Edinburgh Roads

Harry Potter

doddsyJR9

Its what happens when we the people allow 'Green's' into power. They destroy economies. 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• OBE

• been here before

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Its what happens when we the people allow 'Green's' into power. They destroy economies. 

:rofl:

doddsyJR9
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

I wish they would ban these type imojis, demanding instead dialogue. Nothing funny whatsoever about anti Capitalist's 'the Greens' who cause chaos and misery. 

doddsyJR9
3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Similar to a child, who knows very little of what is going on around them. Speak Citizen.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, doddsyJR9 said:

I wish they would ban these type imojis, demanding instead dialogue. Nothing funny whatsoever about anti Capitalist's 'the Greens' who cause chaos and misery. 

The UK Government are making a good job of destroying the economy and they’re certainly not green.

doddsyJR9
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The UK Government are making a good job of destroying the economy and they’re certainly not green.

I do not see the UK Government, setting 20 mile per hour road speed limits, ruining town centres, with anti car agenda's, shop's abandoned, public sector strikes that cost lives, etc etc, that is all done at local level, left wing councils, left wing 'the Greens' agenda's. Greens.

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, doddsyJR9 said:

They do it with glee and smug self-righteousness. Bitter wee soy boys. 

doddsyJR9
32 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

They do it with glee and smug self-righteousness. Bitter wee soy boys. 

Self serving smug weirdo's. They hate the ordinary people. Guardian readers.

3 hours ago, been here before said:

As opposed to 'Car Drivers Are The Most Entitled People On Here' thread?

I want to be able to drive from my front door to the front door of the establishment I’m visiting, at a speed I choose is appropriate, without impediment or hindrance.

manaliveits105
3 hours ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Similar to a child, who knows very little of what is going on around them. Speak Citizen.

Fair comment :10900:

3 hours ago, doddsyJR9 said:

I do not see the UK Government, setting 20 mile per hour road speed limits, ruining town centres, with anti car agenda's, shop's abandoned, public sector strikes that cost lives, etc etc, that is all done at local level, left wing councils, left wing 'the Greens' agenda's. Greens.

TBF you get far fewer random apostrophes with the Greens.

Dennis Reynolds
4 hours ago, doddsyJR9 said:

Folk aren't going to town centres because they can't drive there. They're not going to town centres because they're shite.

been here before

Car drivers now greeting that they're not allowed to park on pavements 😄.

Their sense of entitlement would make even the Green Brigade blush.

Jim_Duncan
21 minutes ago, been here before said:

I like parking on cyclists. Crunchy. 

Punctured a tyre recently at Ardmillan and within a few weeks of reporting it, they'd fixed it.

They left the massive pot hole about 5 metres further up the road in the other lane though. 

Edited by Ray Gin

Some roads are a nightmare to cross in the dark, pot holes everywhere and the shitty LED street lights don't give the same coverage.

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Every road is in a really bad state! Need resurfaced now!

FTFY

Jim_Duncan

I’ve driven around most of the city in the last couple weeks for various family things. 

Edinburgh resembles a large building site at the moment. This is either a) an example of really bad planning by councillors who want to minimise disruption to traffic flow or b) an example of really good planning by councillors that want to cause maximum disruption to traffic flow. 

On 27/01/2024 at 12:46, Stuart Lyon said:

Former railway line going back to it's roots to become a team line. Seems like a good idea. Trams won't be held up by selfish parking on the line too. Bonus.

Edited by EIEIO
Spelling

John Findlay
On 29/01/2024 at 17:04, been here before said:

Cars on pavements only get in the way of cyclists, cycling on the pavements.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Punctured a tyre recently at Ardmillan and within a few weeks of reporting it, they'd fixed it.

They left the massive pot hole about 5 metres further up the road in the other lane though. 

I know about a dozen people that have had this happen in the last 5/6 weeks, it’s becoming dangerous to drive around this city. If they knew about the pothole before you hit it, you can claim them.

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Former railway line going back to it's roots to become a team line. Seems like a good idea. Trams won't be held up by selfish parking on the line too. Bonus.

Already a petition against it.

Potholes, just another tool used by the council tools to persuade motorists out their cars and onto 38 tonne busses to create more pot holes...Edinburgh is ***ked.

45 minutes ago, jackal said:

Already a petition against it.

Yes saw this, people pretending it's a site of scientific interest rather than a disused railway line being reborn.

Jim_Duncan
22 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

22 hours ago, kila said:

Some roads are a nightmare to cross in the dark, pot holes everywhere and the shitty LED street lights don't give the same coverage.

I read on a motoring forum that swapping out alloy wheels with lower profile side walls on the tyres for steel wheels and larger side walls can help mitigate against some of the damage potholes do. Anyone on here back that up, or is it nonsense?

5 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I read on a motoring forum that swapping out alloy wheels with lower profile side walls on the tyres for steel wheels and larger side walls can help mitigate against some of the damage potholes do. Anyone on here back that up, or is it nonsense?

If it only mitigates some damage then don't see the point, most folks go years without suffering the kind of pothole damage meaning a tyre or wheel needs repaired/replaced, you are then balancing that against the extra cost of fuel over that period by driving a heavier car.

I'd also imagine that on modern cars especially that the size, aero dynamics and weight of the wheel impact the car's setup, everything from steering/traction control to suspension are calculated to fractions of a gram etc, maybe won't make a noticeable difference but could easily be a get out for the manufacturer if you need something done under warranty. 

