So who all went to this ?

dannymack

Hearts played Hibs in the Tom Hart memorial at the start of season 1982/83, that night saw a lot of unruly behaviour from the Hearts hoards.

This game was at the end of that season.

Vaguely remember this, Eamonn Bannon (Dundee Utd) and Cammy Fraser(Dundee) both guested for Hearts that day.

Ironically I’m certain this was played the day after Dundee Utd won the premier league title at Dens

I was there. 

It was held the day after we beat Hamilton in the last game of the '82/83 season. We won 2-0 but St. Johnstone also won and pipped us to the Division 1 title. Both of us were already promoted anyway. 

Iirc, McArthur's testimonial, on the Sunday, was billed as a Hibs v. Hearts 1970's select and, as suggested by FinnBarr, we outnumbered them. I recall we took the lead but Hibs scored 4 before we got a late 2nd.

Also remember the pitiful Hibs support on their East terracing. So sparse that when it began raining the lot of them moved to, and fitted under, the floodlight at the junction with the cowshed. We serenaded them to their rush for cover with a loud chorus of "and now you've got to believe us, you're scared to get a wash".

4 months later we beat them 3-2 in the first league derby since 1979 and the daft buggers were consigned to the life of bitterness and hatred towards Hearts that engulfs them to this day. 

McArthur should be grateful. If it wasn't for the 3k+ Hearts support that day he'd have retired with a pittance. 

42 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Vaguely remember this, Eamonn Bannon (Dundee Utd) and Cammy Fraser(Dundee) both guested for Hearts that day.

Ironically I’m certain this was played the day after Dundee Utd won the premier league title at Dens

It was jbee. 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, martoon said:

I was there. 

It was held the day after we beat Hamilton in the last game of the '82/83 season. We won 2-0 but St. Johnstone also won and pipped us to the Division 1 title. Both of us were already promoted anyway. 

My first Hearts game that was. 

11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

My first Hearts game that was. 

I don't recall anyone being that bothered that we didn't win the title, jack. Promotion had been secured the week before at Dumbarton and that was what mattered. 

I was only 15 myself at the time but I do remember being surprised that Dundee Utd won the Premier League that day. Consensus seemed to be that they would freeze at Dens Park and Aberdeen or Celtic would snatch it from them.

Who knew that just 3 years later we'd be in the same situ?

I was there and remember how pish the Hibs support was. 

Pretty much deja vu. One of the most fair weather set of supporters you will ever witness. 

Doctor FinnBarr
7 hours ago, dannymack said:

Hearts played Hibs in the Tom Hart memorial at the start of season 1982/83, that night saw a lot of unruly behaviour from the Hearts hoards.

That was the game I was thinking of

Even McArthur gave to Hearts by the sounds of it 😂😂😂😂

How far back does this Hibs Goalie hoodoo go?

Doctor FinnBarr
42 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

McArthur is as far as I can go back but apart from maybe Rough and Golum the rest have been bombscare central

11 hours ago, martoon said:

I was there. 

Iirc, McArthur's testimonial, on the Sunday, was billed as a Hibs v. Hearts 1970's select and, as suggested by FinnBarr, we outnumbered them. I recall we took the lead but Hibs scored 4 before we got a late 2nd.

Also remember the pitiful Hibs support on their East terracing. So sparse that when it began raining the lot of them moved to, and fitted under, the floodlight at the junction with the cowshed. We serenaded them to their rush for cover with a loud chorus of "and now you've got to believe us, you're scared to get a wash".

4 months later we beat them 3-2 in the first league derby since 1979 and the daft buggers were consigned to the life of bitterness and hatred towards Hearts that engulfs them to this day. 

McArthur should be grateful. If it wasn't for the 3k+ Hearts support that day he'd have retired with a pittance. 

And yet they are quick to remind us of the attendance for Craig Leveins benefit and testimonial games. 

9 hours ago, martoon said:

I don't recall anyone being that bothered that we didn't win the title, jack. Promotion had been secured the week before at Dumbarton and that was what mattered. 

I was only 15 myself at the time but I do remember being surprised that Dundee Utd won the Premier League that day. Consensus seemed to be that they would freeze at Dens Park and Aberdeen or Celtic would snatch it from them.

Who knew that just 3 years later we'd be in the same situ?

It would have been good if we had won the title but I think the main aim was to get the club back up to the Premier League, Hearts being Hearts typically blew that chance, we got beat at Muirton and then drew a few games against the lower teams in the league which ultimately cost us the silverware. 

Unlike a few years earlier...

IMG_20190310_170134.jpg

36 minutes ago, dannymack said:

It would have been good if we had won the title but I think the main aim was to get the club back up to the Premier League, Hearts being Hearts typically blew that chance, we got beat at Muirton and then drew a few games against the lower teams in the league which ultimately cost us the silverware. 

