Nigel Adkins leaves Hull

Maroon Sailor

Guest ToqueJambo
On 09/06/2019 at 12:18, frankblack said:

English managers will only come up here if they need to regain some reputation because they aren't wanted by other clubs down south after a couple of bad positions.

Early days but Heckingbottom is showing how managers from English leagues can totally underestimate the quality up here. I don't think it's a coincidence that managers from NI tend to do better here. They don't bring with them that sense of superiority that is ingrained in many people in English football - pundits, fans, managers, players - when it comes to their thoughts on Scottish football.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Forever Hearts

• Mr Elwood P

• Bazzas right boot

Maroon Sailor

I still think he is the type of manager we should be looking at

And there is a vacancy now !

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hmmmm....

FWIW, I have always liked listening to Adkins, very positive & engaging when he talks and I could see players wanting to play for him in that regard....

Hmmmm.....

Lord Beni of Gorgie

There are going to be plusses and minuses for any candidate. Feel he is not upwardly mobile at the moment, but he clearly had it at one point.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

He is a trained Physiotherapist (Adkins ) as well.Might cut down on the injuries 🤣

Was a former goalie as well, might kill 3 birds with one stone! 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Going to save a lot of wages if this is the guy 

Theme From Sparta F.C.
13 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

He is a trained Physiotherapist (Adkins ) as well.Might cut down on the injuries 🤣

That would be fantastic!!👍

The Old Tolbooth
On 05/09/2019 at 19:29, ToqueJambo said:

Early days but Heckingbottom is showing how managers from English leagues can totally underestimate the quality up here. I don't think it's a coincidence that managers from NI tend to do better here. They don't bring with them that sense of superiority that is ingrained in many people in English football - pundits, fans, managers, players - when it comes to their thoughts on Scottish football.

Might also explain why Scottish managers do better in English football than English managers do as well. 

On 05/09/2019 at 19:29, ToqueJambo said:

I want that sense of superiority, not the camping out for a draw with Livi, St Mirren and so on. I want our managers to play our best team, not counter the oppositions.

I want them to think we can win the league

59 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

:lol:   

Can he play up front ala Myles Hogarth. 

9 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

Can we start keeping to serious suggestions.

Moyes-esk shouts that would never happen exhausting 

😨🤤

32 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I want that sense of superiority, not the camping out for a draw with Livi, St Mirren and so on. I want our managers to play our best team, not counter the oppositions.

I've been shot down for suggesting this previously but totally agree. I like Adkins and would be happy enough with him

Edited by Jamhammer

He was doing well at Hull and I think they made a mistake letting him go.

What came across was he gets the players being positive and working together. 

That's (at least) the third ex English Championship manager mentioned (Nathan Jones and Daniel Stendel). I think some leeway needs to be given to records in the English Championship with such a competitive league and difficulties around finances, owners and squads especially for promoted or relegated sides. 

47 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Indeed.  The criteria should include not settling for 3rd best and seeing it as a success.   That's  a minimum requirement,  not a ceiling. 

5 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Indeed.  The criteria should include not settling for 3rd best and seeing it as a success.   That's  a minimum requirement,  not a ceiling. 

What manager will accept third as a minimum requirement when we don’t even have the 3rd biggest wage bill? Unrealistic. I think Levein not being here has brought out as much nonsense as him being here.

23 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

According to EEN, Ann is looking at another Hull bloke for the SD role.

Rod’s deed

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Hmmmm....

FWIW, I have always liked listening to Adkins, very positive & engaging when he talks and I could see players wanting to play for him in that regard....

Hmmmm.....

Adkins talks shite :lol:

He’s been on SSN a few times over the last wee while.

Likes the sound of his own voice I reckon.

No idea of his managerial abilities 😂

5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What manager will accept third as a minimum requirement when we don’t even have the 3rd biggest wage bill? Unrealistic. I think Levein not being here has brought out as much nonsense as him being here.

The type of manager that can get that little extra out of players. The type of manager who can get the team being greater than the sum of its parts. The type of manager who doesn’t know that their team is meant to slot into a position based on finance.

Thankfully Leicester are no longer a one hit wonder. Ranieri won the league and Rodgers has them sitting third. How very dare they!!! They should be realistic and be what? Twelfth going on budget?

