*** Official England v Scotland Match Thread ***

redm

Cuthbert had the sort of heart and fight that a few of our male team could learn from. Liked her.

Enjoyed that - one thing about women's football is that it is more open and attack minded (generally) - obviously having Scotland involved helps the interst levels.

I do think we've hit the sweet spot timing wide putting money into our female team. Women's football is going to change quickly after this world cup - will be a shrewd investment IMO as it will go pro and we have a good infrastructure in place to benefit from that. Gender equality drives  within big corporations will also see good sponsorship and partnerships opportunities

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stephen Muddie

• Maroon Sailor

• Bazzas right boot

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some good touches and passing. Liked the skills shown by Scotland's 18.

Lack of power to rifle the ball though, can only recall that late England shot as being well struck.

Poor crowd and zero atmosphere didn't help I guess. Bit like watching St Johnstone v Hamilton in terms of emotional input...it's football but without the personal involvement I'd expect in a Scotland match.

Hackney Hearts

So frustrating that they didn't lump it forward in the last 20 seconds. Got to go for it at that point.

Enjoyed the game and relieved that we made it so competitive.

But.... I thought VAR was supposed clear up controversy, rather than create it? There was a half-hearted appeal from an England player, but the commentators didn't even notice it. The game had moved on, the players had moved on. It was a ridiculous decision and apart from the score, it seemed to have a huge influence on the mentality of the players; Scotland had started really well but suddenly looked baffled and deflated. The English nerves were settled and they started playing.

7 minutes ago, heartmussel said:

Eamonn Brophy could probably do a job up front.

? Think the defenders looked a bit robust for him:ermm:

This Penalty rule change is going to cause no end of controversy, basically hits an arm in the box and it’s a penalty. It’s clearly a rule made up by some committee with arseholes who’ve  never played a game of football! It’s wrong and needs scrapped now!!!

Kirky Jambo

The VAR decision was scandalous. As an above poster alluded to, it’s supposed to avoid blatant injustices not create controversy.

A few of Scotland’s players really impressed me, Alexander, Corsie and Cuthbert in particular. Elmslie puts in a shift and nobody let themselves down. Kerr speaks very well but I thought the team lacked a bit of coherency and wonder if that was due to the set up.

2 hours ago, Jaap's Sigh said:

If there’s a review required the ref is informed and takes a look at the next stoppage in play. 

Ok, what if the next stoppage is a goal for the other side?

Imo this is a bad idea that could ruin the game.

Alex Kintner

So proud of the team. Gave their all and made it a real contest despite such a difficult earlyish setback. Should gove them loads of confidence for the next two matches ??

Jaap's Sigh
10 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Ok, what if the next stoppage is a goal for the other side?

Imo this is a bad idea that could ruin the game.

This was spoken about during the last World Cup. The review happens after the ‘goal’ and if the ref decides there was an infringement then the play is pulled back and the ‘goal’ doesn’t stand. 

Dagger Is Back
46 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

This Penalty rule change is going to cause no end of controversy, basically hits an arm in the box and it’s a penalty. It’s clearly a rule made up by some committee with arseholes who’ve  never played a game of football! It’s wrong and needs scrapped now!!!

That’s exactly how I see it too

Ridiculous

10 minutes ago, Jaap's Sigh said:

This was spoken about during the last World Cup. The review happens after the ‘goal’ and if the ref decides there was an infringement then the play is pulled back and the ‘goal’ doesn’t stand. 

it would be just like what happened in the portugal switzerland match where portugal were awarded a pen but VAR reviewed that switzerland should have been given one

Did the VAR decision simply not reflect and confirm the new rule?

VAR doesn't make the rules, FIFA/UEFA does.....

Angel eyes
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Well next season if your into your first goal scorer bets worth noting who takes penalties for which ever team cos with that rule your gonna have a lot of pens.

32 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Did the VAR decision simply not reflect and confirm the new rule?

VAR doesn't make the rules, FIFA/UEFA does.....

For now...

Unknown.jpeg.08ba293e850a715598d971e8d45d0a63.jpeg

Edited by kila

Angel eyes

It’s vastly improved and enjoyed today’s game you get what you see 11 girls/women playing their hearts out  no egos or overhyped wannabes good honest endeavour good on them unlike the men’s version.

33 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Not interested and never will be.

...not even to look at a thread about it, and comment...

Maroon Sailor
39 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Thanks for that we'll all sleep easy tonight

54 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

What was the point in that post?

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You missed out Corsie and Kim Little had a decent 2nd half. She is going to be key if Scotland are going to get in to the knock out stages

Thought they all did well but they were the ones that caught my eye. Looking forward to the remaining games. Good chance I think.

Jaap's Sigh
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

it would be just like what happened in the portugal switzerland match where portugal were awarded a pen but VAR reviewed that switzerland should have been given one

Exactly. 

Watched a few minutes for shits and giggles and that is what I got. Great that they play but the standard is diabolical. The way the BBC raves about it you would think these teams are Ajax of the 1970s. I really object to people trying to talk this up as if in someway it is worthy of being on the same level as even boys juvenile.

Being based on merit is social justice, throwing equality at something purely based on the fact what sex they are is injustice. I see the English players want paid the same as their male counterparts. Give me a break. It is like someone playing chopsticks on a piano infront of 5 people and wanting the same money as Paul McCartney.

Equality of opportunity not outcome! Enough with this nonsense now it is becoming ridiculous. That been said, I support the women's game just not the billing it receives. Being able to play chopsticks on the piano does not make you Chopin or Mozart and I refuse to have someone tell me otherwise.

