• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Forever Hearts

• Mr Elwood P

• Bazzas right boot

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Spoleto said:

Sack Craig Levein and ......... replace him with a Craig Levein.

Right enough

One likes his team to play eye bleeding football, the other likes his team to play eye candy football

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Right enough

One likes his team to play eye bleeding football, the other likes his team to play eye candy football

I expect Reading, Sheff Utd and Hull fans would disagree with you.

8 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Good guy, who fits the criteria.  Loves the birds and hates the green.

I'm not sure he'd get a very good reception

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Right enough

Many years ago. Hull were dire under him. He did have some good players there mind

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Spoleto said:

I expect Reading, Sheff Utd and Hull fans would disagree with you.

Good for them.

We can't do any worse than watching a Levein team.

Can't see Leicester fans being gutted it never worked out for him down there either but you worshipped him.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Good for them.

Can't see Leicester fans being gutted it never worked out for him down there either but you worshipped him.

:laugh:

39 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Good for them.

I just hope you don't regret that second sentence. I fear you might.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

I just hope you don't regret that second sentence. I fear you might.

Well Levein overseen the worst run in the club's history so I hope not 

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Well Levein overseen the worst run in the club's history so I hope not 

BUT he's not the worst manager in the clubs history. 

4 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

BUT he's not the worst manager in the clubs history. 

You love hiim. If I were Craig I’d be worried to the extent of getting a restraining order against you.

10 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You love hiim. If I were Craig I’d be worried to the extent of getting a restraining order against you.

How mature. I feel embarrassed for you.

23 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Adkins talks shite :lol:

Correct.

One of those people who you ask them the time they tell you how to make a ****ing clock.

Failed dismally at Sheffield United but TBF one of many.

The Real Maroonblood
53 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

:laugh:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
47 minutes ago, Owlvisiting said:

Correct.

One of those people who you ask them the time they tell you how to make a ****ing clock.

Failed dismally at Sheffield United but TBF one of many.

Once heard an interview where he asked the journalist: “What’s the biggest room in your house?”

Journo was like: “I don’t know, the fecking kitchen.”

Adkins: “No, the room for improvement.”

Don’t ever subject me to this shite.

Don't know if he is on our radar or not but my Bangor supporting friend has a lot of time for him and his methods. he also has some Scunthorpe pals who hold him in high esteem.

Maroon Sailor

Extract from this link

https://www.thesackrace.com/news/10th-october-2019/six-reasons-why-sunderland-should-go-all-out-for-nigel-adkins

Adkins has managed in the Premier League with Southampton and Reading.

He was dismissed in 2013 by the Saints, who made the controversial decision to appoint a then-unknown manager in Mauricio Pochettino.

There was nothing wrong with how Southampton were playing or faring in terms of results at the time Adkins was dismissed - they were five games unbeaten at that point - so he was arguably unlucky to lose his job.

At Reading, later that season, he inherited a squad that was not good enough for the top flight due to underinvestment the previous summer – and they were seven points off safety with seven games to play when he took over, so no blame can be attached to him for the Royals’ ultimate relegation.

Adkins’ record in full seasons as a Championship manager though, is rather compelling.

He led Southampton to automatic promotion in 2011-12, then took Reading to seventh place in 2013-14 – missing out on the Play-Offs on the final day – then steered Hull to 13th despite limited investment and a lack of off-field leadership

One of the reasons Adkins did so well at Hull was because he is relentlessly positive.

When results were not going so well, he was always keen to emphasise how close the team were, the chances they were creating and got players to believe that their efforts would soon be rewarded.

For fans disillusioned with Allam’s ownership regime, they had something to believe in.

Adkins’ strength of will was a key factor behind Hull’s outstanding winter form last season, when they picked up 22 points from eight games across December and January

Edited by Maroon Sailor

jack D and coke
12 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

We need to have a longer term view imo. 

3rd/4th- qualify for Europe. 

Do what we can in the cups 

That goes for any manager. 

Then

Do the above constantly. 

Then aim for the group stages. 

Basically what Aberdeen have done but a step further. With our infrastructure, imo we can do that, or at least have it as a realistic goal. 

If we achieved that, then go from there. 

We should be looking at a manager that would see this is a challenge but achievable. 

Any new manager also knows we are a patient and supportive club at the top. 

Not realistic imo. 
We won’t get a manager who’ll stay with us that long and if he got a couple of 3rd places and done well in cups he’d likely be offski. 
We don’t pay enough. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not realistic imo. 
We won’t get a manager who’ll stay with us that long and if he got a couple of 3rd places and done well in cups he’d likely be offski. 
We don’t pay enough. 

I'm not too so sure. 

