AirBNB

southcap

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47910700

Time this vile situation is put to bed.

Hopefully a 100% ban on airbnb in Edinburgh, anyone found breaking the law faces capital punishment(jokes).

Anyway, has airbnb affected you or people you know? If not, how would you feel if your neighbours flat ended up being 100% airbnb occupiued with different people staying there on an almost nightly basis?

What if your neighbour in your stair decided open their flat as an unlicensed bar? An unlicensed bookies? Starting punting drugs? Same thing really.

Maybe you live in a nice bungalow  in a quiet culdesac in the suburbs so this doesn't affect you? What if your next door neighbour turned his bungalow into an unlicensed metal fabrication workshop?

Answers on a postcard.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckyBatistuta

• IronJambo

• hughesie27

• southcap

luckyBatistuta

Been moaning about this for a while with friends. I drop a lot of these folk at Airbnb’s regularly now. I always make a point of asking them if it’s an Airbnb they are staying in, as it was always hotels or b&b’s I dropped folk with luggage, but this has changed massively. With a combination of all these properties being bought up (a lot by folk that don’t even live here too) just for Airbnb and to students, it is having a detrimental impact on the city imo. Residential areas like Marchmont etc, have completely changed. The property prices have rocketed for 1,2,3 bedroom flats in the city because of this and pushed them out of the price range for a lot of young people trying to buy their first home. This is also the cause of why a lot of people are now being forced to buy cheaper homes outside the city boundary, as they have no choice. This in turn is having an impact on businesses in the city centre at night, as there are less people going in to the centre for a night out, choosing instead to sit at home drinking, which also brings problems with it. 

"Airbnb said its activities had boosted the Scottish economy by £1.5m a day, and the UK economy as a whole by £3.5bn last year."

Surely if any of the things quoted happen then the landlord/owner is dealt with the same way as if a resident had done it.

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Been moaning about this for a while with friends. I drop a lot of these folk at Airbnb’s regularly now. I always make a point of asking them if it’s an Airbnb they are staying in, as it was always hotels or b&b’s I dropped folk with luggage, but this has changed massively. With a combination of all these properties being bought up (a lot by folk that don’t even live here too) just for Airbnb and to students, it is having a detrimental impact on the city imo. Residential areas like Marchmont etc, have completely changed. The property prices have rocketed for 1,2,3 bedroom flats in the city because of this and pushed them out of the price range for a lot of young people trying to buy their first home. This is also the cause of why a lot of people are now being forced to buy cheaper homes outside the city boundary, as they have no choice. This in turn is having an impact on businesses in the city centre at night, as there are less people going in to the centre for a night out, choosing instead to sit at home drinking, which also brings problems with it. 

Are people staying in an Airbnb property not more likely to go out in the city centre for a night out than residents?

luckyBatistuta

They will bud, but they aren’t always booked out. It’s the amount of flats with students in, that are making the city centre quieter at night. The Airbnb’s are definitely contributing to pushing the house prices out of reach of the young people trying to buy their first home, feel really sorry for them. This also impacts again on the centre, as if they can manage to stretch to the crazy prices to get on the ladder, they then can’t afford nights out.

Used AirBNB a lot when in Australia. Was brilliant and much cheaper than expensive Hotels/Hostels. Also got to meet a lot of open minded people who were able to advise on things to do in the area.

AirBNB actually have an area in their customer support that deals with Neighbours who have complaints of AirBNB in their local area for noisy visitors etc.

Ultimately, people can allow anyone the opportunity to stay in their private property as they please. 

14 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

The prohibitive cost of a taxi home is a pretty compelling reason to stay in too...

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

The prohibitive cost of a taxi home is a pretty compelling reason to stay in too...

