U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

How Republican Leaders Helped an Election Lie Catch Fire | "Lies, Politics & Democracy" | FRONTLINE

Key party leaders allowed the lie that the 2020 election was stolen to take root, Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) and others tell FRONTLINE — part of a pattern of accommodating then-President Donald Trump stretching back years, the new documentary “Lies, Politics and Democracy” reports. Watch an excerpt.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lies, Politics and Democracy (full film) | FRONTLINE

In “Lies, Politics and Democracy,” FRONTLINE examines how officials fed the public lies about the 2020 presidential election and embraced rhetoric that led to political violence.

An epic examination of former President Donald Trump’s influence on the Republican Party, the documentary presents startling details from GOP insiders on how the indulgence of Trump’s authoritarian impulses and embrace of his rhetoric enabled his power over the American political system, leading the nation to a precarious moment in which most Republican voters now believe the lie that the 2020 election was stolen.

Told in part through the perspectives of key Republican players and party leaders, the two-hour special provides first-person accounts from those who sounded the alarm about Trump, and those whose warnings were minimized or silenced all along the way.

Looks like the DOJ are now going after Trumps post election fund raising activities. It would take a mathematician to calculate the charges racking up against him.

He collected $250 million after claiming it was to fight the stolen election result. But since there is nothing to fight because there is no stolen election and they know that, where does this money go? 

Why Trump Should Be Worried About DOJ's Probe Of His Post-Election Fundraising

Chris Hayes on the federal grand jury’s investigation into the Trump super PAC: “This new line of inquiry should inspire some worry in Trump's already over-stretched legal team.”

On 07/09/2022 at 16:13, Maple Leaf said:

When it comes to energy, Trump's feeble brain can't get beyond windmills.

Why on earth would he suddenly take an interest in the UK's nuclear secrets?

Maybe he was Put up to it

On 06/09/2022 at 12:04, dobmisterdobster said:

You can't jail a judge for doing his job. Whatever your opinion is on their ruling. This isn't a dictatorship.

I think you should be able to question their judgement when it has zero legal basis. I think you should be able to overrule them and even remove them for such a deviation from legal practice.

She basically said she was granting it because he was Trump, and that Trump should get special status. Zero legal reasoning. A judgement not a single legal expert says there is a single legal basis for. Not even Bill Barr. Her 'judgment' is an absurdity.

And aside from there being zero legal basis there's a critical ongoing national security hazard around these documents. With the DOJ hinting there might be even more documents still not recovered.

I'm not saying jail her, but she's clearly unfit to rule on this issue and should be reprimanded for her lack of professionalism. While there's a critical national security issue at stake. Just letting it fly is the road to dictatorship.

Interesting commentary on how many lawyers have potentially thrown away their careers and possibly their freedom on Trump. And how many more are potentially going to be disbarred/jailed.

It's dozens in total. It baffles me that these people are so incredibly ignorant.

I never even met Trump, they have. If Trump told me the sky was blue I would go outside to check. I never met him but given that I never have and I still know so much about how he's a pathological liar I'm baffled these lawyers don't know it. 

Seemingly don't know what I know from simply sitting in front of a PC. Everything he ever touches turns to shit, everybody knows he will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat. All of this been proven again and again over decades. Yet still these lawyers are that stupid?

Truly baffling.

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Interesting commentary on how many lawyers have potentially thrown away their careers and possibly their freedom on Trump. And how many more are potentially going to be disbarred/jailed.

It's dozens in total. It baffles me that these people are so incredibly ignorant.

I never even met Trump, they have. If Trump told me the sky was blue I would go outside to check. I never met him but given that I never have and I still know so much about how he's a pathological liar I'm baffled these lawyers don't know it. 

Seemingly don't know what I know from simply sitting in front of a PC. Everything he ever touches turns to shit, everybody knows he will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat. All of this been proven again and again over decades. Yet still these lawyers are that stupid?

Truly baffling.

I presume they're narcissists who see fame/notoriety in their future, and think that they're smarter than all those daft *******s that allowed themselves to get used

3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Is it old, new, fake or counter fake the MSNBC claim that Trump has claimed Queen Elizabeth knigted him in private?

he might have been confused and mistook the honorary knighthood that his (former?) lawyer rudy giuliani received in 2002

57 minutes ago, Cade said:

Non UK citizens can't be given knighthoods.

