Steve Clarke confirmed as Scotland manager (updated)

BOBTHEBRUCE

The Gorgie

Taking the Scotland job is going to undo this good reputation he's built up, its a job that will only ever end in failure and no Scotland manager has been able to recover from. Walter Smith being the only one to walk away and still manage to stay respected. Mcleish, Burnley, Levein, Strachen all shadows of the men they were before the job.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Bazzas right boot

• BOBTHEBRUCE

• Harry Potter

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Whenever you think to yourselves. "Thurs no much a manager kin dae aw he does is pick eh'z best 11." Remember Steve Clarke.

The manager is the most vital part of a club. More important than any player. If we want to really push the boundaries of what's possible we need our own Steve Clarke. Someone who won't lie down and isn't intimidated by the old firm.

Harry Potter
53 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Well done Killie and Steve Clarke ?

Moaning face auld man ha ha, would not let him near ma cat if i had wan, clown

6 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Taking the Scotland job is going to undo this good reputation he's built up, its a job that will only ever end in failure and no Scotland manager has been able to recover from. Walter Smith being the only one to walk away and still manage to stay respected. Mcleish, Burnley, Levein, Strachen all shadows of the men they were before the job.

They were all shadows of the men they once were by the time they took the Scotland job tbf. I think it's great he's got the job and I wish him well.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Whenever you think to yourselves. "Thurs no much a manager kin dae aw he does is pick eh'z best 11." Remember Steve Clarke.

The manager is the most vital part of a club. More important than any player. If we want to really push the boundaries of what's possible we need our own Steve Clarke. Someone who won't lie down and isn't intimidated by the old firm.

Spot on. I'm desperate for the club to wake up and realise this. Another season of Levein is just depressing.

38 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

List the clubs envious of us? Hibs? More season ticket holders than us, finished above us in the league 2 years running, new exciting coach getting them playing stylish attacking football? Killie? In Europe, playing stylish football on a shoe string budget punching way above their weight with crowds growing every week? Aberdeen? New stadium on the horizon, stable manager who has a clear style and plan, good strong squad with a potential European place? Name these envious clubs? 

Can't let a litany of inaccuracies go unaddressed.

Aberdeen have found their ceiling and, frankly, have been making hay whilst the sun shines to a degree, having spent bugger all on their stadium and reaped the reward on the pitch, building a side and continuity whilst ourselves, The Rangers and the scum were in the championship. Will they do well with the disruption and expense of an out-of-town stadium construction program? I wager it will have a huge, detrimental effect.

Hibs got a new manager bounce but they do not play stylish football. They play hit and chase and, results notwithstanding, we outplayed them in a footballing sense in the last two derbies. There are stats attesting to the fact Hibs hit it long, far more than we do. 

Kilmarnock have impressed, fair play to them. But as with most clubs outwith the old firm, they'll find it hard to replace players going for fees and very difficult to replace Clarke.

We have a completed stadium, a revamped youth academy which is beginning to reveal it's gems: Cochrane, McDonald, Irvine, Smith for starters. Off-field we have increased turnover year on year, well in excess of Hibs turnover (which attests to the abuse of their season ticket concessions to drive the concept of them being well supported - take that away and they will see crowds back at their natural level). And we have the fantastic FOH backing.

So no, whilst two back to back 6th place finishes are well below our aspirations, that does not mean that the infrastructure, finances and organisation of the club are inferior to any of the clubs above. I wish people could see the wood for the trees when they criticize the club. If we were winning the league by spending outwith our means and with the place held together with gaffa tape, you'd never hear a peep about these aspects. 

Edited by Gizmo
missed a word

William H. Bonney

His rousing speech in which he tells the Kilmarnock fans to maintain their fantastic support and keep the old firm fans away will sadly fall on deaf ears when they likely revert to type next season. 

Yes they have some great players but you’d imagine their success is largely down to Clarke. 

21 minutes ago, Barack said:

And another...

20190519_184840.jpg

Yeah I take back Aberdeen as an example ?. Almost as miserable a forum as ours haha. 

Harry Potter
5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Huge job for killie to replace him 

who cares hope they rot, ha ha bunch o moaning faced clowns

28 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Wonder who killie will go for next??

Has Naismith signed for us yet?  :whistling: 

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

What a job he's done with Kilmarnock and it only took him 2 years. 