Not really, there is also a very good and reasonably cheap public transport service in place for them if they don’t want the luxury of a taxi at their door.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

shaun.lawson

Airbnb = tax dodging, market wrecking scum

Uber = tax dodging, employment wrecking scum

Amazon = tax dodging, disgusting scum

AlphonseCapone

I use Airbnb pretty regularly abroad. It's significantly better than hotels, cheaper and you can really experience the real part of a city, not just the tourist parts 

That said, I'm still quite a few years away from buying my own place and it's going to cost me an absolute bomb when I do and Airbnb is a big part of that.

It's a good idea but like most things, it needs more regulation. 

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Have to admit I use the 3rd ???

The flat upstairs from me is airbnb. Good area, very expensive lets and the "tenants" tend to be rich. However, mail goes missing when delivered through wrong door (missed hospital appointments etc), CC's have gone missing and been used, my bank account is currently frozen because someone has sent a bank letter back return to sender. There is a managing agent for the block who does nothing about it, the managing agent for the airbnb is I think a reputable estate agent but they won't identify their responsibilities or even that they have any.

The police have been involved but claim to be unable to trace the perpetrators, even on the fraud etc. and the council say their hands are tied ( they are allowed 90 days a year using this system but who monitors that). I've made numerous complaints to the royal mail as well as threatening various young posh twats who stay there.  If you use these lets then you're part of the problem in my opinion. 

It's a scourge and needs to be tightly regulated.

There are blocks of flats in Edinburgh that only have 20% occupancy as the rest are all Air BnB party flats.

Strangers all over the place, noise, mess, drunkenness, general disruption, and absolutely no way of properly registering a complaint.

It's essentially an unregulated hostel system and needs to be clamped down hard.

AlphonseCapone
20 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I use Airbnb pretty regularly abroad. It's significantly better than hotels, cheaper and you can really experience the real part of a city, not just the tourist parts 

That said, I'm still quite a few years away from buying my own place and it's going to cost me an absolute bomb when I do and Airbnb is a big part of that.

It's a good idea but like most things, it needs more regulation. 

Just to add to this that though Airbnb is very much part of the problem, it shouldn't be an easy cop for Governments and Councils who've done **** all to help the housing crisis that's been developing before Airbnb was even started. 

The ridiculous price of houses completely out of keeping with salaries and people being allowed to own multiple properties are all part of the problem. 

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's a scourge and needs to be tightly regulated.

There are blocks of flats in Edinburgh that only have 20% occupancy as the rest are all Air BnB party flats.

Strangers all over the place, noise, mess, drunkenness, general disruption, and absolutely no way of properly registering a complaint.

It's essentially an unregulated hostel system and needs to be clamped down hard.

There is a block of flats around Broughton that I’ve dropped at a few times, that the entire block has been bought up and is now all Airbnb. I don’t have any of these problems, that some like Cade are having, as I own a house, not a flat. It’s ridiculous that he and others have to put up with this after buying their own home. My parents had to move out of their flat in Morningside, that they had lived in for many years, as they just couldn’t put up with the resulting problems of this.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Ultimately, people can allow anyone the opportunity to stay in their private property as they please. 

It stops becoming a private property once you lease out rooms for money

Just like a taxi isn't a private vehicle.

A pub(public house) isn't a private house.

etc etc

Edited by southcap

luckyBatistuta

5 minutes ago, southcap said:

It stops becoming a private property once you lease out rooms for money

Just like a taxi isn't a private vehicle.

A pub(public house) isn't a private house.

etc etc

Exactly, so you wouldn’t have a problem with folk continually renting out the property next door, or in your block hughesie?

Love Airbnb. Stayed in some much nicer properties in good locations when traveling. 

Properties soley for Airbnb should not be permitted though 

22 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Exactly, so you wouldn’t have a problem with folk continually renting out the property next door, or in your block hughesie?

I don't have a block. If I did I wouldn't mind so long as the guest were respectful. If they weren't I'd go and speak to them, then mention to the property owner and then follow that up using AirBnB complaints procedure for Neighbours.

