Carling Academy Glasgow-Help Required

willie wallace

willie wallace

My 16yr old son and his mate want to go to see blues guitarist Buddy Guy at the Carling Academy tomorrow night but i am a bit worried about them making their way back to the station after the concert.Anyone know what kind of area it is in and is it easy access to and from Queen Street.

I was wondering if i should just drive through and find a pub[any recommendations]to watch the Spain v Russia game and pick them up afterwards.Any ideas would be appreciated.

it's not far away from central station, in fact its only one stop away from st enochs on the. Its not a bad area, i doubt there would be any trouble before the gig at that time and after the gig i cant imagine there'd be any after due to all the folk there.

If your driving through none of the pubs nearby are that good for watching football unless your a hun, there not the worst pubs in the world though. In fact there all ok from my experience apart from the hun memorabillia.

Adi Dassler
My 16yr old son and his mate want to go to see blues guitarist Buddy Guy at the Carling Academy tomorrow night but i am a bit worried about them making their way back to the station after the concert.Anyone know what kind of area it is in and is it easy access to and from Queen Street.

I was wondering if i should just drive through and find a pub[any recommendations]to watch the Spain v Russia game and pick them up afterwards.Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have never had any problems when walking back to Queen Street from the Academy. It is usually mobbed outside so i wouldn't think your son or his mate will have any problems there if they wanted to jump on a bus. It's quite hard to get a taxi sometimes but i got one straight away after the Pigeon Detectives the other week so it's just your luck i suppose. It's not far over the other side of the Clyde so you don't have to walk through any really dodgy areas if they are going to pad the hoof.

In saying that 16 is that funny age when you are old enough but are just short of that 17/18 year old streetwise age.

It's a judgement call mate.

Perth to Paisley

Fairly central.

May be an issue getting back in time to queen streeet after the gig for the 11:30 train . Its a good twenty five minute walk. 5 - 10 minutes back to Argyle street then another 10/15 minutes up buchannan street. The Clockwork Orange (Bridge Street) station is just next door but it will likely be busy.

Unlikely to be any bother around the venue, walking through Glasgow (or Edinburgh?) late at night should be okay.

The best place I would suggest to watch the football is the Crystal Palace on Jamaica Street. Typical Witherspoons Bar. Big, airy and reasonable food.

The venue is over the Jamaica Bridge and keep going -its on the left. [a mile at the most]

If you chose to drive through you could get them to meet you outside/inside the Crystal Palace. Give them some slack.

You can park in the car park at the Bridge Street station.

This is basically what I did when i took my daughter!!

enjoy.

Your son is in more danger with you going to the boozer and then driving him home.

willie wallace

Thanks for the tips guys and i will try not to overdo the diet coke H.A.N.S.By the way Adi your description for a 16yr.old fits my son to a tee.

JamboJoker98

I've never seen any bother outside, there will be lots of people walking back towards Central along the same route so your son should be fine. It's about 10 minutes walk to Queens St station and about 20/25 to Buchanan bus station. I never usually get a taxi but there are normally a few to be had if you leave slightly early. Once you're out with everyone else it can be quite difficult as there will be plenty people after one and in that case you may as well walk.

Heres the general route from buchannan bus station via queen st station to Carling Acadamy so you can get a gist of the location

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=carling+academy+glasgow&daddr=glasgow+queen+street+to:Buchanan+Bus+Station,+Killermont+St,+Glasgow,+Glasgow+City+G2,+United+Kingdom&mra=ps&mrcr=0,1&sll=55.857876,-4.254713&sspn=0.023893,0.054588&ie=UTF8&z=14

Benny Factor
Your son is in more danger with you going to the boozer and then driving him home.

I'm assuming from that comment that you're one of these people that can't go into the pub without having an alcoholic drink? Doesn't mean everyone is like that.

I'm assuming from that comment that you're one of these people that can't go into the pub without having an alcoholic drink? Doesn't mean everyone is like that.

Correct Harry, I am a bevvy merchant :)

willie wallace
What happened then?

Your advice and directions spot on.Watched a bit of the match in the Crystal Palace then walked up to a wee pub called the Souwester[i think that is what is called] then met the kids just after ten.No problems.

Thanks.

A Boy Named Crow

Willie, what you say cannot be true. I have read on Kickback that anybody who enters Glasgow is instantly mugged, stabbed, abused by a ned then set on fire. Are you honestly saying that Glasgow by night is safe, much like anywhere else and actually quite a fun place to be?

End the Kickback prejudice now, free your minds people!

;)

I think you need to stop reading the nonsense comments about Glasgow on JKB. It's about a 10 minute walk along a busy, straight road. Some people on here would have you believe that Glasgow is like Compton or something. It's not really any different from Edinburgh. I've lived here for 12 years and i've seen 1 or 2 fights, no stabbings, no muggings, never been robbed, never been assaulted.

He'll be fine - don't believe the anti-Glasgow nonsense.

Archived