U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was watching CNN this morning and they were reporting that Georgia is opening gyms, cinema's, hairdressers, barbers, nail bars, tattoo parlours & resturants etc etc ect.

This is despite infections in Georgia are on the increase and so are their deaths.

America is going to be absolutely fecked.

We're due to go to California in July and watching this very closely, although we would have in any case. Watching it unfold is like watching a car crash in slow motion. I hope to God that by some miracle they've called it right, I can't for the life of me see how, otherwise it could be disastrous

Just crazy

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

We're due to go to California in July and watching this very closely, although we would have in any case. Watching it unfold is like watching a car crash in slow motion. I hope to God that by some miracle they've called it right, I can't for the life of me see how, otherwise it could be disastrous

Just crazy

Are you saying you don't think there are people in the US trying to create a "market" for expensive medical care?

Trump said he doesn't care about people dying as long as the country gets back to making money.  Imagine what they are saying behind closed doors?

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Are you saying you don't think there are people in the US trying to create a "market" for expensive medical care?

Trump said he doesn't care about people dying as long as the country gets back to making money.  Imagine what they are saying behind closed doors?

No. What I'm saying is pretty clear to be honest. I have no views or opinion on your claim as I don't know enough about their 'system'. I do feel that Trump hasn't in the press briefings I've seen, come anywhere close enough to expressing the right level of sympathy and empathy for those most badly affected.

If he'd spent a fraction of the time and effort he'd spent on his presidential campaigning, talking about the victims in more than just numbers and soundbites. 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

You need to find the link direct to the picture, it normally ends with .jpg or similar

k9ham8tx90u41.jpg

16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You need to find the link direct to the picture, it normally ends with .jpg or similar

k9ham8tx90u41.jpg

Cheers Smithee

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

82rvx2fqu0u41.jpg

Sadly there will be many more who thought the same/similar as he did.

Several of those clowns we've seen in those videos over recent days will probably be dead in the next 4 - 8 weeks, but that's what it's gonna take for these nutters to take this thing seriously.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Several of those clowns we've seen in those videos over recent days will probably be dead in the next 4 - 8 weeks, but that's what it's gonna take for these nutters to take this thing seriously.

The most powerful country in the world and they can’t see of this virus.

It must really hurt them that all their weapons won’t defeat this.

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I guess I am just a pessimist but I am afraid that the way I see life now is that the bad don't seem to get punished for what they do or don't do its the poor individual that obeys the rules who seems to get caught out. I am really bitter just now, I have a new neighbour a Doctor, who is also a very religious man. He has broached the subject of my religious beliefs and tried to convert me. The other day we met and our conversation was opened with comments about the weather, I commented that it was a beautiful day, and he said yes it is and some day I will be in heaven with days like this for eternity, but you because you do not believe in Jesus will be in  hell for eternity, At no time have I said that I do not believe in Jesus, I do have questions, and have had no valid answers from those who are so devout.

23 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I guess I am just a pessimist but I am afraid that the way I see life now is that the bad don't seem to get punished for what they do or don't do its the poor individual that obeys the rules who seems to get caught out. I am really bitter just now, I have a new neighbour a Doctor, who is also a very religious man. He has broached the subject of my religious beliefs and tried to convert me. The other day we met and our conversation was opened with comments about the weather, I commented that it was a beautiful day, and he said yes it is and some day I will be in heaven with days like this for eternity, but you because you do not believe in Jesus will be in  hell for eternity, At no time have I said that I do not believe in Jesus, I do have questions, and have had no valid answers from those who are so devout.

So you have a nutter next door now. Sorry mate.

Jambo-Jimbo
20 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

You might be waiting for a while there Bob, they don't have any answers, you know this when they take the default stance of 'the Lord works in mysterious ways' or 'It's all part of God's plan' in other words they don't have a clue.

As for your neighbour, next time he says that he's going to heaven and your going to hell, just turn round and tell him, thank feck for that and here's me thinking I was going to have to put up with your religious crap for ever, just laugh, turn and walk away.

Sawdust Caesar
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nah, they will say the deep state had them murdered to shut them up and discredit their stance. They will then go out and buy more guns.

Jambo-Jimbo
28 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Nah, they will say the deep state had them murdered to shut them up and discredit their stance. They will then go out and buy more guns.

Nothing would surprise me with that lot anymore.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Cleaning up the gene pool, basically.

SwindonJambo
4 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Unfortunately they’ll take a lot of good people down with them. Medical professionals treating the infected have more exposure to the virus than anyone else and hundreds  of them have lost their lives while trying to help

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

Unfortunately they’ll take a lot of good people down with them. Medical professionals treating the infected have more exposure to the virus than anyone else and hundreds  of them have lost their lives while trying to help

Definitely, they could be done without Trump's alt-right crazies, putting them at greater risk.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

If ever there was a case supporting alien abductions and weird DNA altering experiments being carried out, Trumps base has to be it.

How can so many people be so thick and stupid all of the time, weird weird lot.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If ever there was a case supporting alien abductions and weird DNA altering experiments being carried out, Trumps base has to be it.

How can so many people be so thick and stupid all of the time, weird weird lot.

In fairness, there's probably nothing better to do in the back of beyond of the mid-west.

The Internet
22 minutes ago, Barack said:

"I'm not a Doctor."

"What have you got to lose?"

There needs to be a vicious inquiry into why he recommended this drug. 

Jambo-Jimbo
20 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

He probably seen some crackpot on Fox News or Info Wars going on about it.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

My recollection was that he had some kind of investment, albeit small, in a company that was producing it?