What would you do if an arsehole neighbour moved in next door? 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

I don't have a block. If I did I wouldn't mind so long as the guest were respectful. If they weren't I'd go and speak to them, then mention to the property owner and then follow that up using AirBnB complaints procedure for Neighbours.

So if the 4 prostitutes next door are polite and respectful, then it’s ok. At the end of the day, it’s their property, so they can let whoever they like live in it as an Airbnb owner. It’s not that easy to just complain to Airbnb and the problem is solved. It made my parents life in a ground floor flat a misery.

I’ve had a nightmare neighbour, dealt with him face to face, as it was his property and he was living in it. Thankfully he’s gone now. It’s not quite the same however as having potentially two, or three completely different neighbours every week, some of who are there to party.

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

That is a total nightmare. Feel for you, mate and I hope you get your financial issues sorted. 

Scary stuff really.

I feel for him too jonno, folk shouldn’t have to put up with this. You work hard to earn money to buy a nice property in a nice area to bring up your family. All of a sudden, you’ve got drunken stag and hen parties every second weekend. Some of these owners don’t give a shit about folk like SE16, as they don’t live in the area, or even the country. Money is all that matters to them and fek anyone who is trying to stop them doing so.

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Pop round with a couple of burly chaps for a friendly chat. 

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Pop round with a couple of burly chaps for a friendly chat. 

So it was you...think we might be neighbours?

Edited by luckyBatistuta

2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Use all 3 on a fairly regular basis.

They provide a good service, are easy to use, and you know what you're getting with them.  Would rather buy something on Amazon for half the price of in the shops, take an Uber across town for half the price of a taxi, and use AirBnB to get a nice holiday place for half the price of a hotel, than sit at home worrying about their tax accounts.

55 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

That is a total nightmare. Feel for you, mate and I hope you get your financial issues sorted. 

Scary stuff really.

Thanks mate

8 minutes ago, tian447 said:

They provide a good service, are easy to use, and you know what you're getting with them.  Would rather buy something on Amazon for half the price of in the shops, take an Uber across town for half the price of a taxi, and use AirBnB to get a nice holiday place for half the price of a hotel, than sit at home worrying about their tax accounts.

Nailed it.

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not really, there is also a very good and reasonably cheap public transport service in place for them if they don’t want the luxury of a taxi at their door.

Fortunately these days I can get an Uber back to the 'Ferry for £10-15, rather than the £35-40 most taxis charge.

Well, its not always that clear it is airbnb. In my situation it was a long time before I realised. What happens is that someone new moves in and then you notice that they aren't there that often but a lot of different people come and go. There wasn't always that much anti social stuff. It came to a head when mail went missing and at the back end of last year my daughter managed to get in with a guy who claimed to be the managing agent. She found mail dating back 10 months. When the people using it change almost daily its hard to speak to them. The owner is from Qatar and stayed there for a few weeks 7 years ago so that's not a great option.

I did confront three young guys a couple of months ago and ended up chasing them down the road. Ultimately the people managing it just want the money, the people letting it want a holiday and the various authorities don't give a shit. Funnily enough it has got better since I kicked off, on the other hand my bank account was frozen yesterday because a bank statement was returned to the bank( I've lived at the same address for 25 years and banked with the same bank almost as long). Basically its a **** up and its coming to a place near you soon, if you haven't already experienced it.

11 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Well, its not always that clear it is airbnb. In my situation it was a long time before I realised. What happens is that someone new moves in and then you notice that they aren't there that often but a lot of different people come and go. There wasn't always that much anti social stuff. It came to a head when mail went missing and at the back end of last year my daughter managed to get in with a guy who claimed to be the managing agent. She found mail dating back 10 months. When the people using it change almost daily its hard to speak to them. The owner is from Qatar and stayed there for a few weeks 7 years ago so that's not a great option.

