Levein In!

R08813

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, martoon said:

Winning the Cup on Saturday would have been superb but it still wouldn't have convinced me that CL is doing a good job. 

The "everything else (that you dumb fans can't see) is brilliant" routine is a joke. It's what's on the pitch, in games now, that count and not just those in some faraway utopian future we'll never see. I'm tired of promises and plans that never/rarely come to fruition. Kilmarnock didn't need them. They simply appointed well in the here and now and made progression that's been immediate and clear to see. 

A long term plan that lay foundations for success would be the ideal for any club. But the chances of having the right man there to start it is a long shot and there has to come a point when persisting with something that brings no progression must stop.

Promises on the never, never won't bring silverware to Tynecastle. 

Agree with a little bit of that.

His DoF part is going very well in respect of the Academy, not so well in first team recruitment. Neil McCann said on the highlights he has lost none of his fire. This I disagree with. Young Levein would have got a better reaction, than the shite suffered, particularly since Doyles howler.

Binning him altogether would be lunacy, but if he carries on in the Managers seat, I want to see the passion shown on Saturday, nearly every week

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil Dunphy

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• soonbe110

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

If you can't replace with better, then yes. 

Why would you replace with worse? 

That's a ****ing terrible plan. 

Agree if we can't replace with a better manager then it wouldn't be a great idea, but only mentioning ex players as the pool to pick from is just as bad. We're the third biggest club in the country and if as has already been stated looking at bringing in four more players then we've got some money to spend. If we advertise the job I'm certain that while the usual suspects will apply we should be able to get a large number of applicants and the sooner we can do this the better as it would give us more time to interview potential candidates and get a manager in place to allow them to assess the squad and identify players and positions that need strengthened.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Not for a cup winning manager.

And certainly not for the manager who won THAT cup final either.

Perhaps fair enough, but we only have one side of the story.

It needs to be a fast start that's for sure. As football fans, and I include myself things tend to be really good or bad, nothing in the middle, middle is seen as bad, and that's where I genuinely think we are.

This has been a luckless season, but I don't think he helped matters. He isn't a diplomat for sure and that perhaps tends to exaggerate things to the negative when other matters go less well.

Got a bit of making up to do and quickly is my assessment, Saturday was but a start. Was a positive day for the club, but I'd rather be speaking about a positive year for the club

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Perhaps fair enough, but we only have one side of the story.

It needs to be a fast start that's for sure. As football fans, and I include myself things tend to be really good or bad, nothing in the middle, middle is seen as bad, and that's where I genuinely think we are.

This has been a luckless season, but I don't think he helped matters. He isn't a diplomat for sure and that perhaps tends to exaggerate things to the negative when other matters go less well.

Got a bit of making up to do and quickly is my assessment, Saturday was but a start. Was a positive day for the club, but I'd rather be speaking about a positive year for the club

I don't really think there's a viable explanation why the hierarchy at Hearts ignored a cup winning manager when he applied for the job. At it's best, it's ungrateful. At it's worst, it's arrogant.

You make your own luck in football. You have to roll with the punches, something our management did not do. Even when players started coming back into the side, did it get any better? No, it didn't.

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I don't really think there's a viable explanation why the hierarchy at Hearts ignored a cup winning manager when he applied for the job. At it's best, it's ungrateful. At it's worst, it's arrogant.

You make your own luck in football. You have to roll with the punches, something our management did not do. Even when players started coming back into the side, did it get any better? No, it didn't.

Cup winning but dire in the league. How long has Sergio been out of work by the way? Is it just us who “ignored” him. Did he apply through the proper channels or did he apply through the media? Lets get JJ back. Won us the cup.

Sergio also turned down a new contract with us its worth pointing out.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I never said foreign.

I said from outside Scotland.

Fair enough, but getting someone from England that has won a trophy is a very long shot. 

You said this was also your criteria. (unless you meant the lower league cups as well, which I'd find strange) 

I assumed you meant outside the UK, giving that point. 

Can't see us getting a Epl, championship lc or fa Cup Winning manager. 

Your criteria is at conflict with itself if looking at England or very unrealistic. 

Outside Scotland who has won something Likley means foreign giving our budget. 

Again, if a candidate that had won a trophy in England becomes available, I think that would qualify as an outstanding candidate and most would be happy if appointed. 