Edited by Dagger Is Back

23 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

He's going to take personal acclaim for saving millions of peoples lives, isn't he?

He already has.

16 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

My recollection was that he had some kind of investment, albeit small, in a company that was producing it?

They've purchased millions of hydroxy Chloroquine tablets. 

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, graygo said:

They've purchased millions of hydroxy Chloroquine tablets. 

Aye the more things change the more they stay the same. Draining the swamp didn't he once famously say?

J.T.F.Robertson

Sending Kim Jong Un his best wishes and for the umpteenth time reminding us that if not for him, the States would have already been at war with North Korea.

Where would we be without him. :rolleyes:

Dagger Is Back
5 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Sending Kim Jong Un his best wishes and for the umpteenth time reminding us that if not for him, the States would have already been at war with North Korea.

Where would we be without him. :rolleyes:

He is indeed the Messiah. 

Dagger Is Back

I thought we were in a bad place but the US are truly goosed

Chief Medical lady asked, how can you socially distance if you're opening nail salons, tattoo parlours, hairdressers

Blah blah, every community is different, I don't know but people are very creative

Wow just wow

J.T.F.Robertson
13 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I thought we were in a bad place but the US are truly goosed

Chief Medical lady asked, how can you socially distance if you're opening nail salons, tattoo parlours, hairdressers

Blah blah, every community is different, I don't know but people are very creative

Wow just wow

She's looking rougher by the day. Dancing with the devil might do that.

Dagger Is Back
7 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

She's looking rougher by the day. Dancing with the devil might do that.

Dancing with the devil? I like that She does actually. She can't surely believe the crap she's spouting?

Dagger Is Back

Take the pin out time

Trump notes the coronavirus emerged in the middle of his trade war with China, arguing no one has been tougher on China than him.

"And all of a sudden out of nowhere comes the invisible enemy," he says, referring to the pandemic.

He also told reporters: "We think we know where it [coronavirus] came from. We'll be talking about that, probably a lot."

Some US media have reported that US intelligence believes the virus leaked from a Wuhan virology facility with lax safety protocols, which China has denied. Trump told journalists he won't discuss intelligence briefings.

J.T.F.Robertson
19 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Dancing with the devil? I like that She does actually. She can't surely believe the crap she's spouting?

Neither does the "devil", doesn't stop him.

I watched the very attractive and highly intelligent Governor of Michigan on CNN tonight. She gave a very comprehensive outline of her intentions and what she will allow in the effort to reopen the State and resume not normal but more eased restrictions. It was nice to hear someone who had ideas what to do instead of a narcissist telling how he has successfully built a hundred and seventy miles of beautiful wall. Who sends tweets stating LIBERATE MICHIGAN his tweet was in all capital letters. Some cracks I would think from watching are appearing in the total agreement of his briefing group, the lady doctor who appears on the briefings hedged somewhat in her agreement with Trumps suggestions about opening the country to get the economy going again If you didn't know it was the greatest economy the world has ever seen, the greatest in Americas history, and I have to mention the gentleman who reminded us who, no he was responsible for it all. Its the man who is fighting a battle in a war against an invisible enemy, his references all seem to be war related the inference being that he is the general in charge of an army, I wonder I he was ever even in a physical battle when a kid at school or any other time in his life.

There was another girl from Georgia interviewed She is a hairdresser owns her own it sounded like one chair business. She stated she would not go along with Georgias governor allowing hairdressers tattoo parlours and such to open, She stated she is a single Mum, her business her sole source of support but she and she states most of the other hairdressers in her town will not open, as she states she cannot do her job keeping a six feet distance from her customer, and she will not do it if there is the slightest possibility with the virus being spread as a result of her activity. If I won the lottery I would send her enough to survive for a long time.

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, milky_26 said:

82rvx2fqu0u41.jpg

I guess the big guy has a limit to the taunting he'll take. Mine might have been a bit lower but all those capital letters would definitely have tipped me over the edge.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/us/missouri-lawsuit-china-coronavirus/index.html

If you can't bomb it or shoot it - sue it. USA USA USA

Brilliant, isn't it?

Sue an entire country for an outcome that could, in part, by having a serious human being as president?

Let's see how far they get.

I P Knightley
This came up on Facebook this morning and really helps me to understand my own feelings towards the man:

A response by Nate White to the question, "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?" :
A few things spring to mind.
Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.
For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.
So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump's limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.
Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever.
I don't say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.
But with Trump, it's a fact. He doesn't even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.
Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.
And scarily, he doesn't just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.
There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It's all surface.
Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.
Well, we don't. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.
And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.
Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.
He's not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.
He's more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.
And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.
That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.
There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down.
So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy' is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
• Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
• You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.
This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.
After all, it's impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.
God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.
He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.
In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.
And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:
'My God... what... have... I... created?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:
This came up on Facebook this morning and really helps me to understand my own feelings towards the man:

A response by Nate White to the question, "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?" :

👍

Dr Rick Bright a high positioned official in the Department of Health and human services was fired today for saying that the billions of dollars being spent on non scientifically proven drugs should stop. One of the drugs he specifically mentioned was 'Chloroquine which has been mentioned numerous times at briefings by President Trump as a life saver. Bright is not the first medical person I personally have heard caution that the drug is still not proven to be  a cure for Coronavirus . When asked about the dismissal today at the briefing Trump again when asked about something involving a senior person in a Department that has a negative connotation stated he had never heard of him doesn't know him.

Reports this evening suggest that Dr Bright is presently applying for Whistleblower status so that his termination and the reasons can be investigated.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)