Anthony McDonald just scored a raker

Mr Sifter

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

McDonald looked the player with most promise last year of the youngsters who played. I really liked his style and directness, whilst he clearly has good footballing ability. 

A loan on ict seems a logical move. I also wouldn’t be surprised if ended up there next year.

However, we do need to start thinking about how we progress players from youth to first team. It’s something we’ve struggled for a long time with. There comes a point where players need to make the step up, not so much Mac Donald, but zanata and a lesser extent keena we need to see if they are the required standard. Players in their early 20’s are at the stage where they need to step or we accept they’re not good enough. 

Annoying thing is you have young players down South who are playing international football at 17/18. Jaydon Sancho isnt a big muscular specimen but he has a great football brain so he reads whats coming. Just seems thst up here you need to be physically ready rather than technically ready.

Kerp hearing we have no talent coming hrough, thats a joke in itself. The performance schools are producing real good talent across the board but from 16+ its down to the clubs to take the plunge and believe in the young players.  From what I have seen the young boys are fearless, they have energy, enthusiasm and cheek....but most of all they believe in themselves, maybe that needs to be reciprocated. Just look at Celtic, Lennon took a punt on Forrest, Deila on Tierney, Rodgers on MacGregor\Christie and look at what they are doing now. 

I think the club either plays these boys or they will lose them, they believe they are good enough but if the manager\coaches dont,  then worrying thing is they look elsewhere for 1st team football.

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

McDonald looked the player with most promise last year of the youngsters who played. I really liked his style and directness, whilst he clearly has good footballing ability. 

A loan on ict seems a logical move. I also wouldn’t be surprised if ended up there next year.

However, we do need to start thinking about how we progress players from youth to first team. It’s something we’ve struggled for a long time with. There comes a point where players need to make the step up, not so much Mac Donald, but zanata and a lesser extent keena we need to see if they are the required standard. Players in their early 20’s are at the stage where they need to step or we accept they’re not good enough. 

I think one of the things that was said when it came to revamping the academy was the requirement for an increase in the quality of youngster coming through.

Some guys will be decent SPL level players but perhaps only good enough for a mid table side. 

What we are looking for is guys who will come in and develop into players who can keep us competing at the top end of the table and give teams like celtic a run for their money home and away. 

This seriously narrows down the number of kids who will actually "make it".

It's not just about the ability but the mentality to handle that pressure and expectation.

Yea Celtic have brought through some talented kids from the academy but they have also let scores of them go. Nobody in Scotland draws in more kids than rangers and Celtic. You're looking at the lucky 1%.

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Dundee game midweek. Think he scored and maybe won motm. Think that’s game your thinking off. 

I would argue he had way more good performances than that. However, he was most definitely excellent in the Dundee game, real standout.

Didn't score but was excellent (as was Cochrane I think) . He laid on the first

allanwilson1970

The concern I have is that having watched Harry Cochrane play for the reserves against essentially a u18 Kilmarnock team he was abysmal. Touch all over the place and not strong enough to compete, giving the ball away umpteen times and losing 50/50s.  This makes me wonder what has he been doing when injured as he has definitely not bulked up. 

Whereas Mcdonald has benefited from going on loan, I have heard a lot of rumors at u18 and reserve games he thinks he’s a big time Charlie and picks and chooses his games. I hope that is wrong as he has a lot of positives but if not working hard enough then could suffer.  

Both McDonald and Cochrane got new contracts last year with big salaries, has this hindered their hunger and desire ?

We have a lot of talents 16-18 in the club, we need to ensure they are not only good technically but also attitude wise.  

39 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Annoying thing is you have young players down South who are playing international football at 17/18. Jaydon Sancho isnt a big muscular specimen but he has a great football brain so he reads whats coming. Just seems thst up here you need to be physically ready rather than technically ready.

Kerp hearing we have no talent coming hrough, thats a joke in itself. The performance schools are producing real good talent across the board but from 16+ its down to the clubs to take the plunge and believe in the young players.  From what I have seen the young boys are fearless, they have energy, enthusiasm and cheek....but most of all they believe in themselves, maybe that needs to be reciprocated. Just look at Celtic, Lennon took a punt on Forrest, Deila on Tierney, Rodgers on MacGregor\Christie and look at what they are doing now. 