IMG_20190310_170134.jpg

Aye. It was a good season but we did drop points we shouldn't have. A 4-2 midweek loss to Raith springs to mind and a 3-3 draw with Dunfermline. Iirc, Robbo scored a hattrick in the latter. 

57 minutes ago, dannymack said:

And yet they are quick to remind us of the attendance for Craig Leveins benefit and testimonial games. 

I have unusually vivid memories of that testimonial, danny. I think it's because we'd been starved of competitive derbies for four seasons.

I hadn't attended any in the '70's (deemed to young by my dad who knew how out of hand they could get) so my first games v. Hibs were minor games in the early '80's as a teen. A 2-0 reserve win at ER, a fantastic 2-1 win down there in the EoSS in 1981/82 and the preseason Tom Hart game in the summer of '82.

I remember it cost £1 to get in. Hope McArthur spent it wisely. 

4 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

I think we put him off. He was getting dugs abuse when he was up at the Dunbar end. Obscene, but very funny as I recall. Wish I could remember some of it as mates and I were pi55ing ourselves at the older lads', ahem, banter. 

4 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

McArthur is as far as I can go back but apart from maybe Rough and Golum the rest have been bombscare central

Rough had his moments too. 1-0 at Tynecastle in August 1987 springs to mind. Came running out to get to the ball before JC but just ran past him. JC then teed it up and wee Robbo did the rest. 

Goram was good, though. He was in goal for them when we dished out a few doings but they'd have been annihilations if he hadn't been there. 

Dallas Green
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

IMG_20190310_170134.jpg

Cracking pic.

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Rough had his moments too. 1-0 at Tynecastle in August 1987 springs to mind. Came running out to get to the ball before JC but just ran past him. JC then teed it up and wee Robbo did the rest. 

Goram was good, though. He was in goal for them when we dished out a few doings but they'd have been annihilations if he hadn't been there. 

Big Mike McDonald was another star

Disaster

31 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Big Mike McDonald was another star

Disaster

As was his hair. 

On 22/07/2019 at 13:21, martoon said:

I have unusually vivid memories of that testimonial, danny. I think it's because we'd been starved of competitive derbies for four seasons.

I hadn't attended any in the '70's (deemed to young by my dad who knew how out of hand they could get) so my first games v. Hibs were minor games in the early '80's as a teen. A 2-0 reserve win at ER, a fantastic 2-1 win down there in the EoSS in 1981/82 and the preseason Tom Hart game in the summer of '82.

IMG_20190724_234830.jpg

IMG_20190724_234912.jpg

On 22/07/2019 at 13:21, martoon said:

IMG_20190725_000212.jpg

IMG_20190725_000235.jpg

IMG_20190725_000302.jpg

IMG_20190725_000331.jpg

1 hour ago, dannymack said:

IMG_20190725_000212.jpg

IMG_20190725_000235.jpg

IMG_20190725_000302.jpg

IMG_20190725_000331.jpg

Cheers for posting all that stuff, danny. Searched for reports of those games before and drew a blank. 

I started a thread about the 1981/82 EoSS game a few years ago and have bumped it shamelessly every October since. A glorified friendly, in truth, but it meant a lot at the time. 

Enjoyed that 2-1 win at ER more than I did the 2-1 win v. Stenny tonight, that's for sure. :lol:

Edited by martoon

• 2 years later...
On 22/07/2019 at 00:11, dannymack said:

I think the tom hart game was a Sunday.  If finbarr is right about it being the game windows were put in, then I was there. 

The trouble game and the one against rangers where there was similar bother were around the same time.

I can't remember anything that happened in the game. 

Were those two games the only testimonial games we played them that decade? 

Perth to Paisley

If it wasn't this game what was the game that Hearts fans appeared at the back of the bus shelter and they all spilled onto the pitch.

23 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I think the tom hart game was a Sunday.  If finbarr is right about it being the game windows were put in, then I was there. 

The trouble game and the one against rangers where there was similar bother were around the same time.

I can't remember anything that happened in the game. 

Were those two games the only testimonial games we played them that decade? 

The Tom Hart game was an evening ko, Ab.

Warm summer night, iirc, shortly after the 82 World Cup. 

A lot of aggro, almost entirely Gorgie. 🤪

A lot of the trouble in the early 80s seemed to be put down to youngsters so, if I remember correctly, Hearts did away with the boys gate in the home end with all unaccompanied boys having to go in the Gorgie Road end. We were in the First Division so there was not much in the way of away supporters.

12 minutes ago, martoon said:

The Tom Hart game was an evening ko, Ab.