Yes and no. The knighthoods and damehoods that are given to non-Commonwealth citizens are honorary. Much the same as an ordinary knighthood/damehood but they can't, for example, use the pre-nominal Sir or Dame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_honorary_British_knights_and_dames

34 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yes and no. The knighthoods and damehoods that are given to non-Commonwealth citizens are honorary. Much the same as an ordinary knighthood/damehood but they can't, for example, use the pre-nominal Sir or Dame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_honorary_British_knights_and_dames

Geldolf? 

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Geldolf? 

Yup, honorary knighthood due to being an Irish citizen, so he can be referred to as Bob Geldof KBE, but can't officially call himself Sir Bob Geldof, although informally some refer to him in that way.

Edited by redjambo

28 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yup, honorary knighthood due to being an Irish citizen, so he can be referred to as Bob Geldof KBE, but can't officially call himself Sir Bob Geldof, although informally some refer to him in that way.

👍

While I enjoy these lying pieces of shit being demolished, this was such a demolition it was almost embarrassing to watch. Al Franken absolutely destroys Republican woman.

Remember back befoere the Ukrain invasion Putin had a filmed meeting with all his head guys. Asking each if tehy agreed he should annexe Ukrainian territory and he came to his spy master whose name was Sergei I recall.

Sergei didn't want to say what Putin wanted him to say, was trying to say something else. Till Putin interjected and left him stammering and mumbling. It was uncomfortable to watch in a sense. Watch what happens here.

Al Franken BREAKS THE INTERNET, humiliates Republican who lies to his face

The Real Maroonblood
21 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Is it old, new, fake or counter fake the MSNBC claim that Trump has claimed Queen Elizabeth knigted him in private?

:rofl:
If the Queen had a sword I could imagine what she would like to do with in his presence.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:
If the Queen had a sword I could imagine what she would like to do with in his presence.

Trump couldn't spell knighthood. If he were to write down such a claim himself or maybe tweet it or truth it or whatever the hell he does every time he lies the result would look something like

"the qween knitted me"

‘Trump Has Attacked The Institutions Of Civil Society’: Expert On New Barr DOJ Allegations

William Barr was the “chief architect” of Donald Trump’s politicization of the Department of Justice former U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman alleges. Joy Reid and her panel discuss Berman’s allegations that Trump wanted Barr to put his thumb on the scales of justice and go after Trump's political rivals.

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Meanwhile, that feckin reptile Lindsey Graham is trying to get a nation-wide abortion ban bill through both Houses.

100% he will never need to worry about getting a woman pregnant.

A Louisiana woman bearing a fetus with no skull has had to travel to New York to get care.

Forced birth laws are nothing but state-enforced cruelty.

A closer look at the FBI seizing the phones of two Trump aides and issuing 40 subpoenas as the Justice Department intensifies its various investigations of Trump and his allies, including MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell.

10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A closer look at the FBI seizing the phones of two Trump aides and issuing 40 subpoenas as the Justice Department intensifies its various investigations of Trump and his allies, including MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell.

They're getting closer and closer to the man himself. Even if they never actually close the noose on him personally, they can eviscerate his secondary circle and make him toxic to work with.

2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

They're getting closer and closer to the man himself. Even if they never actually close the noose on him personally, they can eviscerate his secondary circle and make him toxic to work with.

Just stopping the rancid buffoon from ever being president again would be a huge win for democracy.  Anything more would be a bonus.

9 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I think that on one level Trump is the only target, they're picking off the soldiers and the capos clearing a path to the don. It's obvious how completely corrupt and morally bankrupt this twisted orange abscess  is, everybody knows it even those supporting him. Shame on them.

If Liz Cheney has anything to do with it, and I believe she has input, he's going down because what he has done is unforgivable, beyond the pale even for Cheney who prior to Jan 6th had supported Trump over 90% of the time.

And I feel if she hadn't taken the side of sanity the investigation wouldn't have anything like the gravitas someone like her gives it. She could very well be the smartest the Republicans have, and she's the one they're shunning, like authoritarians taking out the intelligentsia of a nation.

Seems Mark Meadows is responding to the DOJ subpoena becoming the highest ranking Trump official to comply. If he lies he could go to jail, will he do that for Trump?

He knows damning shit according to Cassidy Hutchinson, damning shit that links Trump directly to an attempt to overthrow the government. Which we all already know beyond a shadow of doubt he tried to do.

This farce of dancing around him indefinitely has to stop, and I think it will but I believe they're tying every tiny knot first. This may be the most investigated crime spree in history and will produce a staggering ocean of evidence that would have been impossible in an earlier time. Even just a few decades ago.

It's recently come to light that they have a whole 6 months of CCTV surveillance of this 'storage room' where Trump was stashing illegally held classified documents. They will see everyone who went in and out of that room for 6 months.

