Steve Clarke confirmed as Scotland manager (updated)

BOBTHEBRUCE

rudi must stay
18 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Think Clarke will take dyer with him maybe. Maybe not, I assumed they had worked together before but apparently not.

I think he will bring in a Scotman, maybe Kris Boyd.

That's just guesswork though

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Bazzas right boot

• BOBTHEBRUCE

• Harry Potter

7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Superb achievement to have led Killie to 3rd. That's their highest league finish in 53 years. :wow:

And, assuming it happens, a great appointment for Scotland. Good luck to him, and to the national team. 

I'm a Killie fan, i'm still on cloud 9 after today's/yesterdays game a bit sad Stevie is leaving Kilmarnock but i'm glad he is leaving for the Scotland job ... he said it was the only other job he would come back to Scotland for

Hearts are a great club with a great history with greats like Willie Bauld, but what makes Hearts tick are you the fans the guys  and girls that put your hands into your pockets/wallets/bank accounts to save Hearts ... we did it to a lesser extent compared to you guys, you are the reason Hearts never went to the wall unlike that mob from Govan ... i hope Hearts lift the Scottish cup this saturday  for the best and most loyal fans in Scotland... i hope Naisy is fit and raring to go for the game

Really happy for Kilmarnock, good family club unlike the scumbags they were playing today. Clarke has worked wonders. 

cjambo1993

I was at the Football Writers Player of the Year dinner last night and Steve Clarke all but announced himself as the next Scotland manager.

doctor jambo

Most of my friends are Killie fans, well done to them on an amazing season.

Another win over rangers....

Delighted Clarke will take over Scotland, I just hope the fans will treat him well

6 hours ago, Godric said:

I'm a Killie fan, i'm still on cloud 9 after today's/yesterdays game a bit sad Stevie is leaving Kilmarnock but i'm glad he is leaving for the Scotland job ... he said it was the only other job he would come back to Scotland for

Hearts are a great club with a great history with greats like Willie Bauld, but what makes Hearts tick are you the fans the guys  and girls that put your hands into your pockets/wallets/bank accounts to save Hearts ... we did it to a lesser extent compared to you guys, you are the reason Hearts never went to the wall unlike that mob from Govan ... i hope Hearts lift the Scottish cup this saturday  for the best and most loyal fans in Scotland... i hope Naisy is fit and raring to go for the game

Good man!  Wish your boys the best, would be nice if you could get through the European qualifiers and bring some much needed pride back to Scottish football. Also, great to see Rugby Park filled on three sides with home fans yesterday.  As Clarke said, it's your place, stick it right up the OF when they visit, by backing the team.

GarryJ-o-s
8 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Think Clarke will take dyer with him maybe. Maybe not, I assumed they had worked together before but apparently not.

Think Dyer was Reserve Coach at West Ham when Clarke was Assistant Manager. Seems like a likeable guy and Clarke speaks very highly of him.

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Can't let a litany of inaccuracies go unaddressed.

Aberdeen have found their ceiling and, frankly, have been making hay whilst the sun shines to a degree, having spent bugger all on their stadium and reaped the reward on the pitch, building a side and continuity whilst ourselves, The Rangers and the scum were in the championship. Will they do well with the disruption and expense of an out-of-town stadium construction program? I wager it will have a huge, detrimental effect.

Hibs got a new manager bounce but they do not play stylish football. They play hit and chase and, results notwithstanding, we outplayed them in a footballing sense in the last two derbies. There are stats attesting to the fact Hibs hit it long, far more than we do. 

Kilmarnock have impressed, fair play to them. But as with most clubs outwith the old firm, they'll find it hard to replace players going for fees and very difficult to replace Clarke.

We have a completed stadium, a revamped youth academy which is beginning to reveal it's gems: Cochrane, McDonald, Irvine, Smith for starters. Off-field we have increased turnover year on year, well in excess of Hibs turnover (which attests to the abuse of their season ticket concessions to drive the concept of them being well supported - take that away and they will see crowds back at their natural level). And we have the fantastic FOH backing.

So no, whilst two back to back 6th place finishes are well below our aspirations, that does not mean that the infrastructure, finances and organisation of the club are inferior to any of the clubs above. I wish people could see the wood for the trees when they criticize the club. If we were winning the league by spending outwith our means and with the place held together with gaffa tape, you'd never hear a peep about these aspects. 

