AirBNB

southcap

IronJambo
10 minutes ago, MWHearts said:

That’s now changed I believe. Airbnb have updated their app to show total prices including cleaning and service fee per night.

We booked one just a couple of weeks ago and the cleaning cost wasn't shown before we were on the booking page. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckyBatistuta

• IronJambo

• hughesie27

• southcap

IronJambo
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Must be expensive cleaning, cheapest one there is £27…£32 cheaper than the cheapest premier inn. I also found ones within seconds that were £19.

Haha fair enough. I'll be honest, I've never seen the end of the market that you're showing me with those prices. They're surely just rooms in flats at those costs? I wouldn't entertain anything other than a whole flat/house. A hotel room would be much cheaper than the next place I'm going to.

AlphonseCapone

3% of Edinburgh properties are Airbnb. 20% in the old town and Leith areas. 

Ironically a presentation I was at the other day the guy was talking about Airbnb and it's impact on the housing market. The talk was meant to be on communicating stats. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

luckyBatistuta
27 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Haha fair enough. I'll be honest, I've never seen the end of the market that you're showing me with those prices. They're surely just rooms in flats at those costs? I wouldn't entertain anything other than a whole flat/house. A hotel room would be much cheaper than the next place I'm going to.

Neither have I bud, just googled them and they were the first that came up for both. I’d reckon at those prices, they will be just rooms, but that’s all you’re getting in a premier inn.

IronJambo
7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Neither have I bud, just googled them and they were the first that came up for both. I’d reckon at those prices, they will be just rooms, but that’s all you’re getting in a premier inn.

En-suite bathroom in a premier Inn though

luckyBatistuta
25 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

En-suite bathroom in a premier Inn though

Aw c’mon. I found cheaper ones, you’re not challenging me to find one cheaper with an en-suite now, surely.

IronJambo
8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Aw c’mon. I found cheaper ones, you’re not challenging me to find one cheaper with an en-suite now, surely.

Hahaha sorry mate I wasn't trying to be a dick. You could probably be a boss air BnB agent in your spare time though.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Hahaha sorry mate I wasn't trying to be a dick. You could probably be a boss air BnB agent in your spare time though.

I know you weren’t bud :thumb: There is no way I’m getting involved in any of that after seeing the problems my mother and father have had over the years renting properties. Some people can be total a-holes. There was that Airbnb story in the paper recently, where a couple in Corstorphine/Carricknowe? decided to give it a try for the first time in their own house. They rented it out whilst they were away for the weekend and they completely destroyed their house.

IronJambo
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I know you weren’t bud :thumb: There is no way I’m getting involved in any of that after seeing the problems my mother and father have had over the years renting properties. Some people can be total a-holes. There was that Airbnb story in the paper recently, where a couple in Corstorphine/Carricknowe? decided to give it a try for the first time in their own house. They rented it out whilst they were away for the weekend and they completely destroyed their house.

That's just plain wrong. If I had a decent sized house and double detached garage that I could convert the roof into studio accommodation then I'd be all over it. I don't think I'd be using air BnB though, I'd be more likely to make the accommodation very high spec and try to use a couple of the countries top restaurants for a choice customer base.

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

That's just plain wrong. If I had a decent sized house and double detached garage that I could convert the roof into studio accommodation then I'd be all over it. I don't think I'd be using air BnB though, I'd be more likely to make the accommodation very high spec and try to use a couple of the countries top restaurants for a choice customer base.

I’ve got spare rooms, but there is no way I’d have strangers living in my house. My parents used a good company, but still had huge problems. One was a top doctor and his family, they completely flooded the lower level. Another where the family just stopped paying and refused to leave. It was a nightmare trying to get them out. Out of the blue one night, they just disappeared, along with all my parents belongings, took the lot

:vangry:

On 26/04/2019 at 16:01, AndyNic said:

Love AirBNB. 

Very hit or miss even if you do you research.

I stayed in Queensland for 10 days in March, half in a resort apartment ( No room service ) on the gold coast.

Half in an AirBnb for the first time ever, in Brisbane, roughly around the same price per night - booked 5 months in advance.

Our first five days.Stunning, quiet and clean.

Similar price and a hell of a better view.

https://www.hotels.com/ho237369/?pa=1&q-check-out=2019-08-31&tab=description&q-room-0-adults=2&YGF=14&q-check-in=2019-08-18&MGT=7&WOE=6&WOD=7&ZSX=0&SYE=3&q-room-0-children=0

Second five days,

Our Brisbane accommodation, had a sticky kitchen due to the lack of extractor fan in the Kitchen and very tacky decoration thru-out.

