• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_A wehatethehibs

• The Internet

• JackLadd

• jamboinglasgow

April fool’s day was three months ago. He’s a good player but as a Scotland regular, every international game he’s played, he’s given the ball away and the opposition have either scored or had a shot on goal. 

Cruyff Turn
Just now, Armageddon said:

Haha only last week some Hobbit at work was telling me they've a 30% sell on clause ???

I don’t know about 30% but they certainly have a sell on clause. 

jamboinglasgow

Though Aston Villa will never get £50m for him, this shows how vital that any players we sell to England must have a sell on fee as part of the deal.

Selkirkhmfc1874

The lads a good football player but I'd be very surprised if man utd wanted him and even more surprised if Aston villa got anywhere near that kind of money 

Not sure why all the scoffing, he’s v decent and couldn’t have done any better in his first season. If I’m right was voted  players player and fans player this season by folks who see him week in week out. Wish we’d get over it sometimes. Our wanting to rubbish that kind of transfer fee is sad reflection on how we see ourselves. 

The Old Tolbooth

Talk about mixed feelings! 

As a Hearts fan, I'd be devastated if Hibs were to get that much for a sell on clause as they'd dine out on that forever more! 

As a Liverpool fan, I'd be absolutely delighted if that's the shite Man Utd are looking to spend so much money on, it's utterly laughable! 

rudi must stay
22 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

I'm convinced you're an undercover hibs fan at times.

Just say what I feel mate

McGinn would be a bold move. But he ran the game in the play offs and would add something 

Championship player promoted to the EPL via a play off worth 50 mil.....

Clowns believing that pish :rofl:

The Old Tolbooth
36 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Fair play to Ole

Interesting stuff

Let's hope Ole Gunnar Fraudster continues on this signing pattern, only a 3 year contract? Please extend it ????

thecorrieorphin

McGinn is s decent player but no more than that . Villa were going nowhere a couple of months ago and the fans were restless. 

Then Jack Grealesh came back from injury . Now apparently it’s all to do with McGinn they were promoted 

gorgie rd eh11
19 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Not sure why all the scoffing, he’s v decent and couldn’t have done any better in his first season. If I’m right was voted  players player and fans player this season by folks who see him week in week out. Wish we’d get over it sometimes. Our wanting to rubbish that kind of transfer fee is sad reflection on how we see ourselves. 

:teehee:

All this because Wan-Bissaka went for 50m and United need a midfielder... more guesswork from The Sun

Ibrahim Tall
25 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Because literally none of that makes him either worth £50m or good enough for one of the biggest clubs in the world?

4 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Because literally none of that makes him either worth £50m or good enough for one of the biggest clubs in the world?

Perhaps Man U is a bit of a stretch (at the moment) but no doubt he will be on the radar of a few top 10 clubs. I’m more disappointed in our default view that ex SPL players don’t belong much  beyond the Championship, something which Celtic must be squirming about.  

Hang on, so he has 1 good season in the the championship and now he's worth £50M?

McGinn is a good player, but not good enough for Man Utd.  Nothing to do with him be an ex Hibs player.

Good to see Scottish players value rising though.  Will only help the game up here.  As I said on another thread, Brexit will be interesting for work permits, so British players could be at an even higher premium than just Champions League registration.

afanderson33
35 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Just say what I feel mate

McGinn would be a bold move. But he ran the game in the play offs and would add something 

What would he add to the biggest club in world football besides a giant arse and a tendency to get caught on the ball against higher quality teams?

CloustonHMFC

The £50mil talk is just to try ward off anyone who could potentially be interested but I reckon £20mil+ and their arse would fold. 

There is absolutely no denying that McGinn is a quality player though and could go for some seriously big money if he stays at Villa and replicates last season form. 

Edited by DarioHMFC

1 minute ago, feedthefox said:

Perhaps Man U is a bit of a stretch (at the moment) but no doubt he will be on the radar of a few top 10 clubs. I’m more disappointed in our default view that ex SPL players don’t belong much  beyond the Championship, something which Celtic must be squirming about.  