Good post. 

Fans do go from result to result tho, so I can understand the frustration, 6th place isn't good enough. 

We have a far better foundation than most clubs going on to next season, but we must deliver on the pitch. 

I just wish that all the manager out talk was kept until after the cup final, we've had a CL out thread since he was appointed, if we win the cup it just makes a mockery of everyone who has championed that for that length time. 

We'd have a new stand, great foundation and a cup...

Every clubs dream, even including rangers at this time! 

Jambof3tornado
18 minutes ago, GarryJ-o-s said:

Think Dyer was Reserve Coach at West Ham when Clarke was Assistant Manager. Seems like a likeable guy and Clarke speaks very highly of him.

Wasnt sure that they came as a package. Looking online Dyer was starting a job then jumped at the chance to work with Clarke at killie. I'm just glad they haven't given the no1 job to gemmill but it wouldn't shock me to see him as Clarkes no2 whether he wanted him or not.

15 hours ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Wee diddy club? Not so much, I'm just trying to point out that we're a far bigger club than they are with bigger resources.

We should not be finishing 6th in the league 2 years on the bounce. 

But everything is hunky dorey to a few of you.

Some how it's me that's the dafty though. 

Every thread you come on and have a dig at our club. No way on earth are you a Hearts supporter; just a sad wee troll. Pathetic

3 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Good post. 

Fans do go from result to result tho, so I can understand the frustration, 6th place isn't good enough. 

We have a far better foundation than most clubs going on to next season, but we must deliver on the pitch. 

I just wish that all the manager out talk was kept until after the cup final, we've had a CL out thread since he was appointed, if we win the cup it just makes a mockery of everyone who has championed that for that length time. 

We'd have a new stand, great foundation and a cup...

Every clubs dream, even including rangers at this time! 

I just like to maintain a logical separation between different aspects of the club, rather than get so pissed off at some of our performances I would want to figuratively burn the whole place down in irritation.

I absolutely accept the disappointment with back-to-back 6th place finishes and I'm even more annoyed that we've lost a bit of our Tynie Fortress mentality at home.

That said, we've stoically endured worse seasons with less furore and with a more measured response.  

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I just like to maintain a logical separation between different aspects of the club, rather than get so pissed off at some of our performances I would want to figuratively burn the whole place down in irritation.

I absolutely accept the disappointment with back-to-back 6th place finishes and I'm even more annoyed that we've lost a bit of our Tynie Fortress mentality at home.

That said, we've stoically endured worse seasons with less furore and with a more measured response.  

Since we've been promoted, some fans patience and rationale seems to have gone out the window. 

It's quite an eye opener. 

22 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Since we've been promoted, some fans patience and rationale seems to have gone out the window. 

Since we’ve been promoted. Naaaa go back through the years on here its always been as mental

jock _turd
9 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

To be fair the problem as I see it from afar is there is a shed load of dosh being pumped into the club by supporters and although it has helped pay for the stand it would be foolish not to recognize that has freed other monies to be spent on the playing staff. Some fans are now saying that bang for buck CL is not doing a good job with that money... I really think it would be difficult to argue that he is really. I don't go down the road that reaching a cup semi final and a cup final are anything that should give him pass marks because while you can only beat what team is drawn against you we have had a glide in both competitions. If we do beat Celtic and win the cup that will in my opinion be a great win... but it won't mend the absolute turgid football that has been endured over the last six months or so. I defy any Hearts supporter to honestly say if they were watching the team at the other end of the town going through what we have over the last 26 games they would not be laughing at their plight... even with the cup final to come because, as we know, they would fail to turn up yet again.

If caring about the quality of what is being dished up week i week out for six months is an eye opener welcome to the real world... people spending their hard earned expect some sort of return... mind you that cup win would certainly help things along, although if the same drivel continues into next season expect the same eye opener. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

To be fair the problem as I see it from afar is there is a shed load of dosh being pumped into the club by supporters and although it has helped pay for the stand it would be foolish not to recognize that has freed other monies to be spent on the playing staff. Some fans are now saying that bang for buck CL is not doing a good job with that money... I really think it would be difficult to argue that he is really. I don't go down the road that reaching a cup semi final and a cup final are anything that should give him pass marks because while you can only beat what team is drawn against you we have had a glide in both competitions. If we do beat Celtic and win the cup that will in my opinion be a great win... but it won't mend the absolute turgid football that has been endured over the last six months or so. I defy any Hearts supporter to honestly say if they were watching the team at the other end of the town going through what we have over the last 26 games they would not be laughing at their plight... even with the cup final to come because, as we know, they would fail to turn up yet again.

