Aitken article

LSS

Mike Aitken's article in today's Scotsman

From the Heart. Great piece.

The way Frail is treated is inescusable. It's the way the fans are treated.

Irrespective of anyones views on his ability as an interim manager, it is not on.

Spot on IMO

heartsfc_fan

IMO I hope Frail doesn't get booted out. Give him something like the "under 19" coach job or whatever.

Glamorgan Jambo

I also totally agree with the article.

I'm not that bothered he got moved on but the way it appears it happened after he was the face of the Romanov regime for so long was pretty gutless and insensitive.

I wonder if Campbell Ogilvie will do the decent thing after the manager with 'significant experience of British football' is not appointed.

Francis Albert

Yes, the lost traditions of our once great club. I remember the disgust that followed the abrupt sacking of Tommy Walker when he went a couple of years without winning a trophy. After all he'd only managed two league titles, four league cups and a big cup in seven or eight years. Not even offered a place on the Board or some other "kick upstairs". Stevie Frail is hard done by?

Ray Winstone

As I have said - despite the fact that the way Frail has been treated is dispicable he has void any right he had to our sympathy by consistantly pulling the wool over our eyes - telling us he is in sole charge etc etc - bigging up players that were rank etc etc.

The man should have walked - but he stayed and turned himself into a laughing stock.

Glamorgan Jambo
Yes, the lost traditions of our once great club. I remember the disgust that followed the abrupt sacking of Tommy Walker when he went a couple of years without winning a trophy. After all he'd only managed two league titles, four league cups and a big cup in seven or eight years. Not even offered a place on the Board or some other "kick upstairs". Stevie Frail is hard done by?

That's not what the article is on about and you know that very well. Within the last 7 days we were told Stevie Frail was taking pre-season then he turns up and gets treated without one iota of respect or decency, and with a fair bit of humiliation thrown in. It's not a way to reward his 'misplaced' loyalty to the club and it's owner.

Fair comment abour Tommy Walker, but in those days winning trophies was what it was all about. I don't rate Frail but the way he was treated is unnacceptable from any employer. Turn up for your work and get sent home. Total humiliation.

The man deserved an explaination or at the very least, a phone call the night before.

The way Shaggy has been treated is the last straw for me , regardless of what he achieved (or not) as a manager , I'm sure he had a passion for the club not bettered since Burley was sacked. The handling of his 'termination' is an utter disgrace.

Vlad , Rodney and the rest of his motley crew are an affront to human dignity.

There is no morality , no values worthy of the name of HMFC.

We're just a tinpot plaything of a megalomaniac who doesn't give a F about the club , the fans , his own standing in Scotland.

Hopefully Shaggy has not signed a gagging order as I'd gladly pay to read his book on his time in penal servitude in the Gorgie Archipleilgo.

Boaby Ewing

Weasel words.

I didn't want Frail as manager.

But I didn't want him to be treated like something stuck to the bottom of Vlad's dancing shoes.

Hearts might not always have had a proud history, but the cumulative effects of Vlad's decisions have made sure we're an embarrassment in the present.

Weasel words.

I didn't want Frail as manager.

But I didn't want him to be treated like something stuck to the bottom of Vlad's dancing shoes.

Hearts might not always have had a proud history, but the cumulative effects of Vlad's decisions have made sure we're an embarrassment in the present.

I think that's rather harsh but otherwise I totally agree.

Roll up ! Roll up !

Come and 'manage' Hearts and get shat on from a great height.

I'm absolutely disgusted at SF's treatment - and , no , I didn't want him as a manager in the first pace either.

Francis Albert
That's not what the article is on about and you know that very well.

It's not about the treatment of employees? It's the suggestion that Hearts deserve a reputation as exemplars in this area that I am complaining about.

Auld Reekin'

Just because, for every example of managerial ineptitude, dishonesty, disingenuousness or downright insanity that anyone raises about Hearts just now, an apparently even worse example can be quoted from the club's past doesn't make what is happening now acceptable.

Francis Albert
Just because, for every example of managerial ineptitude, dishonesty, disingenuousness or downright insanity that anyone raises about Hearts just now, an apparently even worse example can be quoted from the club's past doesn't make what is happening now acceptable.

