Orwell Hearts

Thumper

Fair play to the Orwell lads for keeping it going many a good supporters club now sadly gone. Cross Keys, green tree, busy bee some of them I went on as a lad.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thumper

• DETTY29

• 132goals1958

• Stephane Grappelli

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Fair play to the Orwell lads for keeping it going many a good supporters club now sadly gone. Cross Keys, green tree, busy bee some of them I went on as a lad.

Aye, you used to get some good inter collaboration with the Orwell and Cross Keys.  Ron Borthwick fae the Cross Keys used to come on the Orwell sometimes and vice versa.

I mind once, Terry knew Ron Borthwick from way back and got him to hold the bus up even though we weren't late anyway.

It was Ron Borthwick too who told me up in Dingwall that somebody had flung a chair at Robinson.  It was one of they real 9/11 moments you get as a Hearts supporter.  Ironic really because the actual  9/11 was just two weeks before.

7 hours ago, Thumper said:

Aye, you used to get some good inter collaboration with the Orwell and Cross Keys.  Ron Borthwick fae the Cross Keys used to come on the Orwell sometimes and vice versa.

I mind once, Terry knew Ron Borthwick from way back and got him to hold the bus up even though we weren't late anyway.

It was Ron Borthwick too who told me up in Dingwall that somebody had flung a chair at Robinson.  It was one of they real 9/11 moments you get as a Hearts supporter.  Ironic really because the actual  9/11 was just two weeks before.

John Borthwick was it not? 

The Treasurer
11 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Very true.

Not so long ago you'd have 20-30 buses for a run of the mill league game, now you're lucky if there is 5 or 6 buses

On 15/01/2019 at 16:40, PTBCAL said:

I always thought the few occasions I got the Orwell bus in the early 90s that it was a small step up from the Mercer Picnic buses ?

:)

What were the Mercer Picnic buses?

34 minutes ago, Thumper said:

:)

What were the Mercer Picnic buses?

Buses that the club ran to away games from Tynecastle, back in the 80s and early 90s.  Tickets bought in advance from the TO. We used them a few times.

Stephane Grappelli
20 hours ago, saki jambo said:

I remember going to Bernard Manning's club in 1998 with the Orwell 

??

Went on the Orwell to that ****ing semi with Airdrie in 1995 and the pre match venue was an Orange Lodge.

2 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Went on the Orwell to that ****ing semi with Airdrie in 1995 and the pre match venue was an Orange Lodge.

Recall that as well.but I would have thought it was more than 23 years ago, Maybe same pre match venue but different games

On 15/01/2019 at 10:50, Sexton Hardcastle said:

The carnage in the function room when Neilson slammed home the winner in Basel. Chairs and bodies everywhere.

I remember the contents of somebody's pint hitting the ceiling. Also a misguided hibby being told where to go when he was stupid enough to let it be known.

25 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I remember the contents of somebody's pint hitting the ceiling. Also a misguided hibby being told where to go when he was stupid enough to let it be known.

He celebrated when Basel equalised but for his own safety made a hasty exit. 

3 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Recall that as well.but I would have thought it was more than 23 years ago, Maybe same pre match venue but different games

For the Airdrie semi, whether it was 92 or 95 you and I went on a mini bus separate from Orwell and went to Harry Ramsdens prior to the game.  Probably 95 as I remember it was a glorious day, result apart.

But we certainly were at  an Orange Lodge with the Orwell in Airdrie at some point.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:43, saki jambo said:

I remember going to Bernard Manning's club in 1998 with the Orwell 

??

Slightly off topic but Gary Mackay's smoker in the Tartan club.

Bernard Manning, Derek Ferguson singing the sash, Wayne Foster banging a tray to the beat, strippers and I'm sure a python, maybe two.

42 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

For the Airdrie semi, whether it was 92 or 95 you and I went on a mini bus separate from Orwell and went to Harry Ramsdens prior to the game.  Probably 95 as I remember it was a glorious day, result apart.

But we certainly were at  an Orange Lodge with the Orwell in Airdrie at some point.

Yes I do remember but I thought it was earlier Good to look back down memory lane. ?

14 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Slightly off topic but Gary Mackay's smoker in the Tartan club.

Bernard Manning, Derek Ferguson singing the sash, Wayne Foster banging a tray to the beat, strippers and I'm sure a python, maybe two.

Someone jumped on the stag in anger and grabbed the mike off him.

