The red card.

DVB

Captain Sausage

It’s a red cars all day long. About the only decision the abysmal referee got right all day. 

Absolutely embarassing performance from the twat in the middle. 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Phil Dunphy

• jamboj

• Thomaso

Could have been a red card for Motherwell player. Garruchio has the ball under control and is about to get up when Motherwell player arrived late and jumped in.

Captain Canada

I thought it was harsh to say the least but I don't think Levein will be using Garuccio much again this season. He was obviously annoyed with him.

I can't believe Doyle complained about the sun then just carried on without a cap. I think Bobby will be back for the next game. It's a shame as Doyle was having a good game up until then. 

After hearing leveins comments I don't think there's any chance we will appeal.  Stupid to dive in like that, as soon as you go in with both feet of the ground like that you're out of control and asking for trouble. 

13 minutes ago, King prawn said:

15 years ago a great tackle - now it’s a red unfortunately.

Spot on unfortunately - players like John Cumming and Dave McKay would never survive these days. It’ll soon be a totally contact free sport. 

35 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I thought it was harsh to say the least but I don't think Levein will be using Garuccio much again this season. He was obviously annoyed with him.

I can't believe Doyle complained about the sun then just carried on without a cap. I think Bobby will be back for the next game. It's a shame as Doyle was having a good game up until then. 

Levein should be annoyed at a few players today, his captain being one of them 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Flying into it with a boot raised. Just can't do it anymore 

Scott Brown did in the last few seconds....yellow card, but hey ho....not surprised.

Not seen the tackle, but from being the goal at the far end, it looked a "strong" challenge. 

Added to the fact that there was very little or no argue from any of our players, I would be surprised if appeal made.

It leaves us short at left back.......again!

4 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Spot on unfortunately - players like John Cumming and Dave McKay would never survive these days. It’ll soon be a totally contact free sport. 

Will be the equivalent of touch rugby.

The argument is you can't make a decision based on contact, it's excessive force no matter the result of the tackle. As much as it looks harsh it's a fair rule, players in the modern game are stronger and quicker and a connection could result in a career being ended. It's a poor decision from Garuccio, the majority of decent defenders try to stay on their feet for as long as possible before going to ground. 

I didn't think it was even a yellow. He won the ball. 

Great challenge. 

Levein obviously doesn't like him. He turned his back on him when he came off. 

Also explains why he hasn't been getting much game time when some of us have been asking why. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It’s a red card, jumped in two footed off the ground, doesn’t matter a **** if he won the ball, it’s a banned challenge, you simply are not allowed to do it. It’s like spearing someone in Rugby, illegal tackle, cheerio. 

Yet this is only a yellow.  (there are many more examples if you want them)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
34 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Scott Brown did in the last few seconds....yellow card, but hey ho....not surprised.

Not seen the tackle, but from being the goal at the far end, it looked a "strong" challenge. 

Added to the fact that there was very little or no argue from any of our players, I would be surprised if appeal made.

It leaves us short at left back.......again!

Scott Brown plays different rules though :)

2 hours ago, El Diez said:

It’s the law that’s wrong.

Being off the ground doesn’t automatically mean losing control.

For me it was perfectly timed, and he won the ball cleanly.

If that’s the rule and it’s applied consistently then fair enough, I still wouldn’t think it was a red card but I’d accept that’s the rules.

Where you get frustrated is seeing Scott Brown do similar on a weekly basis and get away without even a foul being given against him.

Perfect summary sir. It was a great tackle, BUT these days it’s a red (or at least should be). 

Thunderstruck

I would need to watch the game again to check but I am sure that there were a couple of equally ‘robust’ challenges earlier in the game on the Main Stand side of the pitch. 

That said, I have no desire to watch the game again. 

21 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yet this is only a yellow.  (there are many more examples if you want them)

He’s captain of Celtic, of course it’s only a yellow. Should’ve been a red. 

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

You don't have a Scooby about the rules of football, do you ?

As others have said, it was a superb tackle a few years back.

Not any longer though.

We bit common sense though eh. Was there intent to injure? Was the player injured? Naw and naw.

Came away with the ball. 

9 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

We bit common sense though eh. Was there intent to injure? Was the player injured? Naw and naw.

Came away with the ball. 

You're not the one without ‘a scooby’, mate.

willie wallace

Was not sure at the game but have just seen it on the tv.no danger it's a red card.

Just  because someone looks offside does not mean he is offside.

Same with a tackle. Hope CL changes his mind after seeing it again.

2 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Red card all day long. Not even up for debate. A crap player anyway - won't be missed.

Fine. Just don't have the brass neck to complain when we have to play Jake Mulraney every single week now or play a kid like Jamie Brandon out of position 

Was a brilliant tackle. Well 20 years ago it would have been but now it was maybe a red, although yellow would have been enough. Either way, red or yellow  didn't affect the result

2 hours ago, Top Corner said:

I didn't think it was even a yellow. He won the ball. 

Great challenge. 

Levein obviously doesn't like him. He turned his back on him when he came off. 

Also explains why he hasn't been getting much game time when some of us have been asking why. 