I didn't say it was, I just find the pretence that Hearts pre-Vlad represented some sort of Garden of Eden innocence and honour laughable.

:bravo:

Only a Game
As I have said - despite the fact that the way Frail has been treated is dispicable he has void any right he had to our sympathy by consistantly pulling the wool over our eyes - telling us he is in sole charge etc etc - bigging up players that were rank etc etc.

The man should have walked - but he stayed and turned himself into a laughing stock.

I agree. The man took the cash at the expense of his dignity and allowed himself to be walked all over. Turned a blind eye whilst other people at the club were treated in the same way and paid his mortgage with dirty money.

He was weak.

He was warned.

He should have seen it coming but buried his head in the sand.

Sheriff Fatman
I didn't say it was, I just find the pretence that Hearts pre-Vlad represented some sort of Garden of Eden innocence and honour laughable.

Don't shatter their illusions Francis.

Auld Reekin'

Fine - that's understandable - and I recognise that, because of the length of time you've actively been following Hearts (from what I've picked-up from previous posts and threads, etc.), you will have seen, heard and experienced many a hair-raising decison and action from the board at the time. I also acknowledge your sterling efforts to disabuse any Hearts fan, who wasn't around at the time, of any rose-tinted view of how Hearts were run in the past!

However, we are where we are, and it is very difficult to regard many of the actions and decisions of the Romanov Regime, from the sacking of Burley onwards, with anything other than disbelief and anger.

Has there, in your experience or knowledge, been another owner / board of Hearts that has taken so many bizarre, damaging, and divisive decisons in such a relatively short period of time?

Indeed if Frails gardening leave is in fact the bullet, is it any real surprise to anyone. I have every sympathy for Frail if he has been terminated from his employment. I have been a critic of him for some time, and some of my criticisms and comments are I regret to say what I suppose has caused this conclusion.

One of the most naive things an employee can do is let his boss think he is totally dependent on this particular job, I am afraid the man cast his own dye when talking openly about mortgages etc., the fact in my opinion Frail was ready to come out and preach the party line after games indicated to me some weakness, and unfortunately when dealing with a boss like Romanov, you are treated with the amount of respect and esteem in which he holds you, this action would seem to indicate how much in this case that is.

For months people on here have been begging Frail to walk, it seems every ne could see what was happening to him, except unfortunately himself. Would he have been in any worse a position if he had quit some time ago, I think not, in fact I think he would have been better off. Its sad, I think Frail is probably a nice guy, but if it was indeed loyalty to HMFC that kept him there it is again unfortunate, but lacking reality. HMFC are an entity without feelings and emotions, these are provided by whomever is the current El Supremo, and at this time sentiment is not a valid commodity.

You are correct. If we are being run as many people claim we are then Frail should have walked long ago. His interviews and team selections did him no favours and any sympathy that I would have had for the guy has long since gone.

Glamorgan Jambo
It's not about the treatment of employees? It's the suggestion that Hearts deserve a reputation as exemplars in this area that I am complaining about.

I've just re-read the article and I can't see where there's any reference to Hearts being exemplars in this area in the past. The first paragraph refers to Albert Mackie's book talking about how Mackie suggested the name Heart of Midlothian suggested 'courage and affection' but that's all.

Mike Aitken is a good journo and has been round the houses a few times with upheavals at HMFC and I find it of interest that he feels to write such an impassioned piece at a time when it appears Romanov is adopting even more of a 'my way or the highway' approach.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The disgusting thing about it all is not necessarily that Frail has been emptied in this fashion (is there a nice way to empty someone?) but the fact that the "club" (and by that I mean the employees at Tynecastle and Riccarton) do not have a scooby what is going on. Even Kookaburra seems to have simply said that F®ail was to "go home - orders from Lithuania".

Why anyone would want to work for the Romanov's is beyond me.