6 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The type of manager that can get that little extra out of players. The type of manager who can get the team being greater than the sum of its parts. The type of manager who doesn’t know that their team is meant to slot into a position based on finance.

Thankfully Leicester are no longer a one hit wonder. Ranieri won the league and Rodgers has them sitting third. How very dare they!!! They should be realistic and be what? Twelfth going on budget?

Leicester last season had the 9th biggest wage bill in the EPL. Where did they finish in the table? Also worth noting that the biggest gap in wages within the EPL was Watford on £86m to Manchester United on £296m. The gap between Hearts and Celtic is £6m - £59m. My main gripe was with your inaccurate use of the phrase ‘minimum requirement’. When Leicester won the EPL their minimum requirement was to stay in the league. No manager will come to Hearts and accept 3rd as a minimum requirement. However that does not preclude them from showing much greater ambition.

13 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

There's a realistic chance of us winning the league next season

21 minutes ago, Biguche said:

There's a realistic chance of us winning the league next season

Another Championship title to add to our honours! 

29 minutes ago, ethan14 said:

No there is not 

I accept fans thinking that, but I don’t want any player, manage, or coach, who signs for the club believing we cannot win the league, regardless oh how remote it may be.   That is a loser’s mentality, and will give you no chance. 

Edited by Paolo

August Landmesser
18 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Good guy, who fits the criteria.  Loves the birds and hates the green.

PHM.

(Puppet Hand Man)

52 minutes ago, ethan14 said:

No there is not 

47 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Scottish Championship?

56 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Another Championship title to add to our honours! 

Whoosh moment for Ethan

34 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Good guy, who fits the criteria.  Loves the birds and hates the green.

Don't think he could scale the heights though, think it would come crashing down.

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We need to have a longer term view imo. 

3rd/4th- qualify for Europe. 

Do what we can in the cups 

That goes for any manager. 

Then

Do the above constantly. 

Then aim for the group stages. 

Basically what Aberdeen have done but a step further. With our infrastructure, imo we can do that, or at least have it as a realistic goal. 

If we achieved that, then go from there. 

We should be looking at a manager that would see this is a challenge but achievable. 

Any new manager also knows we are a patient and supportive club at the top. 

3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Leicester last season had the 9th biggest wage bill in the EPL. Where did they finish in the table? Also worth noting that the biggest gap in wages within the EPL was Watford on £86m to Manchester United on £296m. The gap between Hearts and Celtic is £6m - £59m. My main gripe was with your inaccurate use of the phrase ‘minimum requirement’. When Leicester won the EPL their minimum requirement was to stay in the league. No manager will come to Hearts and accept 3rd as a minimum requirement. However that does not preclude them from showing much greater ambition.

The ambition of those leading Hearts including the Board is to win the league. 

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Quoted the wrong person there as I never used that term.

Regardless of terminology used, any potential new manager will undoubtedly be made aware of the expectation level. If they are not comfortable with it they won’t get the job. I don’t think the Hearts board are going to employ someone who - from the off - states they can’t meet the expected performance level.

I’d be amazed if there were many employed - in any walk of life - after stating they won’t accept the stipulations of the post.

Anyway, it’s a moot point, as you can bet your bottom dollar the new man will be confident he can achieve what’s set out for him. Whether he does or not is what ultimately keeps him in the job.

59 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The ambition of those leading Hearts including the Board is to win the league. 

They would be better concentrating on finishing 3rd or 4th first!

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

We need to have a longer term view imo. 

3rd/4th- qualify for Europe. 

Do what we can in the cups 

That goes for any manager. 

Then

Do the above constantly. 

Then aim for the group stages. 

Basically what Aberdeen have done but a step further. With our infrastructure, imo we can do that, or at least have it as a realistic goal. 

If we achieved that, then go from there. 

We should be looking at a manager that would see this is a challenge but achievable. 

Any new manager also knows we are a patient and supportive club at the top. 

This 100% 

Also Adkins would be very interesting, looks to have a great CV and well experienced  -as stated earlier could see it as a challenge well worth exploring regardless of the salary available.

I cannot understand what manager wouldn't fancy a crack at the above.

I believe he chose not to renew his contract with Hull , so may well be looking for a steady opportunity to build something within a club that will allow him time in which to do so