Was Berra caught out, or was it more about Haring being taken off

Deodato

Abusing the benefit of hindsight here, but was the substitution of Peter Haring the underlying cause of that Celtic goal. 

It's easy to say Berra was at fault, but one of the reasons we were so tight up until that point was that Haring had that part of the pitch stitched up. 

Not saying Haring could have continued, that's a manager call, but simply to put any blame into context.

Two points: (1) A game of fine margins and (2) Haring was beyond immense. The substitution showed this, in my view. 

All that aside, a performance to be proud of. A club to be proud of.   

Eumir Deodato

image.png.49ce45c3b84beaf2d1d41ce54eb3a331.png

Edited by Deodato

3 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Abusing the benefit of hindsight here, but was the substitution of Peter Haring the underlying cause of that Celtic goal. 

It's easy to say Berra was at fault, but one of the reasons we were so tight up until that point was that Haring had that part of the pitch stitched up. 

Not saying Haring could have continued, that's a manager call, but simply to put any blame into context.

Two points: (1) A game of fine margins and (2) Haring was beyond immense. The substitution showed this, in my view. 

Eumir Deodato

You’ll be slaughtered for this mate. We didn’t lose cause Haring went off, we lost because Levein out managed Lennon and every hearts player played a blinder and we should all be very proud of how well we played. No point pointing out the flaws in what unfolded, better to Pat each other on the back and look forward to the future under Levein. 

Edited by busby1985

Malinga the Swinga

99 times out of a hundred, that ball is intercepted or goes harmlessly through to keeper. It wasn't intentionally put there, despite the gushing of pundits desparate to have you believe otherwise. Just a piece of bad luck.

7 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Haring signalled to be taken off

Non-point.

Berra lost his man anyway.

He signalled? :( 

Christ sakes man. I know he's carrying an injury but for christ sake, its a cup final 

Gulf Jambo
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Christ sakes man. I know he's carrying an injury but for christ sake, its a cup final 

Shows the kind of player he is that he signalled. Put the team before personal glory or ambition.

He thought someone else would be more fit to do the job when the injury flared up so moved aside.

Top quality in my opinion

5 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Shows the kind of player he is that he signalled. Put the team before personal glory or ambition.

He thought someone else would be more fit to do the job when the injury flared up so moved aside.

Top quality in my opinion

Its just horrible man. IMO Haring is our best midfielder hands down, does the dirty work spectacularly. I can completely see that view but its just gutting the end result. 

50 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

You’ll be slaughtered for this mate. We didn’t lose cause Haring went off, we lost because Levein out managed Lennon and every hearts player played a blinder and we should all be very proud of how well we played. No point pointing out the flaws in what unfolded, better to Pat each other on the back and look forward to the future under Levein. 

Pathetic.

The Internet
47 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'd rather an injured player went off tbf.

I think everyone is missing the point the OP is trying to make.  He's suggesting that if Haring was fully fit and stayed on, he would have covered that header.

Imo he is probably right.  Berra appeared to be looking for someone who wasn't there.

letsalldothebeattie

For me Berra at fault. Lost Edouard too easy then looked to try get out of trouble by looking for offside. Not going to hammer him as it’s one of they things. The team played well today can’t fault any of them over the 90

38 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I think everyone is missing the point the OP is trying to make.  He's suggesting that if Haring was fully fit and stayed on, he would have covered that header.

Imo he is probably right.  Berra appeared to be looking for someone who wasn't there.

Not missing the point - the word “blame” is in the title. Clear what the OP is getting at.

I don’t know how anyone can say that Haring would definitely be anywhere near the header through or its trajectory.

Its like 5 year olds in a playground making up shite to try and prove themselves right.

A group of Hearts fans trying to find absolutely every ridiculous reason - even where one doesn’t exist - to have a pop at the man who even gave us the chance to moan about a “losing goal”

****ing pathetic.

Edited by Jammy T

39 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

For me Berra at fault. Lost Edouard too easy then looked to try get out of trouble by looking for offside. Not going to hammer him as it’s one of they things. The team played well today can’t fault any of them over the 90

Berra is the best in scotland in the air.

He is fast becoming almost a liability if it is on the deck - in which respect it is well known that I think his injury has done more long term damage than we think to his general mobility.