On 17/01/2019 at 16:20, Enzo Chiefo said:

Buses that the club ran to away games from Tynecastle, back in the 80s and early 90s.  Tickets bought in advance from the TO. We used them a few times.

Cheers mate. Didn't realise folk called them that!  Got them a few times myself.  Got you to the game and back for a decent fare.

36 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Cheers mate. Didn't realise folk called them that!  Got them a few times myself.  Got you to the game and back for a decent fare.

No, i hadn"t heard that name either. Just knew them as the Mercer Buses. Yes, they were good back then. Back in the days we would take 7k to Parkhead and 5K to Aberdeen.  Changed days.

Rupert Custard
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No, i hadn"t heard that name either. Just knew them as the Mercer Buses. Yes, they were good back then. Back in the days we would take 7k to Parkhead and 5K to Aberdeen.  Changed days.

I’m sure there as a game in the early 80’s when we had the entire Broomloan stand at Ibrox when John Colquhoun scored both in a 2-0 win. If I’m correct that would have been 7,500 in that end.

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

The one and only time we were on a ‘Mercer bus’ was to the LC Final in ‘96.

Snowy day, freezing, not much drink, defeat.

Hell of an afternoon!

Doctor FinnBarr
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Hell of an afternoon!

It was a hell of a job just to get along the M8 past the outskirts of the Harthill, Shotts, Fauldhouse "snow triangle"

Rupert Custard
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Supporters buses seem to be almost extinct. Most folk use their own cars to get to games now it would seem. 

Sadly true. You saw a lot of ‘adult’ life, good and bad, as a youngster travelling on the buses and had to grow up quick. You also learnt a lot about respect and pecking orders and when to keep your mouth shut. Being cheeky to the wrong guy would see a very non-PC reaction which would stay with you for life. Lessons in life, I suppose.

Doctor FinnBarr
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Supporters buses seem to be almost extinct. Most folk use their own cars to get to games now it would seem. 

I use the Whitburn bus nowadays, at a tenner its cheaper than the bus/train/bus I would need to get to Tynie under my own steam

And they allow, "cough" drink

Edited by bikerjambo

On 18/01/2019 at 19:32, Enzo Chiefo said:

Aye, scary.  We still have a great away support but not like it was.

Stephane Grappelli
On 18/01/2019 at 19:32, Enzo Chiefo said:

I remember going to buy tickets for that bus and sometimes Gary Mackay would be serving behind the counter. Top man.

On 15/01/2019 at 21:37, Silvery_Moon said:

I am sure I recall a couple of Hearts fans leaving to go for a drive on the night of the 1998 final.

I am sure one of them was on the roof of the car singing the Hearts song. Thankfully they reappeared some time later.

I wonder who that was ????

Absolute legend

16 hours ago, RealMaroonCF said:

Absolute legend

Mind that anaw, was it the Saturday or the Sunday?

Big Johno cavorting around the car park with his cock oot to the horror of Marcel, the wee Tashist sidekick and the wedding guests was definitely the Saturday.

17 hours ago, RealMaroonCF said:

Absolute legend

Yep definitely happened.

Sure it was a white Nova, or similar.

I may or may not who the two who were inolved.

Couple of the younger laddies (and I was only 29 at the time) and not me.

Group of us used to wind up Marcel relentlessly.

Used to do the Thursday night quiz and when it was finished, got the barmaids to switch the TV over to Live TV @ 10 o'clock for notably the topless darts.

At times we didn't even watch it, was just to piss him off.

9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Group of us used to wind up Marcel relentlessly.

Used to do the Thursday night quiz and when it was finished, got the barmaids to switch the TV over to Live TV @ 10 o'clock for notably the topless darts.

At times we didn't even watch it, was just to piss him off.

Aye believe that if you like. ---- Actually  the halcyon days of the Orwell  was during the time Moira was mine host Last orders then a little nod to hang around for after time scoops. Many a time made the short journey home to the sound of the birds chirping.

On 18/01/2019 at 22:17, Rupert Custard said:

I’m sure there as a game in the early 80’s when we had the entire Broomloan stand at Ibrox when John Colquhoun scored both in a 2-0 win. If I’m correct that would have been 7,500 in that end.

28/12/1985 I think was the date on a very cold and frosty day with JC skipping past Donkey and gliding over the pitch and banging 2 in 0-2 Jambos. Superb day.

On another note I did have a soft spot for Marcels older daughter who would waitress on the weekends.

