Austin McP

Tommy Walker

Tommy Walker

All the things Craig does through his role as director of football are for the long-term good of the club. I hope to be involved when all these things bear fruit. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/austin-macphee-why-i-ll-never-shirk-responsibility-and-why-i-chose-hearts-over-india-1-4960280

Onup

TW

copa-mundial

Very level headed guy. Not a money chaser. In it purely for football, and to quote "feel wanted."

Said it since the day he arrived here. We are lucky to have this guy at our club.

Never heard an ex pro or current player say anything but great words about him. Testament to himself.

Refreshing to read and if it needed it (even I ask the question at times) reinforced, it matters just as much to them (1st team staff) as it does to the rest of us....

This made be lol 'Sign Kyle Lafferty and I’ll be accountable for it but give me the responsibility of dealing with him at times where he’s annoying you'. Kinda sounds like Austin really went out on a limb to bring Kyle here. 

Jimmy Nicols advice seems really grounding for Austin. A great interview, he seems a really good guy that is driven to succeed. Hopefully he can stick around and help us lift a cup (or two..)

“If we can keep that level of diligence..” beaten in both games he was pleased with, where individual errors cost us ??. Honestly worries me when I read stories like this. We have a culture of patting each other on the back for achieving nothing and have this safety net of all this amazing stuff coming just around the corner. What ever we are doing on the training pitch Monday to Friday isn’t working and it’s plain to see that something has to change. By the sounds of it, nothing is going to. That’s the problem with this excuse culture, we just continue to do the same stuff and hope that it gets better. 

6 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

“If we can keep that level of diligence..” beaten in both games he was pleased with, where individual errors cost us ??. Honestly worries me when I read stories like this. We have a culture of patting each other on the back for achieving nothing and have this safety net of all this amazing stuff coming just around the corner. What ever we are doing on the training pitch Monday to Friday isn’t working and it’s plain to see that something has to change. By the sounds of it, nothing is going to. That’s the problem with this excuse culture, we just continue to do the same stuff and hope that it gets better. 

But you fail to mention the last paragraph in the article . If results aren’t there he won’t still be here. 

A refreshing and honest interview. He knows how much it matters to us supporters to win matches. However, he is smart enough to know that if results are not good then he will be out of a job.

5 minutes ago, Wilson said:

But you fail to mention the last paragraph in the article . If results aren’t there he won’t still be here. 

I like Austin, I don’t want him to leave or to be sacked, I want him to adapt. That was my point. Highlighting two defeats as a measure of him being satisfied with our preparation doesn’t scream that they’ve acknowledged our short comings from last season.

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

I like Austin, I don’t want him to leave or to be sacked, I want him to adapt. That was my point. Highlighting two defeats as a measure of him being satisfied with our preparation doesn’t scream that they’ve acknowledged our short comings from last season.

Are you Chinese? ?

19 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Our defeats against Celtic were fine margins. I think the bigger concern is an inability to approach the smaller teams with the same attitude. A win against Celtic is a great feeling but ultimately its worth the same as a win V St Mirren, Dundee, Livi, Motherwell etc. The only difference being that there are a lot more smaller clubs in the league. We'd do far better to be consistent against the smaller clubs IMO.

Not that i'm saying there should be a trade off, every game matters. 

Enzo Chiefo
16 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I thought that too. We really want to be hearing him talk about how we make the step up, from 6th to challenging the top 4, from finalists to winners. About changing the style of play from a slow passing, then hoof, style to a faster, more dynamic style, with genuine wingers. He is very creative with his free kick routines and deserves credit for that but, what he, along with Daly and Fox do on the training pitch simply isn't working. It's hard to imagine a coach or manager at the OF talking about replicating the "diligence " that went into preparing for a crucial Cup Final that was lost.

8 minutes ago, OTT said:

Our defeats against Celtic were fine margins. I think the bigger concern is an inability to approach the smaller teams with the same attitude. A win against Celtic is a great feeling but ultimately its worth the same as a win V St Mirren, Dundee, Livi, Motherwell etc. The only difference being that there are a lot more smaller clubs in the league. We'd do far better to be consistent against the smaller clubs IMO.

Not that i'm saying there should be a trade off, every game matters. 

