Levein In!

R08813

5 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

No it isn't and no he isn't. 

I'm still not convinced he will stay as manager but if folk stop going because they dislike the manager then that speaks more about them than the club or our staff.

Well said JJ. I’ll always support the club and follow the team irrespective of who’s in the directors box and the dugout. Too many snowflakes and pant wetters getting 

upset here. Think to where we were 5 years ago. We’ve made leaps and bounds and not even scratched the surface yet.

Pathetic from some folk who won’t renew their ST based on the manager. I’ll lay a wager with anyone that we won’t finish 6th next year. The future is bright, the futures maroon ?? HHGH 

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil Dunphy

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• soonbe110

Dennis Law
21 hours ago, R08813 said:

One of the most noticeable aspects of the game today was that the tactics were absolutely spot on. The pressing play from the players had Celtic on the back foot for the majority of the game, and say what you want, what I saw today was a team keen to put his plan into action. This has been a sore season in many respects, losing our talisman for the majority of the season and being without key players for much of the rest; despite this and the impact it inevitably had on form due to the difficulty of building momentum, Craig has done enough to convince me at least that with one or two more signings and a good chance to allow the squad to recover, we will see a very different league form next season. This has been a season of highs and lows, but Craig is the right man to get us firing next season. Onwards and upwards. 

Craig has got tactics and selections spot on a handful of times this season. Simply not good enough. His brand of football is dated and his style is potentially going to hinder Hickey and any others who want to play forward and progress over the half way line ! Levein done well yesterday no doubt about that but for the sake of all he should go now. Let’s not waste another season by having to empty him in  October and a new manager left saddled with the crap he has left in his trail.

i wish jj was my dad

Heard it all now. Levein will hinder Hickey. 

:vrface:

By all means criticise tactics and results but Levein has made a very positive impact on the development of these kids.  It really undermines your argument when you make shit up.

2 hours ago, Dennis Law said:

Craig has got tactics and selections spot on a handful of times this season. Simply not good enough. His brand of football is dated and his style is potentially going to hinder Hickey and any others who want to play forward and progress over the half way line ! Levein done well yesterday no doubt about that but for the sake of all he should go now. Let’s not waste another season by having to empty him in  October and a new manager left saddled with the crap he has left in his trail.

Hickey was with us as a kid, left to go Celtic for four years. Decided he wanted to come back because Hearts would help him progress further. You turn that into Levein hindering Hickey?????? Absolutely craziest post of the weekend. 

My heart says I’d love him to stay and turn things around.

But my head has huge doubts wether he can do this.

I don’t care who was playing the facts are facts.We went to a cup final and lost.You only go to cup finals to win.

Dennis Law
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Hickey was with us as a kid, left to go Celtic for four years. Decided he wanted to come back because Hearts would help him progress further. You turn that into Levein hindering Hickey?????? Absolutely craziest post of the weekend. 

Lol nae bother Craig 

It should have been ten
3 hours ago, Dennis Law said:

Perfect username for you. Dennis Law is a slaver too. 

The Future's Maroon
19 minutes ago, Dennis Law said:

Lol nae bother Craig 

Celtic tried to turn him into a midfielder, it didn’t work out and he was advised Hearts AND Levein would be better for him....he just started the Scottish Cup Final one on one with best player in the league and kept him quiet....not a bad choice if you ask me?

Inch Hearts
4 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Celtic tried to turn him into a midfielder, it didn’t work out and he was advised Hearts AND Levein would be better for him....he just started the Scottish Cup Final one on one with best player in the league and kept him quiet....not a bad choice if you ask me?

How long is his contract with us?  Celtic could easily come sniffing again would be a worry. 

He he played in midfield mainly for the development side too I’m sure.  

Edited by Inch Hearts

Dennis Law
7 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

My point which, it should have been ten and soonbe110 didn’t understand is, Hickey has real potential to follow Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney, both attacking full backs. Do you think Levein is capable of making that happen?

Edited by Dennis Law

9 minutes ago, Dennis Law said:

My point which, it should have been ten and soonbe110 didn’t understand is, Hickey has real potential to follow Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney, both attacking full backs. Do you think Levein is capable of making that happen?

The evidence so far suggests... yes.

Edited by Guest

The Future's Maroon
49 minutes ago, Dennis Law said:

Your last sentence, did he start for us against the best team in Scotland by a mile and arguably against the best player in the league....and more than hold his own, in fact nullify said best player?

You answered your own question without realising.

How many managers would have had the confidence and courage to play a 16 year old from the start in a SC Final.  That 16 year old marking a superb player who was Scotland's Player of the Year.