The problem is it is unrealistic, so you come back to guys like Hartley, McCann etc. 

Anyway, as you often do when pressed you often split hairs and become defensive and the debate gets bogged down in irrelevant points. 

If you're dream guy from outside Scotland that has won things in another country wanted to come here then I'd be on board. 

The problems are-

Foreign coaches of such ilk are unlikely to come to Scotland. 

English ones Likley outwith our reach. 

The examples you gave also failed your own criteria. 

How is the Dundalk manager getting on that got to the group stages, not heard much about him?He was always someone I thought about. 

Phil Dunphy
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Cup winning but dire in the league. How long has Sergio been out of work by the way? Is it just us who “ignored” him. Did he apply through the proper channels or did he apply through the media? Lets get JJ back. Won us the cup.

I'm not interested in other clubs, though. Not exactly difficult to say "thanks, but you're not what we had in mind", is it? 

PS had to deal with a lot more shit than CL ever had to at Hearts and still managed to win us a trophy. And we finished 5th, a place higher than CL has in each of the last two seasons. Even if he's not the right man for the job, treating a former cup winning manager with such disregard is incredibly disappointing from Hearts.

18 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

No, it doesn't.

But that's what the interview process is for. To discuss philosophy.

Cathro had the right philosophy.

I’m sure there is a fine young manager out there who would do a good job. As we’ve seen it’s a lottery though when looking for a new manager. My view is don’t do it unless you really need to.

Calderwood, Collins, Pattalainen, Fenlon, Hughes, Butcher and co were all highly rated, some quite up and coming managers when Hibs went through their manager a year or two spell.... As was Tommy McLean when he came to us. Be careful what you wish for.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

It certainly did improve on Saturday. He was still missing his 2 best strikers.

I tend to take a more balanced view. I agree you make your own luck and we should have done better, but there were plenty of times we were competitive.

Not sure I've ever seen such an odd season in truth. With exception from half time in the semi to full time the following week we matched Celtic. Rangers performances were awful. Aberdeen had the best away record in the league but were put in their place at Tynecastle, the derbies another mixed bag. Livingston shambles, chuck in St Mirren and Dundee, way too many shambles, but yet the team that has just won its 9th trophy probably find us as their hardest opponent along with Rangers

Edited by Sir Gio

I'm not interested in other clubs, though. Not exactly difficult to say "thanks, but you're not what we had in mind", is it? 

PS had to deal with a lot more shit than CL ever had to at Hearts and still managed to win us a trophy. And we finished 5th, a place higher than CL has in each of the last two seasons. Even if he's not the right man for the job, treating a former cup winning manager with such disregard is incredibly disappointing from Hearts.

The irony from someone who rips into someone who has done much more for Hearts than Sergio, much as I loved the guy, on a daily basis.

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Fair enough, but getting someone from England that has won a trophy is a very long shot. 

You said this was also your criteria. (unless you meant the lower league cups as well, which I'd find strange) 

I assumed you meant outside the UK, giving that point. 

Can't see us getting a Epl, championship lc or fa Cup Winning manager. 

Your criteria is at conflict with itself if looking at England or very unrealistic. 

Outside Scotland who has won something Likley means foreign giving our budget. 

Again, if a candidate that had won a trophy in England becomes available, I think that would qualify as an outstanding candidate and most would be happy if appointed. 

The problem is it is unrealistic, so you come back to guys like Hartley, McCann etc. 

Anyway, as you often do when pressed you often split hairs and become defensive and the debate gets bogged down in irrelevant points. 

If you're dream guy from outside Scotland that has won things in another country wanted to come here then I'd be on board. 

The problems are-

Foreign coaches of such ilk are unlikely to come to Scotland. 

English ones Likley outwith our reach. 

The examples you gave also failed your own criteria. 

How is the Dundalk manager getting on that got to the group stages, not heard much about him?He was always someone I thought about. 

Three boxes. Find the manager who ticks the most boxes then.

- No experience of the fishbowl that is Scottish football.

- Has managed a club the size of Hearts before (or bigger, whatever)

- Won a trophy before? Even better, but not essential.

You're assuming I want a manager who's won silverware with a big club when that's not what I said. Steve Clarke did a wonderful job at Kilmarnock without being someone who took England by storm. There are plenty good managers out there who would do very well with a club like Hearts.

