Time wasting with corners

kila

Annoy the hell out of me when there is still 6-8 mins left to play and a goal between it.

Could've cost us a point today as St Johnstone won the ball back both times and broke. Just try and score another eh (well we did thankfully!)

Ok maybe not hold it in the corner but play it short when 1 up. They have the height advantage and late on do we want to put the ball in for a 50 50, call up the centre backs and expose ourselves to a potential counter or play it short and guarantee possession with a short pass. Not the worst idea 

15 minutes ago, kila said:

Annoy the hell out of me when there is still 6-8 mins left to play and a goal between it.

Could've cost us a point today as St Johnstone won the ball back both times and broke. Just try and score another eh (well we did thankfully!)

pisses me off, we are ****ing hopeless at it.

As you say 87mins on the clock and 4mins stoppage (there will always be at least 3)

18 minutes ago, kila said:

Good idea if you keep the ball.

Jambof3tornado
20 minutes ago, kila said:

Agreed.

8 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Good idea if you keep the ball.

We never manage it, and even if we did the ref would invent a free kick against us.

its a terrible idea. Worst case if we swing it in with just Vanecek is they win it and break. That’s almost a given if we try and keep it there.

it can work well if we try and work it into the box and use the space but I didn’t see evidence of that today

Edited by everton_jambo

St Johnstone kept three players up. Could have been suicide playing a bread and butter ball in for their keeper or defenders to take possession.

Was the right move.

27 minutes ago, kila said:

Your bang on the money there drove me potty same with the spell the team dropped further back,absolutely maddening.that apart well played lads.

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

St Johnstone kept three players up. Could have been suicide playing a bread and butter ball in for their keeper or defenders to take possession.

Was the right move.

This man knows his football , that is exactly why we did it 

loveofthegame

Doing it in the last min of injury time I can accept. Doing it with 6 mins left is criminal at 1-0. You waste 10/20 seconds tops.

my only gripe on an otherwise really decent day!!

4 minutes ago, red said:

Big Uche could do it for the whole game

Nah, I’d rather he did what he usually does, just runs with the ball in to the opponent’s half. Like the time he did that and Kieran Tierney kept bouncing off him like an adolescent girl v a fully grown adult man. ?

40 minutes ago, Homme said:

Was the right move.

:spoton:

Wish we would leave more players up top when defending corners. Quite often we have all 11 back inside our defensive third.

42 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

It won’t be a problem when Uche is back. He’ll hold it himself for as long as he wants. 

This just made me laugh way more than it should as i remembered players bouncing off him at the start of the season

1 hour ago, kila said:

Agreed 

We bring on our 6ft 4 new centre forward who is  eager to prove his worth after a public slating  then play not only 1 but 2 useless short corners which the opposition gain the ball from  unbelievable 

Thank goodness Morrison popped up with the 2nd or the threads tonight could have been ow so different 

other than that rant good result against sticky opposition 

55 minutes ago, Homme said:

Was the right move.

But if Berra and/or Souttar had gone forward that would have quickly changed.

Keeping the ball in the corner is not a bad tactic if it results in getting a series of corners or throw ins but we are incapable of actually doing it.

Those were two pitiful attempts and wasted seconds at most. Taking time to set up for a proper corner would have taken considerably longer.

The best way to finish a game when you are a goal up is to score a second.

5 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

But if Berra and/or Souttar had gone forward that would have quickly changed.

Keeping the ball in the corner is not a bad tactic if it results in getting a series of corners or throw ins but we are incapable of actually doing it.

Those were two pitiful attempts and wasted seconds at most. Taking time to set up for a proper corner would have taken considerably longer.

The aim is to run the clock down, even if that means a few extra seconds till they get the ball to a keeper to take a goal kick.

Teams the world over do it. And it very rarely works in their favour. They know that though but are happy the clock has ran down further.

Why would we throw defenders forward when we are winning 1-0 with minutes or seconds to play? Yet again that would be a ridiculous thing to do.

Edited by Homme

7 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Also, we did that. Through sensibly hitting on the counter attack. Not going gung ho pushing central defenders up needlessly!

The 'punt it up the park' brigade well and truly alive I see.

Edited by Homme

1 hour ago, kila said:

Used up 5/6 minutes in that whole sequence including the free kick

Good strategy 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Agreed. We looked desperate doing that.

14 minutes ago, Homme said:

The aim is to run the clock down, even if that means a few extra seconds till they get the ball to a keeper to take a goal kick.

Teams the world over do it. And it very rarely works in their favour. They know that though but are happy the clock has ran down further.

Why would we throw defenders forward when we are winning 1-0 with minutes or seconds to play? Yet again that would be a ridiculous thing to do.

It's clearly different if there are only seconds to go.

We do it too soon and we don't do it well enough. The aim is to get another corner, free kick or throw in ideally or at worst to concede a throw at the corner. We conceded a goal kick within about 3 seconds.

I'm not suggesting throwing everyone forward but at least committing a few men and keeping the cross away from the keeper. Lots of teams around the world do that.

10 minutes ago, Homme said:

Also, we did that. Through sensibly hitting on the counter attack. Not going gung ho pushing central defenders up needlessly!

The 'punt it up the park' brigade well and truly alive I see.

Since the game invented a corner to my knowledge has been a good goal scoring opportunity.which puts opposition defences under pressure  Certainly never heard it called a punt up the park ?

we were the team in the ascendancy  who should have been looking to put the game to bed . We were putting our own defence under pressure as St Johnstone won the ball easily twice 

1 hour ago, kila said:

I had no problem playing safe at that stage of the game.