Team Sky

Paolo

Sky have announced they are pulling out of Team Sky Cycling at the end of 2019. 

Theu say it it has come to its natural end. 

Is this the case, or is the team now tarnished, and that is why?

Sky’s new owners will have pushed this decision and it makes sense as it can can be justified as the business moving in a new direction.

Sky can also say they were associated with the best British success and walk away before any negativity is associated with the team.

Junkies on wheels. 

I enjoy the cycling but the folk who defend its honour are absolutely off their heads. To a man, they are all doping in some form. 

Team Sky are already associated with scandal, that ship has sailed. 

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, Paolo said:

Sky have announced they are pulling out of Team Sky Cycling at the end of 2019. 

Theu say it it has come to its natural end. 

Is this the case, or is the team now tarnished, and that is why?

I doubt that a Murdoch organisation would have the scruples to make a stance based on the jiffy bags and other nonsense going on. Auld Rupe was probably part of it, getting himself some fresh helpings of blood so he could keep it going with Wendy and then Jerry.

Most likely to be that Sky is running out of money having pissed it all away on English football without getting the returns they'd have hoped for.

Same reason for them pulling all coverage of tennis.

5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I doubt that a Murdoch organisation would have the scruples to make a stance based on the jiffy bags and other nonsense going on. Auld Rupe was probably part of it, getting himself some fresh helpings of blood so he could keep it going with Wendy and then Jerry.

Most likely to be that Sky is running out of money having pissed it all away on English football without getting the returns they'd have hoped for.

Same reason for them pulling all coverage of tennis.

murdock doesn't own sky anymore, comcast (assuming it is all complete) bought sky

Cycling teams tend not to fold but just get a new sponsor and name. If you look at a lot of the main teams they have very long histories with a series of new names and colours. However Sky is operating on a budget way beyond the other teams so there would be an inevitable scaling down. 

No danger will the new owner pump in as much money as SKY have.

The team will probably break up with most of the super domestiques going to other teams as team leaders.

Could re-invigorate the sport.

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

murdock doesn't own sky anymore, comcast (assuming it is all complete) bought sky

I knew that. Honest I did.

Still, he's left his mucky trace in the DNA of the company so I'll stick with the general principle of what I wrote.

34 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I knew that. Honest I did.

Still, he's left his mucky trace in the DNA of the company so I'll stick with the general principle of what I wrote.

yep disney are purging sky of all traces of the *insert really bad word here*

29 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Disney have nothing to do with Sky either!

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

comcast own disney dont they?

Nope, Disney own (or will own) the non-news side of Fox, it was effectively a bidding war between Comcast and Disney for Sky.

Comcast NBC Universal (to give them their full name) also tried to buy Fox before the Sky Takeover.

28 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Nope, Disney own (or will own) the non-news side of Fox, it was effectively a bidding war between Comcast and Disney for Sky.

Comcast NBC Universal (to give them their full name) also tried to buy Fox before the Sky Takeover.

ah cheers, thats where my confusion came from

Sky will always be associated with the scandal as far as I'm concerened. I barely watch the tour racing but always think of the doping and knowing the politics of Britain you can be rest assured there will be cover ups. 

I find Dave Brailsford a very interesting fella. His management theories are different. I've always enjoyed the cycling since the Channel 4 days in the 80's but there is a real lack of mavericks these days. Very few Chiappuccis or Pantani's.

Been riddled with drugs for donkeys and, probably always will be but a real spectacle.

23 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Sky’s new owners will have pushed this decision and it makes sense as it can can be justified as the business moving in a new direction.

Sky can also say they were associated with the best British success and walk away before any negativity is associated with the team.

:cornette_dog:

Edited by Boof

On 12/12/2018 at 12:39, milky_26 said:

So today Sky announced that the Sky Studios Building has been renamed in honour of it's founder and is now known as 'The Keith Rupert Murdoch Building', so much for purging eh?

• 3 months later...
On 12/12/2018 at 11:54, Cade said:

No danger will the new owner pump in as much money as SKY have.

The team will probably break up with most of the super domestiques going to other teams as team leaders.

Could re-invigorate the sport.

Instead it's very much business as usual

doctor jambo
34 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Instead it's very much business as usual

At least now they are both filled with, and sponsored by, chemicals

I P Knightley
4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Yup! Brailsford & his team officially supported by large amounts of chemicals.

57 minutes ago, Cade said:

Perhaps the UCI need to look at US-style drafts and wage caps, otherwise cycling is going to eat itself.

Every sport has moved to mega rich teams looking to dominate.

No one can compete with Man City and PSG albeit they haven't yet dominated like Sky. 

18 hours ago, Cade said:

Perhaps the UCI need to look at US-style drafts and wage caps, otherwise cycling is going to eat itself.

Seen one of the smaller teams suggesting similar saying that if you look at it like chess then each Cycling team has one Queen but Sky/Ineos have 6 so even if Froome and Thomas are both off form Team Sky still have riders that could take the 3 podium places. 

rambothejambo
21 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Petro-chemicals my friend, not just chemicals ? I work for Ineos at the site in Grangemouth (formally BP), surprising the different number of products we actually produce.

• 7 months later...