Bolton

Sooperstar

Their match tomorrow against Brentford has been postponed. Bolton players have gone on strike over not being paid and they can't field a team.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• XXX

• Cruyff Turn

14 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

I assume they wander away.

Took me 5 minutes to work out why that was clever!

Wonder what the sanction will be and what remedy might be available.

I hate seeing this happen to almost any club.

Just now, Kiwidoug said:

Took me 5 minutes to work out why that was clever!

Wonder what the sanction will be and what remedy might be available.

I hate seeing this happen to almost any club.

They can hopefully play the game at a later date if the takeover gets approved by the EFL.They are already relegated but will probably get a points reduction next season for not being able to complete a fixture?

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, been here before said:

I assumed theyd run fast.

You mean bolt? 

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, Bunny Munro said:

I assume they wander away.

Very good. :thumb:

Serious question. English football is awash with money. How difficult is it for the EFL to just pay the players' wages for a month or two?

More fundamentally: this all stretches back to Phil Gartside's awful mismanagement of the club. The debt they racked up was unbelievable. Gartside was at the forefront of demands for Premier League 2: which thankfully didn't happen. The whole thing was designed to save his and his club's skin.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Didn’t expect to read this tonight. Before I toddled off to work, Jim White reported on SSN at 18:00 that the new owner had promised that all wages would be paid by the players deadline of midnight. 

Be interesting to see how the authorities deal with this as I’m assuming any football punishment won’t really affect the guilty parties, rather the new owners and the fans. My mischievous side has zero sympathy though. They were like a mini Celtic over the years with McGinlay, Coyle, Walker and Lennon and probably more. 

This Laurence Bassini character reminds me of Angelo Massone.    Not much liked in Watford parts.

Toxteth O'Grady
3 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

This Laurence Bassini character reminds me of Angelo Massone.    Not much liked in Watford parts.

He's the usual dodgy vulture that always seems to circle a dying club. The last person they need.

It isn't looking good for them

14 minutes ago, been here before said:

Being told this morning they must fulfill their fixtures.

They could get kicked out of league completely. 

Calebs Grandad

Gordon Taylor got £2,000,000 a year plus perks and also had his massive gambling debts paid off by the FA. Premiership clubs paying £350,000 a week to some players. EFL receiving £595,000,000 from Sky for tv coverage. English Premiership receiving £4,500,000,000 for 3 seasons of tv coverage by Sky and BT. Then you have sponsorship in its many guises so my question would be where the **** is the money going when a second tier side cannot pay wages? 

kirkierobroy
1 hour ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Gordon Taylor got £2,000,000 a year plus perks and also had his massive gambling debts paid off by the FA. Premiership clubs paying £350,000 a week to some players. EFL receiving £595,000,000 from Sky for tv coverage. English Premiership receiving £4,500,000,000 for 3 seasons of tv coverage by Sky and BT. Then you have sponsorship in its many guises so my question would be where the **** is the money going when a second tier side cannot pay wages? 

Yep. Sort of thing that usually only emerges post-admin or post-liquidation.

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Calebs Grandad said:

On the button. There really is no excuse. Part of me is glad to see some of the worst culprits go tits up. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

To think they once had, Jay Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff and Nicolás Anelka in their side. 

Fernando Hierro!

Cruyff Turn
9 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Fernando Hierro!

Aye, forgot about him too. 

Well, at least they’ll have those memories.

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Aye, forgot about him too. 

Well, at least they’ll have those memories.

Zat knight a shameful omission from that list. 

Cruyff Turn
29 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Zat knight a shameful omission from that list. 

Indeed, forgot about big Zap.

Feel for their fans and all that, but, pretty much sums up English football. We've had our own financial difficulties and I hope they sort things out. Not a nice place to be, for the fans, players and staff. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

To think they once had, Jay Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff and Nicolás Anelka in their side. 

And Neil Berry

TorinoJambo
6 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They had these players when they had several years Premier League cash. Like everybody else. Their problem was (I have a close mate who's a Wanderers fan) that they had a Jack Walker type owner who unfortunately died suddenly and the family wanted out. Loads of stupid wages and contracts were in place and it spiralled from there. Various charlatans have come and gone as owners. According to my mate this new one has John McGinley (a massive hero down there) as an associate. Hopefully they can get it sorted.

Cruyff Turn
3 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

They had these players when they had several years Premier League cash. Like everybody else. Their problem was (I have a close mate who's a Wanderers fan) that they had a Jack Walker type owner who unfortunately died suddenly and the family wanted out. Loads of stupid wages and contracts were in place and it spiralled from there. Various charlatans have come and gone as owners. According to my mate this new one has John McGinley (a massive hero down there) as an associate. Hopefully they can get it sorted.

Yep, bit like Leeds in that respect, chasing the dream without anything to fall back on. 

John McGinley was a cracking player, no doubt he’ll have their best interests at heart and they come out the other side in a better place. 

Mikey1874

They are fortunate neither of their remaining games affects promotion or relegation. 

It is just possible they won't be kicked out of the league. 

But still of course could go under. Could be good to caution the mass of over spending especially in the Championship. 

shaun.lawson

Been a heck of a long time since a Football League club disappeared into oblivion. Aldershot and Maidstone were the last two. 

But I'm not sure an English club with Bolton's history has ever died. It might well happen now. 