In addition it's been revealed that they have a trove of text messages and emails never mentioned before, not clear if this is the texts that were supposedly deleted by the secret service. Capos will begin to spill their guts when the threat of real jail time is dangled, they're going to crucify Trump in court.

What will become of it who knows but I think at a bare minimum ML will get what he desires, a Trump barred from ever running for any office. But for me that's not enough, they really need to make some sort of example out of him. How I don't know.

Seth Meyers is a genius at illustrating the absurdity of this entire situation.

Seth takes a closer look at Mark Meadows complying with the Justice Department's subpoena, making him the highest-ranking Trump official so far to respond to a federal subpoena in the criminal investigation of the attempted coup on January 6.

Mark Meadows Complies with DOJ Subpoena; Brett Favre Scandal Texts Revealed: A Closer Look

14 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think that on one level Trump is the only target, they're picking off the soldiers and the capos clearing a path to the don. It's obvious how completely corrupt and morally bankrupt this twisted orange abscess  is, everybody knows it even those supporting him. Shame on them.

If Liz Cheney has anything to do with it, and I believe she has input, he's going down because what he has done is unforgivable, beyond the pale even for Cheney who prior to Jan 6th had supported Trump over 90% of the time.

And I feel if she hadn't taken the side of sanity the investigation wouldn't have anything like the gravitas someone like her gives it. She could very well be the smartest the Republicans have, and she's the one they're shunning, like authoritarians taking out the intelligentsia of a nation.

Seems Mark Meadows is responding to the DOJ subpoena becoming the highest ranking Trump official to comply. If he lies he could go to jail, will he do that for Trump?

He knows damning shit according to Cassidy Hutchinson, damning shit that links Trump directly to an attempt to overthrow the government. Which we all already know beyond a shadow of doubt he tried to do.

This farce of dancing around him indefinitely has to stop, and I think it will but I believe they're tying every tiny knot first. This may be the most investigated crime spree in history and will produce a staggering ocean of evidence that would have been impossible in an earlier time. Even just a few decades ago.

It's recently come to light that they have a whole 6 months of CCTV surveillance of this 'storage room' where Trump was stashing illegally held classified documents. They will see everyone who went in and out of that room for 6 months.

In addition it's been revealed that they have a trove of text messages and emails never mentioned before, not clear if this is the texts that were supposedly deleted by the secret service. Capos will begin to spill their guts when the threat of real jail time is dangled, they're going to crucify Trump in court.

What will become of it who knows but I think at a bare minimum ML will get what he desires, a Trump barred from ever running for any office. But for me that's not enough, they really need to make some sort of example out of him. How I don't know.

The problem is that if you're going after a former President that 35% of the country thinks had it stolen from him, you don't go hunting with birdshot. From the latest subpoenas, it looks like they're casting a wide net among all his lawyers and advisors. His defence will always end up being, I was just doing what the lawyers were telling me. If you get enough evidence that he was actually running the show the whole time, you can bring the man himself down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/09/15/trump-january-6-subpoenas-meadows/

Dozens of subpoenas issued last week show that the Justice Department is seeking vast amounts of information, and communications with more than 100 people, as part of its sprawling inquiry into the origins, fundraising and motives of the effort to block Joe Biden from being certified as president in early 2021.

The subpoenas, three of which were reviewed by The Washington Post, are far-reaching, covering 18 separate categories of information, including any communications the recipients had with scores of people in six states where supporters of then-President Donald Trump sought to promote “alternate” electors to replace electors in those states won by Biden.

One request is for any communications “to, from, or including” specific people tied to such efforts in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Most of the names listed were proposed fake electors in those states, while a small number were Trump campaign officials who organized the slates.

Taken together, the subpoenas show an investigation that began immediately after the storming of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and has cast an ever-widening net, even as it gathers information about those in the former president’s inner circle.

The warrant authorizing the search of former president Donald Trump’s home said agents were seeking documents possessed in violation of the Espionage Act. (Video: Adriana Usero/The Washington Post)

“It looks like a multipronged fraud and obstruction investigation,” said Jim Walden, a former federal prosecutor. “It strikes me that they’re going after a very, very large group of people, and my guess is they are going to make all of the charging decisions toward the end.”

After being told the various categories of information sought in the indictment, Walden noted the focus on wide categories of communications among the individuals. He said he suspected it was part of a prosecutorial strategy to try to blunt any claims that Trump activists were just following the advice of lawyers in seeking to block the certification of Biden’s victory.

