Suits

Alan_R

Right starting a new job next week, I'm needing a new suit. How much should I expect to pay for a decent one? Also any recommendations on where I should go? I want it to look good but I don't want to pay a fortune either.

thanks. AL.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. You can get them for bobbins in Asda but they are naff as hell. I would maybe go to Next, they do some decent suits and aren't too expensive.

chester copperpot

Suits are the same as most clothes now mate. You can spend as much or as little as you like.

I'd say ?300 should get you a decent one, but I have expensive tastes when it comes to my clothes.

Say What Again

The last time I was in Debenhams some of the guys suits were OK. They were by their in-house designers (Jeff Banks, John Rocha etc) but were reasonably smart and started at just over ?100.

ahright cheers guys. I was thinking between ?100-200 (less the better though as long as it looks ok to be honest.) I should get something decent for that right?

Someone else mentioned slaters, what that like?

chester copperpot
The last time I was in Debenhams some of the guys suits were OK. They were by their in-house designers (Jeff Banks, John Rocha etc) but were reasonably smart and started at just over ?100.

Tramp. ;)

Say What Again
I'd say ?300 should get you a decent one, but I have expensive tastes when it comes to my clothes.

That's about the price range I go for - but I wait until they're in the sale! :P

The last suit I bought was ?300 reduced to ?170, and the one before that was ?380 reduced to ?220.

:)

chester copperpot
ahright cheers guys. I was thinking between ?100-200 (less the better though as long as it looks ok to be honest.) I should get something decent for that right?

Someone else mentioned slaters, what that like?

I buy most of my work shirts from Slaters. Not bad quality, but their suits tend to be rather cheap looking IMO. You'll get one for about ?150 out of Slaters though.

Slaters, George Street, very nice suits for ?200-?300. If that's too much Next is your best bet.

I've never bought a suit from here but I'd have a look in McArthur Glen in Livingston, there's a few suit stores and you can pick up a few bargains, well worth a trip.

Don't buy some trendy fashion suit though, buy something classic, navy blue, grey, pin stripe etc, single breasted, three buttons. You don't want some purple, double breasted suit with five buttons and tiny lapels, you might look ok this year, but three years from now you'll look like a knob.

M&S suits are horrible. Cheap rubbish. I got nice grey Daniel Hechter suit in Frasers for ?240 (minus 20% for opening a store credit card - which has been chopped up).

I buy most of my work shirts from Slaters. Not bad quality, but their suits tend to be rather cheap looking IMO. You'll get one for about ?150 out of Slaters though.

They have "normal" suits that are as you describe, and a separate designer section that have much better quality designer stuff. Last three suits I bought all came from there.

Has Cecil Gee's closing down sale finished?

They had loads of offers around the end of April. Hugo Boss etc. half price.

Wee tip for the OP. If this is your first suit and you'll be wearing it every day, try and but two pairs of trousers.

I got measured not too long ago, I also know from that I look alot better with 3 buttoned suits.

Just having a quick look online (to minimise trailing around town) all seems to be these 2 button 'summer suits' at the mo.

I'm sure I'll find something looks like I'm going to have to go round for a proper look.

So on my list is: Slaters, Next and probably Frasers too. I should pretty much avoid everywhere else?

chester copperpot
They have "normal" suits that are as you describe, and a separate designer section that have much better quality designer stuff. Last three suits I bought all came from there.

TBF mate, they're not the kind of designer suits that I like. Each to their own though.

TBF mate, they're not the kind of designer suits that I like. Each to their own though.

I'm intrigued now. What do you like?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

TK Maxx are worth a punt if you fancy a rake

My mate got a really nice Duffer suit in there for no money at all

Personally I'd spunk the dough plus a bit extra on a Paul Smith suit

chester copperpot
I'm intrigued now. What do you like?

I'm a bit of an Armani junkie, though the wasteline unfortunately doesn't allow me the pleasure of their suits no more. :sad:

Walter Payton
Has Cecil Gee's closing down sale finished?

They had loads of offers around the end of April. Hugo Boss etc. half price.

Wee tip for the OP. If this is your first suit and you'll be wearing it every day, try and but two pairs of trousers.

Might be a matter of choice, but I'd disagree with this! If you're going to be wearing suits every day, I'd buy two or three and wear them "evenly". The problem with having two pairs of trousers to one jacket is that it'll wear twice as fast- Whatever "sharp" effect you create by wearing a suit, you soon loose if your jackets a different shade to the trousers!

I'm a bit of an Armani junkie,

Who isn't? :P

You're right, they don't do Armani suits in Slaters. I have a few bits of Armani stuff but I'd never buy an Armani suit for working in.

Might be a matter of choice, but I'd disagree with this! If you're going to be wearing suits every day, I'd buy two or three and wear them "evenly". The problem with having two pairs of trousers to one jacket is that it'll wear twice as fast- Whatever "sharp" effect you create by wearing a suit, you soon loose if your jackets a different shade to the trousers!

Not really as trousers wear much much quicker than jackets.

I would also suggest to the OP to shop online. There is a site, men a la monde I've used before. He's been measured so knows what size he's after. I would then get it altered at Stich n' Go in Thistle Street for a perfect fit. In fact I get loads of off the beg clothes altered there. Lots of designer suits are pretty badly made.

