Women's FA Cup Final - Sexism

Stephane Grappelli

Stephane Grappelli

Just caught the end of the BBC's coverage there and it looked like female presenter Gabby Logan was joined by an all female panel of guests including the ubiquitous Alex Scott.  When covering the men's game now, the likes of Sky or the Beeb always have at least one woman in the studio so when will the women's game catch up? Maybe if they start to scrap their blatant sexism and move into the 21st Century then more folk will take them seriously.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Stephane Grappelli

• Shaggy2

• Nookie Bear

Jamhammer

Thought West Ham were decent first half but the keeper totally sold the pies 2nd half and they tired really badly. City deserved it.

Stephen Muddie

City did deserve it. The 3rd goal was brilliant. They'd probably hammer Hearts men

And I don't care how few men presenters cover their game. End of day they probably can't pay them enough to appear anyway. Look at what Lineker is on for starters 

Edited by Stephen Muddie

Thommo414
50 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Just caught the end of the BBC's coverage there and it looked like female presenter Gabby Logan was joined by an all female panel of guests including the ubiquitous Alex Scott.  When covering the men's game now, the likes of Sky or the Beeb always have at least one woman in the studio so when will the women's game catch up? Maybe if they start to scrap their blatant sexism and move into the 21st Century then more folk will take them seriously.

Dont worry, sure the BBC will be lining up Malky McKay and Andy Gray pronto after hearing your insightful feedback 

Stephane Grappelli
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

zgshKHX.gif

Tongue firmly in cheek in my OP but surprise, surprise, it went right over your head.

Sooperstar

Very poor standard and the expected horrific goalkeeping errors. The women's game has a very long way to go.

Edited by Sooperstar

Silvery_Moon

Quite clearly tongue in cheek from the OP.

Some decent play on show from City but that was very poor goalkeeping from the West Ham goalie.

Stephane Grappelli
2 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Quite clearly tongue in cheek from the OP.

Some decent play on show from City but that was very poor goalkeeping from the West Ham goalie.

Cheers mate.  I should maybe put a disclaimer saying that I'm only joking, just for the benefit of the slower members on here, but that takes away all the humour.

Lovecraft

Started watching it earlier and was wondering how bad the goalies still are.

They are still really bad.

They need to either make the goals smaller, or have an under 18 male goalkeeper rule, as the women are really pish.

Maybe have a trans goalie rule?

Spellczech

Honestly they either have to give women smaller goals or just do away with goalkeepers entirely. Every time I see women's football I see an hilarious bit of goalkeeping...

Салатные палочки

Woman are generally shite at catching stuff. If it was a DVD of Magic Mike and a bottle of prosecco thrown at them I bet they would catch it. 

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Honestly they either have to give women smaller goals or just do away with goalkeepers entirely. Every time I see women's football I see an hilarious bit of goalkeeping...

I'm a bit lost on this too. The goalkeeping blunders i've seen in the womens game really devalues it. Most keepers are what.. 5ft 5? Can they not drop to 9 a side sized goals to better suit the height difference? 

I'm genuinely not trying to be derogatory, I think in womens tennis they play less sets for some reason so having slight variations in the sport based on gender isn't anything out of the norm.

It should have been ten
5 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

:isee:

Tbf Gabby Logan could pass as the man in their panel, 

Women's fitbaw/sports :rofl: The goalies should stick to wearing oven gloves and marigolds. 

Housekeeping, not goalkeeping.

Edited by ri Alban

Rupert Custard
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Women's fitbaw/sports :rofl: The goalies should stick to wearing oven gloves and marigolds. 

Housekeeping, not goalkeeping.

One of the West Ham players was wearing gloves. Not household ones  - was it that cold in London in May? As cosseted as their male counterparts, at least we never saw a snood!

David McCaig
10 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

City did deserve it. The 3rd goal was brilliant. They'd probably hammer Hearts men

And I don't care how few men presenters cover their game. End of day they probably can't pay them enough to appear anyway. Look at what Lineker is on for starters 

Women's football is on a par with boys U16s, which isn't a criticism just a reflection of facts.

Interesting to note that in the transgender sport debate, they cited the fact that Florence Griffiths Joyner's wind assisted and drug enhanced 100m world record wouldn't have won her a place in the UK Boys (U16) 100m final this year.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Womens football is horrific. 

Disagree.

Seen a lot of good football yesterday. All the players on the park were comfortable on the ball.

Goalkeeping is definitely a problem.

Calebs Grandad

If people just accepted that they are watching a standard of football well below what’s normally televised and take it at face value then all would be fine. The problem is the broadcasters building these games up too a level that they simply are not. Equality is fine as it’s live and let live but unfortunately it also brings ridicule at times. 

Forever Hearts
13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Disagree.

Seen a lot of good football yesterday. All the players on the park were comfortable on the ball.

Goalkeeping is definitely a problem.