4 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Aye believe that if you like. ---- Actually  the halcyon days of the Orwell  was during the time Moira was mine host Last orders then a little nod to hang around for after time scoops. Many a time made the short journey home to the sound of the birds chirping.

Or Robin telling off a member of staff for not putting a head on pint of Strongbow.

Notably Friday's, but many a 2, 3, much later lock in.

6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Yep definitely happened.

Sure it was a white Nova, or similar.

I may or may not who the two who were inolved.

Couple of the younger laddies (and I was only 29 at the time) and not me.

The question is. Where did they go?

7 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

The question is. Where did they go?

Only a couple of minutes tops round the block.

Combination of funny as hell at the time, but pretty stupid too.

On 18/01/2019 at 22:31, Morgan said:

Hell of an afternoon!

That was a hell of a day.  Slightly overdrowned my sorrows that night too, worst hangover of my life the next day!

45 minutes ago, Thumper said:

That was a hell of a day.  Slightly overdrowned my sorrows that night too, worst hangover of my life the next day!

Ouch!  

We made up for the lack of drink before the game, once we got back to Edinburgh.

Drowning ones sorrows always seems a good idea at the time!  I’ve learned too many times that it’s not a good plan, but will do it again I’m sure. :sad: 

We ended up in Mathers and then Montys that night, drinking for Scotland we were. :cheers::

Edited by Morgan

16 hours ago, Morgan said:

Ouch!  

We made up for the lack of drink before the game, once we got back to Edinburgh.

Drowning ones sorrows always seems a good idea at the time!  I’ve learned too many times that it’s not a good plan, but will do it again I’m sure. :sad: 

We ended up in Mathers and then Montys that night, drinking for Scotland we were. :cheers::

Aye!  Alwaysa good idea at the time but not so much the next day.

At least it was a good night despite the result.

On 22/01/2019 at 07:50, DETTY29 said:

Only a couple of minutes tops round the block.

Combination of funny as hell at the time, but pretty stupid too.

This

(The route was up and round the roundabout beyond the tennis courts)

Brazilian style get on top of the car and celebrate. Stupidity plus. 

11 hours ago, RealMaroonCF said:

This

(The route was up and round the roundabout beyond the tennis courts)

Brazilian style get on top of the car and celebrate. Stupidity plus. 

@DETTY29

So was it the Saturday or Sunday night do we reckon?

Stephane Grappelli
On 17/01/2019 at 18:25, 132goals1958 said:

Aye, I think they went there quite a lot.  It was in Baillieston if my memory serves me.

Always seemed a rather strange choice of venue for me.  The Orwell prided itself on being open to people of all faiths and none, even that one that John Travolta is into with the spaceships and aliens and that.  Choosing an Orange Lodge was akin to waving a big massive tadger at all of that.

1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Aye, I think they went there quite a lot.  It was in Baillieston if my memory serves me.

Always seemed a rather strange choice of venue for me.  The Orwell prided itself on being open to people of all faiths and none, even that one that John Travolta is into with the spaceships and aliens and that.  Choosing an Orange Lodge was akin to waving a big massive tadger at all of that.

Was not my cup of tea either.

Stephane Grappelli
On 24/01/2019 at 20:40, 132goals1958 said:

Was not my cup of tea either.

Well said mate.  Quite rightly there was zero tolerance of any sectarian crap on the bus but then they would take folk to a place like that.  Weird.

On 24/01/2019 at 00:10, Thumper said:

@DETTY29

So was it the Saturday or Sunday night do we reckon?

Sunday. Never took the car the Saturday 

5 a side in the car park was a blast 

We went to a pub called The Ring in Baillie before the game....only went there because the previous visits to the lodge and the polish club resulted in the rangers 5 1 and that fekin coca cola cup game when it was snowing 

Hmmmm May be the Saturday actually. 

Mind the Sunday we went to tynie and to golden rule.

Dunno. Blur !!!!

As said previously. Horribly avoidable. Not a proud moment 

On 15/01/2019 at 10:50, Sexton Hardcastle said:

The carnage in the function room when Neilson slammed home the winner in Basel. Chairs and bodies everywhere.

I remember that well. Heaving it was.

Stephane Grappelli
11 hours ago, RealMaroonCF said:

Wee Robbo....wears a blue smock

Pay her a fiver...

Served us beer all day absolute dirt cheap...she was about 95 ???

Place goes quiet after the first chorus then a voice pipes up-

"She likes a wee whisky, she likes a wee rum, she likes a .... up her bum!"

?