Beast Boy

Presenter Rachel Riley has been receiving some pretty abhorrent abuse on social media recently. The presenter has been called all sorts of names and had her motives attacked for speaking out against antisemitism. These are her views, and she has been giving them online recently. I don’t agree with all of them, but I’ve found the way she’s been rounded on pretty disturbing.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/the-londoner-rachel-riley-ups-the-ante-over-antisemitism-a4046551.html%3famp

Twitter really is a horrible medium. The lowest common denominator are able to make ‘a name’ for themselves by latching on to a host, and using their popularity as a way of getting recognised themselves. Like a parasite.

The trick appears to be:

Follow a well known celebrity, and flatter them for a while. Then stalk them whilst popping in a few likes and platitudes... then, when you see an ‘in’ pile on top of them and encourage other cyber no-marks to do the same. End result? Despite being an arsehole, people recognise your name.

I’ve followed this for a while now and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

She’s not the only person who’s been subjected to this, but she stands out because of her popularity.

Maybe should have titled the thread ‘Twitter’ instead? Twitter seriously is the worst medium out there in social media land. I don’t see it lasting much longer in its current format.

Back to Rachel for a second...

Anyone else the father of a wee lassie? Soppy, I know, but I absolutely loved her wee Christmas advert where she talks about watching the football with her Da. Makes my heart swell. I want my wee three year old to do the same. And to enjoy such happy and nostalgic memories of doing so. ❤️

40A7825F-AA77-4F6E-A140-D38A505ADA2B.jpeg

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

First I’ve seen of this. Going by that article is the jist of it that she’s accusing the Labour Party of being anti-semetic and as a result being trolled online by Labour supporters?

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

First I’ve seen of this. Going by that article is the jist of it that she’s accusing the Labour Party of being anti-semetic and as a result being trolled online by Labour supporters?

Pretty much. I don’t think that’s the reason behind it at all though. I think she is being used for her popularity and her decision to just speak her mind and share her opinions on a topic that obviously means a lot to her. The people who are rounding on her however are pretty vile. 

It’s all about chasing fame/infamy, as far as I can tell.

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Like most social media. It’s not really the platform that’s the issue, it’s just certain people are naturally unpleasant individuals for all manner of reasons.

Though Twitter by its nature, removes nuance of thinking and creates binary options in the main. This results in fanatical looms for any subject  being attracted to arguing absolutes. 

Not it for me. I can barely and rarely use it. 

Thar said I don’t think this thread is about Rachael Riley, well kind off but maybe fishing for something else. 

It’s all about the link that I posted. It was published 12 hours ago.

This is a current affairs issue. Heres a quote from the LES link:

17197C16-3889-471E-824B-CAFE4E86B091.png

Just now, Lord BJ said:

I believe Rachael added alot of the twitter abuse she receives is from Uraquay ?

Hopefully by saying that, you don’t get a very current affairs story shut down on here. :rolleyes:

It’s something that is happening right now, and it’s a valid topic. 

A once prominent KBer has got in a right stooshie with her over this in the last couple of weeks. 

I won’t name him as he hasn’t posted on this thread, but if I said the blogpost he wrote about her was over 10,000 words long then you can probably make a fair guess. 

She comes across as an arsehole online tbh. She's not adverse to telling folk she disagrees with to '**** off' without debate and seems to think her point of view is the only valid one. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, The Brow said:

She comes across as an arsehole online tbh. She's not adverse to telling folk she disagrees with to '**** off' without debate and seems to think her point of view is the only valid one. 

Still would, though. O

6 hours ago, Dave de le Noir said:

A once prominent KBer has got in a right stooshie with her over this in the last couple of weeks. 

I won’t name him as he hasn’t posted on this thread, but if I said the blogpost he wrote about her was over 10,000 words long then you can probably make a fair guess. 

Aye, but he didn't write it, it would have been cut & pasted.

:interehjrling:

3 hours ago, The Brow said:

He comes across as an arsehole online tbh. He’s not adverse to telling folk he disagrees with to '**** off' without debate and seems to think his point of view is the only valid one. 

FTFY

Edited by To Be Frank

I like when she wears short tight dresses, I know nothing else about her. Lets all just think of her doing some math in a skin tight hearts top that just covers her bum.

Placid Casual
5 hours ago, The Brow said:

I agree, she has went way down in my estimation.

Edited by Placid Casual

Placid Casual

As for Twitter, it is a shame that it has become more of a cesspit, now more arseholes have jumped aboard. 

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, The Brow said:

That’s where I am. She’s said some weird stuff, “I don’t look like a Jew” etc that hasn’t went down well. What does a Jew look like?

Supposed Anti semetism is as tiresome as supposed islamaphobia tbh. Always looking for a grievance and to make people afraid to say anything. 

She’s coming across a right arsehole and looking like she’s auditioning for the tories imo. 

Give people a platform where they can say whatever they want, whilst retaining complete anonymity and they exploit that opportunity to the maximum. 

It’s actually rather disturbing. 

Does he honestly expect people to read all of that? I scrolled down to the bottom, thought "**** that" and got back on with my uni work. If you aren't putting your opinions across in a format in which people are going to read them then you aren't making your point effectively.