Still, I'm sure Lawrence enjoyed taking those photos of pre-season. :rolleyes:

Craig Gordons Gloves

regardless of any abuse or opinions we throw at the Scotsman group of newspapers, this is actually a well written article. In addition, as for Stevie Frail - he made mistakes, he had affection for the club and the fans and tried to make it seem ok to the media and the fans when we all knew it wasnt ok. He was never the man for the managers position at Hearts unfortunately and i fear he has lost some dignity in what has happened recently but the main factor here is the fact we have an owner who is clueless when it comes to the psyche of the scottish football fan, the scottish media and the scottish culture in general.

I've been in the states near on 2 years now and i've had to make many adaptations when dealing in business, it is verging on the ridiculous that the owner of a traditional institution such as Hearts appears not to have made any adaptations - going back to the previous poster, it's my way or the highway approach - isnt going to work no matter what.

Stephen Frail was never going to be the right man for the Hearts manager role, but he is alos deserving of some respect from those that control the club.

At the end of it all - the name Heart of Midlothian is no longer a romantic name, but one that has been lowered into the mire yet again by it's owners. Whether it was in the 50s, before that or now - we have suffered as fans and now we have one in charge who appears to care even less than previous owners about the name of our club.

I've been a jambo since my dad took me to the family enclosure to watch us play St Mirren when i was about 5, i'm now 33 and i've seen what i would consider the bad times and the very good times, in fact - the best of times. I had a season ticket before moving here and irrespective of whether we were winning or losing i would look forward to every weekend. I talk about Hearts to any Yank that will listen - but for the past few months i find it harder and harder to try to presuade them that Hearts are the greatest club in the world and that saddens me, it really does.

This is yet another example of what makes it more difficult.

I whole heartedly agree that the reputation of this club is in tatters and has been since Pieman went on a one man wrecking mission of our club.

Vlad without doubt has made shed loads of mistakes however with regards to Frail's leaving I really cant see what the fuss is or this sudden out pouring from the press about Frail.

He knew when the season ended his time was up, he was allegedly offered a role back with the youth team and declined this offer. He has been working at the club since his return until his contract expires next week. He was called in on Wednesday and told to go home on PAID LEAVE and was even given a reason (new manager and team coming in).

Now I am under no doubt the being told you dont have a job in any walk of life must be a horrible feeling and there is never no nice way of doing it. However based on we know I dont think Hearts have really done anything wrong on this occasion.

Considering that Vlad preaches loyalty it's a damned shame that he doesn't reward it by treating his employees with respect.

The treatment of Frail is a disgrace but, sadly, not a surprise.

Gorgie Boy II

A very well written article and agree with it 100%. The actions of the owner of our Club is a total and utter disgrace but it is what we have come to expect.

If two days ago someone had given you two options on how Frail would leave - one being a public thank you and a sum of money and then a new guy comes in, or the other being whats happening now, which one would you have chosen?

The club is a shambles. Campbell Ogilvie is one of the most respected men in Scottish football (well maybe was well respected, not sure now) but if he isn't being involved and can't answer our questions, and if our media department can't tell us what is happening with Frail then surely they have to ask themselves what the heck they are doing there?

monkfish1979

I seriously don't know what people are after. "Frail GTF" - along with "we need a manager" - was possibly the defining phrase on here for the latter half of last season. Some pretty nasty things were said about him. Now it would seem that the former is required to facilitate the latter and we've got folk greeting on about how unfair it is on poor old Shaggy.

The disgusting thing about it all is not necessarily that Frail has been emptied in this fashion (is there a nice way to empty someone?) but the fact that the "club" (and by that I mean the employees at Tynecastle and Riccarton) do not have a scooby what is going on. Even Kookaburra seems to have simply said that F®ail was to "go home - orders from Lithuania".

Why anyone would want to work for the Romanov's is beyond me.

I agree. There are many jobs these days where people are whisked into a room and don't return to their desks. But football doesn't have to be like that. It serves no purpose to treat Frail like that (even though he flew with the Romanov crows for a while).

Mike Aitken in my opinion continues to be the best writer around on Hearts. He's been the best around for about 25 years.

Stuart Lyon

Re the articles claim that Vlad cancelled the PR contract; I thought Charlie Mann had said Vlad wanted to change the terms of it so that CM's company was paid by the hour for the work done. If I am right the article is disingenuous to that extent.