If caring about the quality of what is being dished up week i week out for six months is an eye opener welcome to the real world... people spending their hard earned expect some sort of return... mind you that cup win would certainly help things along, although if the same drivel continues into next season expect the same eye opener. 

There has been a return tho. 

When we started out we had about 4 senior players and in the championship. I did say since promotion. 

Also, folk wanting Robbie gone, what was the excuse then... Can't have been poor league performance? 

.. And the CL thread is a year long.

My point was that since promotion something has been off, not only the last 26 games or this season. 

And back to gizmos post about the wood from the trees, we've done alot of ground work and had spend a lot of money elsewhere. 

We should know this, other fans not so much. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Bazzas right boot
53 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Makes sense. 

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, sadj said:

Since we’ve been promoted. Naaaa go back through the years on here its always been as mental

Aye, maybe. 

jock _turd

While I agree the work to the ground was required and has used up revenues there has been no shortage of money spent of the playing staff at Hearts when we look at other clubs in the SPL outwith the uglies. The thing is the money being spent has not delivered anything by way of the standard of football on display.  Some of the fans not unexpectedly think a fresh approach to the way we play our football may not be a bad idea. I watched some o the game yesterday and for the first time in many a game I say a great one two played in the opposition area... what a F'n rush, honestly if we were even just getting a bit more of that it would make defeats slightly more bearable... and who know maybe the odd win.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

While I agree the work to the ground was required and has used up revenues there has been no shortage of money spent of the playing staff at Hearts when we look at other clubs in the SPL outwith the uglies. The thing is the money being spent has not delivered anything by way of the standard of football on display.  Some of the fans not unexpectedly think a fresh approach to the way we play our football may not be a bad idea. I watched some o the game yesterday and for the first time in many a game I say a great one two played in the opposition area... what a F'n rush, honestly if we were even just getting a bit more of that it would make defeats slightly more bearable... and who know maybe the odd win.

We've Had loads of 1,2's....it's the 3,4, and 5's that are causing the trouble . ?

SwindonJambo

Excellent appointment. No OF pandering and his own man. I have high hopes. Tough on Killie and their fans though.

August Landmesser

Suddenly feeling enthusiastic about the Scotland team again, haven't felt like that since before Strachan's reign.

Finally a good appointment by the blazers

Skivingatwork

Happy with this, don’t think I could have taken another washed up OF sycophantic appointment.

Cruyff Turn

Delighted he’s got the job. The SFA have made a good decision for once. 

An appointment everyone can get behind And hopefully restore some pride.

Great news.

letsalldothebeattie

Brilliant appointment. Nice to see the SFA going with the outstanding and popular candidate. Can already feel excited about the national team again 

Good appointment, really hope he does well ( obvs danger of that is a English club may then come a calling)  we have to get behind the team and give the manager time , and I'm sure he will get it right.

Great appointment. At last the SFA are seeing sense.

He will add a new confidence to the decent squad of players we have and get them organised so that they all, know what their roles are in the team rather than the shambles that was created by Mcleish.

I am sure that the players will want to play for him and hopefully the rash of call offs will reduce dramatically.

Happy with this appointment. Clarke is the right candidate for the job IMO and I'd expect a weakened Kilmarnock next year. Not that i'd want to rely on them getting weaker for us to finish above them, but should help

18 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

The Scotland job will be his undoing and quite possibly wreck his career.

he has certainly done a sterling job at Killie. 

Being a miserable c#^t that I am, 

I agree with you. 

We needed a manager who had already had success at international level, someone that the old firm players/old firm loving media would respect. 

Obviously wish him all the best but don't think he will improve us enough to make a real difference... (make finals)

The last time we appointed someone with a strong domestic record in Scotland, without having won a trophy, allied with having been sacked as a Head Coach by a middle of the road English team was probably Craig Levein.

