This place is awfy quiet these days ...

Armageddon

4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

True, but its the points that matter.

Can you promise this? As it stands, according to goal difference Hibs are four times better than we are and I’m starting to panic!

:sob:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Enzo Chiefo

• Bridge of Djoum

• Beast Boy

5 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Can you promise this? As it stands, according to goal difference Hibs are four times better than we are and I’m starting to panic!

:sob:

On behalf of @Harry Potter, I wish to confirm that his point is a valid one.

1 minute ago, Boab said:

Hibs will do wonders for their goals for total when they're wallowing about in the bottom six.

A small crumb of comfort !

?

:lol: 

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, AndyNic said:

I reckon it's 'awfy'

Going to have to Google it now :lol:

I’m not apologising to anyone who Googles for the right answer

(I’ve got a horrible feeling you’re right though!)

Edited by scott herbertson

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, AndyNic said:

I reckon it's 'awfy'

Going to have to Google it now :lol:

I’m not apologising to anyone who Googles for the right answer

(I’ve got a horrible feeling you’re right though!)

Edited by scott herbertson

43 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

It’s fantastic to sit back and watch though 

:pleasing:

Only if you're the type of poster who revels in seeing the snide-o-meter read high. Anyway, it's the Picture Round next, I'm sure you'll make up lost ground in this one.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Only if you're the type of poster who revels in seeing the snide-o-meter read high. Anyway, it's the Picture Round next, I'm sure you'll make up lost ground in this one.

Oh goody, maybe you could post some pictures of you digging your hole:laugh:

TBH, the worst thing about here these days is the preponderance of ads. I know JKB has to make money, but they are popping up all over the shop and verging on making the essential element of the site, ie the posts, unreadable. It's getting almost as bad as the Evening Hobo.

Just my tuppence worth.

9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

BetterFearlessAlligatorgar-size_restrict

I've noticed it over the years:  poor results generate a bigger reaction than good results.

We've played 6, won 5 since that *ahem* awfy 1-2 punch from Livingston and Aberdeen.  Most teams anywhere would be happy with that run of results, so nothing to write about.  :welldone:

4 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

It's the 3 game JKB apoplection convention at work...it runs like clockwork and can be applied to any run of 3 matches.

The JKBAP is currently on a LWW setting which means we are on the edge of greatness, if we move to a WWW setting on Wednesday then the board will be sheer joy.

When the balance is toward W the more optimistic JKB residents tend to lead and dominate discussion, this is reversed when the balance is toward L. The overall view rarely changes though in these groups.

Where the effect really comes into play is with the balanced regular visitors (rather than residents) who will move up and down the scale depending on the 3 matches...

3 matches is all it takes to achieve a full swing from positive or negative (and vice versa). Interesting I don't think that a 4th result (or more) in any sequence actually increases the effect, it just seems to flatten off and stay at the current level.

It only takes a single defeat for the roasters to come out and have a public meltdown. 

44 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Oh goody, maybe you could post some pictures of you digging your hole:laugh:

You're too late Rudolf. It was check-mate about an hour ago. The league table came up trumps.

15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You're too late Rudolf. It was check-mate about an hour ago. The league table came up trumps.

Is that the league table with Hibs 10 points behind us with a superior goal difference?

19 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Is that the league table with Hibs 10 points behind us with a superior goal difference?

Think he’s referring to this table from 2013/14...

64393F68-2A01-4A77-A7B4-F3C3E13F915E.jpeg.e3e1d95b2ea405cfdca085a9aeedecc0.jpeg

Surprised they didn’t strip Motherwell of second place for finishing the season with an inferior goal difference to third and fourth :whistling:

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

It only takes a single defeat for the roasters to come out and have a public meltdown. 

I’m gonna be honest.. this is actually me.. had a meltdown after the Dundee defeat last week.. was literally ‘ray gin’ at the performance. I take supporting Hearts waay too seriously sometimes ?

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I did say it was possible but I'm surprised they managed 2nd with that GD. Good work though. I accept that points are more important but GD usually illustrates how good a team you are. I realise it's not a direct comparison, because the squad then was far superior, but back in 05/06 we finished 2nd with +40 odd, as we did in 87/88 too.

More effluent. Points take prizes. You finish ten points ahead of a team but they have a better GD. You still had a better league campaign than them. Should we forget points attained and do league positions on GD?

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

More effluent. Points take prizes. You finish ten points ahead of a team but they have a better GD. You still had a better league campaign than them. Should we forget points attained and do league positions on GD?

Erm, I think Enzo said that points are more important.

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Erm, I think Enzo said that points are more important.

He said it but didn't mean it. There is a difference.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, John Findlay said:

He said it but didn't mean it. There is a difference.

Erm, righto.

You've changed, John. :(

32 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I've stated several times that GD is an indicator of how good a team is. Of course points are the first measure of placings. How could I possibly claim otherwise. You seem overly keen to highlight the exceptions rather than the rule. A table that was dug up from 6 years and obsessing about Hibs GD. My first post acknowledged that there are discrepancies.  The present top 6 are placed in order of points, goals scored and GD, which kind of proves my point.