Warm summer night, iirc, shortly after the 82 World Cup. 

A lot of aggro, almost entirely Gorgie. 🤪

I've got that wrong then.  Was it round about the same time as the trouble after  the rangers game?

I also thought the hun trouble one wasn't the semi final win a house game.  

Probably wrong there as well. 

On 22/07/2019 at 00:11, dannymack said:

Yep, remember it well, windows on princess street smashed and if I remember correctly a police motorbike being upended. 

34 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

If it wasn't this game what was the game that Hearts fans appeared at the back of the bus shelter and they all spilled onto the pitch.

Dunfermline v Hearts game was postponed late on, a few Hearts buses returned and went to Easter Rd for the Hibs v Rangers game. 

The game your on about I've heard stories of that incident umpteen times from various folk BUT all have different theories to when it was.

Pasquale for King
On 21/07/2019 at 23:48, dannymack said:

Not me, can't even remember the game being played.

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/198305151.html

IMG_20181017_221406.jpg

I remember him coaching a team that we played against and everyone getting his autograph. I wasn’t keen but got it on my new football, knowing it would come off once it was kicked about a bit. I think I was ten. 

17 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I've got that wrong then.  Was it round about the same time as the trouble after  the rangers game?

I also thought the hun trouble one wasn't the semi final win a house game.  

Probably wrong there as well. 

Aye. We started the League Cup groups the Saturday after. We lost at Motherwell, trouble there too, but won the group, beat St. Mirren over two legs then faced Rangers in the semi final.

I remember a wee bit of aggro after the Ibrox leg. The short trip from the Broomloan to the bus was a bit of a gauntlet but, even at 14, I felt safe enough with the Hearts support around me and my mates.

I know I was at the 2nd leg but I don't recall anything about it.

7 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aye. We started the League Cup groups the Saturday after. We lost at Motherwell, trouble there too, but won the group, beat St. Mirren over two legs then faced Rangers in the semi final.

I remember a wee bit of aggro after the Ibrox leg. The short trip from the Broomloan to the bus was a bit of a gauntlet but, even at 14, I felt safe enough with the Hearts support around me and my mates.

Same age as you, and that senior was my first ibrox visit.  I remember genuinely being amazed at it as teenager.   Couldn't believe mirrors in tbe toilets.  

I remember that game being better than the home leg.  They might've scored early and killed it off. 

I just wanted the sierra after that.  

7 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Same age as you, and that senior was my first ibrox visit.  I remember genuinely being amazed at it as teenager.   Couldn't believe mirrors in tbe toilets.  

I remember that game being better than the home leg.  They might've scored early and killed it off. 

I just wanted the sierra after that.  

The atmosphere was brilliant at Ibrox.

Huge Hearts support and, iirc, we held on to 0-0 until the last 5 minutes. 

Our defence was superb.

1 hour ago, martoon said:

37 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Earliest footage of Robbo in a Hearts shirt, I think.

He played in the famous 5-4 schoolboy game v. England, of course.

Watched that international with my late grandad (Papa we called him). He died the following New Year and I love that he and I, unwittingly, watched a future Hearts legend together.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, dannymack said:

Dunfermline v Hearts game was postponed late on, a few Hearts buses returned and went to Easter Rd for the Hibs v Rangers game. 

The game your on about I've heard stories of that incident umpteen times from various folk BUT all have different theories to when it was.

When the Hearts fans turned up at Festering Road they were amazingly housed in "no mans land" between the Hibs and Rangers fans. Wasn't there myself, got off the train back from Dunfy and went to the Highwayman (no trains to Bathgate back then).

The other game mentioned, Hearts fans piled into the Cave after Busby was sent off for a "tackle" on Arthur Duncan (I think) late on.

11 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

When the Hearts fans turned up at Festering Road they were amazingly housed in "no mans land" between the Hibs and Rangers fans. Wasn't there myself, got off the train back from Dunfy and went to the Highwayman (no trains to Bathgate back then).

The other game mentioned, Hearts fans piled into the Cave after Busby was sent off for a "tackle" on Arthur Duncan (I think) late on.

I was at Meadowbank v. Stenhousemuir that day.

I was 11 and lived close to the stadium that season and if Hearts were away I'd watch the 1st half through the railings and get in free at half time.

A thrilling 0-0 draw and I didn't even count in the official attendance of 80.

Lowest recorded attendance at a league game in Scotland, I believe.

4 hours ago, dannymack said:

I remember a Dunfermline vs Hearts game being postponed - chaos (no communications) Forth Bridge full of Hearts buses .. loads heading into Fife and loads heading back to Edinburgh!

We debated going to fester road but decided against that!