• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_A wehatethehibs

• The Internet

• JackLadd

• vegas-voss

7 hours ago, thecorrieorphin said:

McGinn is s decent player but no more than that . Villa were going nowhere a couple of months ago and the fans were restless. 

Then Jack Grealesh came back from injury . Now apparently it’s all to do with McGinn they were promoted 

McGinn was player of the year for Villa and he single handily won the play off final...I’m a hearts fan but you can’t be blinkered to the fact he is a decent player, £50m though is ridiculous 

41 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Even at half that @ 10% sell on.... what a windfall. 

Yes for Hibs. Gives Ms Dumpster the chance to say that Hibs have the highest income outside the OF. A nice cue for the slavering journos at the EEHobo to spin the yarn about the Hobos being the best run club in the country.

Finlay James

The quoted transfer fee is just ridiculous but that aside, I wouldn't be shocked by this move.

Mcginn is massively well thought of down here, they rave about him on talksport etc and this has inflated his fee.  He's not anywhere near a £50M player but he's certainly doing well in a tough environment where the margins of success are tiny.  For me, he would be a squad player at MU but an important one.  Ferguson made signings such as this (David May, Henning Berg spring to mind) during his time there and they were generally successful and this looks to me like Solskjaer replicating that policy.

Pity its Hibs but fair play to any Scottish club who hold English or old firm teams to ransom and get a pay day out of it.  The more of these we get, the more money gets reinvested in Scottish football.

pettigrewsstylist

All irrelevant and rumour at mo. For any Scottish club to acheive 3-5 mill from sell on clause must be considered fantastic business. If we did it we would be creaming ourselves. Food for thought if Soutter bids come in.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

I never really got it with him. In that Hibs midfield I preferred McGeouch. £50 million for a player who's never off his fat arse? Games a bogie.

A_A wehatethehibs

Good business for them if they get a bit of sell on cash, it’s great for Scottish football that McGinn is another success story of not going to the old firm

Hope he gets similar to Robbo 100k a week, 5x more than any old firm player. That rams home the message - old firm is a dead end move. 

31 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

People still going on about transfer fees as if they mean something :lol:

They do massively for clubs like Hearts and Hibs. In the elite of the EPL it's just imaginary figures that go round and round. A few million sets clubs like us up for a good couple of years stability, as long as it's not mismanaged. 

Don't think he leaves Villa now, no doubt will at some point and fair play to Hibs getting a profit from it.

Jambo 4 Ever
56 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good business for them if they get a bit of sell on cash, it’s great for Scottish football that McGinn is another success story of not going to the old firm

Hope he gets similar to Robbo 100k a week, 5x more than any old firm player. That rams home the message - old firm is a dead end move. 

This

good news for Scottish players 

The Internet
9 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

They do massively for clubs like Hearts and Hibs. In the elite of the EPL it's just imaginary figures that go round and round. A few million sets clubs like us up for a good couple of years stability, as long as it's not mismanaged. 

Don't think he leaves Villa now, no doubt will at some point and fair play to Hibs getting a profit from it.

Agree, meant to add 'at the top level' or something along those lines. Every single transfer you get comments like 'he's not worth x' as if it makes a lot more sense if you knock a few million off the unrelatable number. 

46 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

People still going on about transfer fees as if they mean something :lol:

All done in the never, never down there. Fantasy amounts that boost the balance sheets.  When one the big clubs eventualy folds down there the knock on effect will be huge.

19 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Agree, meant to add 'at the top level' or something along those lines. Every single transfer you get comments like 'he's not worth x' as if it makes a lot more sense if you knock a few million off the unrelatable number. 

Totally.

Lucky if £10m would buy the tea lady from Crewe Alexandra down south nowadays!

All nonsense. I find it funny when a team bids say £15m, team rejects it, so buying team comes back with £25m bid. No real negotiations at that level, just get him in and we will sort it later on.

11 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

His agent trying to get him an improved contract at Villa. Pretend he's in demand by EPL clubs.......you know the rest....!

Crazy transfer fee for a guy who's had one good season in the Championship.

I do think he's good enough though for the level Man U are at, I reckon he's capable of playing at a Europa League level. Depends on if they want to get back to where they were or not though. If they do, they need better...he wouldn't be good enough for any of the teams who finished above them last year (maybe Arsenal aside.)

10 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Would agree with that. The stock of Scottish player is higher than ever, and players from the Scottish Premiership are showing they bring quality. The player who Rangers signed from Charlton had Lee Bowyer and some pundits from Talksport raging and moaning that going to Scotland will mean these players will never amount to anything rather than staying in England. However Van Dijk has shown the opposite, even coming up on loan can bring forward a player for example Maddison at Aberdeen, Longstaff at Kilmarnock (now wanted by Man U.) Dembele could have gone to Tottenham, but went to Celtic, developed and moved onto Lyon where he is demand.

