Jump to content
ri Alban

Cricket World Cup

Recommended Posts

Boris
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

 

Enablers!

 

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
132goals1958
8 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I don't buy any of these Pakistan conspiracy theories. I mean Root dropped Rohit when he'd only scored 4 and he was the backbone of the India innings. ALL teams (England and Pakistan included) have had it in their own hands to qualify or not .... just win your games. Pakistan lost (by a huge margin) to India, lost to West Indies (by a huge margin) and were very lucky to squeeze by Afghanistan. It was only the England loss to Sri Lanka that gave them a sniff of a chance and England still have to beat New Zealand ... absolutely no guarantees there!

 

I am pleased England won but what Dhoni was thinking about in pushing singles at the end is anyone’s guess. Cricket used to be the last bastion of integrity but Jason Roy just like everyone else would basically cheated when he gloved that ball and was caught out in more senses than one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
2 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

 

I am pleased England won but what Dhoni was thinking about in pushing singles at the end is anyone’s guess. Cricket used to be the last bastion of integrity but Jason Roy just like everyone else would basically cheated when he gloved that ball and was caught out in more senses than one


It was odd, can only think the game was gone, India's tail is quite long and not very effective and it was a little bit of preserving the Net Run Rate?


For Roy, well that's what the DRS system is for. India weren't sure it even hit the glove. I think the past year or 2 of DRS has shown that players don't always know if they have nicked the ball, especially something as delicate as brushing a glove. The other day Kohli walked when he didn't even hit the ball .... ****ing cheat ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
132goals1958
17 minutes ago, RobboM said:


It was odd, can only think the game was gone, India's tail is quite long and not very effective and it was a little bit of preserving the Net Run Rate?


For Roy, well that's what the DRS system is for. India weren't sure it even hit the glove. I think the past year or 2 of DRS has shown that players don't always know if they have nicked the ball, especially something as delicate as brushing a glove. The other day Kohli walked when he didn't even hit the ball .... ****ing cheat ?

 

I think Roy knew as there was quite a contact. Suspended for 2 games if he changes to playing football 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Right then! England beat India to overtake Pakistan and no-one questions this.  :Aye:

 

 

india.thumb.jpg.87dd7cf9d861c5c89e9d0fc63901a3e7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874

England have 2 chances to get through to semi finals. 

 

Beat New Zealand. Or if they lose Bangladesh beat Pakistan on Friday. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
9 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

England have 2 chances to get through to semi finals. 

 

Beat New Zealand. Or if they lose Bangladesh beat Pakistan on Friday. 

 

image.png.160b8dfb17a44bfd247dd80987cf0ece.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
On 01/07/2019 at 11:42, RobboM said:


For Roy, well that's what the DRS system is for. India weren't sure it even hit the glove. I think the past year or 2 of DRS has shown that players don't always know if they have nicked the ball, especially something as delicate as brushing a glove. The other day Kohli walked when he didn't even hit the ball .... ****ing cheat ?

Case in point, Joe Root has just used up England's review where he got a faint nick and didn't realise .... and it was right in front of his face!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874

England are in control, heading for the semi finals.

 

Bit sorry for Pakistan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874

The way it's going Australia will hammer New Zealand in the semi finals. And the other semi final will most likely be England v India which will be next Thursday back at Edgbaston. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

 

Bit sorry for Pakistan. 


Given the format and everyone plays everyone the only misfortune for Pakistan is their washout against Sri Lanka. They were royally gubbed against West Indies, horsed by India and lucky to squeeze by Afghanistan and no guarantee they will beat Bangladesh. Whoever the top 4 are will be there on merit I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
3 minutes ago, RobboM said:


Given the format and everyone plays everyone the only misfortune for Pakistan is their washout against Sri Lanka. They were royally gubbed against West Indies, horsed by India and lucky to squeeze by Afghanistan and no guarantee they will beat Bangladesh. Whoever the top 4 are will be there on merit I reckon.

They pumped England, tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

They pumped England, tho.

:indeed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874
34 minutes ago, RobboM said:


Given the format and everyone plays everyone the only misfortune for Pakistan is their washout against Sri Lanka. They were royally gubbed against West Indies, horsed by India and lucky to squeeze by Afghanistan and no guarantee they will beat Bangladesh. Whoever the top 4 are will be there on merit I reckon.

 

Yes.

 

New Zealand got a point for rain abandonment v India that made the difference too. But Pakistan missed their chances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

 

Yes.

 

New Zealand got a point for rain abandonment v India that made the difference too. But Pakistan missed their chances. 


Good point! (pun intended ? )

It would have been an interesting match too with NZ on the up at that time, whereas now they look a busted flush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
2 hours ago, RobboM said:


Good point! (pun intended ? )

It would have been an interesting match too with NZ on the up at that time, whereas now they look a busted flush

 

The Black Caps have shot their bolt for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I P Knightley
8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The way it's going Australia will hammer New Zealand in the semi finals. And the other semi final will most likely be England v India which will be next Thursday back at Edgbaston. 