Whether you want the club to look for them and try and progress is your business. I do. I want the club to not accept the hideous mediocrity that has been the last 2 seasons of league form.

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

It certainly did on Saturday. He was still missing his 2 best strikers.

I tend to take a more balanced view. I agree you make your own luck and we should have done better, but there were plenty of times we were competitive.

Not sure I've ever seen such an odd season in truth. With exception from half time in the semi to full time the following week we matched Celtic. Rangers performances were awful. Aberdeen had the best away record in the league but were put in their place at Tynecastle, the derbies another mixed bag. Livingston shambles, chuck in St Mirren and Dundee, way too many shambles, but yet the team that has just won its 9th trophy probably find us as their hardest opponent along with Rangers

This. The most bizarre season or two I can remember for a host of reasons. I’d welcome a sensible manager transition this summer if there’s someone. Sacking Levein without someone in mind though is much riskier than one more season during which a thorough search can take place.

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The irony from someone who rips into someone who has done much more for Hearts than Sergio, much as I loved the guy, on a daily basis.

Where did I "rip into him" exactly?

You're just making things up now.

Phil Dunphy

"Let's Just Wait & See"

The mantra of every successful club in world football.

Plenty of people have been putting forward Naismith's name as player manager. I'm not for that but there surely must be some coaches at EPL clubs who would love a chance to manage a club or even an ex-pro giving his start at management. Hibs did it with Stubbs and Derby are doing it with Lampard. Surely there are more like this who would put their hat in the ring should the opportunity arise.

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

The fact we played so well on Saturday makes the league form even harder to take.

The same when we ran Celtic so close at Tynecastle with 10 men. Something is stopping the players from performing on a weekly basis and I'm fairly sure I know what that is.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

"Let's Just Wait & See"

Equally, lets just sack the manager, the mantra of many a shite one :)

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He’s been out of work since the season finished in Iran about two weeks ago.He said he has offers to go back. How long had it been since Levein had a club job? 

6B668381-4FF8-4CB1-8E5E-DE0673E2C9A9.png

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Equally, lets just sack the manager, the mantra of many a shite one :)

You're right.

We should stick with Levein until he's ready to walk away, because football isn't about taking any kind of risks. Playing it safe always pays dividends when trying to be a success in football.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, dougal said:

Plenty of people have been putting forward Naismith's name as player manager. I'm not for that but there surely must be some coaches at EPL clubs who would love a chance to manage a club or even an ex-pro giving his start at management. Hibs did it with Stubbs and Derby are doing it with Lampard. Surely there are more like this who would put their hat in the ring should the opportunity arise.

Yes of course there are, the problem is the board bottled choosing someone last time and probably don’t want to again before the FoH but out next summer.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

The fact we played so well on Saturday makes the league form even harder to take.

The same when we ran Celtic so close at Tynecastle with 10 men. Something is stopping the players from performing on a weekly basis and I'm fairly sure I know what that is.

See that's where I think I probably agree, that fire is not there week in week out.

I accept there will be weeks when we are shite, but the intensity has not been there enough.

Derby is always going to be an oddity, lets face it, we all need to lash out when we lose to them, but it was one game that it was in place, as was Aberdeen the week before (eventually).

The 5 post split are not a concern, game was a bogey by then and we seen why on Saturday. Concentration was getting as many on the pitch as ready as possible.

Pasquale for King

"Let's Just Wait & See"

How anyone needs anymore time to decide after the last two seasons is unbelievable.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Three boxes. Find the manager who ticks the most boxes then.

- No experience of the fishbowl that is Scottish football.

- Has managed a club the size of Hearts before (or bigger, whatever)

- Won a trophy before? Even better, but not essential.

You're assuming I want a manager who's won silverware with a big club when that's not what I said. Steve Clarke did a wonderful job at Kilmarnock without being someone who took England by storm. There are plenty good managers out there who would do very well with a club like Hearts.

Whether you want the club to look for them and try and progress is your business. I do. I want the club to not accept the hideous mediocrity that has been the last 2 seasons of league form.

Makes more sense. 

The problem is tho, the names being mentioned last time and on here throughout the year do not give me the confidence that we'd be better than now. 

In fact, imo we'd have the risk of change without any the foundation of having a manager for past one season brings and still not be guaranteed success. 

Changing managers after every mediocre season is part of the problem, especially if we have progressed v last season. 