Celtic holding out for £25m for Tierney (which I reckon they will get up front, if not it will be close to that with add-ons) is a big statement if they get that, if Aberdeen sell McKenna close for what they are wanting then that is another statement. Hopefully we can get a large amount for Souttar. Motherwell held out for a good amount for Turnball and though that has fallen through, if he comes back and plays the way he did before, Motherwell will get a bigger fee.

I would argue Scottish clubs are benefiting from being on a stable footing financially. Money is tight but finances are managed and means they are not in trouble if they dont sell player x quickly, so it means clubs dont accept the really low offer. Funnily enough if prices rise in scottish football then the ones who suffer would be the old firm who could not afford to cherry pick young Scottish talent as easily as they did before.

If Scottish players start going for decent fees and becoming lynch-pins in EPL teams like they did in the past, it should raise the game here and improve the national side. It is starting to happen. 

McGinn is decent in the right system but so far has been almost a hindrance when playing for Scotland, so it's not just anti-hib/anti-that-face sentiment that people on here are judging him on. 

jamboiain13
10 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Sutton's article about Tierney is bang on.   You can see why Celtic would be asking for more after Van Dyke is now being hailed as one of the best in the world.  Dembele too at Lyon could go for silly money.

https://talksport.com/football/565841/arsenal-transfer-kieran-tierney-celtic-chris-sutton/

And we get laughed at for valuing Souttar anywhere near £5M.   

£5M down south is like change found down the back of the sofa for them.  Even if he never plays a game for the team he may sign for, they will still sell him for a pile of cash.

Look at the amount of money Chelsea's young players go for that have never played a game for them.   Usually well above £10M

This...I firmly believe John Souttar should not be sold for anything less than £10 million with at least a 10-15% sell on clause.  If John realises his full potential then he will no doubt play for a top half EPL side.  

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Over £1m a year salary is not a dead end move.  :rofl: 

5 hours ago, TheStig said:

Not so long ago £50m once bought you Zidane, imo the greatest player to grace the game. Now £50m gets you a decent championship player. **** that im out.

That was 18 years ago though! 18 years before that you could get Maradonna for £10M.

12 minutes ago, Cal_ said:

That was 18 years ago though! 18 years before that you could get Maradonna for £10M.

It was a lot of money back then for world class players, now its a lot of money for nobodys. Mcginn has done absolutely nothing in football to even be mentioned with that kind of money, its just getting well out of hand if true.

End of day have to say great signing for hibs and is a excellent player that I think will prove to be good enough for the premiership. Even has hearts fan not going to hate on guy...to me seems honest hard working player.

BUT 50m and Manchester united seems ridiculous at best. Even if has good season next year in premier league still cant see how he be 50m and be lined up by top bracket team.

Manchester united trying to close gap on liverpool and city so sign john McGinn ???‍♂️?rate McGinn but such a stupid rumour

A_A wehatethehibs
39 minutes ago, graygo said:

Over £1m a year salary is not a dead end move.  :rofl: 

You can earn £1m playing for Celtic or £1m playing for Villa.

Which one is more of the dead end move and which one has the better career progression? 

The only reason to play for the old firm is as a stepping stone to England.

Robertson, Paterson, McGinn show that if you’re good enough at Hibs or Dundee United or Hearts or any other Scottish club, you don’t need that stepping stone you can take the direct route. Young players need to be encouraged to do that. 

The more examples of this, the better it is for the Scottish game, it’s important for young Scots to escape the “the old firm is a good move” delusion, in the modern day it isn’t, it’s a dead end, the real progress is going to the big leagues.

Look at Tierney who’s progress as a footballer is being halted because Celtic think they are as big and important as the Premier League. They want silly money and that means Tierney faces the very real prospect of having to play under Neil fecking Lennon next season when he could be playing for Arsenal in a different stratosphere of football quality.

Jambo 4 Ever
44 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

If John McGinn is worth £50mill then I’m done with this sport

See ya

It should have been ten
6 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I never really got it with him. In that Hibs midfield I preferred McGeouch. £50 million for a player who's never off his fat arse? Games a bogie.

Yep agree with that

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

A bit of truth in there.

Also, Alan looked the more dangerous in general but was alway ****ed after at most  60 minutes. 

I was done with football valuations when a 30 year old Grant Hanley went for about £6m a few years ago. 

Nothing will top that imo. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Shows how little I know about football. I always thought Dylan McGeough was the better of the two for Hibs.

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

A player is worth what the buying club is willing to pay.

The fact that they chuck money about like confetti down there is neither here nor there, I'm afraid.

Just because a club is willing to throw huge sums of money at other clubs to get a player doesn’t mean he’s worth that. Look at Neymar he’s a good player but in no way is he worth £200mill. 

