Finally no more Motson (Non HMFC)

The xx

John Motson is to finally give up commentating, something he should have considerd about five years ago. Never have I heard a commentator get so many players names wrong.

I'm no fan of Archie but at least he doesn't guess the players names, he just says the ones he knows, which is usually all the players from the old frim and one player on the opposing team. (We still need to get rid of him as well though)

So enjoy shouting at the tv, correcting Motson's errors and getting pi$$ed off at the amount of England refenrences for the last time tomorrow night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7478872.stm

Was anyone else aware thet Kazim-Richards was born in england? Seriously. Honestly. I wasnt aware until Motty pointed it out in every single minute of every game Turkey played in. Twice in the minutes that Richards touched the ball.

Thank christ he's gone.

Commander Harris

and his folks ran a pub! "can't get much more English than that". ;)

Did anyone notice (its in the highlights on the BBC website) when the ball was crossed into Semih in the box and Motson said "Kazim-Richards now", then the ball was half cleared to Kazim-Richards on the right wing.

Instead of noticing and/or admitting his mistake, he just said "Kazim-Richards again!" You can hear the amazement in his voice.

Geoff Kilpatrick

When I was a kid, I used to think Motson was superb. This was in the days of highlights with the odd live game, such as the FA Cup Final or the World Cup.

As live TV became more and more prevalent, Motson was desperate to stand out from the rest of the commentating crowd. Therefore, he tried to drop in the world's most unimportant trivia into every commentary as much as possible. It made him irritating.

Commander Harris
Did anyone notice (its in the highlights on the BBC website) when the ball was crossed into Semih in the box and Motson said "Kazim-Richards now", then the ball was half cleared to Kazim-Richards on the right wing.

Instead of noticing and/or admitting his mistake, he just said "Kazim-Richards again!" You can hear the amazement in his voice.

yup, spotted that one. He was everywhere that boy!

Now we just have to hope ITV's senile old git, David Bleat, follows suit.

"Shades of Terry Sheddingham"

classic :laugh:

Ray Winstone

He does not want to be about at the 2010 world cup when he is 65!

Horror of all horrors that a man who sits on his erse and speaks for a living should have to work until he is 65!

That aside - glad to see the back of the old bag.

Now we just have to hope ITV's senile old git, David Bleat, follows suit.

"Shades of Terry Sheddingham"

classic :laugh:

I think that Pleat has a strange sounding voice, but is a good analyst of what is actually happening in the game. He doesn't just repeat what the commentator has said but does a bit of analysis.

Delighted that Motson is giving up - hopefully Alan Green will retire soon too.

Gigolo-Aunt
I think that Pleat has a strange sounding voice, but is a good analyst of what is actually happening in the game. He doesn't just repeat what the commentator has said but does a bit of analysis.

Delighted that Motson is giving up - hopefully Alan Green will retire soon too.

David Pleat is the best co man in the football TV world. Its a shame that he is not involved within the game anymore- a real waste.

Can recall reading an interview with him recently, it stated that he was told to dum down his analysis as the average football fan knows feck all about the game and he was confusing them (Pleat burst in to laugher when telling this story)

Top man.

Most of us will have all the Hearts dvd`s that have been out so stick on the 22 in a row dvd(i think it`ll be on that) and listen to how bad Andy Gray was when he started out.:eek:

It`s just as BskyB was kicking off it`s coverage of scottish football and he was covering the 4-1 win over the Hobos at a rain lashed Fester Road in the early 90`s.

The game where Big Mac scores wi his erse!

Compare it to how he is now.

mattyw_1874
Most of us will have all the Hearts dvd`s that have been out so stick on the 22 in a row dvd(i think it`ll be on that) and listen to how bad Andy Gray was when he started out.:eek:

It`s just as BskyB was kicking off it`s coverage of scottish football and he was covering the 4-1 win over the Hobos at a rain lashed Fester Road in the early 90`s.

The game where Big Mac scores wi his erse!

Compare it to how he is now.

What a critical basterd that can accept good play but must critisise everything anybody dose.

I have hated John "1966" Motson for years and am delighted to hear he is going. The game the other night when 5 live commentary kicked in exposed just how depressing him and that tube lawrenson actually are - they can turn a half decent game into a nightmare simply because it isn't engerland.

On a seperate note, I was at a dinner a couple of weeks ago with David Pleat. I hadn't thought much of his speech as he really seemed to be *****ting himself (only 35 people there!) and he didn't do well. However, he sat and had a chat with the group after it and it was absolutely fascinating!

Archived