Yeah I agree, I’d like to feel like we’ve put the same level of prep into the games against the lesser sides. We didn’t have an answer against Livi in every game we played them, I put the cup game in that as well. We didn’t seem to adapt to playing against their style, just played in the same manner as the previous meetings against them. 

I don't think the celtic games where fine margins, the bounce game at Celtic park maybe but the cup final we lost cause we didn’t have a plan B. Yes we made individual mistakes but the like for like subs killed us. There not being a plan for when Haring went off other than like for like, killed us. Individual errors had killed plan A, the management team not having a Plan B killed our chances. 

Am hoping to see a big improvement this season tho. We’ve talked a good game for too long now, need to deliver. I’ve said in previous threads etc that a poor performance against United will ramp the pressure up 10 fold. 

Captain Canada
37 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I understand what you're saying but I think the preparation was really good for those games.

No coach or manager can stop individual errors being made in the heat of a game. I'm sure Berra knows how to play the offside trap properly but a lapse in concentration in the final cost us dearly. 

cosanostra
40 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Interesting post.

3 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I understand what you're saying but I think the preparation was really good for those games.

No coach or manager can stop individual errors being made in the heat of a game. I'm sure Berra knows how to play the offside trap properly but a lapse in concentration in the final cost us dearly. 

I agree that we had unforced errors that didn’t help but we didn’t have a plan B for when Haring has to go off. Our decision to just make like for like subs and hope that they could carry out plan A, even tho we where now losing, killed us. I don’t doubt the level prep that Austin puts into these games but somewhere along the line this prep isn’t benefiting the team and or the communication is breaking down. No point prep’ing like mad if the players can’t or don’t understand how to implement it on the park. The approach isn’t working. 

He would take a cup final and semi final every year.

Clearly doesn't read this site, or even worse Hearts facebook.....

doctor jambo
56 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

You can either be a Neil Lennon , or an Austin macphee.

Hackney Hearts
5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

He would take a cup final and semi final every year.

Yeah, I would just add "so long as we win them both".

i.e. would take a cup and a losing final every year (or even every 2/3 years TBH)

Enlightening interview and it's clear that this is a long term project. Funny how the football experts on this thread still claim to know what's best for the club.

Good interview. Nothing really new, though. Hopefully the “long term” meets current reality soon, in terms of the first team.

Nookie Bear

Seems pretty settled in for the duration. 

Says a lot without actually saying much. Clearly the end of season report focussed on the long term objectives. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Dear oh dear. Your bitterness towards Hearts is an embarrassment to yourself. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I thought that too. We really want to be hearing him talk about how we make the step up, from 6th to challenging the top 4, from finalists to winners. About changing the style of play from a slow passing, then hoof, style to a faster, more dynamic style, with genuine wingers. He is very creative with his free kick routines and deserves credit for that but, what he, along with Daly and Fox do on the training pitch simply isn't working. It's hard to imagine a coach or manager at the OF talking about replicating the "diligence " that went into preparing for a crucial Cup Final that was lost.

Image result for shocked gif

2 hours ago, Tommy Walker said:

All the things Craig does through his role as director of football are for the long-term good of the club. I hope to be involved when all these things bear fruit. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/austin-macphee-why-i-ll-never-shirk-responsibility-and-why-i-chose-hearts-over-india-1-4960280

Onup

TW

Very decent person this guy 

I like hom but personally think he may have too much influence over tactics and playing style which leads to the inconsistency in term selection and performances, and this is to align with Levein’s bootroom philosophy and succession plan. We should have proven cochaes and management across the first team operation. 

46 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Dear oh dear. Your bitterness towards Hearts is an embarrassment to yourself. 

Nothing bitter about it. 

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, busby1985 said:

Nothing bitter about it. 

Your rush to always find the negative angle on everything does come across as very bitter. 

Just now, Bridge of Djoum said:

Your rush to always find the negative angle on everything does come across as very bitter. 

Or could be seen as a realistic approach to things considering we have finished back to back 6th and seem to be regressing despite hearing continually about how exciting the future is going to be. Just comes across as bitter just now as there is such a divide amongst the fans about Levein and co, at the moment. Results on the park will shut me up. 

Phil D. Corners

Great read. 

I’ve always believed that Craig and Ann are building a club for the future. Im positive it will soon all click in to place. 

Nookie Bear
Just now, Phil D. Corners said:

Great read. 

