Real Kashmir FC

been here before

been here before

Anyone else watch this? It was on the BBC Scotland channel the other night.

Davie Robertson, ex Aberdeen, Rangres and Leeds, is out in the most militarised place on earth managing Real Kashmir in The Indian I League.

Training and matches cancelled due to shootings and bomb attacks, armed police and soldiers all over the training ground. Living in a hotel which only sometimes has electricity and a government that switches the net off for security reasons.

Prior to games theres airport security gates for the crowd to go through, soldiers toting sub machine guns and the ground checked out with minesweepers for landmines before hand.

Plenty of ranting and raving from Robertson with more than a few bemused faces at Robertson expletive laden outbursts.

Despite the fact he's called his laddie Mason you cant help admire his dedication to the cause. Especially looking at the lifestyle he could be living back home.

Im presuming itll be on iplayer. Give it a watch.

So he's having to go to the literal arsehole of the world to manage in an utter sesspit where there is a legitimate chance a bomb could go off at a game? Must be on a decent wedge to do that. 

I watched it earlier and really enjoyed it. I warmed to David Robertson as the programme went on but could not make my mind if he was just crazy or was so determined to make it as a manager that he would go anywhere in the world.

1 minute ago, OTT said:

So he's having to go to the literal arsehole of the world to manage in an utter sesspit where there is a legitimate chance a bomb could go off at a game? Must be on a decent wedge to do that. 

The money was not great so that was definitely not his motivation.

been here before
1 minute ago, OTT said:

His (annoying) Mrs reckons he could be living a nice comfortable life at home off his pension but is living 5000 miles away earning less than the local Aberdeen postie.

Theres a bit in the programme where to celebrate their first game the Kashmir owner awards all the players and management with a bonus equivalent to £100 each.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Davie Robertson, ex Aberdeen, Rangres and Leeds, is out in the most militarised place on earth managing Real Kashmir in The Indian I League.

Training and matches cancelled due to shootings and bomb attacks, armed police and soldiers all over the training ground. Living in a hotel which only sometimes has electricity and a government that switches the net off for security reasons.

Prior to games theres airport security gates for the crowd to go through, soldiers toting sub machine guns and the ground checked out with minesweepers for landmines before hand.

Plenty of ranting and raving from Robertson with more than a few bemused faces at Robertson expletive laden outbursts.

Despite the fact he's called his laddie Mason you cant help admire his dedication to the cause. Especially looking at the lifestyle he could be living back home.

So it was a bit like it was when he played at Ibrox then?

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Why didn't he just stay in Glasgow?

Calebs Grandad
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Apparently he turned down an offer from Hibs prior to this as he refused to live in a shithole like Lochend ?

4 hours ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Apparently he turned down an offer from Hibs prior to this as he refused to live in a shithole like Lochend ?

Think you may be confusing him with Appleton... 

Eddie The Eagle
10 hours ago, been here before said:

I'll give this a watch this eveining in catch up cheers

Was brilliant. What an insight. His Mrs thinks she’s Aberdeen’s answer to Posh Spice. Greeting faced cow who spends all his money. 

18 hours ago, Jessjambo said:

I was actually going to make a joke about Montrose being that much of a hole he'd rather live in a wartorn sesspit but he went to Phoenix FC before which scuppered that :( 

(Apologies to Montrose Jambos :D

Captain Canada

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. It's incredible the challenges he's facing there and still doing such a great job. 

brunoatemyhamster

Watching it now. 

Really good. 

It's like he's recovering from a serious head injury, but really good. 

Shanks said no

Caught it last night by accident, thought it was brilliant and good luck to him in his future career*

*as long as it’s not to the detriment of Hearts

Just watched this ! Thought it was really good and Robertson came over really well. Laughing at him going off his nut when the under 18 side booted the first team off the park in the bounce game !! 

joondalupjambo

Chelsea and Mason, really.

Oh and mother and daughter not wearing head gear when roaming about the outer areas of the mosque, poor form.  When in Rome and all that.......

Really good watch though, hats off to him.

• 5 months later...
On 04/03/2019 at 18:44, Nookie Bear said:

Always thought he was a top player but realised he only got 3 Scotland caps ?

