What is wrong with us?

tartofmidlothian

1 minute ago, Jambo diehard said:

Uncle Buck, that's a fair point today, that said he needs to tailor his tactics to suit the line up and tactical approach? 

3 centre back comment was a bit strange. Almost as if he doesn’t realise we played a 4-2-3-1 today. On the flip side we were forced to play a winger at left back. Not that I’m defending us, we were ****ing dreadful today. Too many big players went missing. The only two that had decent games were Dikamona and Djoum.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• H2

• Taffin

• tartofmidlothian

• Jambo diehard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everything is rotten on the football side within the club. Probably a number of reasons with this is the case. The vanacek shambles sums it all up. We have no obvious style of play for any opposition. St mirren were well worth their point and had a clear pattern of play and all players, subs included knoe2 what they were doing. Levein can't get all blame when he barely takes any training sessions. We are rank amateur on things like throw ins. It's simply unacceptable.

Walter Bishop

What is wrong with us? 

Our manager sets up every week to not be beaten. 

Our captain is finished. 

We have no central midfield. 

We have no pace. 

We have 0 creative players in our whole squad. 

Have i missed anything?

Edited by Walter Bishop

2 minutes ago, Australis...... said:

They look like a team at the end of the season looking forward to a holiday and with nothing to play for.

None of them is interested, lack of urgency sprung to mind with me too, and so many long balls just getting hoofed to the forwards.

You wonder what they do in training each day, I would go as far to say I thought some of them may have fallen out with Levein it looked so bad today again. If I turned up at my work with that attitude my bosses would read me the riot act.

Total lack of motivation between the whole lot of them again today, 

Levein potters about in the background until the Thurs/Fri with training hosted by the coaches earlier in the week. I know he's involved in a lot at the club, but maybe too much...

A fresh personality is needed to head the first team, things won't improve if we stick with Levein next season. Seen enough repetition now.

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You don't agree. That's okay. I fail to see how it is out of order though. Ann has been amazing for us but we'll never win anything on the pitch under her.

to say that the owner is "more interested in Fun days" is out of order and not true in any way shape or form.

It is easy to be critical about what the club can or can't do under her ownership, but that wasn't part of what your original post said.

1 minute ago, Walter Bishop said:

What is wrong with us? 

Our captain is finished. 

We have no pace. 

Have i missed anything?

Goalkeepers

A_A wehatethehibs

One thing I am going to say in Leveins defence is, he could not legislate for what’s happened to Berra.

Unfortunately for me it looks like Christophe's career might be over. 

Jambo diehard

Aye Buck the LB and RB positions need looked at, injuries, and loss of form aside the way CL appears to want to play could really do with FBs that can gallop on and double up with wide players? Still Celtic Wednesday, be a great game to turn it around ?

It is right that responsibility is put in Levein, but McPhee also needs to share blame.   He has been a constant since Cathro arrived.  

I have said it a few times now, but we are told how he is this great tactician who can read opponents well, and can exploit their weaknesses.   Has he ever actually done that?    Seems the opposite to me, far more often.  

1 minute ago, H2 said:

to say that the owner is "more interested in Fun days" is out of order and not true in any way shape or form.

It is easy to be critical about what the club can or can't do under her ownership, but that wasn't part of what your original post said.

Well she clearly isn't interested in the offering on the field is she?

She hired Levein and has overseen the Cathro debacle and now the Levein debacle. Only one person can make the change and she hasn't done it. From that I can only assume she is happy with what is being served up and that is because imo she's more interested in things like family fun days.

I mean c'mon, a grease and dirty dancing night? Get a grip.

tartofmidlothian
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

One thing I am going to say in Leveins defence is, he could not legislate for what’s happened to Berra.

He's still got a lot to give, but he isn't the rock that he was until his injury.

HeartofHartley

Well when Jon Daly - a huddy- is a first team coach, and a dinosaur is in charge followed by MacPhee who only God knows is still at the club and has achieved nout. Then that could be a major reason?? Throw them all out not just the gaffer.

5 minutes ago, kila said:

Levein potters about in the background until the Thurs/Fri with training hosted by the coaches earlier in the week. I know he's involved in a lot at the club, but maybe too much...

A fresh personality is needed to head the first team, things won't improve if we stick with Levein next season. Seen enough repetition now.

Presumably he spends most of the week overseeing the conveyor built of young players filling our first team squad..

Talking of which has anyone seen proof of life for Harry Cochrane this year?

Captain Canada

Those 18 players we signed haven't really made any significant difference to how mediocre we are under Levein. 

He doesn't have the Cathro or Murrayfield excuses this season either. 

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Well she clearly isn't interested in the offering on the field is she?

She hired Levein and has overseen the Cathro debacle and now the Levein debacle. Only one person can make the change and she hasn't done it. From that I can only assume she is happy with what is being served up and that is because imo she's more interested in things like family fun days.

I mean c'mon, a grease and dirty dancing night? Get a grip.