JamboJimmyB

Frail can be added to a long list of staff that have been treated disgracefully by Romanov, Foulkes, Anderton, Burley, Pressley, Hartley etc.

And yet sadly, if a manager is appointed on Monday all of this will be forgotten as it has in the past.

Romanov's attitude has been the same since he took over the club yet many fans choose to watch on through 'maroon tinted glasses'.

I have said before 9000 fans supported his regime by buying season tickets.

colinmaroon

I think that SF has been treated badly!

By the club AND by the fans!!!

I agree 100% with what you say!

I remember TW getting booted out and other "awful" examples of mistreatment by this "great" club!!!

When I was asked to move down to London to stay in a job I had been doing while commuting from Scotland, and I said "No" - the company sent me home on full pay immediately!!!

Normal practice for top execs that if you take a stance then you may be treated that way.

By the way, I took no offence! The company were just making sure that my situation might have seen me in a negative frame of mind and I could have had a negative effect on my staff!!!

Francis Albert
Has there, in your experience or knowledge, been another owner / board of Hearts that has taken so many bizarre, damaging, and divisive decisons in such a relatively short period of time?

Sorry, I wasn't avoiding the question, just went to bed! The answer is of course no, although for damaging and divisive the last two or three years of CPR's reign must surely run it close, (although perhaps CPR was less bizarre and more clear-minded).

Rereading Aitken's article (And I agree Aitken is just about the last real "journalist" in the Scottish media) in the cold light of dawn I still think it is basically arguing Vlad has broken with the club's past whereas when it comes to the treatment of players it would be more accurate to say he has carried on a tradition from which far far greater club servants suffered - Walker, Bauld and Mackay just to name three from one line of the club song., and throw in Cruickie as another example.

Sorry, I wasn't avoiding the question, just went to bed! The answer is of course no, although for damaging and divisive the last two or three years of CPR's reign must surely run it close, (although perhaps CPR was less bizarre and more clear-minded).

Rereading Aitken's article (And I agree Aitken is just about the last real "journalist" in the Scottish media) in the cold light of dawn I still think it is basically arguing Vlad has broken with the club's past whereas when it comes to the treatment of players it would be more accurate to say he has carried on a tradition from which far far greater club servants suffered - Walker, Bauld and Mackay just to name three from one line of the club song., and throw in Cruickie as another example.

Not to mention the way Sandy Clark was treated when he got the bullet.

He had to take Hearts to court, freeze their assets before the Board paid him what they were due him.

I have said before 9000 fans supported his regime by buying season tickets.

Bullsh*t

I support HMFC not Romanov.

When Eddie Thomson and John Yorkston didn't even offer Vlad a barge pole, that was a clear indication that no club should have any involvement with Vlad. He quite rightly got rid of Robbo as Head Coach but the way it was done was awful, he's done the same three years on with Frail. Not only is Vlad actually destroying this club, he is destroying the name and standing of Hearts in the footballing world. No manager with any pedigree, reasonable track record or credibility will take the Hearts job now. The way things are, Vlad will be in the dugout come August.

Cant deny Vlad has made some right royal **** ups..................but once again I find myself being more annoyed by the 'burn the witch' brigade who turn out to all these gatherings !

I really have to take a step back sometimes and wonder..........phew, how lucky was I to get anywhere near the Haymarket memorial one Sunday morning last November.................given the 1000s upon 1000s of 'proud' Hearts fans who continue to be so enraged by the 'belittling' of the clubs proud traditions that they clearly hold so dear

pennantjambo

So Frail gets called into the big Romanov diary room and is instructed not to return to Riccarton but to leave by the side entrance.

Like other Hearts housemates he he was'nt the first and he wont be the last to leave this way.

Even a blind man could have seen this coming as it appears to be they way VR does business.

Yes its cruel, humiliating, and very undignified and makes Vlad look like a bit of a sheite-bag.

If he is a crapper he could have phoned or written to the guy or better still came over and told him to his face.

He's been doing it his way for some time now so it should'nt be such a surprise.

Anyway he's busy getting us a new manager because he knows this is the big sticking plaster that will heal every bad thing he has done.

