U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

21 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Would you believe there's an entire Wikipedia article on it? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicians_who_oppose_Donald_Trump's_use_of_their_music

George Harrison's estate denounced the use of the Harrison-written Beatles song "Here Comes the Sun" after the Trump campaign used the song to introduce Ivanka Trump at the 2016 Republican National Convention.

The estate noted that Trump did not have permission to use this song, but that they would consider allowing him to use the Harrison song "Beware of Darkness".

Edited by JFK-1

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Trump’s campaign has  had ‘cease and desist’ orders from several musicians re. playing their songs without permission (Stones, Neil Young). I think they just ignore these.

in the meantime...

(Fully licensed and approved)

And he’s not praying!

No landslide.

Biden to win but on the say so of a marginal.

Trump refuses to accept result.

Anarchy in at least 4 states.

2 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

No landslide.

Biden to win but on the say so of a marginal.

Trump refuses to accept result.

Anarchy in at least 4 states.

There are still pundits saying there are still three States that are close and could have a major impact again on the electoral college vote. 

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Anybody see the irony in the White House accusing Anthony Fauci of 'playing politics'? The same White House who with zero expertise have constantly stepped into his field all of this year.  Playing scientist.

Of course Trump knows more about everything than any "stupid scientist" knows about anything including his own field of expertise. Bring out the bleach.

Covid: White House accuses top scientist Fauci of 'playing politics'

I saw a clip of a Trump rally with him conducting while his mutant supporters chanted "Fire Fauci!" Trump then all but said that he'd fire Fauci after the election.

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 minute ago, Boof said:

Texan secession?

Texas is very much in play this year for the Democrats. Trump only a marginal favourite.

New non scalable fencing going up around the White House, businesses throughout the country being boarded up, just  another normal day in Trumpland. 

It's being reported that a total Biden landslide Trump is going to claim victory tomorrow night. Personally I doubt he will concede no matter how heavy a defeat he may suffer.

America on edge amid fears of election violence

America's cities are bracing for violence as soon as tomorrow.

In photos: America on edge amid fears of election violence

52 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Texas is very much in play this year for the Democrats. Trump only a marginal favourite.

If the Dems win Texas, I'll laugh myself sore. The last Dem to win it was Jimmy Carter in 1976. Unfortunately it would also very likely result in large scale civil disorder there.

A Boy Named Crow
3 hours ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Can't believe he is still playing Fortunate Son at his rallies. Has no one told him what the song is about? It's fitting, though.

It's laughably deaf to the meaning of the song, and/or utterly lacking on self-awareness.  He is EVERYTHING the singer of the song isn't!

Trump show on BBC2 just fantastic viewing and given there are a few American based contributors on here how can any of them follow that buffoon ?

I hope for America and the worlds sake it changes in the next 24 hours and then go after him and his friends with a vengeance..of course they won't but they should

However hope is one thing and he is a slimy creature who has wriggled out of 'situations' time and time again

Are there any decent Republicans left to rebuild that party ?

12 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Trump show on BBC2 just fantastic viewing and given there are a few American based contributors on here how can any of them follow that buffoon ?

J.T.F.Robertson

He likes a dance though. Have you ever seen anything more un-presidential?

Also, his hand movements are identical to my dad's in his last few years (passed at 90)  when he'd had a few. There's something far wrong with him. (scoop)

Trump is like a Hobo on the day before a derby ... he just KNOWS he's gonna lose. :rudi:

His rhetoric today is all whine, whine, complain, complain.  Not a word about his "achievements" in the last four years.

The sooner this embarrassment to America is removed from office, the sooner the country can re-establish its proper status in the world.

LEAK: Trump Will Declare Victory on Election Night

Axios is able to exclusively report the plan by Donald Trump to prematurely declare victory on election night, regardless of the actual results known at the time.

I see they've labelled as misleading his tweet threatening street violence if Pennsylvania postal ballots received after the 3rd are counted.  

34 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I see they've labelled as misleading his tweet threatening street violence if Pennsylvania postal ballots received after the 3rd are counted.  

I wouldn't call the threats of violence misleading. 

"I'm a perfect physical specimen" "China plague... just to be accurate". He isn't reigning himself in at all here eh? Bampot is a bampot to the end.

