Scottish Cup Odds

EIEIO

Just checked my bet365 account to win the cup outright :-

Heart of Midlothian 14/1

Leith losers 12/1 

Any betting experts care to explain this ?

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, BonningtonJambo said:

Bit of money put on by hibs fans lately will bring the odds down 

Drifted out to 16/1 so backed us each way.

40 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Heart of Midlothian 14/1

Leith losers 12/1 

I think after the initial odds are posted it all just a big algorithm based on money been put on certain teams. Apparently a lot of people have been putting hibs in and not so many hearts 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hibs were the last team to win a trophy bar Celtic. 

Stranger than ****ing fiction that but perhaps a reason 

The Bookkeeper
1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Heart of Midlothian 14/1

Leith losers 12/1 

Likely due to them being the last team to win it out with Celtic and the notion this means something. Also the fact the odds will have been set by people who neither care about or have much knowledge of Scottish football. It won't be a market they care too much about.

Word of advice though, don't back either! Neither Hearts nor Hibs are winning jack shit this season. 

Strange. Remember though: bookmakers make books. They're not punters. 

They set their odds on a percentage basis. The trick of the trade is to get an even book. One where the liability on each outcome is more or less identical. Doing that guarantees the percentage of turnover they've budgeted for using on two weeks in Barbados remains in the satchel. Makes no odds if they think Town, Albion, United or whoever are the third-best team in a competition. If Town, Albion, United or whoever are known to have fans who like a punt, bookies will stick them in at artificially short odds, maybe even favourites, confident that the mugs will pile in. Ing-Ger-Lund are the best example of this. Bet365's compiler may think the Vermin are gash. He may think they've been underachieving and might recapture last spring's form under a new gaffer. That makes no odds if punters are backing them. It's not his job to gamble. If the Vermin are a biggish loser in Bet365's ledger, the complier has to discourage further bets on them. If we're not being backed, he has to encourage us to have a few bawbees on. Not that a compiler has much say these days at a firm the size of Bet365. It's done by algorithm and software.

In any case, we are generally much shorter than the Vermin. McBookie / BetVictor has us at 8-1, which is appalling value! Makes us 21-20 for each of the QF, SF  and Final. May have to beat the Sheep and Erse Cheeks in those three games. The Vermin are 10-1 with McBookie / Victor.  Betfair / Power has us at 10-1 and the Vermin at 14-1, which is about what you'd expect. Skybet has us 16-1 and them at 14-1, which is top price in both instances. Killie were 2nd in the league at the draw for the last round and were 25-1. That looked the bet. They're still 20-1 with The Rangers coming to town. Still looks the each way bet to me.                

Edited by G0rd0nM1lls
typo

Killie are 15/4 and kirkcaldy rovers are 9/1   got be worth a quid double!!

I'm not all that realistic about raith beating them as they can be ok at home and will probably score, however a treble on Killie, East fife and Dundee hibs has to be worth a punt (will go 20p lucky 15 though (include raith), big money) :D

Acca is just over 400s at hills, quid!!

1 hour ago, The Bookkeeper said:

Likely due to them being the last team to win it out with Celtic and the notion this means something. Also the fact the odds will have been set by people who neither care about or have much knowledge of Scottish football. It won't be a market they care too much about.

Word of advice though, don't back either! Neither Hearts nor Hibs are winning jack shit this season. 

Take it you mean IN YOUR OPINION.

Both are up against lower league opposition at home.

Every chance they could meet in the 1/4 final. From there only one game to the final.

On their day both sides are capable of beating anyone in a one off game.

Celtic's run has to end sometime. 

Hearts ended their 69 game unbeaten run and Hibs were the last team to win a trophy before their current run.

Was checking this earlier. Some, I think maybe Paddy Power and BetVictor were offering us at 16s. 

I'm going to wait on the results from tomorrow's games, as the odds on us might lengthen being a tie behind some teams. 

The Bookkeeper
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Take it you mean IN YOUR OPINION.

Both are up against lower league opposition at home.

Every chance they could meet in the 1/4 final. From there only one game to the final.

On their day both sides are capable of beating anyone in a one off game.

Celtic's run has to end sometime. 

Hearts ended their 69 game unbeaten run and Hibs were the last team to win a trophy before their current run.

? definitely my opinion chief yep!  I'd want far bigger odds than those for any team led by Levein. By my reckoning he's managed a hell of a lot more than 14 attempts to win a trophy for his clubs so there is no value whatsoever at the price. 

Seems strange if we are longer odds than Hibs.  On paper, both teams should progress to the next round and we are clearly better than Hibs based on league form.  It can only mean Hibs fans are lumping more money on than Hearts fans.

7 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

Was checking this earlier. Some, I think maybe Paddy Power and BetVictor were offering us at 16s. 

I'm going to wait on the results from tomorrow's games, as the odds on us might lengthen being a tie behind some teams. 

If killie beat sevco our odds will plummet

9 hours ago, lauriesrank said:

Killie are 15/4 and kirkcaldy rovers are 9/1   got be worth a quid double!!

I'm not all that realistic about raith beating them as they can be ok at home and will probably score, however a treble on Killie, East fife and Dundee hibs has to be worth a punt (will go 20p lucky 15 though (include raith), big money) :D

Acca is just over 400s at hills, quid!!

Thats a good fun bet at these odds. Cheers

cant see Raith getting a win though but worth a quid or two. Never know

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Thats a good fun bet at these odds. Cheers

cant see Raith getting a win though but worth a quid or two. Never know

Fancy Raith to get a draw and finish them off in Kirkcaldy