Look out for Boateng and Ungaro ( IMHO ).

christhejambo

Definately reccommend Slaters. I've bought my last few suits out of there, and they kick the arse out of anything ive ever had from Next, M&S etc. ?200 notes will get you a decent enough quality one, i'd say you get what you pay for though, so set a budget, and pay the most you can afford to get the extra quality.

Definately reccommend Slaters. I've bought my last few suits out of there, and they kick the arse out of anything ive ever had from Next, M&S etc. ?200 notes will get you a decent enough quality one, i'd say you get what you pay for though, so set a budget, and pay the most you can afford to get the extra quality.

60% off in Slaters today. Get there sharpish.

60% off in Slaters today. Get there sharpish.

quality Im just about to leave. 1 day only thing? I guessing it will ber packed :sad:

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Don't forget a decent pair of shoes

Nothing looks worse than a new suit paired with tatty old shoes

Classic style for both is the key, nothing to fashionable

quality Im just about to leave. 1 day only thing? I guessing it will ber packed :sad:

Not that many folk know about it mate.

Ray Winstone

Another vote for slaters - George Street.

I bought both my suits from there (I am a student I dont need many)

One from the normal bit and one from the designer room.

Both great quality and the one from the normal bit was about 175quid.

The guys in Slaters are pretty helpful too. If you look **** in the suit, the guy will tell you. And I think any alterations are free.

I P Knightley

Another vote for Slaters.

i've got suits from their shops in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Manchester over a period of about 15 years. Always had good service. I've usually used Ralph's Room - the 'designer' bit and never paid more than ?300.

Wearing suits a lot less now so the last couple bought have been a bit more extravagant (e.g. a Calvin Klein bought in New York) but I can't honestly say they're worth the extra dough.

Top tip - if you wear a suit to work, the troosers always wear out quicker than the jacket. So buy two or three pairs of trousers to match every jacket you get.

Mcarthur glen is pretty good for doin deals on that type of purchase! ;)

M&S suits are horrible. Cheap rubbish. I got nice grey Daniel Hechter suit in Frasers for ?240 (minus 20% for opening a store credit card - which has been chopped up).

Good taste it appears. Ended up getting a Daniel Hechter suit aswell. More than my budget but it looks really nice. From Slaters by the way. The staff are genuinely really helpful aswell.

The Sale in slaters was only the bottom floor though (casual wear) suits weren't included.

Thanks again everyone. :)

I would echo this, despite the subsequent tramp comment. I probably am a bit of a tramp come to think of it, I haven't followed fashion for about 10 years. I was actually in their Oxford Street store fingering a few of these on Monday, before realising I was too hungover and couldn't be ersed trying any on. The wife will choose me one when we're back in Edinburgh this summer anyway.

Bordeaux 03

I get all my suits from Topman online basically because they do a wide range of sizes that you don't get from the likes on Next. You can get a suit from ?90 to ?150 and are really good quality. Plus they are a bit more trendier than your average old man suit.

Do The Dance

I got a very nice Cerutti suit from 'Suits You' at McArthur Glen in Livingston. Down from ?400 to ?200. Wore it to my interview for the fire service and I got the job! :) Would highly recommend the place. Plenty of designer suits from ?100 up to a grand or two.

They also sell shirts, shoes and ties.

I get all my suits from Topman online basically because they do a wide range of sizes that you don't get from the likes on Next. You can get a suit from ?90 to ?150 and are really good quality. Plus they are a bit more trendier than your average old man suit.

TOPMAN i did not think it existed anymore, i have had an account at slaters for 16 years and have bought numerous suits from there. the best thing is if it does not quite fit they tailor it for free and you pick it up a couple of days later

You cant go wrong with F&F from Tesco's (corstorphine).

Bought a black suit about 1 year ago and a grey one about 9 months ago and still look like new.

The prices ............. ?31 for the grey one and ......... ?41 for the black one with 2 pairs of trousers.

Grudge paying good money for work clothes.

Also 2 shirts for ?9 and 2 ties for ?5 !!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, I had to wear suits to work for the last 36 years, & if I learned anything it was never buy designer suits for everyday wear, they are just not made for that.

Tell the salesman that you want a suit for work, something that will take the wear & if properly looked after, ie cleaned, brushed & pressed regularly, & importantly Hung away every night it will keep its shape looks & last a decent amount of time. Nothing looks worse than a suit that looks as if its been slept in.Buy 2 suits at a time & rotate them.

Shoes, buy the best you can afford (sales are best) and polish them regularly & repair them when needed (cheaper than buying another new pair) even better buy 2 or 3 quality pairs in a sale, rotate them & they will last for ages.

lecture over

Guys, I had to wear suits to work for the last 36 years, & if I learned anything it was never buy designer suits for everyday wear, they are just not made for that.

Tell the salesman that you want a suit for work, something that will take the wear & if properly looked after, ie cleaned, brushed & pressed regularly, & importantly Hung away every night it will keep its shape looks & last a decent amount of time. Nothing looks worse than a suit that looks as if its been slept in.Buy 2 suits at a time & rotate them.

Shoes, buy the best you can afford (sales are best) and polish them regularly & repair them when needed (cheaper than buying another new pair) even better buy 2 or 3 quality pairs in a sale, rotate them & they will last for ages.

lecture over

Suits you sir!

Archived