A bit of a conundrum for next season.

At least most SPL teams play agricultural football.

Edited by Jammy T

letsalldothebeattie
4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

He is fast becoming almost a liability if it is on the deck - in which respect it is well known that I think his injury has done more long term damage than we think to his general mobility.

He has to hit the ground running pre season or it’s Souttar & Halkett next season 

N Lincs Jambo

For me Celtic were never gonna score from open play while Haring was on. He was immense. Everything Celtic threw at us was dealt with then Haring gets subbed. My assumption is he was goosed.  We got 80 minutes out of him when we probably had banked in 60 and when he went off they scored their only real chance from open play. Can’t blame anyone for that.

1 minute ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

For me Celtic were never gonna score from open play while Haring was on. He was immense. Everything Celtic threw at us was dealt with then Haring gets subbed. My assumption is he was goosed.  We got 80 minutes out of him when we probably had banked in 60 and when he went off they scored their only real chance from open play. Can’t blame anyone for that.

And that chance was from a clearing header , a mistake by our player and a clever run by a £9million striker. Penalty was soft as and no way were they scoring from open play otherwise ????

N Lincs Jambo
1 minute ago, sadj said:

And that chance was from a clearing header , a mistake by our player and a clever run by a £9million striker. Penalty was soft as and no way were they scoring from open play otherwise ????

They weren’t Sadj, that’s what makes it more gutting. You look at the value of their team and ours today and you have to wonder how it was such an even game. Ok I’m biassed but I thought we created the better chances and with a bit more quality in the final 3rd, we’d have destroyed them. Think Rudi, Bednar, Velicka and we’d have the cup in Gorgie 

8 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

They weren’t Sadj, that’s what makes it more gutting. You look at the value of their team and ours today and you have to wonder how it was such an even game. Ok I’m biassed but I thought we created the better chances and with a bit more quality in the final 3rd, we’d have destroyed them. Think Rudi, Bednar, Velicka and we’d have the cup in Gorgie 

I think without Collum giving the Pen they could still be playing while we were off celebrating and they still wouldn’t score. Nothing biased saying what you are there mate. Harings header , Edwards in the first couple mins (striker scores that) Hayes had at least two brilliant defensive headers to clear the ball and prevent a shot on target

Thunderstruck
2 hours ago, Deodato said:

Eumir Deodato

There was a minute or slightly more between the sub and the goal. There seemed to be a momentary lack of organisation as players shuffled round. That is the risk of making a sub when players are in a groove. In this case, it was a risk that had to be taken as Haring had been visibly struggling. 

I won’t be convinced that the header forward was anything other than a clearance but they got lucky. 

N Lincs Jambo
6 minutes ago, sadj said:

I think without Collum giving the Pen they could still be playing while we were off celebrating and they still wouldn’t score. Nothing biased saying what you are there mate. Harings header , Edwards in the first couple mins (striker scores that) Hayes had at least two brilliant defensive headers to clear the ball and prevent a shot on target

Makes it all the more gutting tbh. From where I was in B2 I thought it was a pen especially as the players didn’t exactly protest. My eyesight unfortunately is not as good as it once was and I’m going to have to look at the game again (got the missus to record it just in case).

Robbo-Jambo
3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Non-point.

No he didn't he was pissed off that he hsd to come off. 

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Wrong. He clearly gave the signal to the bench that he needed to come off. 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He definitely made signals to the bench about coming off, prior to being subbed, watched him do it.

3 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Why are you so ****ing desperate to play the blame game - it doesn’t have the feel of a proper Hearts fan to me.

kingantti1874
4 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Whats the point ins post like this, are you trying to insinuate that levein wanted to sub having so you can blame him for it? ffs

7 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I'd rather an injured player went off tbf.

He didn't look too happy about being subbed to me.

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

He definitely made signals to the bench about coming off, prior to being subbed, watched him do it.

Hickey signalled and was left on. 

Jesus Christ I know we’re hurting but trying to put the blame on Levein is pathetic. I’m not pro CL but in the biggest game since we went into administration he had us set up perfectly, and theres no way he took Haring off if he was fine to continue

Gorgieshed

Good point from OP.

If the blame goes to anyone its Berra for me.