“It’s hard to say you were just relying on all these lawyers if there are text chains showing conspirator conversations, or consciousness of guilt,” Walden said.

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The problem is that if you're going after a former President that 35% of the country thinks had it stolen from him.

I agree, they're taking their time covering all angles to make sure there's no escape route for the rat.

But most of that 35% don't think that, most of them know it's a lie, and I don't care what they want. Around 35% of the population voted for the Nazis in the last free election before dictatorship.

And to try to be fair to those people they really did have serious issues back then. These maga freaks do not, they're closer to being actual Nazi's than the vast majority of the people who elected Hitler ever were.

In addition, i'm never going to take seriously a 35% this stupid,  asking why Obama wasn't in the oval office on 9/11, over 6 years before he was elected to the oval office. This is how stupid the current crop are about Biden.

6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

If you get enough evidence that he was actually running the show the whole time, you can bring the man himself down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/09/15/trump-january-6-subpoenas-meadows/

Spot on.

The approach has been slow and steady. It's building details/facts piece by piece, rechecking and reviewing testimony to build the case to show Trump sought out people to help make his case. 

Mark Meadows (I suspect) will have provided significant information over and above the subpoena requirements in return for clemency (IMO).

Mike Lindell told the world he ran everything out of his phone - the forensics will take time but eventually put him in front of a judge or other suspects. 

As for the Special Master work taking place - I would be surprised if the US DoJ hasn't already put together a 1 page fact sheet on each document to speed up the review. I expect the SM process should be rapid if the DoJ have put the work in. 

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

As for the Special Master work taking place - I would be surprised if the US DoJ hasn't already put together a 1 page fact sheet on each document to speed up the review. I expect the SM process should be rapid if the DoJ have put the work in.

The ruling by that judge is absolutely absurd, has zero legal basis, and I believe her insane subversion will be reversed by the appeal next week. This is actually disturbing to me, the judiciary has been infiltrated by an anti law anti democratic cult centred around Trump. She made that absolutely obvious.

It's interfering with an investigation around classified documents with the highest level of security. The very lives of Americans and allies are at risk and there has to be a way to something about the likes of her. She's not making legal rulings, she's simply assisting the great leader. And it's obvious.

DOJ Corners Trump As 'Newspaper Clippings' Defense Shredded By Stolen Doc Photos

Unlike Ukraine the USA would defend Taiwan from China.

Yes replied a glass eyed president not fit for office.

Oh what a hoot the American political scene is.

The greatest American president this century and beyond according to a poster on here @Led Tasso

1 hour ago, Ked said:

Unlike Ukraine the USA would defend Taiwan from China.

Yes replied a glass eyed president not fit for office.

Oh what a hoot the American political scene is.

The greatest American president this century and beyond according to a poster on here @Led Tasso

Lying is not becoming, sir.

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Lying is not becoming, sir.

You'll find that with Jake. He'll be on certain threads talking about respect, whilst simultaneously disrespecting on another.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

You'll find that with Jake. He'll be on certain threads talking about respect, whilst simultaneously disrespecting on another.

Oh, that's jake! I thought his posting style looked familiar. I stayed off of JKB for a couple of years during the pandemic because I was too busy trying to watch the kids and keep a job, so I missed that switch.

This is a significant piece of damning breaking news for Trump. A former Whitehouse counsel has stated that he informed Trump over a year ago, after Trump was no longer President, that if he didn't return these documents he could be in deep shit.

So Trump was told by a legal expert that just having these documents at all was illegal, and refusing to return them could be catastrophic for him.

And here we are, despite being told this over a year ago, then getting multiple subpoenas demanding he return the documents, he refused. And repeatedly lied about even having them, or, his lawyers did.

The fact he had been informed this was highly illegal demonstrates criminal intent.

One of the things these asshats representing Trump will try to say is well he just didn't know what he was doing was illegal, thought they were his. This guys testimony obliterates that line.

And this guy will pull no punches, seen him before making statements about the lawyer Eastman who I think came up with the illegal scheme to have Pence nix the election.

Trump’s Chances Of Indictment May Have ‘Skyrocketed’

10 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Oh, that's jake! I thought his posting style looked familiar. I stayed off of JKB for a couple of years during the pandemic because I was too busy trying to watch the kids and keep a job, so I missed that switch.

Im also zed according to Mr Alban.

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Please point out the disrespect .

5 minutes ago, Ked said:

Please point out the disrespect .

First off let me say that in these posts I accused you of being a Fox news fan. That was clearly wrong—now that I realize you're jake, I remember your general outlook and posting style, and I realize that's not who you are. It doesn't make you're absolute conviction that Biden is at the level of cognitive dysfunction that, say, Reagan was at by the end of his term anything more than heresay and a right wing media talking point, but that doesn't mean you got it off of Fox News.