I think the club either plays these boys or they will lose them, they believe they are good enough but if the manager\coaches dont,  then worrying thing is they look elsewhere for 1st team football.

Always need to play. 

Sancho isn't "down South" though. He's in Germany. 

Which young players are playing regularly  in England?

Edited by Mikey1874

Nookie Bear
25 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I think one of the things that was said when it came to revamping the academy was the requirement for an increase in the quality of youngster coming through.

Some guys will be decent SPL level players but perhaps only good enough for a mid table side. 

What we are looking for is guys who will come in and develop into players who can keep us competing at the top end of the table and give teams like celtic a run for their money home and away. 

This seriously narrows down the number of kids who will actually "make it".

It's not just about the ability but the mentality to handle that pressure and expectation.

Yea Celtic have brought through some talented kids from the academy but they have also let scores of them go. Nobody in Scotland draws in more kids than rangers and Celtic. You're looking at the lucky 1%.

That’s an interesting policy. 

Would be great to have guys coming through that can take us forward (eg Paterson) but that may only work once every couple of years. And how will we know until someone plays a number of first team games? It took Paterson a lot of games before he stood out, for example. 

More likely is that we can develop players who can ‘do a job’ and be a squad player (eg King) and perhaps stop us bringing in average foreign players who may struggle to adapt to our game. And there is nothing wrong with producing those kinds of players!

5 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

So was mine. 

Take your own advice. 

?

Try reading my post again and it will be clear to you.

49 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That’s an interesting policy. 

Would be great to have guys coming through that can take us forward (eg Paterson) but that may only work once every couple of years. And how will we know until someone plays a number of first team games? It took Paterson a lot of games before he stood out, for example. 

More likely is that we can develop players who can ‘do a job’ and be a squad player (eg King) and perhaps stop us bringing in average foreign players who may struggle to adapt to our game. And there is nothing wrong with producing those kinds of players!

I did say players who can come in and develop into players of that quality. 

I don't expect a 19-21 year old from the academy to come in and immediately become one of the leagues best.

Position has to be taken into account as well. Strikers and goalkeepers often take longer to develop because they are isolated in the spotlight.

Defenders and midfielders have guys around them who can cover for them and help them blend into the team.

Nookie Bear
18 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I did say players who can come in and develop into players of that quality. 

I don't expect a 19-21 year old from the academy to come in and immediately become one of the leagues best.

Position has to be taken into account as well. Strikers and goalkeepers often take longer to develop because they are isolated in the spotlight.

Defenders and midfielders have guys around them who can cover for them and help them blend into the team.

You did say that :thumb:

I would like these kids to get more SPL game time, even if it’s ten minutes at the end of a game. 

But its it’s been an odd season for our squad so maybe things will settle down next season. 

19 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Naw!  He wouldn't play young players!

Give it a break!

He hasn’t this season

15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Always need to play. 

Sancho isn't "down South" though. He's in Germany. 

Which young players are playing regularly  in England?

Go and look at Norwich, Leeds Utd, Derby, to name just a few. I know Sancho isnt down South but he is now a full international at 17. 

My argument is we seem to be stuck in this world that our players have to be physically ready, irrespective of their ability. Reserve team football doesnt help  these boys need to be playing competitive football. 

47 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Go and look at Norwich, Leeds Utd, Derby, to name just a few. I know Sancho isnt down South but he is now a full international at 17. 

My argument is we seem to be stuck in this world that our players have to be physically ready, irrespective of their ability. Reserve team football doesnt help  these boys need to be playing competitive football. 

Leeds for example are careful about playing young players. Similar approach to Craig Levein. One player, Jamie Shackleton fans have been demanding plays hasn't had a chance. Guys do come in but generally just play the odd game. Squad size is small though and youngsters are trusted. 

But they do actually have proper good players in U23 squad. 

Have signed Stuart McKinstry from Motherwell for next season. 

Meantime plenty examples in England of young players not getting a chance notably Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea. Obviously Arsenal don't count because they rarely play anyone. 

allanwilson1970
1 hour ago, Naisysback said:

You argument misses the point here, our game in Scotland is all about physicality, since to move to a technical based game Will cost too much and the transition period from physical to technical is a risk in the journey that teams will refuse to undertake.  

