Orwell Hearts

Thumper

Good boys the Orwell boys. 

Anyone got any favourite Orwell memories.  I'm sure once 20 or 30 of the boys went to a game dressed as Rousset.

The annual trip down south aye an eventful one anaw.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thumper

• DETTY29

• 132goals1958

• Stephane Grappelli

2006. The Cup Final weekend, then the trip down to Liverpool a couple of weeks later for the Manchester Hearts game and POY dance at Goodison. Stephane Adam drunk and dancing with the cup, the Orwell flag hanging from the hotel in Liverpool city centre, Angels ??

Plenty other good memories but those stick out the most. 

1 hour ago, Fraggle said:

2006. The Cup Final weekend, then the trip down to Liverpool a couple of weeks later for the Manchester Hearts game and POY dance at Goodison. Stephane Adam drunk and dancing with the cup, the Orwell flag hanging from the hotel in Liverpool city centre, Angels ??

Plenty other good memories but those stick out the most. 

I was at that. Alex Young suite at Goodis on Park. The great man himself was in attendance. 

After the 1998 Cup Final we ended up back at the Orwell Hotel to continue celebrating our famous win.

When we arrived,  there was a wedding reception in the function suite in full swing.

The groom and the wedding party were all decked out in the hubz tartan. Some  initial banter developed into the losers getting it tight, then some scuffles ensued.

The rest of their night was pretty miserable for them. Very pleasing!

Two buses breaking down last season wasn’t a highlight but it’s a memory. 

Along with being stuck on the M8 on the night the game against Rangers was abandoned because someone thought leaving the West End at half six was enough time to get to Ibrox. 

36 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

The carnage in the function room when Neilson slammed home the winner in Basel. Chairs and bodies everywhere.

I don’t think that was Orwell hearts that organised that, same guy had a similar showing going on in the Ettrick hotel that night

The Treasurer
53 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Two buses breaking down last season wasn’t a highlight but it’s a memory. 

Along with being stuck on the M8 on the night the game against Rangers was abandoned because someone thought leaving the West End at half six was enough time to get to Ibrox. 

Being stuck in the middle of nowhere on the road to Peterhead wasn't great, but TBF we did make the kick-off.

Although with hindsight, sitting at the side of the road might have been more fun that going to the game.

Great bunch of dedicated Hearts fans on the Orwell bus

2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Being stuck in the middle of nowhere on the road to Peterhead wasn't great, but TBF we did make the kick-off.

Although with hindsight, sitting at the side of the road might have been more fun that going to the game.

Great bunch of dedicated Hearts fans on the Orwell bus

Give it its due, it’s a better bus than the West End was. At least you get a toilet on the way to Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

That bus actually left the Royal Ettrick at 1745hrs.  Wish we could predict the weather.  Can't please everyone,  but 2 hours would normally have been plenty on a Friday night. 

Thanks for your feedback, nice to be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Trained One said:

That bus actually left the Royal Ettrick at 1745hrs.  Wish we could predict the weather.  Can't please everyone,  but 2 hours would normally have been plenty on a Friday night. 

I’m not getting involved in a petty argument over a game that happened about 4 years ago. 

But I’m certainly not the only one who thought that night was an utter ****ing shambles. 

The Treasurer
23 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Give it its due, it’s a better bus than the West End was. At least you get a toilet on the way to Aberdeen. 

If it has 4 wheels it's already ahead of the wrecks that we used to get on the West End !!!!!

delpieroismagic

I mind heading over to the Orwell after the Gillsland Hotel ran out of draught beer on the 98 Cup final weekend, sure it ended up with game of fitba in the Orwell car park - 5 half time, 10 the winner and no broken windows.

Jean Louis Valois

My earliest memories of going to Hearts games involve the Orwell, some great times in there. Have vague memories of a bus load coming down to Kelso one Saturday during the summer, maybe late nighties. I’m also Sure their used to be a meal before the last game of the season through in the lounge aswell. Great place and sorely missed.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

The carnage in the function room when Neilson slammed home the winner in Basel. Chairs and bodies everywhere.