It's also not a "slur" to say someone watches Fox News. It's the most watched cable news network in the country, and a good 20%-30% of Americans regularly consume it or something else in the right wing media ecosystem. If you proffer right wing talking points, it's hardly a bad assumption that you consume right wing media outlets.

Having said that, this is disrespect and a complete misrepresentation of the posts you were responding to.

On 24/08/2022 at 13:40, Ked said:

If you honestly think Bidens fit for the presidency not only given his current mental capacity but his record as a US political heavyweight and especially his actual political outlook and the things he has voted on then you deserve all the shite you get.

And please grow up .

The slurs of fox news daily mail or knowing people who watch it don't wash .

I hold conservative views that are nowhere near as right wing as Bidens .

His are there for the record.

And they ate hardly admirable.

Bidens nearly as embarrassing as Trump and your desperate attempts for whatever reason say to me you are party loyal instead of truthful.

His administration maybe doing things I doubt he's leading anything.

On 24/08/2022 at 14:29, Ked said:

No because you tried to make out along with JFK-1 I'm a trump fan of and uneducated fox news daily mail with friends who share the same views I'm calling you out.

He's a fekin disaster of a representation of the US.

But your black and white polarised good or bad pitiful political outlook means immediate shite argument.

His record in politics shows what he is but you blindly defend him.

I'm looking for something a bit better than you.

I'm not content with shite politics shite religious beliefs.

Stroll on led in your superior self importance.

And therez plenty I can cite about how shite a leader Biden is.

You put him on a pedestal all you want.

On 24/08/2022 at 14:34, Ked said:

Fox newsjunkies.

Fek off you absolute dafty.

On 24/08/2022 at 14:35, Ked said:

Most serious democrats know what Biden is.

Punch and Judy political argument is not for me.

Now, you can argue that disrespect was deserved. Certainly I'm not afraid to throw a rhetorical elbow myself if I think someone's posting shite, or in the case of the posts above, I think someone is shoving an opinion into my mouth which is not even close to what I am clearly saying. But to post those and then claim the high road is simply hypocrisy.

The Special Master that the Trump team got by driving thousands of miles to get from an unqualified judge appointed at the very end of his tenure just told him to show evidence of declassification or he'd consider them all still classified.

Hilarious.

No one on this thread I have seen puts Biden on a pedestal, but that's exactly what those indoctrinated by the wackos at Fox would say. And would also say he's senile which is as absurd as Trump is a very stable genius.

Thus, those talking that utter pish, are deriving it from Fox or something akin to it.  

9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

No one on this thread I have seen puts Biden on a pedestal, but that's exactly what those indoctrinated by the wackos at Fox would say. And would also say he's senile which is as absurd as Trump is a very stable genius.

Thus, those talking that utter pish, are deriving it from Fox or something akin to it.  

As a regular Fox viewer and as I have said in the past I do so based on the old saying keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I agree with your comments, the only thing I would say and its not based on anything I have seen at Fox  I don't think I could ever see myself putting Biden on a pedestal.My own opinion is that Biden is showing his age I do have some doubts about his abilities, but I think he has enough competent support to get the job done. I would though suggest if not his VP that they start to introduce whomever they see as their candidate for the next Presidential election soon. Trump is making lots of noise, but and as an elderly person I think I can say returning Trump to the Presidency would be replacing one old past it politician with another old but has never really been a politician Trump

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

As a regular Fox viewer and as I have said in the past I do so based on the old saying keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I agree with your comments, the only thing I would say and its not based on anything I have seen at Fox  I don't think I could ever see myself putting Biden on a pedestal.My own opinion is that Biden is showing his age I do have some doubts about his abilities, but I think he has enough competent support to get the job done. I would though suggest if not his VP that they start to introduce whomever they see as their candidate for the next Presidential election soon. Trump is making lots of noise, but and as an elderly person I think I can say returning Trump to the Presidency would be replacing one old past it politician with another old but has never really been a politician Trump

I think Biden has simply never been a good speaker, but that has zero effect on his ability to direct policy. As a Fox viewer what would they say about this if it were Biden?

Video primed to start at the significant moment.

9 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The Special Master that the Trump team got by driving thousands of miles to get from an unqualified judge appointed at the very end of his tenure just told him to show evidence of declassification or he'd consider them all still classified.

Hilarious.

Trump Is Facing A Judge Who's Not Playing Games

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)