Glastonbury 2008

Chris Evans

Chris Evans

Sorry if there is a thread about this already.

Looking forward to seeing what reaction Jay-Z gets. I think its a good line up.

Have enjoyed Black Kids and Editors.

Just been watching courtesy of BBC coverage but seems to be a great atmosphere this year.

Maybe due to the sun shining and no canoes required. Would like to see a bit of MGMT and Seasick Steve but obviously the beeb go for crowd pleasers.

Is the any obscure bands that others think are worth a look?

Kings of Leon were brilliant last night, anyone see them?

Waiting on Jay Z to come on now and put on a show.....

Chris Evans
HAHA Great!!!

Had high hopes for him Bh but hes sinking i think!

Soz. Wrong quote. Cant get a grip of this keyboard malarkey

Carl Spackler

Jay wossisname is everything that is wrong about music presently. Loadypish.

Will not kill Glastonbury but the fall out will be immense.

Chris Evans

Doubt it mate. Music in UK now is a strong as its been since the 60s. Which beg the question,why US hip hop at Glasto?! Go with the flow ,cant please everybody.

Do you think UKmusic is pesh or is Glasto on its last legs anyway.

Carl Spackler
Doubt it mate. Music in UK now is a strong as its been since the 60s. Which beg the question,why US hip hop at Glasto?! Go with the flow ,cant please everybody.

Do you think UKmusic is pesh or is Glasto on its last legs anyway.

I just don't get it buddy. US Hip Hop? Glasto needs to have a word with itself. Notice I mention this and not TITP which really needs to pull it's socks up.

Talk about UK music though I'd say Oasis in the mid nineties was "homegrown" at it's best though. Not right now.

Jay-Z does put on a good show though. Way superior to the Eminem gigs people were creaming themselves over a few years back.

Chris Evans
I just don't get it buddy. US Hip Hop? Glasto needs to have a word with itself. Notice I mention this and not TITP which really needs to pull it's socks up.

Talk about UK music though I'd say Oasis in the mid nineties was "homegrown" at it's best though. Not right now.

Yeah,know what your saying pal,but every so often you hear something that opens your ears that previously you wouldnt give time to.(Not tonight though)! Im disappointed. I live in Yorkshire and lots of good bands still playing here.. Maybe not all local but i give you The Long Blondes,Rascals and Wombats.

Carl Spackler
Jay-Z does put on a good show though. Way superior to the Eminem gigs people were creaming themselves over a few years back.

If you were in a club at the time he was playing it would be good.

It's a rock and a hard place now though. "The Ethiopiques" on BBC4 are absolutely sucking the sweat. Jazz is rank!

What a set and what a performance!

As Zane Lowe has just said and I 100% agree ......

"Point proven and case closed; game over"

Superb set from Jay Z.

One of the best showmen in music today.

Nobody in that crowd can say they are dissapointed.

Carl Spackler

The front row seemed unimpressed! Anyway,It's hard to tell, I'm sure he has his fans.

Massive Attack are on BBC2 now. F'ing brilliant. Was that George Clinton with them?

Buddy Guy is the nuts.

Right up there with BB King, John Lee Hooker (RIP) and Eric Clapton.

Legends.

Your signature is very appropriate :)

There should be a place for hip hop at british festivals, but Jay-Z headlining Glasto is just wrong, he's not even that big music-wise over here!! Snoop Dogg at T a few years ago on the other hand was superb, as he was on in the afternoon and was more of a novelty act than anything else.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Your signature is very appropriate :)

There should be a place for hip hop at british festivals, but Jay-Z headlining Glasto is just wrong, he's not even that big music-wise over here!! Snoop Dogg at T a few years ago on the other hand was superb, as he was on in the afternoon and was more of a novelty act than anything else.

Agreed, I thought Snoop Dogg was brillant at TITP, but both of them shouldn't headline as they are not that popular in the UK.

I find the whole controversy bizarre tbh.

He is far from the first rapper at Glastonbury, the only reason we are aware of it is because Noel Gallagher threw his rattle out of the pram. Glastonbury has always attempted to have diverse acts from diverse backgrounds and bringing over a rapper from Brooklyn continues this. I am far from a huge Jay-Z fan but he put on a great show, having a nice wee joke at those that voiced concerns about his attendance.

I like Oasis and Noel Gallagher, but Jay-Z has taken the moral high ground whilst Gallagher has came across like an erse. I would suggest that he wanted Oasis to headline and was refused.

I can't stand Jay Z or hip hop for that matter but I do think that there is as much a case for him headlining as there is for any other major world act. Glastonbury is the festival of contemporary performing arts so you can't just limit it to indie stuff, although that's what I'd watch the most of.

This is the first time in the last three Glastonbury's that I've not been my my mates have still gone. They told me that after about five minutes people were bored with Jay Z. I think that he got such a big crowd because people had already gone over to the Pyramid stage to watch Amy Winehouse (who was also poor I thought).

I'm sure there are many who would've enjoyed Jay Z's set last night but it's not for me.

He is far from the first rapper at Glastonbury, the only reason we are aware of it is because Noel Gallagher threw his rattle out of the pram. Glastonbury has always attempted to have diverse acts from diverse backgrounds and bringing over a rapper from Brooklyn continues this. I am far from a huge Jay-Z fan but he put on a great show, having a nice wee joke at those that voiced concerns about his attendance.

