The Arfield Red

Erik

It looked like Arfield was suggesting to Michael Smith, just as he got to the tunnel, that the ball was at waist height. Surely he wasn’t that stupid to be saying that in relation to this incident.  

He knew exactly what was doing and the only surprises were Bobby was not hurt and Madden actually made one right decision.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• busby1985

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fozzyonthefence
7 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Can't remember... either @Fozzyonthefence or someone else on one of the threads about Madden - the cheating Hun prick.

I certainly didn’t say it should have been a yellow and didn’t see anyone else say that either but might have missed it?  

I was asking you if Madden was such a cheat why didn’t he just give a yellow?  It looked bad from back row of Gorgie but, having seen it on tv too, it looked 10 times worse on tv - I think Madden might have got briefly demoted if he had given a yellow.

But for a bit of balance, if Madden is a cheat, rather than incompetent, why didn’t he send off Clare when he had every chance to do that?  Surely a rabid, cheating hun would have jumped at the chance to send off Clare?  Looks more like he is just a shite ref but the SFA open themselves to conspiracy theories by appointing refs from the West to officiate Rantic games.  That doesn’t sit right with me either and we need to look at the way refs are recruited, fast tracked, etc.

I played for many years in goal for a variety of clubs at different levels and genuinely believe that goalkeepers today are over protected, however had any player jumped/slid into a challenge like that on me I can assure you retribution from my team mates would have been instant and to hell with the consequences.

He may not be "that kind of player" but that at the very least is the challenge of a coward and could well have resulted in a serious injury for our keeper.

I was once caught accidentally by our centre half with his knee as I came out to collect the ball, I was knocked out cold and spent 2 days in hospital under observation. The speed of that collision was a lot less than the speed Arfield came into that challenge. I shudder to think of the damage he might have caused if he had connected with his knees to the head.

8 hours ago, busby1985 said:

He started his slide when bobby only had one hand on the ball. Instantly puts his hands up when he clatters him. He never purposely meant to hurt him. 

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, kingdannyb said:

Agreed.

He was just really really stupid 

Maybe not fit to play for a club like Rangers 

Edited by Mikey1874

5 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

He can be a bit silly, like Morelos.

Lay off lads. 

Real silly sausage, that one. Bit of a card, so he is.

18 minutes ago, kingdannyb said:

Agreed.

He’s still running for about three strides and not sliding yet whilst Bobby has two hands on the ball! 

Is there different footage of this going about??

Am not arguing it wasn’t a stupid challenge, he even knows it was a bad challenge. My point is he never went out to hurt him, it looks really bad, of course it does but I can assure you he never tried to purposely hurt him. If he gets more than a game ban then he deserves it. He’s not that type of boy. 

Have you spoken to him since the incident or are you just guessing he never went out to hurt him ? 

He would definitely know Zamal had the ball under control well

before contact . 

Looked to me like he was trying to prove he was a proper Gers man to the Zombies behind the goal . 

If he met the ball the same time as Bobby it’d still be reckless. The fact he takes 4 or 5 strides AFTER Bobby has the ball under control makes it a horrific challenge.

He was coming at pace but could've (and should've) jumped to the side and landed in that net to avoid Bobby.

Reckless and it looks worse watching it back.

4 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

He was coming at pace but could've (and should've) jumped to the side and landed in that net to avoid Bobby.

Reckless and it looks worse watching it back.

I  other news all the Scottish TV News is about managers having a go at referees. I warrant that if any Hearts player had behaved like Arfield the news would all about the Hearts animal and a long line of ex professionals calling for a 10 game ban.

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

He’s still running for about three strides and not sliding yet whilst Bobby has two hands on the ball! 

Is there different footage of this going about??

Behind goal

Captain Sausage

Might have missed it, but no one gonna mention the fact Morelos was offside in the run up to the incident. From the first shot, he’s offside but it’s missed. Another shocking call by the refereeing team. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Behind goal

The behind the goals video appears to start from when Zlamal adjusts his hands. Zlamal ran towards the ball and stopped it on the line and slid his body behind it, whilst holding it on the line with two hands. At this stage Arfield is still sprinting towards him, Zlamal then adjusts his hand position (that video starts) and a second after that Arfield begins his slide.

Shocking challenge, he knew what he was doing.. Scary thing is I believe he’d have been given just a yellow had rangers been behind in the match!