It's bad, but I'm pissing myself laughing at him. Going on about all sorts of rambling incoherent nonsense. Not even politics, just inane rambling! It's mental. How is this man the President?

Edited by jambostuart

9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I wouldn't call the threats of violence misleading. 

I think it was his lies on counting mail votes only. The violence in the streets bit was odious and should have been taken down. 

5 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

"I'm a perfect physical specimen" "China plague... just to be accurate". He isn't reigning himself in at all here eh? Bampot is a bampot to the end.

It's bad, but I'm pissing myself laughing at him. Going on about all sorts of rambling incoherent nonsense. Not even politics, just inane rambling! It's mental. How is this man the President?

How are this entire family tolerated? Last week Trumps son Don Jr. was raving on Fox about the "fake news" obsessing over the numbers of new cases when it hit a record 100,000 new cases in a single day.

Why are they going on about the cases he asks? Why aren't they talking about the deaths? He then claimed they're not talking about the deaths because "they're almost nothing"

A thousand people died the very day he said it.

DEATHS IN LAST 7 DAYS

We need this piece of shit to go tell those 5,783 families that your loss was "nothing"

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

How are this entire family tolerated? Last week Trumps son Don Jr. was raving on Fox about the "fake news" obsessing over the numbers of new cases when it hit a record 100,000 new cases in a single day.

Why are they going on about the cases he asks? Why aren't they talking about the deaths? He then claimed they're not talking about the deaths because "they're almost nothing"

A thousand people died the very day he said it.

DEATHS IN LAST 7 DAYS

We need this piece of shit to go tell those 5,783 families that your loss was "nothing"

Oh absolutely. I really shouldn't be laughing at what I'm witnessing. It's horrifying that this man spouting garbage is the President. Some of the things said tonight alone are unbelievable. A huge contrast to Biden, where the most embarrassing part of his rally was Lady Gaga! 

14 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I think it was his lies on counting mail votes only. The violence in the streets bit was odious and should have been taken down. 

I don' think Twitter take down anything he says. Their stated view of it is that as the head of the nation anything he says no matter how outrageous has to be known to the public.

This is what it's come to and all due to this orange mental case. They're officially akin to an unstable third world tinpot dictatorship that can't have an election without threats of mayhem.

12 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Oh absolutely. I really shouldn't be laughing at what I'm witnessing. It's horrifying that this man spouting garbage is the President. Some of the things said tonight alone are unbelievable. A huge contrast to Biden, where the most embarrassing part of his rally was Lady Gaga! 

Primed to begin when Junior orange makes his vile comment.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Looking forward to Trump’s upcoming superspreader event in Grand Rapids, where I work* :facepalm:

*Nominally, since I haven’t been to the office once since March.

A quote from the great Carl Sagan's 1995 book 'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark'; a book in which Sagan sets out to explain the scientific method to laypeople, and encourages people to learn critical and skeptical thinking.

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

A quote from the great Carl Sagan's 1995 book 'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark'; a book in which Sagan sets out to explain the scientific method to laypeople, and encourages people to learn critical and skeptical thinking.

I have twelve Carl Sagan books in my meagre library. He has been enormously influential in how I think of everything.

I can say without hesitation that he would be aghast at what has happened to his country in the last four years.  His worst fears have been realised.

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I have twelve Carl Sagan books in my meagre library. He has been enormously influential in how I think of everything.

I can say without hesitation that he would be aghast at what has happened to his country in the last four years.  His worst fears have been realised.

That quote could be viewed as prophetic. The man had vision outside his field of expertise. I have no doubt he would have been horrified to see something like Trump occupy the White House.

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Anyone reading Real Clear Politics today?  :peepwall:

If you’re talking about battleground polls narrowing I’d check the low quality (and extreme partisanship) of the pollsters who ran some of the recently added polls (Trafalgar, Susquehanna etc). Doesn’t mean Trump can’t win, of course...

Updated: 11/02/2020 09:33 PM EST

President Donald Trump is in a deeper hole heading into Election Day than he was four years ago, when he stunned Hillary Clinton and most of America.

The final polls before the election, released on Monday, continued to show Joe Biden ahead in enough swing states to win.