That was mental!

Think the only time I've been in was the "summit" where Chris Robinson was talking about the future of the Club - must have been around 2004.  Leslie Deans spoke and said that with the expanded Freedom of Movement in Europe (or was it more eastern European countries joining the EU?), you never know, the Hearts team could be filled with cheap eastern European players.  Everyone laughed.  I still wonder whether he knew that Vlad was in the pipeline.

Robinson's meet the fans night in wake of selling Tynecastle was eventful.

To an extent, it was fair play to him for turning up and taking the heat.

For the bloke that took it out on the bar staff later, and chucked a glass towards them in the bar, not so.

Maiden Gorgie
2 hours ago, durhamhearts said:

Did Vlad not travel to an away game on the Orwell bus sure I saw a pic in the press

Livi away, 4-0 game (i think).

remember going back to the orwell after we were horsed by rangers in the scottish cup final of 1996....place was packed...and and they had The Eurovision Song Contest showing on a big screen....surreal...but...Ooh Ahh..just a little Bit !

6 hours ago, suds66 said:

After the 1998 Cup Final we ended up back at the Orwell Hotel to continue celebrating our famous win.

When we arrived,  there was a wedding reception in the function suite in full swing.

The groom and the wedding party were all decked out in the hubz tartan. Some  initial banter developed into the losers getting it tight, then some scuffles ensued.

Remember it well.

Wedding guests confronted by the sight of Big Johno stripping stark bollock naked in the car par, telling anyone who'd listen that he would have been in The Full Monty if he could have talked Sheffield.

Marcel was not impressed.  Not ****ing impressed in the ****ing slightest.

6 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

That was a great night, glass everywhere!!

5 hours ago, Trained One said:

5 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I’m not getting involved in a petty argument over a game that happened about 4 years ago. 

But I’m certainly not the only one who thought that night was an utter ****ing shambles. 

Come on boys, this is meant to be a happy thread.

Don't be mean and keep it ****ing clean.

7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I was at that. Alex Young suite at Goodis on Park. The great man himself was in attendance. 

Twas indeed a great night, made better that we had won the game v Manchester Hearts in some "colourful" public park in Liverpool ?. The drinks in the boozer across the road afterwards was a great laugh as well. 

I have a memory of Stephane Adam on the dance floor with the Cup in the middle of everyone like it was a Bar mitzvah. 

queensferryjambo
9 hours ago, Thumper said:

Good boys the Orwell boys. 

Anyone got any favourite Orwell memories.  I'm sure once 20 or 30 of the boys went to a game dressed as Rousset.

The annual trip down south aye an eventful one anaw.

I remember Dunfermline away just after Christmas 1997 a pile of Rousset's coming through the turnstiles (the game when Salvatori scored a cracker).

I can only presume it was them :)

6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

For the bloke that took it out on the bar staff later, and chucked a glass towards them in the bar, not so.

Cheers mate.  Was Marcel still around in those days? Wouldn't be the first time someone tried it on his pub and came off second best.

Wiry wee fella.  Deceptively hard.

6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

One of those nights that remain etched in the memory. Standing room only.

8 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Cheers mate.  Was Marcel still around in those days? Wouldn't be the first time someone tried it on his pub and came off second best.

In all the times I went to the Orwell (which were numerous)  I never saw that side of Marcel.When I did see him behind the bar I thought I was in Madame Tusseauds.?

2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I remember Dunfermline away just after Christmas 1997 a pile of Rousset's coming through the turnstiles (the game when Salvatori scored a cracker).

I can only presume it was them :)

Rousset 1.jpg

Rousset 2.jpg

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Remember it well.