Trying to rack my brains but up against Tom Boyd at the time.  Rangers and Celtic were different beasts then but:

As players - both really good.  Boyd slightly better all rounder in ability to play full backs, plus centre half.  Robertson better left back, when fit.

Other comparrisons:-

Injuries - well.

Withdrawing from Scotland squads through injury - well

Then playing for club in big game on the Saturday - well

Then Tosh McKinley signed for Celtic, became auto choice left wing back and combined with Levein / McLaren's injuries, Boyd moved to centre half for Scotland.

• 7 months later...
On 04/03/2019 at 18:00, joondalupjambo said:

Oh and mother and daughter not wearing head gear when roaming about the outer areas of the mosque, poor form.  When in Rome and all that.......

fantastic humour ( if meant ) 😂😂

Japan Jambo
On 28/02/2019 at 23:54, Jessjambo said:

Probably wanted an upgrade. Great show and he came out of it really well...

Forever Hearts
On 04/03/2019 at 18:00, joondalupjambo said:

Were you offended? 

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Were you offended? 

surely the ironic humour was meant , can’t possibly have been offended . Could he ? 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Were you offended? 

In all honestly it is what I said when in Rome.  I think it is probably a bit offensive to the locals when outsiders do not respect local customs.  That is the issue not if I am offended or not, I am not it was simply an attempt at ironic humour.

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, Meadows said:

fantastic humour ( if meant ) 😂😂

Crikey it was over a year ago that comment.  I was much younger then, had hair, inexperienced, immature and was trying to be humorous in an ironic way I think😃😃 Now I have grown up my comedic style has shifted to be careful what you say😃😃

been here before
45 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Wonder if Robertson is back in uk now though 

You could google that and find out the answer in less words and time than you spent on your post.

Jambo 4 Ever
30 minutes ago, been here before said:

You could google that and find out the answer in less words and time than you spent on your post.

You could have answered too then smartarese, in the time it took to post your helpful reply 

been here before
2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

You could have answered too then smartarese, in the time it took to post your helpful reply 

I could have but then a) I know the answer and b) Im not a googling service for drooling Lanarkshire gimps who lack capacity.

Edited by been here before

stirlingshirejambo

I am sure I heard an interview with him that they have made a second show due out this month

hats off to the guy and his son for making the move

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, been here before said:

I could have but then a) I know the answer and b) Im not a googling service for drooling Lanarkshire gimps who lack capacity.

Aw naw, is that Jambo in Hamilton in a new guise?

On 28/02/2019 at 22:04, OTT said:

Haha careful one of the thought police mods will ban you for your honesty. 

• 1 month later...
been here before

Follow up on BBC Scotland on Tuesday 12th...

Follow-up programme to the 2019 Bafta Scotland-winning Real Kashmir FC which sees former Aberdeen and Rangers star Davie Robertson return to India to manage Real Kashmir FC.

Davie hoped many of the problems of last year would be solved, but on the very same day that he arrives the team are thrown into a political firestorm as Kashmir’s devolved status is abolished, with the state being brought under the direct control of India.

Landing in Kolkata for the prestigious Durand Cup, he must deal with players who are unable to leave Kashmir to join him, and the players that are there can't call home as the phone lines to Kashmir have been cut.
In a bizarre twist of fate, the team are drawn against the Indian army team and Davie struggles to control his fiery temper. At the end of the game, there are tears from the Kashmiri players.

Joining Davie this year is Kallum Higginbotham, a veteran player of the English Championship and SPL. Kallum is a passionate player and he explodes during training, prompting a rebuke from Davie - this is not how you handle things in India.

Organizing and motivating a diverse team drawn from India, Africa and Europe to play top-flight football is no easy task.

Return to Real Kashmir FC his is not just a footballing story, it is also a story of hopes, dreams, and family. Davie’s long-suffering but fiery wife Kym eyerolls at his decision to return to Kashmir and she takes some pleasure in hearing of Davie's suffering up the highest road in the world. Davie has sacrificed a lot for his dream, and upon his arrival to a conflict-riven Srinagar, still reeling from Kashmir’s annexation to India, Davie wonders if it's all worth it.

Forever Hearts
On 28/02/2019 at 22:04, OTT said:

He doesn't have to, he's not short of a few bob and must do it for the experience and because he's a football fanatic. Plus he's a bit nuts.