Fair enough. I find it awful. 

14 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Spookily enough, my Dad and I were talking about this exact subject last night. I reckon (as per the 100m post) that if you put a female world XI on a park against Hearts, I’d be disappointed if we scored less than 25 goals in 90 minutes. 

Levein would probably settle for 24, knowing him!

Tommy Brown
28 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Spookily enough, my Dad and I were talking about this exact subject last night. I reckon (as per the 100m post) that if you put a female world XI on a park against Hearts, I’d be disappointed if we scored less than 25 goals in 90 minutes. 

Levein would probably settle for 24, knowing him!

I don't get the relevance of these comments.

Women don't play against men, so why relate them.

Watch a game like yesterday's without prejudice and you may start to see two of the best teams in England fight out a cup final.

city were heavy favourite's, but United put a really good first half challenge and could have been ahead at HT. Scottish girl will know herself, a better connection on her header would have been in. But it was still a great save.

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Watch a game like yesterday's without prejudice and you may start to see two of the best teams in England fight out a cup final.

city were heavy favourite's, but United put a really good first half challenge and could have been ahead at HT. Scottish girl will know herself, a better connection on her header would have been in. But it was still a great save.

I've got no problem with women playing (or trying to play) football. It's just the coverage it gets is way over the top and the standard is absolutely woeful. Hearts shouldn't be putting a penny into womens football while our first team are a laughing stock. 

Edited by Forever Hearts

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

I've got no problem with women playing (or trying to play) football. It's just the coverage it gets is way over the top and the standard is absolutely woeful. Hearts shouldn't be putting a penny into womens football while our first team are a laughing stock. 

Understand your point of view again. But disagree.

The woman's game is a growing market and as one is Scotland's top clubs, we are correct in being involved.

I have have no idea about the budgets involved, but I doubt it is harming the top team.

Aim your discontent at the woeful recruitment, not at ladies football.

Fozzyonthefence
15 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

They would get cuffed by an under 16 boys team (as the top women’s international teams do) so I doubt that.

Your 2nd point is valid though.

50 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Why not relate them? Women are arguing for better money based on the figures the men’s game generates. Wouldn’t be surprised if some women down south are earning more than some Hearts players and I find that ridiculous. 

If women want to earn the same money as men from their chosen sport, let them compete with men. Otherwise let them find their level and take what sponsors are willing to pay instead of trying to shame everyone into shelling out to avoid being branded sexist.

Nookie Bear
52 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Women in football are quick to relate to men when it comes to a perceived lack of coverage and salaries but are very defensive when comparisons in quality are used. 

The game needs to grow at a sensible pace but there seems to be an assumption that it has to be professional but that’s unsustainable on crowds average 1000-ish. It’s easy for the EPL clubs to compete, but a real problem for everyone else. 

5 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Women's football is on a par with boys U16s, which isn't a criticism just a reflection of facts.

Interesting to note that in the transgender sport debate, they cited the fact that Florence Griffiths Joyner's wind assisted and drug enhanced 100m world record wouldn't have won her a place in the UK Boys (U16) 100m final this year.

This one fails the smell test, given that I've seen elite male seniors run slower than her 10.49.

I couldn't find a UK-wide 100m final for u-16s in my brief online research, but her time would have won last year's England u17 final which also included at least one athlete from Wales. https://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=224198

Edited by Thaw

13 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Why not relate them? Women are arguing for better money based on the figures the men’s game generates. Wouldn’t be surprised if some women down south are earning more than some Hearts players and I find that ridiculous. 

If women want to earn the same money as men from their chosen sport, let them compete with men. Otherwise let them find their level and take what sponsors are willing to pay instead of trying to shame everyone into shelling out to avoid being branded sexist.

Their wages are nowhere near it. Average annual wage for a WSL player is £27,000. Almost every player earns less than £35,000. The average wage at Livi is £34,000. Hearts are £111, 000. Although it's rumoured that a Man City player is on £65, 000 per week! I find that hard to believe but then also not that hard to believe when it's Man City. 

Edited by Normthebarman

Lovecraft
16 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Their wages are nowhere near it. Average annual wage for a WSL player is £27,000. Almost every player earns less than £35,000. The average wage at Livi is £34,000. Hearts are £111, 000. Although it's rumoured that a Man City player is on £65, 000 per week! I find that hard to believe but then also not that hard to believe when it's Man City. 

Average at Man City is probably closer to 100K a week.

https://sillyseason.com/salary/manchester-city-players-salaries-69071/

De Bruyne, Aguero and Sterling on 230K a week each.

10 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

In my defence I said SOME women would be earning more than SOME Hearts players and your statement backs that up. 