It is painful watching him now. The bad injury/age has caught up with him. He needs to sort himself pre season or he should be a bit part player next year. At the moment he his more of a liability than an asset for us. Hopefully he can sort himself because pre Celtic injury he was a rock.

Austin MacGlee
9 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Got slaughtered on here for saying similar last night. I was pished mind so I wasn't as eloquent as you here.

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Jesus Christ I know we’re hurting but trying to put the blame on Levein is pathetic. I’m not pro CL but in the biggest game since we went into administration he had us set up perfectly, and theres no way he took Haring off if he was fine to continue

This

Last week we lost after we made the subs. This week we lost after making the subs. Just an observation.

We made two mistakes.  Not the first mistake Zlamal has made.  And not the first time Berra’s been caught out, particularly post injury.  There’s no blame; it’s just where we are.  The 9m striker exploited both mistakes.

Robbo-Jambo
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Whats the point ins post like this, are you trying to insinuate that levein wanted to sub having so you can blame him for it? ffs

Where did I even say that about Levein. I said he didn't look happy about coming off and even the commentators said that. Nothing insinuated just saying what I saw. Ffs

Robbo-Jambo
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Why are you so ****ing desperate to play the blame game - it doesn’t have the feel of a proper Hearts fan to me.

Ffs not blaming anyone just saying he didn't look happy about it. Not a proper hearts fan!! Been following them home and away for over 45 years. 

Robbo-Jambo
6 hours ago, Rudolf said:

Wrong. He clearly gave the signal to the bench that he needed to come off. 

Fair enough then didn't see that. He didn't look happy walking off and the commentators said that as well. Maybe is was just sheer diappointment

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Where did I even say that about Levein. I said he didn't look happy about coming off and even the commentators said that. Nothing insinuated just saying what I saw. Ffs

You responded the OP’s remark about signalling to come off and said “no he didn’t” 

either he did signal to come off or levein wanted to take him off (either way he won’t  have been happy).. given it was absolutely the former your post jumping on the OP came across as someone who wanted to blame the manager like so many on this board

if if that wasn’t your intention fair enough I withdraw my point. 

Robbo-Jambo
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You responded the OP’s remark about signalling to come off and said “no he didn’t” 

either he did signal to come off or levein wanted to take him off (either way he won’t  have been happy).. given it was absolutely the former your post jumping on the OP came across as someone who wanted to blame the manager like so many on this board

if if that wasn’t your intention fair enough I withdraw my point. 

I just tried to edit my post but too late. Have just seen posts that he signalled to come off, fair enough hold my hands up I didn't see that. Maybe just a look of sheer frustration on his face. Not blaming CL or anybody they were all superb yesterday. 

Robbo-Jambo
5 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Also I have just seen posts about him signalling to come off. I didn't see that so I hold my hands up. It must have sheer frustration when he came off. Not blaming anyone and as I said in my last post calling me not a proper hearts fan is out of order. You couldn't meet anybody that loved HMFC more than myself. 

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

Robbo-Jambo
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He didn't look too happy about being subbed to me.

Yes I know, but I am getting abuse from folk on here for saying that. Apparently he signalled to come off which I didn't see so I was wrong in that case. He was obviously just really sick that he had to come off hence the look on his fence. 

colinmaroon
9 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Of course he was, BECAUSE HE COULDN'T CARRY ON!

You think Robbo-Jambo fools anyone!!!

gashauskis9
12 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Non-point.

This.  The fact that Haring managed 75 mins with his injury and was still head and shoulders the best player on the park was a miracle.  We should build the team round him next season, he’s colossal.

Robbo-Jambo
6 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Of course he was, BECAUSE HE COULDN'T CARRY ON!

You think Robbo-Jambo fools anyone!!!

Don't understand your second sentence but in the last few posts I have said that I have made an error and held my hands up to it. 

part_time_jambo
10 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Totally agree. Just lacking that bit of quality when it mattered. £9 million players give you that.

I thought at the game it was a shocker from Berra,  just watched it on tv again.....it is worse than that.

Berra did not deserve that to happen.

Bazzas right boot

Both centre half's were ball watching after a poor clearance. 

9/10 that ball is harmless tho. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Naismith. 

N Lincs Jambo
3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Naismith. 

Yep absolutely. Now the final’s done just hope we can get him back and properly fit in time for next season.