An away match for England, then :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874

A final twist today in the Group.

 

Australia lost to South Africa. So the semis are now:- 

 

Tues - India v New Zealand

Thu - Australia v England 

 

A bit more open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

A final twist today in the Group.

 

Australia lost to South Africa. So the semis are now:- 

 

Tues - India v New Zealand

Thu - Australia v England 

 

A bit more open. 

Huge twist
Plus Aussies picking up injuries left, right and centre

 

It's wide open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban

It's not wide open, India will win it , Easily!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JWL
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's not wide open, India will win it , Easily!

 

Not sue about that. England will fancy their chances against India if they overcome The Assies; and indeed if India beat New Zealand which is no given when NZ have players like Kane Williamson who can win any match. Still a tough call on the winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
2 hours ago, JWL said:

 

Not sue about that. England will fancy their chances against India if they overcome The Assies; and indeed if India beat New Zealand which is no given when NZ have players like Kane Williamson who can win any match. Still a tough call on the winners.

Anyone but Australia for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scott herbertson
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's not wide open, India will win it , Easily!

 

 

I'd say England are strong favourites now. Australia have loads of injuries and a bad record at Edgbaston. india have an even worse record at Lords and have shown that they don't have much depth in their batting

 

The format has been really bad - a week of more or less meaningless matches after the four semi final places were decided. No good matches at a weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

 

 

The format has been really bad - a week of more or less meaningless matches after the four semi final places were decided. No good matches at a weekend


Really?

There was only 1 truely meaningless fixture, West Indies versus Afghanistan. Every other match mattered. Look at yesterday India won and Aussies lost to determine who the actual semi finals would be and the S Africa v Australia was in doubt till the end. Every other game had something riding on it after England lost to Sri Lanka.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scott herbertson
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, RobboM said:


Really?

There was only 1 truely meaningless fixture, West Indies versus Afghanistan. Every other match mattered. Look at yesterday India won and Aussies lost to determine who the actual semi finals would be and the S Africa v Australia was in doubt till the end. Every other game had something riding on it after England lost to Sri Lanka.

 

 

Theoretically yes but the actual play has been very lack lustre in many cases. I think once India and Australia and New Zealand were all effectively through they have hardly made an effort with the exception possibly of the Australia/ SA  game as they had realised by then  if they lost they  would face England on one of their favourite pitches and there is no love lost between them and SA

Edited by scott herbertson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JWL
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:12, Boris said:

Anyone but Australia for me!

 

Sorry Boris but since I was about 13 it was Australia that got me into cricket. I happened to end up in a non-football playing secondary school and it was either cricket or rugby. Given my physique, rugby was out of the question so became a less than useful medium pacer. Always admired Lillee and Thomson so cheered The Aussies on at every opportunity and this hasn't changed.

With that in mind I hope on Thursday The Aussie guys display the sort of ruthlessness their female counterparts did yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
Just now, JWL said:

 

Sorry Boris but since I was about 13 it was Australia that got me into cricket. I happened to end up in a non-football playing secondary school and it was either cricket or rugby. Given my physique, rugby was out of the question so became a less than useful medium pacer. Always admired Lillee and Thomson so cheered The Aussies on at every opportunity and this hasn't changed.

With that in mind I hope on Thursday The Aussie guys display the sort of ruthlessness their female counterparts did yesterday.

 

Oh, they are a good side, i don't doubt that, but they are arrogant as feck.

 

Had the pleasure to watch them get skittled on day 3 of the Boxing Day test at the MCG in December.  The guff being spouted by the Aussies was mind boggling!

 

Growing up I always "supported" England, still do, however post Ashes 2005 the simmering English arrogance in the media means seeing them lose allows a wry smile.

 

But I see the Aussies as like the OF.

 

Don't mind NZ or India, or the West Indies.  Everyone else I'm pretty meh about, although probably dislike Pakistan and South Africa more than the Aussies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kiwidoug

I have loved every minute.  Very excited that my dream final of England v NZ is still on the cards.

 

NZ have 3 world class players and you write them off at your peril.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

I have loved every minute.  Very excited that my dream final of England v NZ is still on the cards.

 

NZ have 3 world class players and you write them off at your peril.  


Looking forward to this, especially as it is an unknown given the group stage match was rained off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CF11JamTart
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Boris said:

 

Oh, they are a good side, i don't doubt that, but they are arrogant as feck.

 

Had the pleasure to watch them get skittled on day 3 of the Boxing Day test at the MCG in December.  The guff being spouted by the Aussies was mind boggling!

 

Growing up I always "supported" England, still do, however post Ashes 2005 the simmering English arrogance in the media means seeing them lose allows a wry smile.

 

But I see the Aussies as like the OF.

 

Don't mind NZ or India, or the West Indies.  Everyone else I'm pretty meh about, although probably dislike Pakistan and South Africa more than the Aussies!