Forget the red herrings, go back to your original point which is out of order.

Question -  do you really believe that Ann Budge is more interested in Fun days? I mean really?

and 

Do you really believe Ann Budge "Cleary isn't interested in the offering on the field" ?

This is how we lined up this week, is there any surprise we struggle to make chances? Our oppenents just need to flood the central midfield and they stop us from making chances and when it comes to attacking they just need try and run around Berra which isn’t exactly hard nowadays.

B70B1522-0C1D-452F-94ED-8CAA2D2D1AC0.jpeg

Edited by Uche Gang

3 minutes ago, H2 said:

Forget the red herrings, go back to your original point which is out of order.

Question -  do you really believe that Ann Budge is more interested in Fun days? I mean really?

and 

Do you really believe Ann Budge "Cleary isn't interested in the offering on the field" ?

I don't know her so I can only base it on her actions. So far she seems delighted with what her hire has delivered, so yes, I think she's more interested in fun days otherwise surely she would have voice displeasure or made a change.

There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not slating her, she's the owner and it is entirely her prerogative. It's not what I want for Hearts though. I want us to win first and foremost and the rest to follow. I won't apologise for that.

Edit: I'd also add this is a thread asking what is wrong with us. I'm perfectly entitled to voice what I think is wrong with us. Should it change? Not necessarily as I'm just one person. Would I change it? Yes.

Edited by Taffin

24 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Who would you have played at right back today? Just interested to know.

Godinho would have been fine in a flat back 4.

siegementality
2 minutes ago, sidjamesbottle said:

we are slow in everything we do, from throw ins to free kicks to passing

The same was said under Cathro. Maybe the style of play under Cathro was being dictated by someone else?

Because you aren’t good at press conferences doesn’t mean you are not a good coach. Cathro seems to be doing well at a Wolves team punching well about their weight.

Just saying!

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't know her so I can only base it on her actions. So far she seems delighted with what her hire has delivered, so yes, I think she's more interested in fun days otherwise surely she would have voice displeasure or made a change.

There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not slating her, she's the owner and it is entirely her prerogative. It's not what I want for Hearts though. I want us to win first and foremost and the rest to follow. I won't apologise for that.

Her actions have demonstrated beyond doubt that she is very interested in our football club.

You say you don't know her, you also won't know what actions she has taken or what displeasure she has voiced internally. 

Don't you believe that Ann Budge wants us to win every game?

She is every bit as much a Hearts supporter as you or any of us are.

To suggest she is "more interested in fun days" and "not interested in offering on the field", are highly critical statements and are simply not true.

cardboardcutout

Watching English football and CL let’s you see players who look like they have a job and a structure they know and are comfortable within in it!!  We NEVER look like that and I just do not know what we do in training!! It’s baffling and ultimately must be the management/motivation is just not working!!

28 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Why not?  He is the manager.   He coaches him, he still picks him.    He is also responsible if we can’t not pick him due not to having a replacement.  

Berra’s poor form may be unexpected, but it is Levein’s job to do something about it. 

14 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Godinho would have been fine in a flat back 4.

I’m sure he would have. Is he not injured though? Not even in the squad.

cardboardcutout
38 minutes ago, Jambo diehard said:

Ffs why we go with one up top against teams like the Saints is abysmal, we should be looking to not only beat teams like them but score a few, get the crowd onside and go for it, if he wants the ball in the box directly fair enough but use overlapping fullbacks, in fact just use proper fullbacks? 

Whatever happened to 4-3-3! Make the lesser opposition worry about stopping you scoring or 4-4-2! The fact we look like a 3-5-1-1 without a clue what that actually is! 

As always, it's a combination of things, but for me the most important thing we lacked today was mobility off the ball. When the other team have all 11 in their own half, any pass we make will be closed down immediately, so our players can't stand and wait, they have to be hard to defend against, making runs, creating angles, playing one-twos, being smart with limited space.

I don't actually think our shape was the problem, we just didn't play that well and my concern now is losing the confidence to play the game we need to. 

Berra looked shaky, Souttar is good at reading the game defensively but was poor at reading the game going forward, his passes always seem to be intercepted. I thought Mulraney did ok and I have hope for him, but Morrison really struggles to get a good cross in. 

Naismith and Haring are great at winning 50/50s and using the ball intelligently in tight situations, but that's a game that needs the other team's midfield competing instead of them holding their shape, defending and countering in bursts. Lee could be good, the passer in the middle, but he didn't suit the game today at all.

We have players who can play well but right now they're not shining. I still think that the core of the team is very sturdy for the first time in a while and I just hope we click soon. 

Yeah I know, tl;dr

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

We've got the quality right through the team, but there's no urgency, little movement off the ball, no fight. That's the last few games now, we're like new drivers scared of getting out of third gear.

We can only play at one tempo and teams know it. We also have that overplay it syndrome many teams have. Very few guys stepping up to the mark and the ones that do try to don't quite have the quality to 

8 minutes ago, H2 said:

Her actions have demonstrated beyond doubt that she is very interested in our football club.

