• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvery_Moon

• Herbert.

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Gorgie

22 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Is that the 100 passenger bus? It will be fun seeing that fighting it's way around tight streets.

I doubt it'll be a problem, I've seen huge buses kicking about Amsterdam, a much tighter city than edinburgh.

28 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Here's a sneak preview:

Giant-5-Decker-Bus-24770.jpg

I was on one of them the other week. I'll tell you what, I was glad it had a lift.

Despite the new buses carrying more passengers in total, the placement of the side doors has meant that they can only carry one wheelchair or buggy.

Bit of an oversight.

10 minutes ago, Jambojay84 said:

My memory may be playing tricks on me but was the buses in 90s not the same design 

Yeah, lothian got rid of the double door buses about 10-15years ago I think. 

3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I was on one of them the other week. I'll tell you what, I was glad it had a lift.

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Here's a sneak preview:

Giant-5-Decker-Bus-24770.jpg

What city has that bus?

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

Yeah, lothian got rid of the double door buses about 10-15years ago I think. 

1 hour ago, Jambojay84 said:

My memory may be playing tricks on me but was the buses in 90s not the same design 

So basically a 1990s LRT Megabus!  :berra:

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, Cade said:

Despite the new buses carrying more passengers in total, the placement of the side doors has meant that they can only carry one wheelchair or buggy.

Bit of an oversight.

I didn't realise how much of a pain in the **** this could be until the boy arrived. 

During the recent run of cold weather I've seen myself watching a handful of busses go by at peak times as there was no room for the pram. 

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Be great hiring a few of them for the big cup final, ??

Are they allowed on the M8 without seatbelts?

The Leyland Atlanteans I remember from the 80s are typically 30' to 33' 6".

This new fella is a whopping 44'.

Cue car drivers' seethe a-plenty :lol:

Edited by Boof

Are they any bigger than the ones we use to have with the extra set of doors? 

I had a very boring conversation a few weeks ago about this. The amount of time it takes for people to offload and load via one set of doors (i.e. now) must all add up and it will take significantly longer now to get a bus from one side of Edinburgh to another via bus than it did 15/20 years ago (when we had the two door busses, less traffic, less traffic management). 

29 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Are they any bigger than the ones we use to have with the extra set of doors? 

I had a very boring conversation a few weeks ago about this. The amount of time it takes for people to offload and load via one set of doors (i.e. now) must all add up and it will take significantly longer now to get a bus from one side of Edinburgh to another via bus than it did 15/20 years ago (when we had the two door busses, less traffic, less traffic management). 

They’re much bigger, can take up to 131 passengers (100 seated)

luckyBatistuta
15 hours ago, Cade said:

Bit of an oversight.

If it was planned, it would have been an oversight, but got to take what you get when you’re after a bargain...erseholes.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Like them or not but for me LRT runs one of the best bus services in any city, I've been stuck in a few places where you are lucky if you see one every couple of hours.

Edited by Jamboelite

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Like them or not but for me LRT runs one of the best bus services in any city, I've been stuck in a few places where you are lucky if you see one every couple of hours.

Absolutely

I would say it's the best and I've been to all major cities in the U.K

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

They are indeed, but buying these buses just because they are cheap. It’s like buying stuff that is discounted in a store...did you really need it?

The Real Maroonblood
56 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

They are indeed, but buying these buses just because they are cheap. It’s like buying stuff that is discounted in a store...did you really need it?

How much did they cost?

6 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Hope they don’t use them on the 21 stinky bus route. 

The stench is bad enough on the single deckers. 

::troll:: 

Travel on the 21 a few times a week and yesterday was the worse. 

Couldn't find a seat that wasn't thick with stour and dirt, the floor was tacky and sticky and the stench was terrible. Cold day but opened a few windows. 

I was only on it from Leith to Porty but felt like I could do with a hoseing down.

Total shitpit.

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

A few photos here - https://www.alexander-dennis.com/media/news/2018/november/100-seats-for-lothian-in-new-three-axle-adl-enviro400xlb-on-volvo-chassis/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, the inside looks smart

Smart until the usual scum sit with their feet on the seats , bottles left behind , fast food wrappers and uneaten food left lying about . 

Used to ask folk to take their feet of the seats but gave up . 

2 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

I don't disagree, but the majority of other major cities have their bus services complemented by another public transport network (inner-city rail, trams, subway system). While we have a one-line tram and a few inner-city stations, we are far behind the majority of other cities when it comes to public transport as a whole (imo). We should be looking at off-road public transport options. 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

How much did they cost?

No idea, but they got them cheap. Weren’t even built for us, order fell through, so we took them because they gave us a cheap deal. 

Салатные палочки
20 hours ago, Herbert said:

download.jpeg

I might be wrong but I'm sure Stagecoach Ayrshire has these. Was travelling from my parents to home a fee weeks ago and something similar pulled up. Have to say it is massive, great comfy seats and a smooth ride. 

43 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I might be wrong but I'm sure Stagecoach Ayrshire has these. Was travelling from my parents to home a fee weeks ago and something similar pulled up. Have to say it is massive, great comfy seats and a smooth ride. 

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Dennis_Enviro400, Stagecoach has some Enviro400's, just not that particular model.

58 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I would be surprised if stagecoach had any decent buses in Scotland. The ones I see are all early 00s stinking dirty things.

These Buses are the biggest in the UK by all accounts.

No confirmation yet on what routes they will be on but looking like it could be the 31 and / or the 37 that they start on.

1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

I don't disagree, but the majority of other major cities have their bus services complemented by another public transport network (inner-city rail, trams, subway system). While we have a one-line tram and a few inner-city stations, we are far behind the majority of other cities when it comes to public transport as a whole (imo). We should be looking at off-road public transport options. 

I was in Manchester at the weekend. The general bus system I thought was poor but the tram (and whats planned for it) was excellent.

12 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

No confirmation yet on what routes they will be on but looking like it could be the 31 and / or the 37 that they start on.

Sure they've said it was the 26?

Салатные палочки
40 minutes ago, redjambo said:

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Dennis_Enviro400, Stagecoach has some Enviro400's, just not that particular model.

That looks like the fella. 

24 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I would be surprised if stagecoach had any decent buses in Scotland. The ones I see are all early 00s stinking dirty things.

They bought new ones about five years ago for the Kilmarnock/Irvine to Glasgow routes. But this thing was brand new. Don't think it was leased either as it was in full Stagecoach colours inside and out. 

Couldn't care less how much they cost or who they were built for, if they manage to bring down the number of cars on the road then I'm all for that.

2 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

The 31?  Will be interesting seeing them going through Lasswade. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

No idea, but they got them cheap. Weren’t even built for us, order fell through, so we took them because they gave us a cheap deal. 

I would imagine they would cost around £250,000.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Chester™ said:

I was in Manchester at the weekend. The general bus system I thought was poor but the tram (and whats planned for it) was excellent.

Sure they've said it was the 26?

I am sure that the 26 was the first route that had the last bus upgrade, possibly because its one of the longest routes.

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I am sure that the 26 was the first route that had the last bus upgrade, possibly because its one of the longest routes.

Also one of the straightest

Be interesting to see how much of the time saved by allowing folk to exit off the middle door is then lost again in trying to deal with the folk who've come on the middle door for free......