I like Oasis and Noel Gallagher, but Jay-Z has taken the moral high ground whilst Gallagher has came across like an erse. I would suggest that he wanted Oasis to headline and was refused.

This may not be true as Noel Gallagher said he hates playing festivals in Britain as they never pull it off (anyone who saw Oasis at TITP will agree with this, or at least they should), and i think as a result Oasis just do stadium gigs rather than festivals in the UK now.

I agree with you to an extent though.

Never heard anything by Jay Z until last night.From what i saw N Gallagher was sadly correct.No way he should have headlined.The only time i saw the crowd interact with him was them singing the awful Wonderwall.

Add on Amy Winehouse,that must go down as one of the worst 2 sets ever at Glastonbury.Knew i should have followed Taz and watched Buddy Guy.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I doubt it. They have already played Glastonbury twice (headlining once). They have not released an album since 2005 so have no new tunes to let their fans hear.

I'm sure they will play a festival or two next year, after releasing an new album in October this year.

I doubt it. They have already played Glastonbury twice (headlining once). They have not released an album since 2005 so have no new tunes to let their fans hear.

I'm sure they will play a festival or two next year, after releasing an new album in October this year.

Oasis are great as a standalone gig. They were dreadful in 2004 though and I say that despite them being my favourite band ever. They might play next year but I doubt it'll be at Glasto. Michael Eavis wasn't best pleased by Noel's comments.

Never heard anything by Jay Z until last night.From what i saw N Gallagher was sadly correct.No way he should have headlined.The only time i saw the crowd interact with him was them singing the awful Wonderwall.

Add on Amy Winehouse,that must go down as one of the worst 2 sets ever at Glastonbury.Knew i should have followed Taz and watched Buddy Guy.

Now, be honest benny, you wouldn't like ANY rapper or hip hop artist wouldn't you! :)

Racist :eek:

Hehe!

Of course I was not suggesting that. I remember benny's musical taste and it is not really conducive to modern music never mind rap! I bet he would enjoy the guy on BBC2 right now though! ;)

***EDIT***

meant to say, you do know that not all rappers are black don't you? Who can forget Snow!

As i have said on a previous post as long as the artist puts every effort into their performance and also in a proffesional manner no one should complain regardless of taste etc , just watching Neil Diamond supreme proffesionalism band as tight as a drum, excellent performance not all to my liking but none the less very good.

Hehe!

Of course I was not suggesting that. I remember benny's musical taste and it is not really conducive to modern music never mind rap! I bet he would enjoy the guy on BBC2 right now though! ;)

***EDIT***

meant to say, you do know that not all rappers are black don't you? Who can forget Snow!

CLASSIC!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtILxBszyf8

better than Eminem

Watching Neil Diamond at Glasto at the moment, and he's been so enthusiastic.

His music isn't my taste, and TBH he's a bit dated, but boy is he a showman! Thoroughly professional.

His music isn't my taste, and TBH he's a bit dated, but boy is he a showman! Thoroughly professional.

Agreed.

Neil Diamond is a legend.

Watching him just now too and agree entirely - my old man was a huge fan so I was brought up with him being played in the house and in his car.

12 Songs and Home Before Dark prove there is much more to him than Sweet Caroline peeshed at the end of family 50th birthday party. Some tremendous tracks.

If Amy Winehouse has sobered up from last night, she'd do well to see how someone of her talent should be on stage...

Watching him just now too and agree entirely - my old man was a huge fan so I was brought up with him being played in the house and in his car.

12 Songs and Home Before Dark prove there is much more to him than Sweet Caroline peeshed at the end of family 50th birthday party. Some tremendous tracks.

If Amy Winehouse has sobered up from last night, she'd do well to see how [/B]someone of her talent should be on stage...

Exactly the point i was making on another thread.

Professor.Arturo

If Amy Winehouse has sobered up from last night, she'd do well to see how someone of her talent should be on stage...

She's not fit to share the stage with a legend like Neil Diamond

Now, be honest benny, you wouldn't like ANY rapper or hip hop artist wouldn't you! :)

Always willing to give any kind of music a chance.Daughter plays a lot of 50 cent,Kayne West,Tupac ect.No expert sure,every time a song i like comes up i have to ask her who sings it,but there are quite a few songs i like.Boom Boom Shake The Room being a fave.:):First time i have heard anything by Jay Z and first impressions were not good.Maybe better on disc.

I think the point being made by Noel is not that this type of music is not good but it should never be headlining a festival like Glastonbury.Maybe give it a slot on the Saturday afternoon like Neil Diamond,Shirley Bassey,Johnny Cash and Brian Wilson got on a Sunday.

Gigolo-Aunt

The Zutons on just now, not really a fan but have been inpressed with their set.

The Verve on soonish.

Lilly Allen/Mark Ronson murdering Oh my God I can't believe it at the moment - chancers the pair o them...

The Zutons on just now, not really a fan but have been inpressed with their set.

The Verve on soonish.

I'm just a fan of Abi Harding.

:dribble:

Pete Seeger

I'd forgotten just how good a live band The Verve are. I can feel a couple of weeks of Urban hymns coming on. Sonnet, an outstanding track sang by one of Britains greatest frontmen of my generation. Between this and Neil Diamond it's been a cracking night music wise for me :)

Yeah The Verve are sounding great.

Ashcroft's a bit of a div but he's a good frontman and the music is great. Great band.

Archived