I'm more optimistic that Clarke will do better, but I wouldn't expect any trees to be pulled up.

6 minutes ago, jumpship said:

I agree with you. 

We needed a manager who had already had success at international level, someone that the old firm players/old firm loving media would respect. 

Obviously wish him all the best but don't think he will improve us enough to make a real difference... (make finals)

Since Clarke had a long successful spell as a coach at Chelsea if the Old Firm players and media don’t respect him they obviously know very little. Anyhow, I don’t think lack of respect is going to be an issue.

Bull's-eye

I think the SFA have shown a bit of bollocks on this appointment. 

Clarke has been a thorn in the side of Bigots and if word on the street is correct he turned one of them down to be manager.

I'm a little shocked they've gone against type tbh.

Be very interesting to see the 1st squad. Very interesting indeed.

8 minutes ago, jumpship said:

I agree with you. 

I wouldn't want to judge him negatively just because he has not had success at international level.  In his previous jobs he has done well to start with before a decline and the sack but the national job is totally different in that you don't see the players every working day.  He is undoubtedly a good coach and early success will have players wanting to play for him.  Early losses and the top players will suddenly have quick healing injuries and call off.  His real problem is simply that he has no control over who can call on for any game.

I wish him well but being realistic he does not a great wealth of skill to work with.

Mr Elwood P
12 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

I think the SFA have shown a bit of bollocks on this appointment. 

Clarke has been a thorn in the side of Bigots and if word on the street is correct he turned one of them down to be manager.

I'm a little shocked they've gone against type tbh.

Be very interesting to see the 1st squad. Very interesting indeed.

Have they gone against type? The linked to the Old Firm cliche doesn’t stand up to the facts. Craig Brown, Craig Levein and now Steve Clark have had no Old Firm affiliation. Different type of appointment but Berti Vogts  was also unconnected. Be interesting to see how the treatment of Clarke differs to that of Levein. 

Thrilled, maybe this is a turning point for Scotland

A manager who isn't an ex Old Firm jakey is something I didn't think I'd see anytime soon

alwaysthereinspirit

If like others he caters to the OF and media by picking all the young "world class" OF talent I'll be out just as quick as with Strachan and McLeish.

If like others he caters to the OF and media by picking recently acquired Scottish young talent I'll be out just as quick as with Strachan and McLeish. 

Nothing irks me more than a good player for a non OF team never getting a look in until they wear the grey and green hoops or $#itty blue top.

Magnificent appointment and one I'm surprised (but delighted) about. Clarke is not an old firm/SFA apologist. 

The Real Maroonblood
15 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I think he will bring in a Scotman, maybe Kris Boyd.

That's just guesswork though

Boyd will be the pie tester.

Got a really good feeling about this.  Great appointment.  Someone who won't be bullied by call offs.    

132goals1958
51 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Magnificent appointment and one I'm surprised (but delighted) about. Clarke is not an old firm/SFA apologist. 

Yep. I can now stop being indifferent to watching the national team.

Heres Rixxy
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Great appointment. At last the SFA are seeing sense.

He will add a new confidence to the decent squad of players we have and get them organised so that they all, know what their roles are in the team rather than the shambles that was created by Mcleish.

I am sure that the players will want to play for him and hopefully the rash of call offs will reduce dramatically.

Having a manager that can coherently communicate tactics should certainly be an improvement. 

Wonder whether any recent retirees would also reconsider? 

Edited by Heres Rixxy

14 minutes ago, Heres Rixxy said:

Having a manager that can coherently communicate tactics should certainly be an improvement. 

Wonder whether any recent retirees would also reconsider? 

Quite possible and there may be one or two younger players who were never considered by Mcleish that could come to the fore.

Hopefully he doesn't do the usual and pick players depending on what club they play for and goes for guys that are in form. Also a good chance to get rid of older players and go with a young squad.

jock _turd

The obvious choice really and I hope he does well with the scant talent at his disposal. I really mean scant talent as at an international level we are rank in terms of quality player production. With the exception of a couple of players Scotland no longer produces the players it used to... SFA to thank for that. I really hope though that he can do what he did at Killie and bring a group of very average players together and mold them into a team of players who will work with each other for each other. Good luck to him!