A gamble I suppose but it paid off in spectacular fashion.  

Outstanding.

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

So many people now all of a sudden want Levein, in charge next season based on what? a change of tactics it’s only taken him the whole ****ing season. End of the day we still lost we still ended the season level on points with a Motherwell team in 8th place! Open your eyes people what do you think Is going to happen next season. Absolutely deluded a new coaching structure is needed with a coach who’s tactics are to attack and press “ consistently “ and not just the odd game here and there.

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

How many managers would have had the confidence and courage to play a 16 year old from the start in a SC Final.  That 16 year old marking a superb player who was Scotland's Player of the Year.

A gamble I suppose but it paid off in spectacular fashion.  

Outstanding.

A manger with no other option than to do so. Do you think he would of played Hickey, If Mitchell and Garuccio, were fit? No have a day off.

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
13 hours ago, Anderson5 said:

Our form guide currently reads:

LDLLLL

If you only count league games our form guide currently reads:

LLDLLL

And yet some people are saying they’ve seen enough signs of progress in these matches that they think we will finish 2nd or 3rd next season if we keep Levein. 

I’m genuinely astounded. 

Exactly 

24 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

A manger with no other option than to do so. Do you think he would of played Hickey, If Mitchell and Garuccio, were fit? No have a day off.

He had plenty of other options.  I'd need a day off to list them but I'm a busy sort of chap.

Lets no beat about the bush 

Our form under Craig has been horrendous. 4 weeks ago I'd have assured you we would get humped from Celtic. I'm chuffed we gave them a game and that we had maximum effort from all involved and can come away with our heads held high, but that should be it now. Craig should not be allowed to spend more money on recruitment. He wanted judged after 2 windows and he's had 3 now. Its Time to move on 

Alex Kintner
10 hours ago, Julie1957 said:

I don’t care who was playing the facts are facts.We went to a cup final and lost.You only go to cup finals to win.

??

Jambof3tornado

Looking like he's going nowhere. Disappointing as this season we should have done so much better.

If he stays he gets my support but I think its a mistake giving him more time in charge.

A loss in a cup final means he deserves more time? :laugh:

Ah well then, that's that.  Interesting to see the ST numbers with him staying on now.

7 hours ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

He could have played Shaughnessy/Burns/Bozanic at LB or gone with 3 at the back which is what he almost certainly would have done if Mitchell had been in the team.  He could even have played Dikamona RB and moved Smith across.

132goals1958
6 minutes ago, Morph said:

A loss in a cup final means he deserves more time? :laugh:

Ah well then, that's that.  Interesting to see the ST numbers with him staying on now.

Your comments come over that you will be    

quite happy if ST tickets are down 

2 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Your comments come over that you will be    

quite happy if ST tickets are down 

Aye I’ll be delighted right enough. 

13 minutes ago, Morph said:

Aye I’ll be delighted right enough. 

At least you're honest about it.

upgotheheads
On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:17, tartofmidlothian said:

This. It's also worth reminding people about his serious health scare last year, and how well he did to get back and keep the ship steady.

With a couple of disclaimers. Our summer signings need to include a couple of guys with the experience to hit the ground running, I think we've been over-reliant on 'projects' like Clare, Wighton, the young lads and now Edwards this season, as well as punts from other leagues like Lee and Bozanic, and guys who are there for their experience - mainly Maclean but also Hughes.

Also, there can't be any ****ing about or excuses next season. We need to be right there in contention for at least the top four all the way, especially with Clarke gone. I love Craig Levein and I think good managers should be given time, but a lot of the fan's patience has been used up this season. We need to start seeing our loyalty and investment is going towards a team which is determined to push on and achieve things.

This.      

We desperately need a couple of players  to add some grit and guile to the midfield. The stats without Naismith and Haring  emphasise the point, we were too reliant on their strength and ability in that area and Djoum couldn't' cope on his own.

The Mercer Takeover

Had the weekend to mull this over now and enough is enough, unless the serial loser and managerial charlatan Levein is removed, I'm simply not renewing.

I can't believe it has come to this as I have had a season ticket for over 30 years, but I'm so p@ssed off with this man that I simply can't face it any more. I will undoubtedly attend ad-hoc games but football isn't just about participating.....

In a real quandary over FOH payments as well. Mine are not the biggest payments, for what it is worth, but the way I feel about Budge's refusal to resolve this situation just now, this is becoming an issue for me. The thing is, the one clear thing this woman listened to over the Cathro shambles, was when large contributors started threatening to pull the plug.        

