnership in the league.

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

At what point in my post did I say “thoughts on JKB” ??  

Read it again please

if I was a player I wouldn’t go near a forum let alone this. 

You said “we lost Johnson and Isma because of THOUGHTS like these”.

These “thoughts” were posted on JKB which you responded to.

As for players not going near JKB they should all keep off social media - just ask Lee Griffiths.

10 hours ago, Super T said:

🤣

Not sure he's recovered from that injury in the last couple of years. 

Chat about how his movement is that great but our midfielder's can't see it, yet been at higher level clubs and they're higher level midfielder's couldn't see it either! Trend happening here. Maybe our scouts can't see that either!

Quandary is are our strikers shit or is the service poor 11 corners 20+ crosses into box he or Maclean should have scored last night all those crosses can’t have been poor Halkett in the right place to score Uche fumbling about behind him , run all night but  finding space and being in the right place is what makes a good striker 

4 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

😂😂 aye, no bother

To suggest Connor Washington's movement is “second to none” is frankly absurd. There’s literally dozens, if not hundreds of strikers that have better movement in world football. 

13 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He’s scored 0 goals in his last 25 games at club level. 😬

I still think he just needs a goal and then he’ll score a barrowload. 

I hope so. He’s had plenty chances to get off the mark in the LC but, like all our strikers, lacks composure in front of goal.

He certainly looks a much better player than some of our recent strikers, but the longer he goes without a goal the more it will become a problem. A couple at East Fife on Saturday would come just at the right time to boost his confidence for the league starting.

Jambosteve1902
4 hours ago, jamboiain13 said:

reminds me of Cole Stockton so far...that said the service into the box is pretty dire at times but we definitely lack a penalty box striker and this guy doesn't look like one either

hes literally nothing like stockton at all. 

We need to support him and give him time to settle 

it wasn’t that long ago he was being touted down south for millions. Hasselbank, O Neill and a few others rate him highly in the game, forget what Lebrun thinks for a second 

he hasn’t  had the best of starts, granted, but we can’t afford to write him off now regardless of how he has performed. He is on a long term contract so we are better giving him as much support as possible 

everyone says that he will give his all and will never hide in the game, that’s his character. If we just get behind him and when he bangs in a few goals he may just need some time to settle in to the side 

he needs games IMO and I still think he will be good for us in the long run 

you cant compare him to Vanacek, Stockton or anyone else like that purely because these guys never had a fraction of the pedigree Washington has 

Just now, Hearts1975 said:

it wasn’t that long ago he was being touted down south for millions. Hasselbank, O Neill and a few others rate him highly in the game, forget what Lebrun thinks for a second 

he hasn’t  had the best of starts, granted, but we can’t afford to write him off now regardless of how he has performed. He is on a long term contract so we are better giving him as much support as possible 

everyone says that he will give his all and will never hide in the game, that’s his character. If we just get behind him and when he bangs in a few goals he may just need some time to settle in to the side 

you cant compare him to Vanacek, Stockton or anyone else like that purely because these guys never had a fraction of the pedigree Washington has 

Levein sorry ( my mistake) 

Think one of the biggest issues with him is he's played a lot on the wing in last season or so plus had no run week in week out.  Once he gets a good run of games, that instinct hes shown previously will comeback.  Plus need players around him to realise how clever a player he is with his runs he makes, once gets used to new surroundings and players around him know how he plays, i'm sure he will be a success. 

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

You will see the best of him when Naismith is back and new midfielder who can pick out a decent pass or two ( hopefully )

copa-mundial
2 hours ago, amadjambo said:

To suggest Connor Washington's movement is “second to none” is frankly absurd. There’s literally dozens, if not hundreds of strikers that have better movement in world football. 

At SPFL level, Jesus! 

Did I take it too far? My apologies, let me rephrase it. 

Washington's movement is semi decent compared to hundreds of other strikers in world football. 

Does that fit the criteria of your demeanor? 

LMAO@ the OP.

Said plenty within the thread but some of his runs in behind, particularly diagonals were superb. His general movement was good too, against a team with a less defensive set-up this would have been more obvious just how he was creating space for others. I'm looking forward to the team getting to know him in order to pick the required passes out. Although overall not much return from him, there was plenty for folks looking to realise we have a good footballer.

2 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

At SPFL level, Jesus! 

Did I take it too far? My apologies, let me rephrase it. 

Washington's movement is semi decent compared to hundreds of other strikers in world football. 

Does that fit the criteria of your demeanor? 

You are the one coming out with the ridiculous exaggerations. Exactly the sort of thing that’s par for the course for a new signing on here. I’m sure if I dug hard enough I could find similar comments about guys like Tony Watt, El Hassanoui, or Cole Stockton.

What I’ve seen is that he has made some very good runs, looks like he is a bit quicker than our other strikers, and works hard. What I want to see are those subtle movements to give him extra space in the box. The sort of thing good strikers do as a matter of course. 

Im not saying he’s crap, nor am I saying he’s a world beater. So far there are positive signs and some negative. Certainly not enough to justify some of the OTT criticism being voiced nor the OTT praise.

Edited by amadjambo

jack D and coke
18 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

If I was a professional football player the last place I’d choose to play football is Tynecastle.

It’s not even August and 2 games in the boy is getting slaughtered by fans.

Same folk acting humble on the Mulraney thread saying how they were proved wrong.

Like Love Island on steroids this place. 

It’s everywhere now mate. Social media has given eejits voices all over the place. Facebook politicians are in the lead though compared to all the tactical geniuses. 

Its laughable tbh. I don’t come on to the terrace very often, the opinions are genuinely frightening at times. 

19 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

True. And the players chucked it cos they had no affinity with the club or fans. 

FFS another one blaming the fans for all our ills. Unbelievable 

grumpyespana
3 hours ago, sicknote said:

LMAO@ the OP.

Said plenty within the thread but some of his runs in behind, particularly diagonals were superb. His general movement was good too, against a team with a less defensive set-up this would have been more obvious just how he was creating space for others. I'm looking forward to the team getting to know him in order to pick the required passes out. Although overall not much return from him, there was plenty for folks looking to realise we have a good footballer.

I know its not easy moving to a new club and scoring goals straight away I also know he deserves time to get up to speed but we as fans get upset when we dinnie score goals.

Captain Canada

Talking of injured strikers, I've not seen any update on Wighton recently after he went off against ICT. 

He must be a candidate to go out on loan as he's well down the pecking order now. 

Flappy Hands

I think there could still be a player in there. He seems to get really down on himself all the time. 

Lacking confidence. 

Without sounding cliche, strikers thrive on confidence. Confidence comes from scoring goals. Washington is clearly a clever footballer, judging by his movement and overall play.

But, of course, as a striker and particularly given our recent record with strikers, there is more focus on him than there perhaps would be in other seasons. 

Sam Cosgrove is a good example. No goals for what was apparently an eternity and then a barrowload in a short space of time! 

Washington has played at a good level. He’s an international level striker. But, he will overall be judged on how many times he can stick the ball in the old onion bag. 

Goals will come! (I hope!)