Some of the states are close, but the polls would have to be significantly more inaccurate than they were in 2016 for Trump to prevail.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/02/what-the-final-polls-say-about-the-trump-biden-race-433888

John Gentleman
15 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

In the meantime, China has dramatically increased its focus on education, with the equivalent of one new university per year opening.

More importantly, China is stressing STEM graduates (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) and had 4.7 million STEM graduates last year.  This is an area where the US once excelled, but has been now surpassed by both China and India.  The USA had around 500,000 STEM graduates last year.

Probably off-topic in a Trump thread.

Bang on-topic I reckon. What we're witnessing is the dumbing-down of America and the smartening-up of China. When the dragon awakes etc.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Realistically, you can’t see Trump winning this - unless he goes to court over postal votes and somehow fools everyone into siding with him.

Will be great to see the back of him. But Biden is a very average candidate - someone who would have little chance if he wasn’t up against a complete imbecile. America will get tired of him this pretty rapidly.

27 minutes ago, Barack said:

Biden won't run for a 2nd term. It's just a hand on the tiller job. Then (and I sense Justin twitching as a write...) you'll have Buttigieg, Harris, probably Warren etc, all lining up again.

Harris has to be the strongest contender - she's getting a 2-3yr apprenticeship to learn and market herself to America.

28 minutes ago, Barack said:

It'll be beige. Trump will scorch the earth as best he can if he does lose as expected, and leave Biden's administration with pieces to pick up that will take at least 2 terms to try & solve.

It'll be beige - but it'll be a good beige. Should hopefully see the US government restored and progress with experts in place rather than sycophants and Trump backers who paid for the privilege. If they can take the house/senate then in theory a more positive politics could be brought to the table (restoring environmental policies, bolstering health care as a starting point). 

What will be interesting is how they deal with tax and combat the disinformation that will come in the form of radical right wingers. 

Riddley Walker

Shame Kickback is gonna be down overnight for this, actually. This has been (mainly) one of the best places to get info on the topic and it's shut down for the culmination of a 4 year thread :lol:

It's going to be close. I'm sure most of us are hoping Joe wins,  merely to get rid off Trump if anything. 

But.... I wouldn't get your hopes up if you are seriously involved or, tuned in to this that Trump won't be President for another 4 years. 

Stephane Grappelli
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's going to be close. I'm sure most of us are hoping Joe wins,  merely to get rid off Trump if anything. 

But.... I wouldn't get your hopes up if you are seriously involved or, tuned in to this that Trump won't be President for another 4 years. 

Agreed, but really hope I'm wrong. There's a fear that there are so many silent voters who are way off the pollsters' radars that will come out for Trump.

Joe Biden isn't perfect but surely to goodness most people don't want another 4 years of the Trump nightmare.

9 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Agreed, but really hope I'm wrong. There's a fear that there are so many silent voters who are way off the pollsters' radars that will come out for Trump.

Joe Biden isn't perfect but surely to goodness most people don't want another 4 years of the Trump nightmare.

Yes, indeed. I read that too this morning. It won't be good if it's really close either given the current state of play. Biden needs a clear win. 

Have been monitoring the odds on the winner.  Biden was as short as 2/5 early last month while Trump was around 2/1.  Odds are much closer now.  

John Gentleman
5 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Have been monitoring the odds on the winner.  Biden was as short as 2/5 early last month while Trump was around 2/1.  Odds are much closer now.  

Well, what are they (current odds)?

All roads lead to Gorgie

I just hope the young voters worried about climate change vote for Biden and the older voters worried about covid do likewise. The ones in between are the worrying part though!

The world as a whole needs Trump out of office not just the States but I am fearful that might take another four years. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

This might ease your worries a little. If this is replicated across the nation, (and there's plenty of early indicators it is) then there is definitely something happening.

Not so much an election. A judgement.

20201103_115535.jpg

20201103_115523.jpg

That is indeed promising news and shows that many voters are not being duped by Trumps bluster this time around. Hopefully all the ethnic groups he has insulted will know the score and this will end in a big Biden win. 

All postal votes MUST be counted and don't let the hopeful dictator win somehow on default.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)