Wedding guests confronted by the sight of Big Johno stripping stark bollock naked in the car par, telling anyone who'd listen that he would have been in The Full Monty if he could have talked Sheffield.

Marcel was not impressed.  Not ****ing impressed in the ****ing slightest.

Brilliant!!

9 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Ha ha.....I remember being on a table at that point!!!!! Absolute bedlam!

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Sure it would have been Kenny Waugh and Festival Inns by them.

10 hours ago, suds66 said:

Ah 1998 Cup Final weekend.

Heaving Friday

Heaving all day and night Saturday.

Heaving on the Sunday after the parade, including the function suite being open.

Full bar Monday afternoon and most of Monday night.

Busy Tuesday

Marcel - I lost money that weekend due to the number of glass breakages.

Aye right.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Heaving Friday

Heaving on the Sunday after the parade, including the function suite being open.

Busy Tuesday

Aye right.

Yep and I can confirm he said it with a straight face.

Orwell was where my family held functions after funerals.  Poignant memories.  Was very sad when I heard it had closed.  Still am.

Last time I was there before a Saturday afternoon Hearts game it was packed to the door and the atmosphere was brilliant.

4-0 win.

I am sure I recall a couple of Hearts fans leaving to go for a drive on the night of the 1998 final.

I am sure one of them was on the roof of the car singing the Hearts song. Thankfully they reappeared some time later.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Heaving Friday

Busy Tuesday

Aye right.

Can just picture him saying that.

Mind his sidekick anaw?  Torn faced wee Gestapo looking prick with the dodgy 'tache.

I ended up somewhere after the ‘98 final!

It was a great party, been back a few times trying to work out where it was! I know we won the cup but can’t work out where the party was! I am being serious!

Was there a bar in it, turn towards the right side  after entering the ‘foyer’ of the building??

And it had a baby grand piano in it??

Edited by Jambo-Fox

Fxxx the SPFL
10 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Sure there was a bog on one bus they had to Aberdeen or just pish in Joey's coat pocket

2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Rousset 1.jpg

Rousset 2.jpg

Arguably THE firm in Scotland in their day those boys.  Many a rival firm underestimated them to their cost, fooled by the smiles and baby faces.  You fought one you fought them all.  Bound by a love of the love club and their love for each other.

19 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Harsh  

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Where was the Orwell Hotel as a matter of fact? Think it must've been shut down while I was still a nipper.

Polwarth Terrace.  At traffic lights opposite church at top of Harrison Road.  In between Ettrick (gone) and Glisland (long time gone).

been here before
11 hours ago, Thumper said:

Arguably THE firm in Scotland in their day those boys.  Many a rival firm underestimated them to their cost, fooled by the smiles and baby faces.  You fought one you fought them all.  Bound by a love of the love club and their love for each other.

Anyone else re-read that in a Danny Dyer voice?

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Great club the Orwell, been an associate/overseas member for many years and have had the Orwell to thank for many hard to get tickets and seats on buses.

First memories were Bordeaux and Braga.

Unforgettable memories back in the Orwell after the Paul Hartley semi final, and the day after the final in 2006.

Orwell hotel sadly gone but the club still going strong (now based at West End on Palmerston Place) and a great bunch of guys.

queensferryjambo
15 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Rousset 1.jpg

Rousset 2.jpg

That is tremendous :)

I seem to remember when they were entering East End Park each time one of them came through the turnstiles a guy shouting - 'in goal for Hearts Gilles Rousset' and they done it for every Rousset who came through LOL. 

7 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Polwarth Terrace.  At traffic lights opposite church at top of Harrison Road.  In between Ettrick (gone) and Glisland (long time gone).

That's right.  I mind many a time before the bus to Aberdeen doing The Terrible Trio.  One in the Gillsland, one in the Ettrick then a VERY quick one in the Orwell. 

Whoever needed a pish on the bus first had to buy the pie suppers at Stonehaven.  They were great pie suppers though so you didn't mind, not really.