In my opinion this club is heading downhill fast at the moment. As long as the status-quo is maintained and the majority of those, who actually attend games regularly are ignored, we will go backwards. Attendances dropped under Levein the last time and it is happening all over again. What is almost as annoying, is that there is a number on here who couldn't care less about how many turn up at games as long as they think they can win an argument on a football forum. Supporters attending games is the heart and blood of any football club and we need to unite ours again. We are not some rotary club social, but a football club who are supposed to be trying to win football trophies.            

Sorry for offending those who are happy to settle with what they are seeing, but this is just not right.

It should have been ten
3 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Had the weekend to mull this over now and enough is enough, unless the serial loser and managerial charlatan Levein is removed, I'm simply not renewing.

I can't believe it has come to this as I have had a season ticket for over 30 years, but I'm so p@ssed off with this man that I simply can't face it any more. I will undoubtedly attend ad-hoc games but football isn't just about participating.....

In a real quandary over FOH payments as well. Mine are not the biggest payments, for what it is worth, but the way I feel about Budge's refusal to resolve this situation just now, this is becoming an issue for me. The thing is, the one clear thing this woman listened to over the Cathro shambles, was when large contributors started threatening to pull the plug.        

In my opinion this club is heading downhill fast at the moment. As long as the status-quo is maintained and the majority of those, who actually attend games regularly are ignored, we will go backwards. Attendances dropped under Levein the last time and it is happening all over again. What is almost as annoying, is that there is a number on here who couldn't care less about how many turn up at games as long as they think they can win an argument on a football forum. Supporters attending games is the heart and blood of any football club and we need to unite ours again. We are not some rotary club social, but a football club who are supposed to be trying to win football trophies.            

Sorry for offending those who are happy to settle with what they are seeing, but this is just not right.

:clyay:

:bolt:

The only bolting taking place should be the one on the door after Levein has gone. 

There's no danger he's going before the season starts.  None.  

I'll be renewing, despite serious question marks over him.  The second half of the league season has been woeful and while there are some mitigating circumstances in the injuries, he was too stubborn to change things when it was obvious the team needed fresh ideas.  That's pretty common with him.

In his defence, the core of the squad he's got signed up on longer term deals is now up there as one of the best in the league and the youngsters coming through are all very promising.  Personally I would rather see someone else have a go, but also I don't think we're as far away from being a good team under him as a lot of folk.  

It's people's choice whether they renew or not, I'd rather we had full houses every week getting behind the team because Saturday showed what a great support can do for us.  But it's up to everyone to make that call for themselves

i wish jj was my dad
36 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Hearts fan my arse.

37 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Good. 

27 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

The highlighted part gives the show away and severely dilutes the worth of your post.  There are many good managers fans would like to see at Tynecastle who have won nothing (eg Pochettino).

As for your last paragraph, it is arrogance on your part to think that anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly agree with you is happy to settle with what we are seeing.  I, for one, was happy with the performance on Saturday when we had most of our injured players back and but for 2 avoidable errors (CL didn't make them) we could have been sitting this morning as Cup winners.

No one can predict the future but it is laughable to suggest we are going downhill fast.  You just need to consider the last 2 games alone when we have seen promising talent like C Smith, Irving, Hickey come in and acquit themselves very well, not to mention McDonald, Cochrane and Keena.  Add to that a fit Naisy, Halkett and 4 (supposedly) upgrade signings to go with Souttar, Berra, M Smith, Uche, Haring etc.  Mulraney and Edwards will be serious contenders too.  If we do indeed get 4 upgrade signings the biggest problem CL, or whoever is manager, will have is who to leave out, not who to put in

52 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Enjoy the time away. 

57 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

As soon as anyone starts talking about stopping their FOH payments is the moment a poster’s credibility is completely lost.

The Mercer Takeover
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Can't believe this.

We are going to do the whole Cathro thing all over again. This is going to ruin another season after he is sacked after a dozen or so games.  

Everyone except a minority on here can see that now is the time to make changes.

I would prefer a new management team for next season but I’ve still bought my season ticket. 

I suspect he'll never have a better chance to win a trophy as a manager and he chose to put Bozanic rather than Cochrane on for Haring.  A sub to not lose rather than win the Cup.  Who knows how Cochrane would have done but that decision encapsulates Levein's football philosophy.

SuperstarSteve

Sad truth is it doesn’t matter who is in charge. Competing isn’t an option when it’s the officials who dictate games. 

This time next year Celtic will be going for the quadruple. 

The media and SFA love in will see to it they win their 12th consecutive trophy. 

Very proud of this club and it’s support. 