I did confront three young guys a couple of months ago and ended up chasing them down the road. Ultimately the people managing it just want the money, the people letting it want a holiday and the various authorities don't give a shit. Funnily enough it has got better since I kicked off, on the other hand my bank account was frozen yesterday because a bank statement was returned to the bank( I've lived at the same address for 25 years and banked with the same bank almost as long). Basically its a **** up and its coming to a place near you soon, if you haven't already experienced it.

Sound s a crap experience for you. Glad it's gotten better though. I find it mad that mail can get posted to the wrong address( and through the Air BNB door instead) so often. Would be contacting Royal Mail RE your Postie.

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sound s a crap experience for you. Glad it's gotten better though. I find it mad that mail can get posted to the wrong address( and through the Air BNB door instead) so often. Would be contacting Royal Mail RE your Postie.

Trust me, it is an ongoing battle with Royal Mail too 

Randy Marsh

I have registered with Air BnB as a host.  Was hoping to maybe rent my two bed flat out in August during the festival.  I would have to sleep in my car for a month but it would be worth it if I could rake in £1000-£2000.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Selfishness and greed, mate. 

It's rife in society today.

Sure is mate, a me,me,me society

59 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Fortunately these days I can get an Uber back to the 'Ferry for £10-15, rather than the £35-40 most taxis charge.

Who are the taxi companies that are charging you that, because I don’t know any. There is also no danger you are getting that price home to Queensferry in an Uber at the end of the night on a Friday, Saturday.

49 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Just what I was saying bud, there are a lot of folk overseas buying the properties up just to let them. Not very easy sorting a problem out, when you have no idea who your neighbour actually is.

4 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I have registered with Air BnB as a host.  Was hoping to maybe rent my two bed flat out in August during the festival.  I would have to sleep in my car for a month but it would be worth it if I could rake in £1000-£2000.

Lake I know just done that.  Moving into her parents for a month.  Will earn 1.5k in Corstorphine. It was booked up within a day.

She has had a few visitors over the last year who rent the spare room whilst sharing the rest of the house with her and she has loved it.

Edited by hughesie27

6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Who are the taxi companies that are charging you that, because I don’t know any. There is also no danger you are getting that price home to Queensferry in an Uber at the end of the night on a Friday, Saturday.

Just what I was saying bud, there are a lot of folk overseas buying the properties up just to let them. Not very easy sorting a problem out, when you have no idea who your neighbour actually is.

Just on the Uber prices. I've gotten home on a Friday at Midnight from Princes Street to Port Seton for £19. Just depends how lucky you are when you book.

Edited by hughesie27

Randy Marsh
10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Lake I know just done that.  Moving into her parents for a month.  Will earn 1.5k in Corstorphine. It was booked up within a day.

She has had a few visitors over the last year who rent the spare room whilst sharing the rest of the house with her and she has loved it.

Cheers for this.  Corstorphine is probably further from the City Centre than myself so upwards of £1500 seems possible.

Craig Gordons Gloves

It's not a surprise that AirBnB is rife in the capital, Edinburgh has been made a centerpiece of the Scottish tourist industry for a while and Edinburgh council promote it that way too.  Then, when you have hotels that are charging ridiculous amounts to stay for a night or 2, you're going to get a situation where cheaper options become more sought after.  We're also in a society where people travel much more than they ever used to (cheaper air fares, more perceived disposable income etc.  The fact that the council are complaining is quite amusing given their strategy about making Edinburgh a destination city - they're not quite seeing themselves as part of the problem. 

While i completely sympathize with anyone who experiences problems because of AirBnB it's also a fact that disruptors such as AirBnB, Uber/Lyft, Amazon etc are ultimately good from a consumer perspective as it allows choice and competition. 

Disser Pointon
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Seconded. Have used Airbnb in several countries and have booked again for this year and next, excellent value and I much prefer having your own space to a hotel.

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Just on the Uber prices. I've gotten home on a Friday at Midnight from Princes Street to Port Seton for £19. Just depends how lucky you are when you book.