11 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Does he honestly expect people to read all of that? I scrolled down to the bottom, thought "**** that" and got back on with my uni work. If you aren't putting your opinions across in a format in which people are going to read them then you aren't making your point effectively.

Yeah

So basically this woman Riley who is on a tv show has campaigned against parts of the Labour Party accusing members particularly Corbyn supporters of being anti-Jewish. During chat on social media she and supporters  have been accused of bullying including of a 16 year old who has said she is suicidal as a result. 

Also Labour supporters have pointed out that being anti-Jewish isn't a restricted to people who support Corbyn. 

11 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Maybe should have titled the thread ‘Twitter’ instead? Twitter seriously is the worst medium out there in social media land. I don’t see it lasting much longer in its current format.

That'd be a shame as there's still some amusing stuff on there.

Edited by Duchess

57 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

I don't think he writes stuff for people to read.  It's more like some kind of lonely therapy.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Stokesy said:

He's not getting his hole, is he?

1*fNqvFyoOXrH34dnxvqW9pg.png

19,000 unread emails; pinned links to a dictionary and a grammar guide. No evidence of hole-getting.

I P Knightley

Blimey:

Until recent weeks, Rachel Riley’s only claim to fame was as a fairly well-known TV celebrity: most notably, on Countdown. She’s also a Manchester United fan… from Essex. Her and thousands of others.

"Hearts supporter" from Norwich with no known links to Gorgie or Edinburgh has a pop at someone who's famously been raised by a Man Utd supporting father who took her to Old Trafford regularly as a young lass.

And, then, this:

He (Alan Sugar) is an extremely well-known public figure.

Hardly anyone even knows that he’s Jewish, let alone cares about it.

'Hardly anyone'? The man who famously bought Tottenham Hotspur? Hardly anyone knows he's Jewish? WTAF?!?

I've stopped reading now.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

He's never had his hole, has he?

Ftfy.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

You're forgetting the nanny.

Figment of his imagination imo.

Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, Cade said:

Thread about internet weirdos ganging up on someone results in internet weirdos ganging up on other internet weirdo.

:whistling:

Thread about internet weirdos ganging up on someone results in internet weirdo commenting on internet weirdos ganging up on other internet weirdo.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Thread about internet weirdos ganging up on someone results in internet weirdo commenting on internet weirdos ganging up on other internet weirdo.

:lol:

:spoton: :gok:

This bit of the article:

”She says the abuse she receives on Twitter comes from accounts with “markers of the red Labour rose” that  claim “to be ‘against racism in ALL forms’”, which Riley says are  their “signature giveaways”. 

makes much more sense now!

59 minutes ago, Boof said:

Hope you mean Riley...?

Natch. 

Gear back in the water. 

So Shaun gave up on trying to be some South American football correspondent and has now decided that politics is his game? The man is desperate for attention. He will absolutely love the fact that Rachel Riley has referenced him in a speech. He's weirder than Irvine Jambo.

17 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

That’s where I am. She’s said some weird stuff, “I don’t look like a Jew” etc that hasn’t went down well. What does a Jew look like?

Supposed Anti semetism is as tiresome as supposed islamaphobia tbh. Always looking for a grievance and to make people afraid to say anything. 

She’s coming across a right arsehole and looking like she’s auditioning for the tories imo. 

100% 

Shes a knob. 

13 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

So Shaun gave up on trying to be some South American football correspondent and has now decided that politics is his game? The man is desperate for attention. He will absolutely love the fact that Rachel Riley has referenced him in a speech. He's weirder than Irvine Jambo.

FTFY

Geoff Kilpatrick
On 24/01/2019 at 10:33, Lord BJ said:

Like most social media. It’s not really the platform that’s the issue, it’s just certain people are naturally unpleasant individuals for all manner of reasons.

Though Twitter by its nature, removes nuance of thinking and creates binary options in the main. This results in fanatical looms for any subject  being attracted to arguing absolutes. 

Not it for me. I can barely and rarely use it. 

Thar said I don’t think this thread is about Rachael Riley, well kind off but maybe fishing for something else. 

:spoton: (except the spelling, natch).

Her article is just a load of crap but any personal abuse is out of order. She is just part of the annual 'anti-semitism' jamboree around holocaust memorial day. I personally prefer the Stalin memorial day when the whole world shows our shame over the 20million Russians who died. Or the Khmer Rouge memorial day remembering the.million who were killed. What, these deaths weren't important enough to remember?? 

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Her article is just a load of crap but any personal abuse is out of order. She is just part of the annual 'anti-semitism' jamboree around holocaust memorial day. I personally prefer the Stalin memorial day when the whole world shows our shame over the 20million Russians who died. Or the Khmer Rouge memorial day remembering the.million who were killed. What, these deaths weren't important enough to remember?? 

We should have an Empire Day where we remember the millions killed in creating and maintaining the Empire to make the UK rich and powerful. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We should have an Empire Day where we remember the millions killed in creating and maintaining the Empire to make the UK rich and powerful. 

Isn't that Remembrance Day ?

Is it just me?

Tracy Ann Ooberman's tweets don't look that bad.

It would have been advisable to stop when she was told they were having a negative effect on the girl, but the content is hardly bullying as SL claims.

• redm locked this topic