20 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I know about a dozen people that have had this happen in the last 5/6 weeks, it’s becoming dangerous to drive around this city. If they knew about the pothole before you hit it, you can claim them.

Not quite true, if it has been reported and then not fixed in a specific amount of time then you can claim.

Fife council have a grading system so for example a grade 1 = fixed in 6 weeks, grade 5 in 5 days etc, sure Edinburgh council will have similar but it'll be along the lines of all grades = fixed in 2 years

Jim_Duncan
37 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Not quite true, if it has been reported and then not fixed in a specific amount of time then you can claim.

Fife council have a grading system so for example a grade 1 = fixed in 6 weeks, grade 5 in 5 days etc, sure Edinburgh council will have similar but it'll be along the lines of all grades = fixed in 2 years

Roads in Fife? Next they'll be having electricity.

Jim_Duncan
41 minutes ago, Ribble said:

If it only mitigates some damage then don't see the point, most folks go years without suffering the kind of pothole damage meaning a tyre or wheel needs repaired/replaced, you are then balancing that against the extra cost of fuel over that period by driving a heavier car.

I'd also imagine that on modern cars especially that the size, aero dynamics and weight of the wheel impact the car's setup, everything from steering/traction control to suspension are calculated to fractions of a gram etc, maybe won't make a noticeable difference but could easily be a get out for the manufacturer if you need something done under warranty. 

It also, in theory, provides a smoother ride in general on the patchwork streets of our cities. As you say though, heavier car as a result.

18 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Roads in Fife? Next they'll be having electricity.

Been over in fife for a couple of years now and if i'm honest the ability to drive and park unimpeded was a huge factor in moving from Edinburgh.

I can park for free outside my house without risk of a fine or my car being towed should I sleep in

Cycle routes are not on main arterial roads.

City centre has an adequate amount of reasonable paid parking.

Road repair website shows if something has already been reported and if it has the expected timescale for inspection & repair.

Jim_Duncan
10 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Been over in fife for a couple of years now and if i'm honest the ability to drive and park unimpeded was a huge factor in moving from Edinburgh.

I can park for free outside my house without risk of a fine or my car being towed should I sleep in

Cycle routes are not on main arterial roads.

City centre has an adequate amount of reasonable paid parking.

Road repair website shows if something has already been reported and if it has the expected timescale for inspection & repair.

The adopted Fifer doth protest too much... 😜

27 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

The adopted Fifer doth protest too much... 😜

Honestly it was the sight of a traffic warden on my street at 5 to 8 every single morning just waiting to ticket cars that convinced me to move, and that was before they even decided to make a chunk of leith (including my old street) into a low traffic zone (all it's done is made leith impossible to navigate and pushed traffic onto the already busy main roads)

I was actually back out that way a few weeks ago and seen an ambulance i'm assuming was trying to get to the shore, down henderson street, nope, back out onto Great Junction Street, Cables Wynd, nope back to Great Junction Street, Coburg Street, Nope onto North Junction Street and headed off toward Ocean Terminal to turn along commercial street, hopefully it made it to the patient in time!

Jim_Duncan
5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Honestly it was the sight of a traffic warden on my street at 5 to 8 every single morning just waiting to ticket cars that convinced me to move, and that was before they even decided to make a chunk of leith (including my old street) into a low traffic zone (all it's done is made leith impossible to navigate and pushed traffic onto the already busy main roads)

I was actually back out that way a few weeks ago and seen an ambulance i'm assuming was trying to get to the shore, down henderson street, nope, back out onto Great Junction Street, Cables Wynd, nope back to Great Junction Street, Coburg Street, Nope onto North Junction Street and headed off toward Ocean Terminal to turn along commercial street, hopefully it made it to the patient in time!

Yep, there's a clear and obvious agenda to make driving a misery in Edinburgh. If that resulted in mass-adoption of cycling and public transport, then great. However, despite living not that far from the city centre (30 mins walk), I would require 2 buses to get many places that are not in the city centre itself. And the climate, potholes, uncollected rubbish, and hills make chunks of Edinburgh pretty shite for cycling around. :(

Fife, though... 😛

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

I’m speaking from personal experience. My wife hit an 8 inch deep hole which was full of water as it had been raining. It buckled both wheels on the nearside and was not safe to drive. After contacting them to claim, they said they can’t be held accountable as nobody had reported it. I then told them to look at again at the pictures I sent them and that they knew fine well about the hole in the road, as it was marked on the road to be fixed. They will lie to get out of everything. Sane thing happened with my mother with a loose paving stone. She stood on it and it flipped up. She went face first in to the pavement smashing her glasses and taken to hospital in an ambulance. They tried to say they weren’t responsible for her glasses at first. You need to keep at them.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Stuart Lyon
35 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Scott Arthur and his pals are nasty wee specimens.

Agreed.

Rupert Pupkin

Massive pot crater at the bottom of Blackbarony Road at Gordon Terrace.. Virtually takes up the whole lane at the junction.It’s not like the huge speed bumps there aren’t enough of an issue..

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

Stuart Lyon

Bus parked on pavement on Viewforth outside new Boroughmuir HS. Not a warden in sight.

• 4 weeks later...
Bret the Hitman Hearts
On 31/01/2024 at 10:49, EIEIO said:

Good idea until you consider how many trees will be chopped down, plus wildlife displaced. Not to mention the loss of an active travel corridor.

been here before
3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Out of interest, what is it that you think is wrong by prosecuting folk for not sticking to the speed limit, ignoring the restrictions outside school designed to protect bairns or driving about ignoring road signs?