Yet they will rip you off when you need them most, at 3am, 4am,  like they were trying to do to the passengers I had in my taxi last weekend. What Uber were quoting them was nothing short of robbing them. Yes I know they don’t have to accept the price and go elsewhere, but would you be happy with that in all walks of life. Hi sir, coffee, no problem…that will be £3, oops sorry, it’s 5pm and a little busy right now, that will be £20 etc…it’s just wrong. There should be a meter in all vehicles that should be controlled by the council, to stop people being ripped off. The terror attack in London was a prime example of how disgusting this kind of business is.

Anyway, back on topic. I always think people should try and think how they would feel if the situation was the other way around. You like using Airbnb and that’s up to you bud, it’s your prerogative, but I think most folk would certainly not be happy if they had one or two of these next door to them. What my mother and father were put through,was disgusting. It was actually effecting their health, they are not young and the stress of it all was getting to them, hence why they moved, which they shouldn’t have had to.

4 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

The flat upstairs from me is airbnb. Good area, very expensive lets and the "tenants" tend to be rich. However, mail goes missing when delivered through wrong door (missed hospital appointments etc), CC's have gone missing and been used, my bank account is currently frozen because someone has sent a bank letter back return to sender. There is a managing agent for the block who does nothing about it, the managing agent for the airbnb is I think a reputable estate agent but they won't identify their responsibilities or even that they have any.

The police have been involved but claim to be unable to trace the perpetrators, even on the fraud etc. and the council say their hands are tied ( they are allowed 90 days a year using this system but who monitors that). I've made numerous complaints to the royal mail as well as threatening various young posh twats who stay there.  If you use these lets then you're part of the problem in my opinion. 

Sounds like it's a new postie you need, not new neighbours.

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Mrs Craig got home a week last Friday for £12.50 on Uber. Have spent near on £40 a couple of times getting a black cab home, admittedly it's normally £30-35.

And your idea of centrally-controlled pricing doesn't work, just leads to the cartel we've got at the moment. How much is it before you even set off? £3.50 or something?

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Mrs Craig got home a week last Friday for £12.50 on Uber. Have spent near on £40 a couple of times getting a black cab home, admittedly it's normally £30-35.

And your idea of centrally-controlled pricing doesn't work, just leads to the cartel we've got at the moment. How much is it before you even set off? £3.50 or something?

Similarly, it cost me £25 in an uber to Heathrow but a black cab back had a set fare of £80. If I'd been able to wait I'd have took another Uber. 

Edit: I like air bnb. Hotels are rubbish with a 4 year old. 

Edited by IronJambo

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

This is the reason I like Airbnb and home and away etc as you can get a house/flat, which preferable to hotel accommodation if travelling with family. My kids, wife and myself living in a hotel room would be so much a holiday but a living hell for us all.

They are so successful as they’re are offering an alternative to the existing market and their is clearly a demand from it. 

Nailed it. We recently spent a week near Barcelona in 5 bed house with friends. 8 adults and 3 kids. We had the freedom to cook/eat out as we pleased and had a decent garden for the kids to run around in. A hotel doesn't really cut it for a group like that.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

They don’t rip you off, they just adjust their pricing based on supply and demand.

Their pricing is very clear (they tell you if your paying a premium) and they no more rip you off than taxi drivers who are very flexible with what they charge particularly at busy times.

At least Uber are honest and clear about unlike many taxi drivers imo experience. You know what you paying with Uber when you step in that is rarely the case with metered taxis. 

I find Uber superior over pretty much every and  any taxi service I have ever used and most the time it’s just private hire guys anyway. The cashless, gps known price and rating service I find very successful. 

The have modernised the ndustry for the benefit of the consumer. 

You seem to suggest Uber’s supply and demand pricing model is unusual; it’s not. Airline, hotels, trains and hearts even use it (why you think cat a and cat b games) it’s a widely used principal that nearly every business use. 

Their model is not ‘wrong’ or even unusual. You just don’t like it!