I’ve always believed that Craig and Ann are building a club for the future. Im positive it will soon all click in to place. 

2nd this season ??

Bridge of Djoum
7 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Or could be seen as a realistic approach to things considering we have finished back to back 6th and seem to be regressing despite hearing continually about how exciting the future is going to be. Just comes across as bitter just now as there is such a divide amongst the fans about Levein and co, at the moment. Results on the park will shut me up. 

Ah, the I'm not bitter I'm a realist argument. 

Mate, I'm a realist, but I can still be positive and happy. I don't actively look for the bad things in life. Don't you ever just look at your posts and just think ''man, I'm one miserable ****''.

''Such a divide'. In reality, chief, folk don't really give a **** at the moment. Go enjoy your summer, take a break from ''realism''. Hearts will be along soon enough to ruin the rest of your year.

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

I have a few mates in Belfast who think we are very lucky to have such a professional and level headed individual at the club

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Smart guy, just wish he'd do something about that f****** hair! 

Words of a man who has had the same £5 haircut, from the same barber, for the last 20 years ...

1 hour ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Ah, the I'm not bitter I'm a realist argument. 

Mate, I'm a realist, but I can still be positive and happy. I don't actively look for the bad things in life. Don't you ever just look at your posts and just think ''man, I'm one miserable ****''.

''Such a divide'. In reality, chief, folk don't really give a **** at the moment. Go enjoy your summer, take a break from ''realism''. Hearts will be along soon enough to ruin the rest of your year.

I constantly look back and think “what a miserable prick” ?. Problem I have with it all is am right. I want nothing more than hearts to prove me wrong, they rarely do tho. Suppose that’s why I like it. Lose today and my week will be ruined until Friday ?

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, busby1985 said:

I constantly look back and think “what a miserable prick” ?. Problem I have with it all is am right. I want nothing more than hearts to prove me wrong, they rarely do tho. Suppose that’s why I like it. Lose today and my week will be ruined until Friday ?

Well, as long as you're happy being miserable, mate.

Enjoy your week.?

Well, as long as you're happy being miserable, mate.

Enjoy your week.?

Nil nil after 26 minutes, going to be a terrible week. 

Looks like a few on JKB have memory issues. When CL had his medical problems last season, Austin took over and we did very well. So much so that many wanted him as the next manager. Then later on the season when things went belly up we had a plethora of negative comments on the coaching staff and Austin in particular. I just wish the negative posters would realise that for people like Austin and JW being part of Hearts is a joy.

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, Prof said:

Looks like a few on JKB have memory issues. When CL had his medical problems last season, Austin took over and we did very well. So much so that many wanted him as the next manager. Then later on the season when things went belly up we had a plethora of negative comments on the coaching staff and Austin in particular. I just wish the negative posters would realise that for people like Austin and JW being part of Hearts is a joy.

'very well'

He was in charge for 1 game v St Mirren

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Nil nil after 26 minutes, going to be a terrible week. 

Genuinely laughed at that.

2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

'very well'

He was in charge for 1 game v St Mirren

There’s always one that has to come out with negative bullshit. You are it.

rudi must stay
8 minutes ago, Prof said:

There’s always one that has to come out with negative bullshit. You are it.

That game didnt showed anything about his managerial qualities. 

But the article shows he has a great attitude so well done to him. Also shows we are being run sensibly behind the scenes

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Smart guy, just wish he'd do something about that f****** hair! 

:laugh: what a ridiculous post. School holidays I suppose. 

I don't think Austin was saying he's chuffed with two defeats to Celtic and folk are being intentionally obtuse if that's what they are making out. We nearly beat Celtic in the cup final, a game no one, including most on here, gave us a chance in. And aye, failure is failure still. But what he saying is if they can get that same approach to the game correct in all games, we will consistently win games.

I like him, think he's a loyal, hard working and intelligent guy who cares about the job. I reckon he'll go on to very good things but like with everything, the results probably need to start coming sooner rather than later now, otherwise this sort of interview, as impressive as he is, will look like all talk and no action. I reckon we'll see that improvement this year though. Genuinely feels like something great is close. 

Bridge of Djoum
25 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

My week is in tatters now. 

You'll be delighted then.

You'll be delighted then.

Am a ray of sunshine compared to some on here. Surely no as miserable as them?