You say you don't know her, you also won't know what actions she has taken or what displeasure she has voiced internally. 

Don't you believe that Ann Budge wants us to win every game?

She is every bit as much a Hearts supporter as you or any of us are.

To suggest she is "more interested in fun days" and "not interested in offering on the field", are highly critical statements and are simply not true.

That's your opinion.

You've no idea whether is true or not. Usually owners interested in winning don't tolerate years of failure.

I'm sick of arguing with you though, this thread is about what's wrong with us not what's right with us. Go and start a thread praising the set up if you feel so strongly about it.

I hate to say it because I’ve defended him to the hilt all season but it’s Levein. Even with players missing dropping points to bottom of the table garbage with a -35 goal difference without even looking threatening is totally unacceptable.

I have a ton of respect for Levein, he’s a club icon and I appreciate everything he’s done for us but next season we need a fresh face running things. This squad is seriously underperforming and the blame for that falls at his door.

25 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's your opinion.

You've no idea whether is true or not. Usually owners interested in winning don't tolerate years of failure.

I'm sick of arguing with you though, this thread is about what's wrong with us not what's right with us. Go and start a thread praising the set up if you feel so strongly about it.

If you are sick arguing then stop, no one is forcing you.

The bottom line is you have made statements which even you know are not true.
I don't need you to tell me to start threads thanks, believe it or not, I can decide that all on my own.

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

What is wrong with us? 

Our captain is finished. 

We have no pace. 

Have i missed anything?

Yep, no wingers or width either.

Just now, micole said:

If there is one thing that really boils my pish ,why oh why do we have 11 men back for a corner ,we were even doing it against Talbot FFS!!.

Completely correct. No other team does this but we persist with this consistently and leaves us with absolutely no out ball.

42 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I’m sure he would have. Is he not injured though? Not even in the squad.

Honestly don't know mate.  But this is one of my issues with Levein in that some players just seem to come in from nowhere and then disappear again after doing little wrong.  Cochrane seems to get this treatment and it can't do the players confidence any good.

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

Dreadful tactics.  Playing 3 centre backs at home in a fixture like that is unacceptable.  Players look lost most of the time.  Levein seems to have learned nothing.

We played 4-3-3. Souttar right back and Mulraney left back. Unfortunately Souttar isn't a right back and Mulraney is shit. Bizarrely we chose to play Lee as one of the front 3, especially in the first half, rather than Clare. Totally disjointed performance.

No urgency, scared of football, negative tactics, lack of sparkle...the list is a lengthy one. The most frustrating thing for me is that we've been like this for a long time now but CL can't, or won't, change the approach. 

Wednesday won't be pleasant but nor, in all likelihood, will the following Monday. PT have had a poor season in the Championship, but our approach will be fear ridden and the performance will be mediocre, at best, or bloody awful. 

Our performance levels, in most games, are honking.

Dispiriting stuff and with no end in sight. 

3 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

We played 4-3-3. Souttar right back and Mulraney left back. Unfortunately Souttar isn't a right back and Mulraney is shit. Bizarrely we chose to play Lee as one of the front 3, especially in the first half, rather than Clare. Totally disjointed performance.

I was actually unaware we were suppose to be playing a flat back four.  It was that much of a shambles.

1 hour ago, viva hate said:

Thought we had the key early on when Mulraney seemed to be spare most of the time but because we were so slow and he is so pish it just didn't materialise. If the substitutions had been better I think we would have won that, Morrisson was unbelievably bad when he came on. 

Does this not answer the op’s question? We are not very good. We really don’t have that many good players. And if guys like Mulramey and Morrison are anywhere near the first team at Tynie, then we are what we are , a middle of the league team who are dire to watch. 

The Bookkeeper
2 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

We've got the quality right through the team, but there's no urgency, little movement off the ball, no fight. That's the last few games now, we're like new drivers scared of getting out of third gear.

We don't have quality right through the team. So there is that for starters. 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

You don't agree. That's okay. I fail to see how it is out of order though. Ann has been amazing for us but we'll never win anything on the pitch under her.

I am still waiting for her to ban the guys in the section who refuse to sit down.  She said she would and has not.  That is a massive fail in my book.

Or have I missed something with that issue?

Just now, Randy Marsh said:

I was actually unaware we were suppose to be playing a flat back four.  It was that much of a shambles.

I agree. Haring, and it was great to see him back, held things together. As soon as he went off it went totally pear shaped. Why Clare was playing behind Lee is just one of the many mysteries we will never solve.

Whilst I agree we need a change of manager, I also think many on here are guilty of overrating some of our players. In my opinion we have a select few good players and a whole lot more who are bang average at best.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This.

As much as we love Berra, if that was another team’s centre half we’d be ripping the piss out of him.  The injury has taken away his mobility and even his heading ability is going to shit.