Colonel Kurtz

Frail was out of his depth last season,but to turn up for you training kit and be told by the kitman that he has ben instructed not to put your initials on training gear is out of order.

Romanov traets loyalty as weakness,thats why he will treat st renewers with even more contempt.

MIke aitkens article is excellent,our away strip is no longer maroon,the Russian Robber and his cretin of a son should remove maroon from the home kit until they go.

Does anyone actually know what is happening with Frail yet?

It looks like he will not be in the main part of the new coaching set-up but that does not mean he will not be offered a coaching role or a good leaving package. Would he even accept a lower position? After all a new manager has a right to bring in his own team and would this not be a first sign that he is doing things his way instead of what VR wants (giving SF a position)?

Mike Aitken does not know the answers to these questions so he is a bit premature with his criticism even if ultimately he turns out to be right. I suggest we all cool down until next week before passing judgment.

I would add that if one of my employees was talking openly to the press about club affairs, his bum would not touch the ground. SF would have been gone after telling about the Goncalves situation - IF it's true he did.

Even Kookaburra seems to have simply said that F®ail was to "go home - orders from Lithuania".

When I was employed by the Arabs I was sent to work on a project in Paris. While I was there they decided that I was superfluous and could be replaced by a young national. Fair enough, I had a good contract that entitled me to 3 months money so I planned just to turn up to work, see out my contract and find another job.

Fact was that after one week I got a "go home order from Abu Dhabi" and so did the gardening while still receiving my salary.

I suggest that it is time for Shaggy to update his CV - if he has not already done so.

willie wallace

Sad to say but my feeling of relief that he has gone far outweighs the manner in which it was handled.It seemed to me that he was concerned about the good press he was getting from the Scottish media than the frustration of the Hearts fans over his tactics and general style of play.

I was so angry after the last home game against Killie when he played an out and out defensive midfielder wide right and a young new forward up front on his own against 2 experienced centre halves that i wanted him to go there and then.If so many players were behind Frail why did we not see any evidence of this.

I agree. The man took the cash at the expense of his dignity and allowed himself to be walked all over. Turned a blind eye whilst other people at the club were treated in the same way and paid his mortgage with dirty money.

He was weak.

He was warned.

He should have seen it coming but buried his head in the sand.

Easy for you to say! However, if you were in that position would you have walked away from your job and faced having your kids on the street by not being able to pay your morgage?

Get real man!

Buffalo Bill

Tommy Walker, Alfie Conn, Willie Bauld and Jim Cruickshank among others were all treated like ****.

Now Stevie Frail has been dumped like a old TV in the canal.

It's nothing to be proud of, but let's not pretend this is something new.

I conclude that Hearts have never had great ownership in the modern age.

Buffalo Bill

Frail can eat a bag of ****s.

I don't care how he pays his mortgage, as long as it isn't with HMFC.

Frail can eat a bag of ****s.

I don't care how he pays his mortgage, as long as it isn't with HMFC.

Shameful post!

It seems that it's not just the club's owner who is execrable. Some of the so called supporters are too.

Shameful post!

It seems that it's not just the club's owner who is execrable. Some of the so called supporters are too.

It's been too long since I've seen the phrase, "so-called supporters" on KB. :rolleyes:

Frail is pathetic. Factendof.

It's been too long since I've seen the phrase, "so-called supporters" on KB. :rolleyes:

Frail is pathetic. Factendof.

Will that be the rumoured new German boss :P

As much as I'm pleased F®ail won't darken our dugout next season (god knows who will mind you) I totally agree with the jist of the article.

"Less communication" says it all about the man who is proving to be the most infamous owner in our history. His deliberate failure to even try to adapt to a different culture and grasp that football is the national sport of this country makes me firmly believe that he is not at HMFC for the good of the club and therefore we will merely trea water (at best) under his 'leadership'.

If he does go down the road of a 'puppet or pyramid appointment' I hope that the support as a whole would subsequently find some unity with the knowledge he will never change. That being the case further short term pain would hopefully lead to finding a way for his removal. Even if he does appoint a manager most are happy with because of the conditions he expects people to work under it's big odds anything will work out long term so we are screwed either way.

Archived