Sutton's article about Tierney is bang on.   You can see why Celtic would be asking for more after Van Dyke is now being hailed as one of the best in the world.  Dembele too at Lyon could go for silly money.

https://talksport.com/football/565841/arsenal-transfer-kieran-tierney-celtic-chris-sutton/

And we get laughed at for valuing Souttar anywhere near £5M.   

£5M down south is like change found down the back of the sofa for them.  Even if he never plays a game for the team he may sign for, they will still sell him for a pile of cash.

Look at the amount of money Chelsea's young players go for that have never played a game for them.   Usually well above £10M

Mr Elwood P

The Sun actually have a very good track record when it comes to transfer rumours. Also think Aston Villa rejected some large bids for Grealish last season when they were a Championship club. Being an EPL club probably doubles the asking price in the current market. Not sure about £50m but McGinn is a very good player and will play at a higher level than Villa. 

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Sutton's article about Tierney is bang on.   You can see why Celtic would be asking for more after Van Dyke is now being hailed as one of the best in the world.  Dembele too at Lyon could go for silly money.

https://talksport.com/football/565841/arsenal-transfer-kieran-tierney-celtic-chris-sutton/

£5M down south is like change found down the back of the sofa for them.  Even if he never plays a game for the team he may sign for, they will still sell him for a pile of cash.

Look at the amount of money Chelsea's young players go for that have never played a game for them.   Usually well above £10M

Totally agree 100%. We need the likes of McGinn and now Tierney to drag the value of Scottish based players out the bargain basement. 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Would agree with that. The stock of Scottish player is higher than ever, and players from the Scottish Premiership are showing they bring quality. The player who Rangers signed from Charlton had Lee Bowyer and some pundits from Talksport raging and moaning that going to Scotland will mean these players will never amount to anything rather than staying in England. However Van Dijk has shown the opposite, even coming up on loan can bring forward a player for example Maddison at Aberdeen, Longstaff at Kilmarnock (now wanted by Man U.) Dembele could have gone to Tottenham, but went to Celtic, developed and moved onto Lyon where he is demand.

Celtic holding out for £25m for Tierney (which I reckon they will get up front, if not it will be close to that with add-ons) is a big statement if they get that, if Aberdeen sell McKenna close for what they are wanting then that is another statement. Hopefully we can get a large amount for Souttar. Motherwell held out for a good amount for Turnball and though that has fallen through, if he comes back and plays the way he did before, Motherwell will get a bigger fee.

I would argue Scottish clubs are benefiting from being on a stable footing financially. Money is tight but finances are managed and means they are not in trouble if they dont sell player x quickly, so it means clubs dont accept the really low offer. Funnily enough if prices rise in scottish football then the ones who suffer would be the old firm who could not afford to cherry pick young Scottish talent as easily as they did before.

This is obviously about the market not the fact he's Scottish. Aston Villa playing the press to big up their own player, set the price for any interest in him or Grealish (who is de facto worth more). Don't understand the obsession with McGinn, none of us have watched him every week so it's impossible to have a realistic opinion of him. 

10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Would agree with that. The stock of Scottish player is higher than ever, and players from the Scottish Premiership are showing they bring quality. The player who Rangers signed from Charlton had Lee Bowyer and some pundits from Talksport raging and moaning that going to Scotland will mean these players will never amount to anything rather than staying in England. However Van Dijk has shown the opposite, even coming up on loan can bring forward a player for example Maddison at Aberdeen, Longstaff at Kilmarnock (now wanted by Man U.) Dembele could have gone to Tottenham, but went to Celtic, developed and moved onto Lyon where he is demand.

Celtic holding out for £25m for Tierney (which I reckon they will get up front, if not it will be close to that with add-ons) is a big statement if they get that, if Aberdeen sell McKenna close for what they are wanting then that is another statement. Hopefully we can get a large amount for Souttar. Motherwell held out for a good amount for Turnball and though that has fallen through, if he comes back and plays the way he did before, Motherwell will get a bigger fee.