The Internet
Just now, letsalldothebeattie said:

Just because a club is willing to throw huge sums of money at other clubs to get a player doesn’t mean he’s worth that. Look at Neymar he’s a good player but in no way is he worth £200mill. 

Pretty irrelevant if the club pays it though isn't it. 

Stink Midden had 30% of the Villa deal we can only guess what Hibs end of a Man U move would be. I'd guess 20% at least. 

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Stink Midden had 30% of the Villa deal we can only guess what Hibs end of a Man U move would be. I'd guess 20% at least. 

The good thing for St Mirren is that any money Hibs get from the sell on clause, they are entitled to 30% of that.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

davemclaren
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The good thing for St Mirren is that any money Hibs get from the sell on clause, they are entitled to 30% of that.

Have Hibs got a sell on clause? I think this story of a 5o million pound value ridiculous tbh. ?

Stupid Sexy Flanders
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

He wasn't. 

Don't know if you're replying to me there. Yeah, obviously he wasn't. 

How ****ing stupid are clubs like Utd though.They must have known something about him before Villa signed him so could have got him for 3 or 4 million then farmed him out to a championship club for the season to see how he developed.

16 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

They'll get 3.5% per Fifa development rules. The sell on fee doesn't transfer with every move. 

He's pap. Give him a year in PL to be found out and he'll be worth 5 mill.  Seen it in the games for Scotland, can't control the midfield and has a brainfart every 20 mins. For 50 mill Man U can go to La Liga and pick up two quality promising midfielders.

pettigrewsstylist
7 hours ago, jamboiain13 said:

This...I firmly believe John Souttar should not be sold for anything less than £10 million with at least a 10-15% sell on clause.  If John realises his full potential then he will no doubt play for a top half EPL side.  

It is definitley where we are getting to. Indeed it could be argued, some way down the road, it could be clubs like ours main source of income over a period such as a decade. Suspect the EPL bubble has to burst sometine tho.

tokyowalnut
1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

He's pap. Give him a year in PL to be found out and he'll be worth 5 mill.  Seen it in the games for Scotland, can't control the midfield and has a brainfart every 20 mins. For 50 mill Man U can go to La Liga and pick up two quality promising midfielders.

He's not really though. When fans and players name him their player of the year it shows he has something. He also scored the best volley I saw from any European league last season, if there was a better one I'd be keen to see it! 

If Grealish is being quoted at mega money, McGinn must now be a £20-25 million player, but not £50m, he has a couple of season to prove he is at that level.

Still looks like he was born under a rock. 

9 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You can earn £1m playing for Celtic or £1m playing for Villa.

Which one is more of the dead end move and which one has the better career progression? 

The only reason to play for the old firm is as a stepping stone to England.

Robertson, Paterson, McGinn show that if you’re good enough at Hibs or Dundee United or Hearts or any other Scottish club, you don’t need that stepping stone you can take the direct route. Young players need to be encouraged to do that. 

The more examples of this, the better it is for the Scottish game, it’s important for young Scots to escape the “the old firm is a good move” delusion, in the modern day it isn’t, it’s a dead end, the real progress is going to the big leagues.

Look at Tierney who’s progress as a footballer is being halted because Celtic think they are as big and important as the Premier League. They want silly money and that means Tierney faces the very real prospect of having to play under Neil fecking Lennon next season when he could be playing for Arsenal in a different stratosphere of football quality.

I get what you are saying and agree with it but that only applies to the elite few, generally speaking a move to either of the arse cheeks is a great move for most Scottish players.

Inch Hearts
2 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Forget he played for them.  He’s a class player. 

McGinn is better than I want to ever acknowledge, but 50m FFS that's ridiculous. 

He is decent but never Man United quality and if they are sniffing about him it says more about where they are as a club right now than McGinn 

Saint Jambo
15 hours ago, JackLadd said:

They'll get 3.5% per Fifa development rules. The sell on fee doesn't transfer with every move. 

Depends what the original sell on clause actually said. If it said, 30% of all transfer revenue Hibs receive in relation to McGinn that would include a 30% slice of any money Hibs receive from a sale by Villa. That would be an absolutely sensible way to structure the clause as otherwise Hibs are incentivised to take a lower up front price with lots of add ons and a high sell on percentage.

11 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Forget he played for them.  He’s a class player. 

Disagree, why doesn't McLean at Norwich get any of the same headlines? Because he keeps the ball and doesn't spend half the game running after possessions he's lost. He also doesn't take wild shots every 2 mins 99% which end up in the stand.  He's a good player but one of those players who looks good because he's running about like a headless chicken. Next time you see him play watch closely, he will make high number of stray passes and clumsy tackles in dangerous areas.  Now of course he would get in the Hearts team but we're talking about 50 mil being quoted for him hence my harsh assessment. 

Are united not interested in the young lad Longstaff at Newcastle, who is proven at that level and available for half the price.