I struggle to believe a metered service run by the council would stop people being ripped off. Taxi drivers and the council are hardly bastions of consumer rights!!

Also a big fan of air bnb and Amazon. They have successfully opened up markets to consumers and provided us with level of services that are much improved on what was received previously.

These sort of companies are just a natural evolution of the digital world we live in. That brings both good and bad, but the good far outweighs the bad.

So charging someone between £70-£90 to go from York Place to QMC just off the A1 isn’t ripping folk off, ok? Those three people decided it was ridiculous too and got home that night for the grand sum of £16.

Don’t know what you are getting at with taxi drivers being very flexible, it’s on the meter. If it’s not on the meter inside the Edinburgh boundary, then you should be reporting them. If it’s out of town and a fixed fare, it’s negotiable, which you like.

I don’t have a problem with Uber, PHC being on the road, it’s competition, nothing wrong with that. My problem is, they just don’t want to follow the rules and cover their own work, they also want to steal jobs off the street, which is black taxi work. 

Taxis also have cashless and driver ratings too.

I never came on this thread to argue about Uber, I’d start my own thread on it if I wanted to do that. I won’t as I’ve already been there and it’s never ending. I was only responding to a post by Craig below, which was not the truth just to make the taxi trade look bad.

It’s a thread about Airbnb, so let’s not drag it off in another direction.

49 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

You said earlier that most taxis were charging you £35-£40, now you are saying a couple. If it’s North Queensferry it’s £30, not £30-£35. If it’s South Queensferry, it will be under £25. You were exaggerating with that first post to make black cabs look bad imo

Budgie's Boyfriend

I do a lot of work for various black cab drivers , they all seem to have decent houses and are not short of a few bob

Budgie's Boyfriend

I wish the houses next to me were Airbnb , sick of seeing the same assholes everyday ?

luckyBatistuta
29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Seriously I’d bring reporting every 4th taxi driver.

The reason taxi now have ratings and apps is because oh Uber and the likes to be honest. Like most followers the products are not as good as the innovators. Uber app and ability to use pretty much anywhere in the world is a big attraction. 

These traditional business taxi, retail and holiday accommodation failed to adapt to the digital world quick enough and Uber and the likes managed to take advantage of technology and the creation of networks on a scale most traditional businesses will ever achieve: 

Its the same with most these connection platforms like amazon, eBay, air bnb they adapt.

They have fundamentally changed the market they operate in.

Anyway taxi drivers are ****ed we will all be in driverless car soon enough any way?

Our taxi app is all over the world too. In fact, I’m getting loads of folk switching to that app from Uber these days. 

:rofl:I keep hearing this, was reading the Elon Musk article on it yesterday. It might work in some countries, but can’t see how it’s possible here. You would need a new taxi every two weeks. It would never make any money, it would returning to base constantly covered in puke, cocaine, semen and all sorts and bits hanging off it:lol:

edit: glad to hear every 1st,2nd,3rd and 5th taxi driver is good ?

Edited by luckyBatistuta

shaun.lawson
8 hours ago, tian447 said:

They provide a good service, are easy to use, and you know what you're getting with them.  Would rather help loads more local shops go out of business and destroy their owners' lives and screw up the housing market for people the world over than sit at home worrying about these companies' tax accounts.

Fixed that for you. Because that's the reality. Own it. 

Amazon preside over what's awfully close to slavery among their workforce, and have destroyed the local high street. Airbnb have created a housing catastrophe across Europe. And many Uber drivers have to work 70 hours a week plus to make ends meet. All the while none of these cowboy operations pay proper tax.

What do you think happens when people are driving over 70 hours a week? More accidents, more fatalities. But what do you care about any of that, eh? Me, me, me.

Edited by shaun.lawson

11 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

All very successful disruptors in their respective markets. The rest of the market has to adapt and/or the system needs an overhaul.

Can't fault them at all in a business sense.