42 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

It’s vastly improved and enjoyed today’s game you get what you see 11 girls/women playing their hearts out  no egos or overhyped wannabes good honest endeavour good on them unlike the men’s version.

For England's second, two of their players ran into each other ffs.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I remember Hansen and Miller doing that at Spain 82

Mr Elwood P
5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Watched a few minutes for shits and giggles and that is what I got. Great that they play but the standard is diabolical. The way the BBC raves about it you would think these teams are Ajax of the 1970s. I really object to people trying to talk this up as if in someway it is worthy of being on the same level as even boys juvenile.

Being based on merit is social justice, throwing equality at something purely based on the fact what sex they are is injustice. I see the English players want paid the same as their male counterparts. Give me a break. It is like someone playing chopsticks on a piano infront of 5 people and wanting the same money as Paul McCartney.

Equality of opportunity not outcome! Enough with this nonsense now it is becoming ridiculous. That been said, I support the women's game just not the billing it receives. Being able to play chopsticks on the piano does not make you Chopin or Mozart and I refuse to have someone tell me otherwise.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/48535933

This may push you over the edge!

Hate to agree with you but the equal pay argument doesn’t make any logical sense. We don’t have parity of wages in the men’s game so how can you have it between the male and female game. If Hearts women can sell 14k season tickets, give them the same wages. Until then the game needs to grow organically.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

It was treated as it should have been. Hansen never played for Scotland again and that is now a clip on all the football bloomers videos. We are allowed to laugh though as they are men. Dare say anything about the women's game and you hate women seemingly.

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hate to agree with you but the equal pay argument doesn’t make any logical sense. We don’t have parity of wages in the men’s game so how can you have it between the male and female game. If Hearts women can sell 14k season tickets, give them the same wages. Until then the game needs to grow organically.

There is nothing 'equal and fair' about women being paid in line with men in the major sports. Take tennis for example, a ladies match usually lasts about the same time as a men's set and really the 'main event' of the grand slams is the men's singles. Fair though to some people. Do a lot less work and be of a far inferior standard but get paid the same money because you have a vagina.

feedthefox
6 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Been waiting on someone to snap that annoying Parris :pleasing:

Absolutely, soon as she went off on that cringe celebration I just thought come on Corsie stick her up in the air at the very next opportunity.

Also why are they getting foamy gashes over her pen and suggesting she was under "huge pressure", ffs it 12mins in and they're about 1/5 favs to win

Shitty VAR decision ruined the game.

Same as it ruined the champions league final.

Thought it was there to assist hard to make decisons,not to question every fecking movement of the ball.

Anyway,well done the Ladies.

Done well,,though should have pushed them far more in the second half.

Were there for the taking.

SpruceBringsteen
5 hours ago, Rudy T said:

It’s clearly a rule made up by some committee with arseholes who’ve  never played a game of football!

It's a rule that's been implemented to help bigger clubs and countries when they're faced with a team that won't roll over.

Great.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Definitely.

I think they mean International pay rates not EPL wages. England players get £1500 for a win, £1k for a draw and £500 for a defeat.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/981119/world-cup-2018-England-vs-Belgium-England-players-salaries

I think they can only justify this if they bring in as much revenue from crowds etc as the men do, no matter what level or sport for that matter that you’re talking about. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

It's a rule that's been implemented to help bigger clubs and countries when they're faced with a team that won't roll over.

Great.

Happy belated Birthday ?

SpruceBringsteen
32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Happy belated Birthday ?

Cheers old bean. Celebrating by being miserable. :wink:

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Think you’ll find that happened in the men’s team in 82 ffs!!!!!

Samuel Camazzola
13 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

On BBC One you've got a veteran England tidy and the amazing Hope Solo, but I've got Alba on now, on your advice

This must be Hope Solo's highest profile appearance since The Fappening. 

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Think you’ll find that happened in the men’s team in 82 ffs!!!!!

What part of Hansen and Miller in Spain 82 didn't you grasp ?

Did you bother reading why I posted that ?

6 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Great.

Fair point. And they’re probably the only ones who can change it if it’s not going in their favour!

9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

As a matter of interest, is there anything to do with Hearts, Scotland or indeed Scottish football you DO like ?  Maybe you'd be better off with Tiddlywinks or maybe pocket billiards, I bet you'd be good at that.

I watched the match and noticed that none of the ladies spat.....and surprisingly enough no rioting by the English fans!

41 minutes ago, gfpete said:

I watched the match and noticed that none of the ladies spat.....and surprisingly enough no rioting by the English fans!

I also noticed none of them covered their bollocks in the wall.

Ron Burgundy

Watched it and quite enjoyed it. It's entertaining but not in the same way Liverpool v Barca was but it has it's place.

It should remain completely amateur though, they're simply not good enough to be called professionals.

3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Watched it and quite enjoyed it. It's entertaining but not in the same way Liverpool v Barca was but it has it's place.

It should remain completely amateur though, they're simply not good enough to be called professionals.

They can be professionals if they want to be professionals. 

Plenty of shite professionals. Look at Hearts, Scotland national team and the Scottish leagues. 

Ron Burgundy
19 minutes ago, Homme said:

They can be professionals if they want to be professionals. 

Plenty of shite professionals. Look at Hearts, Scotland national team and the Scottish leagues. 

Then by that reckoning the blind national team and the homeless national team can just decide to be professional.

And I agree that there are plenty shite professionals and the fact that not one women is good enough to make it in any male professional league speaks volumes.

Nookie Bear
31 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

If they attract enough interest to have paying customers and sponsorship/tv then they can be professional.

How much women should be paid is the big question now, it seems.