Down south it it is different since it is more speed and technical based. They can buy the best players for 20 million upwards and if it doesn’t work out they move into the next one. 

Unfortunately for McDonald and Cochrane, as long as they remain in Scotland their size and physique will be more important than their technical ability.  The 2 of them need to bulk or or face drifting away.  

I have ave seen McDonald this season getting physical beat in the u18s and Cochrane just this week in the reserves miles off it. Instead of hanging around birds they should be in the gym every day.  

6 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

You argument misses the point here, our game in Scotland is all about physicality, since to move to a technical based game Will cost too much and the transition period from physical to technical is a risk in the journey that teams will refuse to undertake.  

Down south it it is different since it is more speed and technical based. They can buy the best players for 20 million upwards and if it doesn’t work out they move into the next one. 

Unfortunately for McDonald and Cochrane, as long as they remain in Scotland their size and physique will be more important than their technical ability.  The 2 of them need to bulk or or face drifting away.  

I have ave seen McDonald this season getting physical beat in the u18s and Cochrane just this week in the reserves miles off it. Instead of hanging around birds they should be in the gym every day.  

That is basically what everyone is saying. 

Change the coaching and decide on a way of playing. 

13 minutes ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Mcdonald played 1 game for the u18s and every time he touched thd ball he had 3 players on top of him. I was at that game. Also remember going from training with Naismith, Djoum, Lee to playing u18s is very difficult, expectations are huge and you make pases or runs that arent read makes you look poor. Also dont need to be z big lumpbto foul people, look at Harry on McGinn last season.

Look at Callum MacGregor, Kent even jamie walker, nobe of them built lke boxers but they have the ability to read the game.

Archaic way of thinking to say thats the way the game is, look st the players everyone talking about. Hastie at motherwell, jones at Kille, mcgregor, kent...all technical players and the ones grabbing all the headlines.

25 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That is basically what everyone is saying. 

Change the coaching and decide on a way of playing. 

100%, dont change the player  change the system to utilise the players.  Young players like harry, tony, connor,chris,jay all come through a performance school so they would be technical players, why then try to make them big muscle men that then takes away their natural and coached ability. 

Alex Kintner
11 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

100%, dont change the player  change the system to utilise the players.  Young players like harry, tony, connor,chris,jay all come through a performance school so they would be technical players, why then try to make them big muscle men that then takes away their natural and coached ability. 

How does becoming physically stronger take away your ability?

TyphoonJambo
26 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Bruce Banner could play the piano until he got all muscely............and green

allanwilson1970
52 minutes ago, Naisysback said:

Mcdonald played 1 game for the u18s and every time he touched thd ball he had 3 players on top of him. I was at that game. Also remember going from training with Naismith, Djoum, Lee to playing u18s is very difficult, expectations are huge and you make pases or runs that arent read makes you look poor. Also dont need to be z big lumpbto foul people, look at Harry on McGinn last season.

Look at Callum MacGregor, Kent even jamie walker, nobe of them built lke boxers but they have the ability to read the game.

Archaic way of thinking to say thats the way the game is, look st the players everyone talking about. Hastie at motherwell, jones at Kille, mcgregor, kent...all technical players and the ones grabbing all the headlines.

I think we are both saying the same thing, until Cochrane and McDonald strengthen up and are able to compete in games physically they we’ll not be regulars. 

Hastie is a great example, on loan at Alloa and couldn’t get game time, in a 6 month period body changed considerably due to hard work and is now flying. 

Wr have many technical players from 16-18 from back to front but probably none of them are ready for physically for our first team, maybe 5-6 of them technically are.  

I would love love our game to be technical and speed with no regards for physical but that will never happen up here unfortunately. 

On 17/04/2019 at 10:55, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Destroying the club. 

Basically throwing games by not playing our 16/17/18 year old superstars that would have us at least 2nd and the cup final would be a mere formality. 

Stupid Craig. 

Ffs

The best bit is, the posters who are crying for the youth to be played are the first to rip Morrison to bits and in turn CL for playing him. 

You couldn't actually make it up. 

You just did.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

This guy used to the next Messy, started doing too many push ups. 

d9122790f8eab70257445d7d8d86e0e7.jpeg