Tutti Frutti

Greenbank2

More than 30 years since it was first broadcast and (as far as I know) now being repeated for the first time on BBC Scotland. Watching the original broadcast, I thought it was one of the best comedy/drama series ever made. I've watched the first episode of the repeat to see how it has dated, and if I would see it any differently now that some of the cast are now "national treasures".

I think it is still brilliant, Suzy Kettles & Danny Boy, Eddie Clockerty & Miss Tonner, Vincent Diver and Glenna et al.  Production techniques etc reflect the technology and budgets of the time, but the dialogue and performances are world class. I recall at the time that nobody would believe that Emma Thomson as not a bona-fide Weegie. Interested what anyone else watching again thinks and also any of the generation tempted to watch for the first time?

Carl Fredrickson

Was never released on video and was only released on DVD about 10 years ago due to a copyright issue over the use of the song. 

Loved the show then and still love it now. Great humour with a good story and a tremendous cast. 

been here before

Fair enjoyed it back when it was first on then got it on dvd when it first came  out and thought it was pretty crap to be honest. Really dated.

Watched the first episode again when it was on last week and thought it was alright. Might watch the 2nd episode when its on.

Changing tastes eh?

Still cant watch Stuart McGugan without thinking of It Aint Half Hot Mum or Playschool.

Edited by been here before

John Findlay

I was fortunate enough to have a lengthy conversation with John Byrne at Haymarket station re Tutti Frutti. Regards it as one of his best works and I don't disagree with him.

Loved it first time round and looking forward to watching it again but hoping it won't be as dated as when I watched The Young Ones again.

been here before
On 10/03/2019 at 22:07, JackLadd said:

The late Tam White did all the singing.  

Tam White only done the singing of Big Jazza.

14 hours ago, been here before said:

Tam White only done the singing of Big Jazza.

I heard he did Suzy Kettles also. 

scott herbertson
On 10/03/2019 at 17:20, been here before said:

Fair enjoyed it back when it was first on then got it on dvd when it first came  out and thought it was pretty crap to be honest. Really dated.

Watched the first episode again when it was on last week and thought it was alright. Might watch the 2nd episode when its on.

Changing tastes eh?

Still cant watch Stuart McGugan without thinking of It Aint Half Hot Mum or Playschool.

My experience too, though I haven't watched it this time