Edited by SuperstarSteve

1 minute ago, Coco said:

I suspect he'll never have a better chance to win a trophy as a manager and he chose to put Bozanic rather than Cochrane on for Haring.  A sub to not lose rather than win the Cup.  Who knows how Cochrane would have done but that decision encapsulates Levein's football philosophy.

Bozanic was an attacking substitution at 2-1 down for his set piece threat. 

Anyone who thinks CL is doing well must have missed all the home games since the turn of the year. The reality is that many who have bought season tickets are not turning up - gaps in Main and Georgie stands and hospitality areas getting bigger and have reached point of embarrassment. Battling well in one off games like the final doesn’t hide the fact that the team is playing dire hoofball.

1 hour ago, Diego10 said:

There's no danger he's going before the season starts.  None.  

I'll be renewing, despite serious question marks over him.  The second half of the league season has been woeful and while there are some mitigating circumstances in the injuries, he was too stubborn to change things when it was obvious the team needed fresh ideas.  That's pretty common with him.

In his defence, the core of the squad he's got signed up on longer term deals is now up there as one of the best in the league and the youngsters coming through are all very promising.  Personally I would rather see someone else have a go, but also I don't think we're as far away from being a good team under him as a lot of folk.  

It's people's choice whether they renew or not, I'd rather we had full houses every week getting behind the team because Saturday showed what a great support can do for us.  But it's up to everyone to make that call for themselves

If by core you mean one possibly 2 centre backs and a defensive midfielder then you've nailed it. Truth is apart from Souttar and Haring the rest of the squad who played the majority of the season is bang average (Naismith aside). Halkett may be a good player but we've signed plenty of players who played for other SPL teams who have not performed well for us. If Naismith signs then you can add him to the list. Mulraney has improved from the start of the season. Smith is solid if unspectacular. Some of young players have come in and done well, but haven't played enough games for us to know if they've got what it takes. Again there have been plenty of young players who have played a handful of games and looked very good but then went on to do nothing of note for us. Our current squad is nowhere near one of the best in the league and it's this delusional thinking which has lead to people thinking keeping Levein is a good idea. He's had three transfer windows and while our recent cup runs have been better than previous seasons our league performances especially in the 2nd half of the year have been woeful other than an improved albeit losing performance on Saturday. It really is time for a new manager and the fact so many people are using a one off performance as reason for optimism is unbelievable. 

Edited by dougal

41 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Bozanic was an attacking substitution at 2-1 down for his set piece threat. 

That's not right.  The sub was at 1-1.  Celtic scored immediately after.

20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Winning on Saturday would have been the perfect ending to Levein's management career. I think he might well have announced his retirement in the wake of it and would have returned to the DoF role as a hero.

Losing the game makes it harder for him to give up the job but his frustration at how close he came to winning a trophy is not the right reason for him to stay on in the role. And it can't just be his decision anyway.

His game plan on Saturday was perfect and worked well for the first hour. The Haring/Bozanic sub was enforced and Bozanic put in several excellent set pieces so no complaints there. Wighton for Clare was the wrong decision and I'm not sure swapping Uche for MacLean was the right thing to do either. But he came very close to stopping the treble treble and deserves credit for that... although he did spend about 6 weeks coming up with his game plan for the Cup final having written off the last five or six league games!

Overall the last two seasons have been disappointing and at times incredibly frustrating to watch. A huge number of players signed and a lot of mistakes made in recruitment. Some very strange situations like the spat with Vanecek that could have been handled better. (Still convinced he could score goals for Hearts but probably not under Levein.) 

Ultimately for me the biggest problem is mentality. Levein is passionate about Hearts, dedicated to the club and a very competent manager. But somehow he lacks the x factor to instil a winning mentality into the players, the pride and determination not to allow anyone to beat us at Tynecastle, the confidence and expectation that we can go to Glasgow and win. 

His recent comments about just how relentless the season is and how exhausting it is preparing for so many games (as well as trying to do his DoF job) makes me think he needs to hand over the reins to someone with more energy and someone who hasn't already had a heart attack.

I renewed my season ticket weeks ago but would be a lot more excited about next season if someone else took over. What I want is someone in the same mould as Naismith. Not Naismith as he has no management experience. But someone with his attitude. No fear of the Old Firm. A proven winner who can instil that confidence and belief in others. Someone who is determined to win away to Hamilton in the pouring rain, or toward the end of the season when there is a chance of 4th rather than 6th, as well as in the so-called big games. 

6 minutes ago, Coco said:

That's not right.  The sub was at 1-1.  Celtic scored immediately after.

Yes, fair enough and injury substitution for Haring. But certainly not defensive. 

• davemclaren locked this topic