Finishing third with us will hardly cause waves, getting to the europa league stage would, but if we do that job done on that front, the handover would be a positive one. 

Also Probably why we need the other parts set up, SD, good coaching staff etc to allow for that change. 

If we keep blowing out after a few seasons and starting over we'll get nowhere. 

It's a shame it never worked but I think that's why we had CL and the promote from within philosophy, although it has to work now and in the future. 

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'm not too so sure. 

Finishing third with us will hardly cause waves, getting to the europa league stage would, but if we do that job done on that front, the handover would be a positive one. 

Also Probably why we need the other parts set up, SD, good coaching staff etc to allow for that change. 

If we keep blowing out after a few seasons and starting over we'll get nowhere. 

It's a shame it never worked but I think that's why we had CL and the promote from within philosophy, although it has to work now and in the future. 

We got a young manager on the way up and he got consecutive 3rd place finishes - which let’s be honest is about as good as it’s ever going to get - he’s offski if he gets a decent offer. Everyone knows that’s your lot outwith the uglies. Your best players would likely start to be plundered and your stock would only fall. 
Sad. 
True though. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We got a young manager on the way up and he got consecutive 3rd place finishes - which let’s be honest is about as good as it’s ever going to get - he’s offski if he gets a decent offer. Everyone knows that’s your lot outwith the uglies. Your best players would likely start to be plundered and your stock would only fall. 
Sad. 
True though. 

Maybe. 

But We're on a better footing now. 

Even if we did do that, hopefully we make money through our player sales as they're plundered. 

Players sales won't go on interest and debt now either, in the past it has. 

Europa league should, imo be our goal to move us on. 

Hard, but not impossible imo. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe. 

But We're on a better footing now. 

Even if we did do that, hopefully we make money through our player sales as they're plundered. 

Players sales won't go on interest and debt now either, in the past it has. 

Europa league should, imo be our goal to move us on. 

Hard, but not impossible imo. 

We’re absolutely light years away from being able to live in that company, if ever again. Scotland doesn’t produce good enough anymore and we can’t afford to bring in the quality to get us in there. 
Even when we’re doing well we can barely get a result away from tynecastle ffs. 
People mock the europa league teams lol they’d absolutely wipe the floor with us. 
Again, it’s sad. 
True. 

We’ve been linked with Hull’s head of recruitment Lee Darnbrough, not seen a thread on this but thought it was linked to this, him and Adkins has a bit of a frosty relationship at Hull 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

We’re absolutely light years away from being able to live in that company, if ever again. Scotland doesn’t produce good enough anymore and we can’t afford to bring in the quality to get us in there. 
Even when we’re doing well we can barely get a result away from tynecastle ffs. 
People mock the europa league teams lol they’d absolutely wipe the floor with us. 
Again, it’s sad. 
True. 

Maybe 

But I look at a number of teams and think with a bit of luck it's possible to get in about the europa league. 

Difficult, but not impossible. 

1 hour ago, campbell said:

We’ve been linked with Hull’s head of recruitment Lee Darnbrough, not seen a thread on this but thought it was linked to this, him and Adkins has a bit of a frosty relationship at Hull 

😕 don’t say that, I’m half hoping it’s Adkins. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe 

But I look at a number of teams and think with a bit of luck it's possible to get in about the europa league. 

Feckin Dundalk managed it and their star player was Darell Horgan 🤷🏼‍♂️

Selkirkhmfc1874
50 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe 

We've probably earned more money from the league cup the last couple of seasons than we would had we qualified for europe 

5 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Once heard an interview where he asked the journalist: “What’s the biggest room in your house?”

Imagine hearing this off the back off a 0-0 draw against Hamilton. 

1 hour ago, greggy123 said:

Imagine hearing this off the back off a 0-0 draw against Hamilton. 

Imagine hearing this off the back off a 3-0 win against Hamilton!

People who strive to be the best will always think they have room for improvement. If you listen to the top performers in the sporting world all of them are working to find that little extra, that little improvement that keeps them above everyone else. 

To be able to get people to believe they are capable of achieving more, or producing better, is one of the most difficult parts of a managers job. Sadly there are simple too many people who are willing to accept things the way they are.

I’m all for a Hearts manager who seeks and demands constant improvement. Might sound a bit wanky the way Adkins puts it over but positivity on the playing front is long overdue at Tynecastle.

rudi must stay
7 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That is shite to be fair and is the sort of comment that loses credibility with players, I myself am now on the opinion SCOTTISH football experience is a must, as well as attacking football, who does that leave you with? Well that's up to Anne Budge, but I do like the idea of McInnes, I like the way his team try to play football (he allows his attacking players to play almost of the cuff) but at the same time he demands a shift from his players and I've heard he can lay into them to good effect at half-time. He wouldn't be a bad choice at all

Edited by rudi must stay

rudi must stay
17 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

People who strive to be the best will always think they have room for improvement. If you listen to the top performers in the sporting world all of them are working to find that little extra, that little improvement that keeps them above everyone else. 