The fact that they’re getting an average of £27K and wouldn’t beat a single Junior team, or even Highland League whipping boys Fort William, the women are doing not too badly from football. I’m definitely encouraging my wee 6 year old granddaughter to kick a ball around. Her half brother plays for Hibs, so here’s hoping it runs in the family, albeit it’s not our side!!!

qferryjam
14 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

For an investment of infrastructure coaching and a very small financial input we have a woman’s team sittin top of the league, the whole point of an investment is to get over the top coverage . So your saying every time our first team has a dip in form all other expenditure should stop and we throw cash at the problem , that’s pretty much how we ended up in admin.

I’m off to Tynie on Sunday to watch the women’s first game there and I’m taking my daughter who’s very excited, who knows how successful this might become 

J.T.F.Robertson
19 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Womens football is horrific. 

That it is! Let them enjoy their game, but ffs don't be foisting it on the rest of us, it's chronic. (Hearts are bad enough)

chuck berrys hairline

Are trans players allowed yet? If not should be scrapped for not being devisive enough. Shame on you Ann! We thought you'd want to be a first. 

Forever Hearts
4 hours ago, qferryjam said:

For an investment of infrastructure coaching and a very small financial input we have a woman’s team sittin top of the league, the whole point of an investment is to get over the top coverage . So your saying every time our first team has a dip in form all other expenditure should stop and we throw cash at the problem , that’s pretty much how we ended up in admin.

I’m off to Tynie on Sunday to watch the women’s first game there and I’m taking my daughter who’s very excited, who knows how successful this might become 

Ok, I'll put it another way. Let them be self sustainable and live off the attendances, sponsorship etc that they get. That way every penny I give to HMFC goes towards the male teams. 

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Ok, I'll put it another way. Let them be self sustainable and live off the attendances, sponsorship etc that they get. That way every penny I give to HMFC goes towards the male teams. 

This is where I’m at, all clubs in all sport should be self sustaining. If, at international level, the American women do indeed generate more income than their male counterparts then give them the money they’re asking for. 

I’m totally behind all genders earnings reflecting their abilities in all walks of life but it must be earned. In the sporting world, I’m all for ladies getting the same money in tennis because they generate the sponsorship revenue to pay for it and they play to packed audiences, in the majors at least.

Women’s “soccer” in the US and tennis apart, there’s no other sport I can think of that can be said about. 

qferryjam
2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

The whole point is it was a self sustaining model , they had their own sponsorship paid for their own strips their own training facilities. What Hearts have done is invest to bring them under the hearts banner , a really shrewd move if you look at the demographic of our support , like the young boys , girls will pay to come to hearts coaching sessions will buy merchandise will have role models at the club , women’s football Is growing so quickly it would be madness not to be involved ,if Hearts are promoted there’s a chance for Europe and better players , as I’ve said already I will be there on Sunday to cheer them on like I do with the u18s and reserve teams , are you really saying that as a community club there’s no room for the women’s game in 2019 , there isn’t a lack of finance in our first team just results if only some of those very well paid players had the same enthusiasm and determination to succeed as the unpaid women did maybe we wouldn’t be sitting in 6th place in the league .

part_time_jambo
On 04/05/2019 at 19:45, Stephane Grappelli said:

It's Women's football, not real football. Who cares?

King Joffrey

I can honestly say that if Hearts Ladies won the league or got relegated I wouldn't blink either way. The only thing they've done so far I've cared about is divert £200k from the main team. 

Because I'm sexist? No. I just don't support them or have any feelings either way. If I live to be 100, NEVER will any Hearts fan I know ask the question, see the Ladies score the other night? And I include the female Hearts fans I know in that statement.

As for media pc it's ridiculous now. Last transfer window deadline Sky had 2 guests. I forget the guy but he'd been involved in about 5 high profile transfers. They then had a female and didn't know what to ask her. Never been a manager or agent or involved in a major transfer. She just kept saying she agreed. That said, I do quite like the Chelsea ladies manager when she's on cos she's a total geezer and like listening to Ray Winstone. 

The Australian national female team were ranked 7th in the world and got beat by a ragtag boys under 15 team two years ago. The standard is a total nonsense in comparison on any level. How they can then take any female from that and sit her next to Graeme Souness? I'm OK female fans in a fan interview as they are fans too but as a pundit? No. 

Personal opinion but only female sport I've seen worth a watch is MMA where sometimes the fights are better than the male ones tbf and really impressive. Credit where it's due. 

1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

This is where I’m at, all clubs in all sport should be self sustaining. If, at international level, the American women do indeed generate more income than their male counterparts then give them the money they’re asking for. 

I’m totally behind all genders earnings reflecting their abilities in all walks of life but it must be earned. In the sporting world, I’m all for ladies getting the same money in tennis because they generate the sponsorship revenue to pay for it and they play to packed audiences, in the majors at least.

Women’s “soccer” in the US and tennis apart, there’s no other sport I can think of that can be said about. 

They don't play 5 sets, until then less money.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Some people seem to take too much of an interest in the women's game and are getting bent out of shape about it. If you have no interest in it then don't watch it! That's what I do.