 

That's pretty much where i am with England. I'll go to watch them when they visit Wales, and I'll support them, but it's kinda fun watching them unravel when they get caught up in their own hype. 

 

There's not much loveable about the Aussies.

Edited by CF11JamTart
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z

Blackcaps underestimating the par score or has the Indian bowling just been that good today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

Blackcaps underestimating the par score or has the Indian bowling just been that good today?


India on top from the start. NZ 2 for 1 after 4 overs. Lowest score of the tournament (27-1) after the opening 10 over power play with just 2 fielders out at the boundary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JWL
On 08/07/2019 at 14:27, Boris said:

 

Oh, they are a good side, i don't doubt that, but they are arrogant as feck.

 

Had the pleasure to watch them get skittled on day 3 of the Boxing Day test at the MCG in December.  The guff being spouted by the Aussies was mind boggling!

 

Growing up I always "supported" England, still do, however post Ashes 2005 the simmering English arrogance in the media means seeing them lose allows a wry smile.

 

But I see the Aussies as like the OF.

 

Don't mind NZ or India, or the West Indies.  Everyone else I'm pretty meh about, although probably dislike Pakistan and South Africa more than the Aussies!

 

Still maintain that Kasprowicz wasn't out but it was a godsend for Ashes cricket that England won that series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
1 hour ago, JWL said:

 

Still maintain that Kasprowicz wasn't out but it was a godsend for Ashes cricket that England won that series.

Edgebaston test? I think had they had the Drs stuff they have now you may be proven right!

 

But yes, it revitalised the ashes as a contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scott herbertson
8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Blackcaps underestimating the par score or has the Indian bowling just been that good today?

 

 

IMO the draw has come out really badly for everyone except England who should have enough to beat Australia.The pitch today favoured India mixed attack esp the spinners. Unless India are unlucky with the weather tomorrow  I htink they will win but get thrashed by England in the final where the pitch will very much favour England's strength, the in depth hard hitting batting.

 

If India had beaten Southafrica would have been a different story, with England India hard to call at Edgebaston - probably India favourites and then an England/ India Australia (most likely) final also pretty even at Lords

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban

India let England win. Rest assured, they won't be doing the same in the final. A piece of cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JWL
9 hours ago, Boris said:

Edgebaston test? I think had they had the Drs stuff they have now you may be proven right!

 

But yes, it revitalised the ashes as a contest.

 

Yeah, actually watched it in The Shandon just before a derby at Tynecastle (a 4-0 win I believe); the whole bar ended up enthralled in the chase. It was the best Test Match ever and I watched it again last night on You Tube, superb stuff. I agree, if they had DRS back then, Australia would have won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boris
2 minutes ago, JWL said:

 

Yeah, actually watched it in The Shandon just before a derby at Tynecastle (a 4-0 win I believe); the whole bar ended up enthralled in the chase. It was the best Test Match ever and I watched it again last night on You Tube, superb stuff. I agree, if they had DRS back then, Australia would have won.

 

Skacel's first!

 

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/200508071.html

 

I watched it in the house, then went to the match.  Son was two months old, not sure his Mum was too chuffed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
Posted (edited)

India in trouble!

Rohit Sharma fails and now Kohli trapped LBW. 5-2. India's middle order under real pressure .... or maybe they are just letting New Zealand win 😉

 

 

KL Rahul out for 1 too!

Edited by RobboM
India crapping themselves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z

:wow: What a start to proceedings this morning indeed!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM

Ooooooffft! Some catch! India reduced to 24-4 and outdo NZ for the poorest opening 10 overs in the competition. NZ fielding like tigers and every run a prisoner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scott herbertson

lol so much for my predictions....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JackLadd

I wouldn't rule out India yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scott herbertson
1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

I wouldn't rule out India yet. 

 

 

Still got MS Dhoni I guess - be tough to get through 30 overs of this though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z
56 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Still got MS Dhoni I guess - be tough to get through 30 overs of this though

 

He's approached his time at the crease far too casually so far by my reckoning. I know he's in at 7 but they need runs. The RRR is going to start climbing steadily soon...

 

And as I write that I see the update that Pandya tried a slog and top edged it and has to go. Feeling the pressure because of Dhoni's leisurely pace, I'd wager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
On 07/07/2019 at 05:12, ri Alban said:

It's not wide open, India will win it , Easily!

 

:whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown

Fall of Wicket Batsman

4-1 (1.3 ovs)Rohit

5-2 (2.4 ovs)Kohli

5-3 (3.1 ovs)Rahul

24-4 (9.6 ovs)Karthik

71-5 (22.5 ovs)Pant

92-6 (30.3 ovs)H Pandya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z

Outstanding innings from Jadeja but once again, Dhoni was essentially a passenger which is why India need nearly 2.5 a ball now with 2.1 overs to go and Bhuv coming to the crease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Outstanding innings from Jadeja but once again, Dhoni was essentially a passenger which is why India need nearly 2.5 a ball now with 2.1 overs to go and Bhuv coming to the crease.


But if he brings this home! .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...