Lothian buses

Crete

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I agree... but still irritating given the short distances between stops in Edinburgh.They have them on buses in Germany as well but they have stops more spaced out. 

Aye after a while it gets grating, but that's what headphones were invented for ?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvery_Moon

• Herbert.

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Gorgie

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Anyone else find the continual bus stop announcements on these new buses very irritating or is it just me?

As a local yes especially when they pronounce the stop wrong

Brotton Street

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Anyone else find the continual bus stop announcements on these new buses very irritating or is it just me?

Spare a thought for the poor drivers who'll have to listen to it all day.

Have you met one of they new buses at the bridge at the Laird and Dog?  The one I met yesterday crossed the bridge in the middle of the road, meaning I had to stop.

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I agree... but still irritating given the short distances between stops in Edinburgh.They have them on buses in Germany as well but they have stops more spaced out. 

The bit I find irritating is "warning: exit doors closing". I've kind of begun to not notice the street names but the repeated droning of the doors shutting voice, not so much.

been here before
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Sounds like just another reason to avoid the utter soul destroying misery that is bus travel.

How people can do this day in, day out for 40 years of their working life absoluetly defeats me.

What about the single deckers with the engines that cut out automatically when the doors open. Feel a bit shan moaning cos it's all about being greener, but it's a nippy uncomfortable journey. 

11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Try being behind the wheel of one and listening to it for nearly 5 hours straight. That stupid voice is all i hear whilst trying to fall asleep at night ?

11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I do when they mispronounce Edinburgh place names such as Drumsheugh and Home Street. Cringeworthy.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

As a local yes especially when they pronounce the stop wrong

Brotton Street

It reminds me back in the day there was a conductress who was regularly on the No16.

As the bus was approaching a stop she named every surrounding street.

davemclaren
8 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Spare a thought for the poor drivers who'll have to listen to it all day.

Have you met one of they new buses at the bridge at the Laird and Dog?  The one I met yesterday crossed the bridge in the middle of the road, meaning I had to stop.

Not yet but I did think they would struggle there. 

9 hours ago, TheStig said:

Try being behind the wheel of one and listening to it for nearly 5 hours straight. That stupid voice is all i hear whilst trying to fall asleep at night ?

I was hopeful for you guys that the speakers/your seating area would be sufficiently positioned so as for you not to hear it at all :lol:

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I was hopeful for you guys that the speakers/your seating area would be sufficiently positioned so as for you not to hear it at all :lol:

You can hear pretty much everything.

Nippy bitch in the screen is just the latest move to annoy drivers IMO.

Maroon Sailor

I was on a Lothian Country bus today and the stop announcement seemed to be out of sync where the bus was. Next Stop is ..... when the bus has just gone past it !

14 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Unfortunately not, its loud and clear for us. Plus side it briefly covers over the chav screaming down the phone all journey ?

Silvery_Moon
On 21/06/2019 at 21:02, davemclaren said:

It can be annoying but these announcements have been on the 26 for 2 years and I have learned to switch off from them.

Useful for visitors to the city though.