BOLTON WANDERERS are in debt to the tune of a staggering £41.6million - and on the brink of administration.
Owner Ken Anderson wants to take the admin option after London-based businessman Laurence Bassini ran into snags trying to complete the deal.
However former owner Eddie Davies’s family are now poised to step in first to press the button and attempt to reclaim their losses.
The total debts are bigger than expected. Bassini found that out after doing further due diligence and rival bidders also discovered the same.
Bassini did not turn up for a meeting with the EFL to seek approval for his takeover and Wanderers ended talks with him as a result.
A statement read: “Given the urgency of the situation, which has been expressed to Mr Bassini, we now consider his approach for the club at an end and no further discussions entered into on the matter with him.”
However Bolton are still seeking a solution to their problems. The huge total includes three major creditors with past links with the club. The Davies family are due a stunning £23m.
Davies gave Anderson a loan of £5m plus interest to pay off financial company BluMarble just before he died. This sum is secured and has to be repaid.
But Davies also left some debt in the club from his time in charge and gave Anderson financial help during his reign. The extras are worth around £18m.
Local businessman Mike James is also due around £6.5 million, a loan secured against the club hotel. He is a former ally of late chairman Phil Gartside.
Former director Brett Warburton is also due £2.5m, secured against land at the training ground.

N Lincs Jambo

Went to see Bolton at Burnden Park (in a pre-season friendly against the sheep shaggers funnily enough) plus a few league games at Burnden and the Reebok when I lived nearby.

Bolton are a proper club with real fans who could easily go to either of the Manc or Scouse clubs but choose to support their local team. I’d feel for them if they go under irrespective of the various shenanigans at board level.

Section Q
On 27/04/2019 at 00:35, Maroon Sailor said:

Or trot away

Maybe they just Bolted.....!!? 

rudi must stay
On 27/04/2019 at 14:23, Cruyff Turn said:

Yes it's sad

Bolton, Charlton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Blackpool got it badly wrong chasing trophies and bringing in overrated foreigners (although obviously wouldn't include Okacha in that) Hierro was 36 when Bolton signed him and Blackburn brought in Michel Salgado who was late 30's too. If you look at clubs like Bournemouth, that's how to do it. A young English core

Edited by rudi must stay

Somehow doubt if they die that any Bolton newco will get the same favours as the basket of deedco assets aka Sevco Scotland.

It should have been ten

:bolt:          

ON   :whistling:

Allowayjambo1874

Bolton have been incredibly unlucky in that the man propping them up sadly died and they had no one else stepping in. Most of these large championship clubs chasing promotion are in the same boat. Derby’s owner bought the stadium for £80m to bail them out of problems, notts forest, Birmingham and Aston Villa to name just 3 have all been in the brown stuff and people forget the year before Leicester got promoted I’m sure the owner did debt for equity for some ridiculous amount (£100m?). 

The foundations of these clubs are built on sand which is why Uefa brought in financial fare play to stop this very thing happening but instead of clubs (and fans) welcoming it and thus protecting their very existence the English clubs objected and circumvent the process at every opportunity.  Like everyone else I feel sorry for a club that ends up in this state, god knows we as a fan base can recognise the issue but the English FA (or league) should be all over these clubs and not turning a blind eye to it. 

Its ironic how an impoverished Scottish league’s member clubs at this moment in time with (by comparison) tiny turnovers can be in a much healthier financial state than many English clubs! 

The Treasurer
On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:39, TorinoJambo said:

And yet we still have people moaning about Mrs Budge, just because she is trying to get rid of a few arseholes that attached themselves to our club

On 27/04/2019 at 11:05, Mikey1874 said:

They could get kicked out of league completely. 

Might give Notts County a reprieve if they finish 23rd in League 2.

Tasavallan
3 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

And yet we still have people moaning about Mrs Budge, just because she is trying to get rid of a few arseholes that attached themselves to our club

"Arseholes" is the word.  Keyboard jockeys continually moaning about their rights on shitty little issues like standing, flags, flares, seating, etc.   Mrs Budge is a safe pair of hands - we should be grateful we have her.  

Brookes Mileson at Gretna and George Reynolds at Darlington spring to mind when I read about Laurence Bassini.   

I had personal dealings with Reynolds when I was based in Darlington.   Amiable enough chap for a Makem, but a fantasist who should never have been let near a football club.  Reynolds had criminal convictions for petty theft and fraud before making his money in fitted kitchens.  He thought he could do the impossible if he built the club a 25,000 all-seater "Reynolds Arena" on the outskirts of the town when the average attendance at town centre Feethams was around 4000.  He let his ego run riot and just frittered away his fortune on extravagant ideas like attempting to bring Gazza to the club.  After further prison time for money laundering he now runs an e-cigarette shop in Co. Durham.      

After Reynolds left, the club went through a procession of owners and 3 periods of administration until folding (Sevcoesque) in 2012. The 'new' Darlington FC (1883 version) plays in the National League North and share the 3000 capacity Blackwell Meadows with Darlington RFC, while the town's bigger pro rugby club, Mowden Park, bought the Arena.       

The FA need to do stricter audits of potential buyers of football clubs and not based purely on their wealth.

Mikey1874
On 26/04/2019 at 22:42, Sooperstar said:

Their match tomorrow against Brentford has been postponed. Bolton players have gone on strike over not being paid and they can't field a team.

Brentford awarded the win 1-0. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Start League One next season minus 12 points.

You'd have thought they should have done this earlier. Take the twelve points this season, going down anyway. Gave them a better chance next season. As it stands go be looking at league two, oblivion or following notts county out the football league