If an outstanding candidate that makes your criteria was after the job, I'd be happy. 

If we replace CL with Sergio, Pressley, Hartley, McCann, Johnstone or even Robbo then I don't think it's a step forward and would make people happy. 

I'd love a foreign mamager who has maybe won a cup in Sweden or the likes and who was a player at a decent level with good experience. 

I just don't think it's happening. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

ford donald
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

The cup final was a one off game,we performed well in that,unlucky not to get a result.The problem I have with CL is the performances over the season

are just not good enough for Hearts,we need a perfomance every week and yes we will take defeats,but only in the proper manner,exciting and attacking football.Now is the time for someone else to tak the reins.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

"Let's Just Wait & See"

Or give the manager time, despite a bad/ average season ( that was progress v the previous season) ...... 

That Is a successful mantra of many clubs 

We aren't attractive or rich enough just to sack managers all the time and be Likley to get better, we are not Real Madrid. 

Phil Dunphy
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

See that's where I think I probably agree, that fire is not there week in week out.

I accept there will be weeks when we are shite, but the intensity has not been there enough.

Derby is always going to be an oddity, lets face it, we all need to lash out when we lose to them, but it was one game that it was in place, as was Aberdeen the week before (eventually).

The 5 post split are not a concern, game was a bogey by then and we seen why on Saturday. Concentration was getting as many on the pitch as ready as possible.

Weeks? Try months. Relegation form since Murrayfield.

7 wins since the 1st of November. Dress that up however you want, excuse that however you want, but it's absolutely not good enough. St ****ing Mirren won the same number of league games in that time frame. So did Hamilton Accies. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, ford donald said:

The cup final was a one off game,we performed well in that,unlucky not to get a result.The problem I have with CL is the performances over the season

are just not good enough for Hearts,we need a perfomance every week and yes we will take defeats,but only in the proper manner,exciting and attacking football.Now is the time for someone else to tak the reins.

Again I agree, listed a few in there. However the reality I now believe is he will stay.

If that's the case then I will support him at least to begin with. If it doesn't improve and the football does become a hard watch, then perhaps the Tynecastle faithful need to make that clear.

Problem with Levein being marmite, it is very difficult to get a balanced opinion.

I guess people may assume I am a supporter, I think definitely as the DoF, but not in the managers role any longer. Some weeks yes others no. Split on that one, unrealistic but would love to see a renowned manager come in and Levein be able to prove he can work with that man.

Phil Dunphy
3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Or give the manager time, despite a bad/ average season ( that was progress v the previous season) ...... 

That Is a successful mantra of many clubs 

We aren't attractive or rich enough just to sack managers all the time and be Likley to get better, we are not Real Madrid. 

How much time do you give a manager these days? 

Two seasons? Three seasons? Four seasons?

72 league games in charge, 26 wins. 36% win, 41% loss.

Shooter McGavin

I said before the final that regardless of the result he should walk, my opinion hasn’t changed. 

Tasavallan

I am off JKB for the summer break.  I expect come July that Levein will still be in charge with very few additions to the squad, and what additions there are will be underwhelming.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Weeks? Try months. Relegation form since Murrayfield.

7 wins since the 1st of November. Dress that up however you want, excuse that however you want, but it's absolutely not good enough. St ****ing Mirren won the same number of league games in that time frame. So did Hamilton Accies. 

Relegation form is not contextual, simply for the reason we were never threatened by it. The final 10 matches of the season, excluding the semi final were all against top 6 sides also.

Too simplistic Phil. Anything positive you want to say of the season? That's not being sarky by the way, I'm just curious if there is anything about Levein you like at all

It would be nice to finish a season strongly.

We've taken 5 points from an available 45 points in the split the past three seasons.

Utter drivel.

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Relegation form is not contextual, simply for the reason we were never threatened by it. The final 10 matches of the season, excluding the semi final were all against top 6 sides also.

Too simplistic Phil. Anything positive you want to say of the season? That's not being sarky by the way, I'm just curious if there is anything about Levein you like at all

Don't confuse me for someone who hates Craig Levein, I'm absolutely not in that camp. I appreciate all he's done for the club in the last 35 years or so. He clearly cares for the club in much the same way the rest of us do.

But his shortcomings as Hearts manager are there for all to see. The last two league seasons have been largely dreadful, with this cup run being the shining light in amongst that. He damages his reputation with the supporters the longer he stays. And none of us want that.