No 5 year plan needed. 

I think we can all say that he's the right man for the Scotland job. 

Exciting times. 

Image result for yawn gif

Wow. Haven't heard any of this shit before. All news to me. 

Jambof3tornado

Just seen the interview with Alex Dyer about the scotland no2 job.....someones calling me, and walks away.

Tommy Brown
38 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Moaning face auld man ha ha, would not let him near ma cat if i had wan, clown

24 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

who cares hope they rot, ha ha bunch o moaning faced clowns

Doug in the past, spent a bit money chatting up a kilmarnock girl before she buggered off without a goodbye

type posts :whistling:

Harry Potter
12 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Doug in the past, spent a bit money chatting up a kilmarnock girl before she buggered off without a goodbye

type posts :whistling:

ha ha

Harry Potter
9 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Never put it on Shawn, im a hearts fan, im hearts, i love hearts, get it shawn

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Never put it on Shawn, im a hearts fan, im hearts, i love hearts, get it shawn

Wind-up Doug. Back to work.

Harry Potter
14 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Wind-up Doug. Back to work.

lol, we just lost to a shit celtic mate, anyway how are u.

shaun.lawson
6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

lol, we just lost to a shit celtic mate, anyway how are u.

Fine thanks. :) Today was a dead rubber between two youth teams. It's all about next week, as you know.

How's you?

Smoked-Glass
1 hour ago, TheStig said:

If we qualify his stock will rise. 

We have a home play off look forward to as well.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, 1874Gorgie1874 said:

Either time when we were without a manager. 

And you know he would accept an offer from us? Or are you using an unprovable hypothetical as fact?

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

And you know he would accept an offer from us? Or are you using an unprovable hypothetical as fact?

The guy's literally said that he wouldn't leave Killie for another Scottish club. When the rangers asked if he'd be interested he said no. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3914474/kilmarnock-steve-clarke-rangers-steven-gerrard

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Can't let a litany of inaccuracies go unaddressed.

Aberdeen have found their ceiling and, frankly, have been making hay whilst the sun shines to a degree, having spent bugger all on their stadium and reaped the reward on the pitch, building a side and continuity whilst ourselves, The Rangers and the scum were in the championship. Will they do well with the disruption and expense of an out-of-town stadium construction program? I wager it will have a huge, detrimental effect.

Hibs got a new manager bounce but they do not play stylish football. They play hit and chase and, results notwithstanding, we outplayed them in a footballing sense in the last two derbies. There are stats attesting to the fact Hibs hit it long, far more than we do. 

Kilmarnock have impressed, fair play to them. But as with most clubs outwith the old firm, they'll find it hard to replace players going for fees and very difficult to replace Clarke.

We have a completed stadium, a revamped youth academy which is beginning to reveal it's gems: Cochrane, McDonald, Irvine, Smith for starters. Off-field we have increased turnover year on year, well in excess of Hibs turnover (which attests to the abuse of their season ticket concessions to drive the concept of them being well supported - take that away and they will see crowds back at their natural level). And we have the fantastic FOH backing.

So no, whilst two back to back 6th place finishes are well below our aspirations, that does not mean that the infrastructure, finances and organisation of the club are inferior to any of the clubs above. I wish people could see the wood for the trees when they criticize the club. If we were winning the league by spending outwith our means and with the place held together with gaffa tape, you'd never hear a peep about these aspects. 

Hibs have 1 win in the last 7games (2-1 v us) Aberdeen do not have a stable manager , be interesting to see if he is still there in August ??‍♂️

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The guy's literally said that he wouldn't leave Killie for another Scottish club. When the rangers asked if he'd be interested he said no. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3914474/kilmarnock-steve-clarke-rangers-steven-gerrard

Exactly. I heard that his family are down in England so limited him up here (a reason why Scotland job appeals as it allows him to move back down south.) Kilmarnock as his home town club was the only one that he would move for up here.

The Scotland job will be his undoing and quite possibly wreck his career.

he has certainly done a sterling job at Killie. 