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I've stated several times that GD is an indicator of how good a team is. Of course points are the first measure of placings. How could I possibly claim otherwise. You seem overly keen to highlight the exceptions rather than the rule. A table that was dug up from 6 years and obsessing about Hibs GD. My first post acknowledged that there are discrepancies.  The present top 6 are placed in order of points, goals scored and GD, which kind of proves my point.

Just not getting it :facepalm:

27 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Generally the top 1 or 2 teams will have the best GD and the bottom 2 the worst. However its not necessarily a very good indicator when you look at the positions in between, scanning back previous seasons.

Neilson had the 2nd best gd in the league in 15/16 and a surprisingly large number of hearts fans thought we had a poor team under him.

The season so far is not the best time to judge us on gd though given you need your best strikers and defenders to maintain a good one. What was our gd before the injuries?

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Generally the top 1 or 2 teams will have the best GD and the bottom 2 the worst. However its not necessarily a very good indicator when you look at the positions in between, scanning back previous seasons.

Neilson had the 2nd best gd in the league in 14/15 and a surprisingly large number of hearts fans thought we had a poor team under him.

The season so far is not the best time to judge us on gd though given you need your best strikers and defenders to maintain a good one. What was our gd before the injuries?

It’s a dreadful indictor to use* given one look at the current league table shows you how ridiculous it is. :rofl: Hibs are two places and ten points below us but have a much better goal difference.

*Unless you are completely and utterly obsessed with our manager and need to grasp any possible straw to try and beat him with.

Edited by To Be Frank

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

It’s a dreadful indictor to use* given one look at the current league table shows you how ridiculous it is. :rofl: Hibs are two places and ten points below us but have a much better goal difference.

*Unless you are completely and utterly obsessed with our manager and need to grasp any possible straw to try and beat him with.

Think your last para is the key one.

Anyhow, lecturing jambos about goal difference is a bit crap. Noone knows the importance of GD more than hearts fans and craig levein!

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Think your last para is the key one.

Anyhow, lecturing jambos about goal difference is a bit crap. Noone knows the importance of GD more than hearts fans and craig levein!

:spoton:

i wish jj was my dad
8 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Bottom paragraph nails it. Even when we are on a good run there is a desparation to find fault. 

At the start of the season I expected top 3 and until we lost arguably our 4 most influential players plus Haring being half fit I thought that was conservative. 

I still expect top 4 above Killie and 3rd or 2nd not beyond us. Bigger picture though is that we have stabilised after the worst injury crisis in memory. If we can keep Naismith a fair wind could really see us make an impact next year  

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Bottom paragraph nails it. Even when we are on a good run there is a desparation to find fault. 

At the start of the season I expected top 3 and until we lost arguably our 4 most influential players plus Haring being half fit I thought that was conservative. 

I still expect top 4 above Killie and 3rd or 2nd not beyond us. Bigger picture though is that we have stabilised after the worst injury crisis in memory. If we can keep Naismith a fair wind could really see us make an impact next year  

I expect 4th minimum, 3rd would be tremendous. I think we are capable if we keep the squad fit. 

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

GD is not an indicator of how good a team is. 

The goal difference would have to be accompanied by points or the GD means **** all. 

You have completely lost it. 

If you are saying we've had a couple of very heavy defeats and could do with winning some games by more goals, then I'd agree. 

We have and do. 

But you have gone off on one and lost the plot and seem to be arguing for the sake of it all for reasons best known to yourself. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I expect 4th minimum, 3rd would be tremendous. I think we are capable if we keep the squad fit. 

I'm here. 

Although 6th and a sc would be... OK. ?

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I see the vultures are circling again, Enzo. ?

It's ''attack dogs'' if you don't mind, sir.

12 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

GD is not an indicator of how good a team is. 

The goal difference would have to be accompanied by points or the GD means **** all. 

You have completely lost it. 

If you are saying we've had a couple of very heavy defeats and could do with winning some games by more goals, then I'd agree. 

We have and do. 

But you have gone off on one and lost the plot and seem to be arguing for the sake of it all for reasons best known to yourself. 

Goal difference is not an indication.  Some teams may be inconsistent and leather the dross but fail to get enough points in the bigger games thus falling behind more consistent teams.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

It's ''attack dogs'' if you don't mind, sir.

:lol:

I'll remember for next time.

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

FTFY

It would help if the gif would upload :(

Edited by Governor Tarkin

I know what the guy's sayig, I look at goal difference as a factor when I'm thinking of a bet.

But it's very simplistic, it's no more then a possible indicator. Before the injuries our goal difference was great, a bad run naturally changed that, and I'd say that shows that a Hearts team weakened by injury is indeed poor compared to the top teams, but us at full strength really isn't.

A guy who thinks our manager's a dud and holding the club back is going to see things negatively, this isn't surprising. 

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Support is full of them. It's embarassing. 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I see the vultures are circling again, Enzo. ?

Attack dogs apparently Guv'nor. Shih tzu's I presume ?

Bridge of Djoum

Enzo trying his absolute hardest to be negative during positive times.

Good on you, little buddy.

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Goal difference

IMG_20190204_182855.jpg

Painful. Lost the league on goal average when we would have won it on goal difference. 

The rules changed and then we lost on goal difference in 86 when we would have won it on goal average.

Always the bridesmaid, etc. Either way I'm sure we all agree that picking up as many points while scoring as many goals and conceding as few goals as possible should be the aim.

Edited by Guest