To be able to get people to believe they are capable of achieving more, or producing better, is one of the most difficult parts of a managers job. Sadly there are simple too many people who are willing to accept things the way they are.

I’m all for a Hearts manager who seeks and demands constant improvement. Might sound a bit wanky the way Adkins puts it over but positivity on the playing front is long overdue at Tynecastle.

Yes but it doesn't match with some of football's legends comments does it. You wouldn't hear Ferguson say it for example. It snacks of amateurism and the sort of manager our "friends" down the road have just ditched 

scott herbertson
11 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

if that's true, I'm out!

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Feckin Dundalk managed it and their star player was Darell Horgan 🤷🏼‍♂️

Exactly. 

It's a challenge and a a bit of luck required, no doubt. 

I don't like the of winning, but starting a round later helps, more places helps. 

Start a round or two later, all it may take is the seed to go out or 1 good game v a seeded team and bang. 

Not to forget that the possibility of entering the group stage automatically comes closer each time we move up. 

I also believe it's our goal to qualify for the group stage. 

Basically what Aberdeen have been doing but a step further should be our goal in the medium term. 

Short term get in the top fecking half. 

jack D and coke
33 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Exactly. 

It's a challenge and a a bit of luck required, no doubt. 

I don't like the of winning, but starting a round later helps, more places helps. 

Start a round or two later, all it may take is the seed to go out or 1 good game v a seeded team and bang. 

Not to forget that the possibility of entering the group stage automatically comes closer each time we move up. 

I also believe it's our goal to qualify for the group stage. 

Basically what Aberdeen have been doing but a step further should be our goal in the medium term. 

Short term get in the top fecking half. 

We’d all like it to happen. It won’t though. 
On top of being pish the early qualifiers come too early in our season or at least that is this excuse thats trotted out now when we lose to the likes of that Maltese outfit. 
Imagine us in a group like Celtic’s or Rangers? We’d get absolutely pummelled and thoroughly embarrassed playing these teams. 
Levein possibly had the right idea promoting a manager from within but our budget isn’t good enough to hold on to anyone be it player or coach. If they’re any good whatsoever they’re offski mate. 

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We’d all like it to happen. It won’t though. 
On top of being pish the early qualifiers come too early in our season or at least that is this excuse thats trotted out now when we lose to the likes of that Maltese outfit. 
Imagine us in a group like Celtic’s or Rangers? We’d get absolutely pummelled and thoroughly embarrassed playing these teams. 
Levein possibly had the right idea promoting a manager from within but our budget isn’t good enough to hold on to anyone be it player or coach. If they’re any good whatsoever they’re offski mate. 

Time will tell. 

If Dundalk can do it, we could, imo. 

I refuse to believe Hearts couldn’t emulate them. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Time will tell. 

If Dundalk can do it, we could, imo. 

I refuse to believe Hearts couldn’t emulate them. 

Dundalk would probably beat us comfortably. 
Do you know we’ve got past the 2nd round of euro competition something like twice in our entire history yeah? But you reckon we can become regulars in amongst the Europa league teams? 
Id like a few tugs on whatever it is you smoke sometimes man :lol: 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, jack D and coke said:

Dundalk would probably beat us comfortably. 
Do you know we’ve got past the 2nd round of euro competition something like twice in our entire history yeah? But you reckon we can become regulars in amongst the Europa league teams? 
Id like a few tugs on whatever it is you smoke sometimes man :lol: 

I never said that tho. 

You need to read the small print 

I said it should be our goal and it would be a challenge. 

Our history? never known us to be debt free and taking in £15m revenue and rising. 

You can move your targets as the club changes and evolves

I also said if Dundalk could reach it, then we could too. 

Ofc, atm we have far more modest gains to make, I also said that. 3rd or 4th needs to be achieved consistently first in the league before we can even think about the europa group stages. 

I was also clear on that being our first achievement or should be imo under the new manager. 

6 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I think you took my comment a bit too serious. I don’t know anything about Adkins but if that’s his mentality then I’m all for him cause it’s probably what’s need in a league where two clubs have 10x more money than everyone else.  

Suppose we just need someone who can get us digging deep and out the relegation spots the now but in the long run defo. I want someone who’ll get us playing on the front foot, been bored going to games exempt a couple for too long now.