My initial thought was, what a great tackle, don't even think it was a foul, modern football eh. He has not been getting treated great before, no chance now.

Dislike the guy cause he's worse than average............give the ref a decision and you've made it easy for him and a red card. Last game v Livingston he was also dreadful. Where do we find these imposters??

Just watched Scott Brown's 1st booking. Far worse than Garuccio's tackle and he gets away with a booking and scores the winner. Sums up why no non old firm team will ever win the league again.

portobellojambo1
25 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Was a brilliant tackle. Well 20 years ago it would have been but now it was maybe a red, although yellow would have been enough. Either way, red or yellow  didn't affect the result

It was from that free kick that Motherwell scored their winning goal so the tackle did impact on the result. I've not seen it in replay and was towards the back of the upper tier at the game. At the time it appeared to be a very good tackle.

6 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It was from that free kick that Motherwell scored their winning goal so the tackle did impact on the result. I've not seen it in replay and was towards the back of the upper tier at the game. At the time it appeared to be a very good tackle.

I said red or yellow didn't affect the result. 

10 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Your not wrong my friend, it was a tremendous tackle and should have been the start of a great breakaway. However, crappy Scottish refereeing decided otherwise. Yes the keeper should have dealt with the resultant free kick but the argument stands, it wasn't a foul. 

Edited by TypoonJambo

Watched the game on TV and thought it was never a red. Re watched the highlights on sportscene and now I don’t even think it was a foul. Yes he has lunged but as they said at the point he wins the ball he’s on the ground and wins the ball cleanly. He’s trapped the ball in his legs and hes not injured the player studs haven’t went into the player or anything. Contact is made by the Motherwell player just after Ben wins the ball. Perfectly Timed strong tackle by Ben and I fully expect the club to appeal this. Not often would I agree with anything said on sportscene but Stewart and Thomson were spot on. Same with the BT pundits funnily enough only that t@@t Craigen saying it was. The quicker we get VAR in the better referees in Scotland are just incapable of refereeing games without making a cluster f@@k of things. 

2 minutes ago, jambocraig89 said:

Watched the game on TV and thought it was never a red. Re watched the highlights on sportscene and now I don’t even think it was a foul. Yes he has lunged but as they said at the point he wins the ball he’s on the ground and wins the ball cleanly. He’s trapped the ball in his legs and hes not injured the player studs haven’t went into the player or anything. Contact is made by the Motherwell player just after Ben wins the ball. Perfectly Timed strong tackle by Ben and I fully expect the club to appeal this. Not often would I agree with anything said on sportscene but Stewart and Thomson were spot on. Same with the BT pundits funnily enough only that t@@t Craigen saying it was. The quicker we get VAR in the better referees in Scotland are just incapable of refereeing games without making a cluster f@@k of things. 

VAR would have backed the referee.

This might sound condescending, but if you’ve played the game you know it was a legitimate tackle.

Two feet are off the ground yes. At the point of contact with the ball, his right foot wins it cleanly and his left leg is bent and also on the ground.

As I’ve said earlier, leaving the ground with both feet doesn’t mean a foul.

It’s a fine margin and certainly not recommended but Garrucios tackle was fair.

Quite disappointed in Leveins comments tbh and feel he’d have backed some other players far more rigorously.

45 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

The games done

It is.  When you played football you knew there was risk. A risk you could take a knock even in a legitimate tackle. 

Of course,  there’s rules and a line you can’t cross, there’s an art to tackling but when you defend you do what you can to win the ball.  

Football should be a test of how good you can be under pressure with the ball, how you can evade tackles. All the game has done in some ways is let average players have breathing space because of the dilution of tackling.

I largely thought it was a fairly physical game within the rules, there was some close attention that did overstep the rules but refs let themselves down all the time up here. Djoum’s card was a joke, for example.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, XB52 said:

I said red or yellow didn't affect the result. 

He might have been in the wall making the shot off target. We'll never know if him staying on would have affected the final result. 

Trying to be open minded with rule changes etc but thats never a red.

Reading the thread I reckon rough guess:

Born before 1990 thinks great challenge

Born after 1990 straight red

I think wherever you stand on the rules most of us would accept that Garrucio should have known that starting the tackle the way he did may have had consequences and would give the ref a decision to make.

This being the case it was stupid and high risk for him to go in the way he did - and he should know by now that if we are involved in a marginal decision it will go against us.

I like him, but he was ****ing stupid putting a tackle in like that.

The Old Tolbooth

Absolutely perfectly timed tackle,, it beggars belief that he was sent off for that, and Brown was only given a yellow for his tackle which was absolute assault! Garruccio's tackle wasn't even a free kick ffs, he was on the ground when he made the tackle and won the ball 100% cleanly, another embarrassing decision from that ref. 

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

Absolutely perfectly timed tackle,, it beggars belief that he was sent off for that, and Brown was only given a yellow for his tackle which was absolute assault! Garruccio's tackle wasn't even a free kick ffs, he was on the ground when he made the tackle and won the ball 100% cleanly, another embarrassing decision from that ref. 

Correct. Having just seen it now. What a ****ing tackle.