Every confidence in CL

4 starters to sign and around 5 to leave from first team squad 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

If there's been improvment season on season, I'd give him another. 

He's only had one full season, we've had a small improvement. 

Anyway, I'll wait and see what happens. 

We seem to be building already so look forward to what happens in the next few weeks. 

If CL stays, he'll get my support. 

If he goes, I hope it's to be replaced with someone with an impressive CV. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Don't confuse me for someone who hates Craig Levein, I'm absolutely not in that camp. I appreciate all he's done for the club in the last 35 years or so. He clearly cares for the club in much the same way the rest of us do.

But his shortcomings as Hearts manager are there for all to see. The last two league seasons have been largely dreadful, with this cup run being the shining light in amongst that. He damages his reputation with the supporters the longer he stays. And none of us want that.

I hear you.

If either happened, he stays or goes, I'm not going to find either unacceptable. But even for the likes of myself, probably more tolerant, time is quickly running out.

I hope for his sakes, the 4 signings are quality additions

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

If there's been improvment season on season, I'd give him another. 

He's only had one full season, we've had a small improvement. 

Anyway, I'll wait and see what happens. 

We seem to be building already so look forward to what happens in the next few weeks. 

If CL stays, he'll get my support. 

If he goes, I hope it's to be replaced with someone with an impressive CV. 

He's overseen 72 league games.

That's 4 less than Steve Clarke at Kilmarnock.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

He's overseen 72 league games.

That's 4 less than Steve Clarke at Kilmarnock.

Steve Clarke done better, I agree. 

Steve Clarke done better than Gerrard, mcinnes, Lennon, Wright maybe even Rodgers. 

Not sure of the relevance. 

Clarke done better so we need to sack CL? 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

And Valdas, what’s he doing these days? 

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Steve Clarke done better, I agree. 

Steve Clarke done better than Gerrard, mcinnes, Lennon, Wright maybe even Rodgers. 

Not sure of the relevance. 

Clarke done better so we need to sack CL? 

No. My point is there are managers out there who can work wonders with clubs the size of Hearts.

My reason for wanting CL removed from his position sits squarely at the fact he's lost more league games as Hearts manager than he's won.

59 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I agree with you however I also seriously doubt that if his application was sent in using the proper channels that Mrs Budge would just ignore him. One day we might know the real story. 

Ive soften to the idea of CL staying. Do I think he has done well enough? In a word, NO. So this is maybe blind faith but I think there is alot to be said for stability.

Pre cup final was watching a lot of hearts stuff including our history. During our best spells it has often been the managers 2nd and 3rd seasons we've achieved relative success.

I'm prepared to see how we kick on next season.

57 minutes ago, dougal said:

Derby finished 6th, not good enough for many on here. Stubbs was a one-off fluke. What has he done since? Currently unemployed. 

52 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

How anyone needs anymore time to decide after the last two seasons is unbelievable.

Poch five years at Spurs, won nothing, bottled lots,  still there

Klopp four years at Liverpool, won nothing yet, still there

sometimes it takes more than a year or two. 

42 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

It’s probably in that 2-4 year range if you want to be realistic about it. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

No. My point is there are managers out there who can work wonders with clubs the size of Hearts.

My reason for wanting CL removed from his position sits squarely at the fact he's lost more league games as Hearts manager than he's won.

Tbf. That point wasn't obvious 

Clarke, before Killie hits none of your criteria you said earlier that you'd look for tho in a replacement. 

He wasn't a manager, never won anything as a manager, He was outside Scotland, as coach tho.

Much like Cathro was. 

So you can see how difficult it is to get a Clarke. 

Every club would want a Clarke. 

For every Clarke there are ten  failures tho, see Cathro. 

Fair enough, so even with a cup win you'd have want him sacked. 

Seems a bit like ground hog day then.

I'd advise getting behind whoever is manager for the new season. 

Also, as your criteria is league form, I'm Suprised you are a Sergio fan. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes of course there are, the problem is the board bottled choosing someone last time and probably don’t want to again before the FoH but out next summer.

They chose dougie freedman.

Look, folk thinking a final Levein season to continue building a spine and bringing youth through, and allowing for a thorough search for the next guy, is less risky than changing everything now is really not a very controversial viewpoint. 

Edited by Guest

• davemclaren locked this topic