Edited by Bighenry

15 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

The behind the goals video appears to start from when Zlamal adjusts his hands. Zlamal ran towards the ball and stopped it on the line and slid his body behind it, whilst holding it on the line with two hands. At this stage Arfield is still sprinting towards him, Zlamal then adjusts his hand position (that video starts) and a second after that Arfield begins his slide.

Better view from behind the goals in this video. Turn the sound down though. 

27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Behind goal

If he'd arrived a split second after Bobby got his hand to the ball it would still be reckless and a red card, you can't just launch yourself in the direction of a grounded player's head!

As it actually was, he was still on his feet and outside the box at this point - it's pretty shocking. He'll surely pick up an extra ban for this.

SectionDJambo

Watched this again on Sky Sports ref watch this morning. They all had a chuckle about it being the most obvious red card of the weekend and, collectively, asked what Arfield was thinking about.

And yet there are some in the media up here arguing that a yellow may have sufficed.

Even Madden couldn’t shirk that one. He might have excused Morellis for just being silly, if it had been him though.

11 hours ago, Papa said:

You can bet that if it was a Hearts player that done this then there would be a witch hunt in the media this morning.

100 %

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

Have you spoken to him since the incident or are you just guessing he never went out to hurt him ? 

He would definitely know Zamal had the ball under control well

before contact . 

Looked to me like he was trying to prove he was a proper Gers man to the Zombies behind the goal . 

I spoke with him yesterday. He didn’t realise the keeper was as in control of the ball till after seeing the replay. He thought it wasn’t under control and felt he could score. No malice in it, shook hands after it. Split second to make the decision and wanted to score, out his hands up immediately to say “I’ve f**ked it”. He’s no that type of boy. I understand why folk are annoyed at it and if he gets further punishment then fair play. Just not having he is some sort of monster looking to injure or kill another player. 

4 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I spoke with him yesterday. He didn’t realise the keeper was as in control of the ball till after seeing the replay. He thought it wasn’t under control and felt he could score. No malice in it, shook hands after it. Split second to make the decision and wanted to score, out his hands up immediately to say “I’ve f**ked it”. He’s no that type of boy. I understand why folk are annoyed at it and if he gets further punishment then fair play. Just not having he is some sort of monster looking to injure or kill another player. 

Whether he thought the ball was under control or not, he launched himself in the direction of a grounded player's head. I've not accused him of malicious intent, but it was very very dangerous and very reckless. He deserves a ban above the red card for it. 

i wish jj was my dad
11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

There was an incident like that in a game once v Rangers.

The Celtic goalkeeper John Thomson died after a knee to the head. 

It was  very reckless. 

Precisely what I thought at the time. This one was definitely the attacker's fault though.

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Whether he thought the ball was under control or not, he launched himself in the direction of a grounded player's head. I've not accused him of malicious intent, but it was very very dangerous and very reckless. He deserves a ban above the red card for it. 

I wouldn’t argue if he got a further ban. Split second decision and he felt he could score, not “am gonna do him” like some have made out. It was a shocker, no arguments here. 

11 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I wouldn’t argue if he got a further ban. Split second decision and he felt he could score, not “am gonna do him” like some have made out. It was a shocker, no arguments here. 

?

31 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

No agenda from me against the boy but "split second decision" -sorry no - he was outside the 6 yard box when Bobby clearly had possession he then took 3 more steps and then launched himself at his head. Bobby's arms were at full stretch and had no way to protect himself.

Only Arfield will know what his intentions were but the evidence is damning, and fortunate he did not break his neck.

51 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Your 'football friend''s done you like a kipper Snowflake cause, on several levels

image.png.a7d6d35a004958d123f26fa6030df82d.png

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

No agenda from me against the boy but "split second decision" -sorry no - he was outside the 6 yard box when Bobby clearly had possession he then took 3 more steps and then launched himself at his head. Bobby's arms were at full stretch and had no way to protect himself.

Only Arfield will know what his intentions were but the evidence is damning, and fortunate he did not break his neck.

We will never know how it looked to Scotty at the time. I believe he never meant to hurt bobby and believe he was punished correctly with the red. If it’s looked at and they think it deserves more then I won’t complain. Just not having the he tried to kill him, hurt him, endear himself to the huns blah blah blah. 

3 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

We will never know how it looked to Scotty at the time. I believe he never meant to hurt bobby and believe he was punished correctly with the red. If it’s looked at and they think it deserves more then I won’t complain. Just not having the he tried to kill him, hurt him, endear himself to the huns blah blah blah. 