I would argue Scottish clubs are benefiting from being on a stable footing financially. Money is tight but finances are managed and means they are not in trouble if they dont sell player x quickly, so it means clubs dont accept the really low offer. Funnily enough if prices rise in scottish football then the ones who suffer would be the old firm who could not afford to cherry pick young Scottish talent as easily as they did before.

:sweeet:

19 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think it's mainly now coming from Robertson's success at Liverpool.  Much like the Vardy effect a few years ago when teams started looking further down the leagues for talent.

All you need down south is, say 1 out of 10 buys to be a real success.  Again, even with the players that don't make it, they still sell them for cash.

Souttar is already more valuable than McKenna IMO.  People keep saying he is a big huddy, because....   he is.   I just don't see what other people do.  Yeah he is big and strong, but he looks thick AF.  On the pitch I mean.  He reminds me of Jimmy Dunne, but Dunne was a clever player.

Edit :   Forgot about Deli Alli too.

Edited by Lovecraft

2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

No better than the Sun but the Mail have picked it up too

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7196563/Manchester-United-prepare-bid-50m-rated-Aston-Villa-star-John-McGinn.html

Bonkers. The Pogba and Neymar deals just made prices insane.

Edited by Spellczech

Cruyff Turn
44 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The Sun actually have a very good track record when it comes to transfer rumours. Also think Aston Villa rejected some large bids for Grealish last season when they were a Championship club. Being an EPL club probably doubles the asking price in the current market. Not sure about £50m but McGinn is a very good player and will play at a higher level than Villa. 

Agree, McGinn was immense for Villa last season, he dominated at Championship level, he’s a very good player and he will show next season that he’s more than good enough to play in the Prem.

I don’t think £50million is a genuine price tag for him or that Man Utd are interested but you honestly never know these days, the prices in that league are absolutely mental. 

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

No better than the Sun but the Mail have picked it up too

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7196563/Manchester-United-prepare-bid-50m-rated-Aston-Villa-star-John-McGinn.html

Bonkers. The Pogba and Neymar deals just made prices insane.

They are just reporting the Sun article (something annoying papers do is as soon as one media outlet reports a transfer story, everyone repeats it (crediting the original source in the article) but it looks initially like confirmation of the story.

Cruyff Turn
23 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Sailor Jerry is 40% and I've drunk 3/4 of a bottle tonight. But reading this i'm wondering if it was laced with smack

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can remember commenting on a thread several times when he was linked with us about how we should move heaven and earth to try and sign him and the posters who said he wasn't Hearts standard are still here. :laugh:

He's a decent player and we clearly missed the boat with that one. Pretty sure we couldn't afford him even if Neilson had wanted him.

50m and Man United sounds pretty silly though.

Don't see this happening, that said, I would like to see more Scottish lads breaking into top sides. Man Utd need to avoid the big name signings, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku don't seem to really be doing it. Maybe going for lesser known players with lesser egos might be the way to build a sustainable foundation. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Given that arsehole Woodward is still in charge of transfers, anything is possible. :vrface:

Not so long ago £50m once bought you Zidane, imo the greatest player to grace the game. Now £50m gets you a decent championship player. **** that im out.

Man United seriously need to appoint a director of football. McGinn is a decent enough player, but wouldn't even get near the bench at any of the clubs they are looking to compete with.

Mind you perhaps the benchmark is the £30 million plus that Chelsea paid for Danny Drinkwater.

manaliveits105

Stick out arse wait for contact - fall over

if no contact turn push ball past nearest player then run into him - fall over

If no opposition nearby - give ball away - fall over

The banjo boy football manual

Any big club manager signing him will be out before Christmas

Bazzas right boot

£50m seems a bit much for an untested player. 

Fraser was rumoured to be valued at around £30-£40m and he's proven. 

£50m is a bit high but £20-30m  seems to be the standard rate for a decent player, players who have played a handful of games go fo £10m +. 

The value of money is irrelevent down there now.