Johnny Sandiego
2 hours ago, busby1985 said:

List the clubs envious of us? Hibs? More season ticket holders than us, finished above us in the league 2 years running, new exciting coach getting them playing stylish attacking football? Killie? In Europe, playing stylish football on a shoe string budget punching way above their weight with crowds growing every week? Aberdeen? New stadium on the horizon, stable manager who has a clear style and plan, good strong squad with a potential European place? Name these envious clubs? 

Could be one of the most inaccuarate posts i've read on here recently and thats saying something. Hibs don't play any football whatsoever, certainly not stylish and attacking. 

Folk are now just inventing things to use against their own club. Mental.

i wish jj was my dad
5 minutes ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

Could be one of the most inaccuarate posts i've read on here recently and thats saying something. Hibs don't play any football whatsoever, certainly not stylish and attacking. 

Folk are now just inventing things to use against their own club. Mental.

This is not a new concept.

kingantti1874
58 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I actually think we’ve got pretty decent players, certainly better than results suggest.. think he could do very well

kirkierobroy

Impressive speech - he and Levein are great for the Scotish game in that they're prepared to stick it to the Old Firm if necessary.

I think he's a great choice for the Scotland job. Our players aren't brilliant but they are better than recent results suggest. Clarke should get the best out of them, but:

1) Clarke speaks his mind and isn't above slagging off the SFA, Sevco and Celtic. And they're the people who run Scottish football. Will he last?

2) If he really does lift Scotland, he'll get the English job he probably deserved to be offered on the basis of his Killie work. And then it'll be back to the SFA Basil Fawltys in blazers to carry out another breathtaking bit of manager recruitment...

4 hours ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

What a job he's done with Kilmarnock and it only took him 2 years. 

No 5 year plan needed. 

I think we can all say that he's the right man for the Scotland job. 

Exciting times. 

Outstanding job 

Seymour M Hersh

Now I've no idea what Clarkes next move will be but he is recently quoted as saying he has unfinished business in England. Could it be he has something lined up down there and hence the speech post game (which was s beaut btw)?

22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I actually think we’ve got pretty decent players, certainly better than results suggest.. think he could do very well

Totally agree there is some good players he will be a great choice 

1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

Staying at Killie would be his undoing.. he's not going to take them any better than this season, right time and right challenge for him I would say.  If he has half the impact at Scotland that he has at Killie he will have done a great job.

1874Gorgie1874
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I don’t know he would accept an offer but the fact he wasn’t included in that 5 man shortlist for the job is a joke 

The White Cockade

He took Killie from the bottom of the league to third place 

Was able to take a good few points off the Old Firm

All done with minimal resources 

Shows what a difference a decent manager can make

5 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

He wasn't starting from scratch un the championship to be fair 

Neither was our last 2 managers

40 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Now I've no idea what Clarkes next move will be but he is recently quoted as saying he has unfinished business in England. Could it be he has something lined up down there and hence the speech post game (which was s beaut btw)?

He'll be announced as the new Scotland manager shortly.

rudi must stay
4 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Wonder who killie will go for next??

Could be his assistant Alex Dyer, I remember him being a totally out of the box appointment for them and that he shared Clarke's ideas on the game

http://youtu.be/-PTcEZM0iZA

I think a glimpse into the man and his charisma and motivational qualities there. Can't wait to see him for the national team to be honest. I think he is the best choice around right now

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Hibs have 1 win in the last 7games (2-1 v us) 

Don't remind us! ?

rudi must stay
36 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

He took Killie from the bottom of the league to third place 

Was able to take a good few points off the Old Firm

All done with minimal resources 

Shows what a difference a decent manager can make

Spot on. Except I think your underselling him, Clarke is a great manager 

2 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

I don't think it will at all, he'll come in and shake things up, and make it a team were you have to earn your place. He could absolutely brilliant

shaun.lawson
40 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Brighton job perhaps?

Already gone to Graham Potter. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
3 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Hopefully he has a torrid time in the Scotland job and Hearts can offer him a way back.

I can dream.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Could be his assistant Alex Dyer, I remember him being a totally out of the box appointment for them and that he shared Clarke's ideas on the game

http://youtu.be/-PTcEZM0iZA

I think a glimpse into the man and his charisma and motivational qualities there. Can't wait to see him for the national team to be honest. I think he is the best choice around right now

Think Clarke will take dyer with him maybe. Maybe not, I assumed they had worked together before but apparently not.

Edited by Jambof3tornado