That bit I could entirely believe.

7 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

“Scotty” ****ing “Scotty”? Did you suck “Scotty’s” dick before the game?? Is he some sort of mate of yours?

He slid into a guys head with his ****ing knees. The hardest part of this legs.

If I kneed a guy in the head I’d expect locked up.

Edited by Jammy T

4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

“Scotty” ****ing “Scotty”? Did you suck “Scotty’s” dick before the game?? Is he some sort of mate of yours?

He slid into a guys head with his ****ing knees. The hardest part of this legs.

If I kneed a guy in the head I’d expect locked up.

I will ask Scott Arfield if I can suck his cock tomorrow and report back mate. 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

I will ask Scott Arfield if I can suck his cock tomorrow and report back mate. 

Don't think you need to ask TBH

Bridge of Djoum
16 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Dont talk shite, I’ve knew Scott since he was a kid. He isn’t a ‘thug’ at all, it was a stupid tackle and definite red but he isn’t the type to deliberately hurt someone.

Yer mate's a Rangers ****, he acted like a Rangers **** because he thought he's get away with being a Rangers ****.

The 2nd, longer view clip shows how long he had to pull out the challenge. Ample time, more than enough to not go through as he did.

Stop defending the Rangers ****. 

He's also ugly.

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Image result for did ye aye

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

Utter nonsense and i'd hope you're a bit more intelligent than you're making out here to be honest.

Split second? As the still at the start of the video above shows, he's still on his feet and still outside the 6 yard box when our keeper has the ball under control.

He was NEVER getting that ball fairly and had AMPLE time to pull out of that 'challenge'.

As for the putting his hands up immediately - you're saying that was his admission that he'd 'fkd it' - not how I saw it at all - didn't even try to check the keeper is ok after it - the hand gestures I saw were more the kinda thing you do to protest innocence than they were about any kinda apology.

1 hour ago, Erik said:

Utter nonsense and i'd hope you're a bit more intelligent than you're making out here to be honest.

Split second? As the still at the start of the video above shows, he's still on his feet and still outside the 6 yard box when our keeper has the ball under control.

He was NEVER getting that ball fairly and had AMPLE time to pull out of that 'challenge'.

As for the putting his hands up immediately - you're saying that was his admission that he'd 'fkd it' - not how I saw it at all - didn't even try to check the keeper is ok after it - the hand gestures I saw were more the kinda thing you do to protest innocence than they were about any kinda apology.

Okay. 

7 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Okay. 

At School we used to call those a "flying tackle"

quite different from a "sliding tackle"

A "flying tackle" was only ever done by one type of guy- usually the hard man thug who wanted you to know he was the big man,  and was invariably an utter **** off the field too. The "flying tackle" was executed with full knowledge it was going to do damage- they were NEVER accidental or even out of control

queensferryjambo
12 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Might have missed it, but no one gonna mention the fact Morelos was offside in the run up to the incident. From the first shot, he’s offside but it’s missed. Another shocking call by the refereeing team. 

I did notice that when watching the highlights and was surprised Sportscene never mentioned the offside. They seem to love any controversy in the show rather than highlighting any decent football.

Not uncommon for Rangers players to intentionally try to cripple an opposition player, has everyone forgotten the championship game and Millers career ending tackle on Kevin McHattie and in the same game an attempt on Callum Paterson by I think Kris Boyd not to mention the persistent fouling by the majority of the present Rangers team, can only think it is a trait encouraged by their management.

Punks No Deid
12 minutes ago, alanbauld said:

Not uncommon for Rangers players to intentionally try to cripple an opposition player, has everyone forgotten the championship game and Millers career ending tackle on Kevin McHattie and in the same game an attempt on Callum Paterson by I think Kris Boyd not to mention the persistent fouling by the majority of the present Rangers team, can only think it is a trait encouraged by their management.

Was Big Brad that Boyd tried to maim, their full back Smith got a straight red for a shocker on Callum

The Old Tolbooth
20 hours ago, EH16 said:

The commentator said it was the BT ref that said it was a yellow,  (ie: ex ref that gives his opinion on decisions)  they had him stationed at Hampden for the cup final, It is Not an actual SFA ref from Hampden.

Cheers for that mate, didn't realise that, still beggars belief his comments however, and I guarantee you that had the exact same challenge been made on McGregor, that he wouldn't have said the same thing.