I had issues with getting communication from the owner and the cleaner arrived, opened the door and walked straight in while we were on site - she had no idea that we were even there.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/plus/22720415?guests=1&adults=1&source_impression_id=p3_1556881367_CvrrrjTIv%2FROHzUO

The Airbnb guy seems to get a decent review to him leaving the cheapest bottle of wine and some Lindt chocolate in the fridge.

Doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Needless to say I will not be booking with Airbnb again.

Edited by Neon

So you can be struck off the landlord register as you’re a slum landlord but you can still rent out via airbnb style holiday rentals and make a small fortune (yes that was a pun on his name). I think there’s a place for airbnb but there needs to be some kind of regulation. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/scandal-of-edinburgh-tenants-trapped-in-airbnb-style-slum-deals-1-4919971

Diadora Van Basten
On 03/05/2019 at 18:25, Helzibob said:

So you can be struck off the landlord register as you’re a slum landlord but you can still rent out via airbnb style holiday rentals and make a small fortune (yes that was a pun on his name). I think there’s a place for airbnb but there needs to be some kind of regulation. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/scandal-of-edinburgh-tenants-trapped-in-airbnb-style-slum-deals-1-4919971

They have been talking for some time about regulating Airbnb but nothing ever happens.

More likely that Shelter will think of some more regulation of long term let’s and it will be introduced before any regulation of Airbnb.

On 06/05/2019 at 15:56, Diadora Van Basten said:

They have been talking for some time about regulating Airbnb but nothing ever happens.

More likely that Shelter will think of some more regulation of long term let’s and it will be introduced before any regulation of Airbnb.

There is some action

This is  a Scottish Government consultation asking for views with some suggested proposals 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/short-term-lets-consultation-regulatory-framework-scotland/

Mr Brightside

As others have said, a lot of people would prefer not to stay in a hotel if they are travelling with a young family or a group of friends.  This is a choice based on more than cost.

Air bnb are filling this gap, more short term serviced apartments would be a potential solution but you don’t see many being developed. Until something replaces/ regulates air bnb then many of the problems raised in this thread will continue.

• 1 year later...

I'd hope that the current Covid-19 pandemic really gets the AirBnB culture sorted for good.  I understand there were good intentions initially for the startup but it's had such a negative impact on communities, cities, crime, security, etc 

I thought this image summed it up:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/keyboxgate-photo-shows-edinburghs-disappearing-18272943

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, SecN said:

I'd hope that the current Covid-19 pandemic really gets the AirBnB culture sorted for good.  I understand there were good intentions initially for the startup but it's had such a negative impact on communities, cities, crime, security, etc 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/keyboxgate-photo-shows-edinburghs-disappearing-18272943

Good post.

Good result unfortunately under tragic circumstances.

magic roundabout
2 hours ago, SecN said:

I've got to agree the principle behind it was good. However, the issues happened when folk bought houses specifically for renting out via airbnb (or similar sites). It's no doubt increased property prices in Edinburgh.

I know some people who life's have made been made miserable living next to them. 

I do appreciate the majority of people staying in airbnb are well behaved.... Unfortunately, there is a minority that aren't. 

An air BnB saved a friends wife a few weeks ago. She struggled to even get in a hotel with her kids because nobody wanted her near since she'd just been evacuated from a country in Africa. He was one of 4 left behind. She had a few days somewhere and is now semi permanent in an air BnB for the time being. He's since been evacuated so they're all there now with no other option really as their houses are rented out.

Edited by IronJambo

On 18/05/2020 at 22:31, SecN said:

I like air bnb. Ive used them a lot. But i do understand the issues.

Theres surely a middle ground. Im not sure on ideas for requirements but maybe the owner has to be on premises so rooms, granny flats, caravans, farm stays etc would be fair.

Or have had it as main residence x-amount of time before it can be rented.

On 18/05/2020 at 22:31, SecN said:

I like air bnb. Ive used them a lot. But i do understand the issues.

Theres surely a middle ground. Im not sure on ideas for requirements but maybe the owner has to be on premises so rooms, granny flats, caravans, farm stays etc would be fair.

Or have had it as main residence x-amount of time before it can be rented.

On 25/04/2019 at 14:32, shaun.lawson said:

Airbnb = tax dodging, market wrecking scum

Uber = tax dodging, employment wrecking scum

Amazon = tax dodging, disgusting scum

Airbnb = reduces the cost to the consumer

Uber = reduces the cost to the consumer

Amazon = doesn't declare a profit to invest in the future to keep on reducing the cost to the consumer. 

Really bad of them, let's go back to cartel hotels, cartel taxi cos and cartel retailers 'cos we loved it back in the good old days. Loved it we did. 

• 1 year later...

I’d like to hope this has positive impact but the absentee landlords that operate as short term visitor accommodation across the city will no doubt find a loophole. 

Any property that has not had a complaint / investigation within the last 10 years is likely allowed to continue so it’s wise to ensure any problem sites have been reported. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-58179252