Fans Bar

Biffa Bacon

Spoke to the events girl at Tynie during the week and she was saying the bar is quiet at weekends, obviously finding it hard to attract numbers 

6 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Spoke to the events girl at Tynie during the week and she was saying the bar is quiet at weekends, obviously finding it hard to attract numbers 

It needs some publicity or better signage. I was in the shop/ticket office and did not know it was open until I wandered across by chance, it will not pick up passing trade without advertising maybe something at the top of McLeod St. but I guess that they don't want to upset the Tynie Arms.

1 minute ago, Biffa Bacon said:

It needs some publicity or better signage. I was in the shop/ticket office and did not know it was open until I wandered across by chance, it will not pick up passing trade without advertising maybe something at the top of McLeod St. but I guess that they don't want to upset the Tynie Arms.

This 

2 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Full of Rugby fans?

I'll pass.

Really? Bit narrow minded wouldn't you say? I've been a jambo all my life, born and bred 20mins from gorgie. Lived in the borders past 5 years and really got in to the rugby. Found there to be a lot of good, down to earth folk who like rugby. Enroute to murrayfield now but might pop in for a couple after the match. Anyone know what time bar shuts and if Scotland (fitba) match will be on?

Only been in once, and that was for the Raith game in the cup - none of the staff could operate the remote control to get the channel changed on the TV to BT Sports so most of the pub had to leave for the likes of Tynie Arms.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Only been in once, and that was for the Raith game in the cup - none of the staff could operate the remote control to get the channel changed on the TV to BT Sports so most of the pub had to leave for the likes of Tynie Arms.

Thanks for the up to date running of the place mate. :thumbsup: 

siegementality
3 hours ago, frankblack said:

You'll be glad to know that all staff are now fully trained on remote control  operation.

3 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

:lol:

grumpy ***** 

Hey, not too fussed about it now but it was embarrassing at the time!

Not been back in because bar is the wrong side for getting into the Wheatfield stand.  I do agree with a point above that the tables and chairs need replaced with something more comfortable.

28 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Hey, not too fussed about it now but it was embarrassing at the time!

Not been back in because bar is the wrong side for getting into the Wheatfield stand.  I do agree with a point above that the tables and chairs need replaced with something more comfortable.

Big leather settees sounds like the way forward.

I was in the fans bar recently and I thought it was a bit disappointing. It's a great idea in theory but I don't think it has been done particularly well. I would have liked to have seen much more Hearts memorabilia, signed shirts, Hearts pictures on the wall etc as it seems really spartan at the moment. Also, although I normally hate lots of TVs in pubs, one of the main reasons people would probably go there outwith a match day would be to watch football but there were far too few TVs (it could even do with a projector if there isn't one already). It just generally seemed quite bland and not that well advertised. All that said, I can see how it would be ok on a match day as it is quite open and functional as it could serve a lot of people in a location that is clearly very convenient. Not sure if it is completely finished or whether it is still a work in progress.

Although probably not a fair comparison, there's a fans bar at Fenway Park where you can look out onto the field and it has a great atmosphere, lot's of memorabilia etc; that was amazing.

Edited by Jambos_1874

2 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I was in the fans bar recently and I thought it was a bit disappointing. It's a great idea in theory but I don't think it has been done particularly well. I would have liked to have seen much more Hearts memorabilia, sigmed shirts, Hearts pictures on the wall etc as it seems really spartan at the moment. Also, although I normally hate lots of TVs in pubs, one of the main reasons people would probably go there outwith a match day would be to watch football but there were far too few TVs (it could even do with a projector if there isn't one already). It just generally seemed quite bland and not that well advertised. All that said, I can see how it would be ok on a match day as it is quite open and functional as it could serve a lot of people in a location that is clearly very convenient.

There is a projector. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Me and the wife usually try and get in one day each weekend not matchdays and it's fine watched the footie few drinks at least I know that I'm putting a wee bit extra cash into HMFC but if it ends up closing then we've only ourselves to blame. It is quite bland but that doesn't bother me too much if I want to see memorabilia I'll pop into the museum. It could do with an led sign outside saying 1874 Bar.

Completely agree about the seats. I get they probably haven’t rammed it with furniture to create space on busy match days but if they are doing to open it on non match days they need to make it welcoming and comfortable.

Also agree with the decor, needs more strips. Would be good to have a European wall or something and have flags, posters, scarfs, pennants and pictures of our European adventures.

9 hours ago, siegementality said:

You'll be glad to know that all staff are now fully trained on remote control  operation.

I went in after the rugby last night to watch the Scotland game and can confirm the staff still can work out how to get sky/bt on the bar tvs. 2 girls working behind the bar and security guy all tried to no avail. I watched 1st half on my phone then left at halftime. Decent pint of morreti and well priced. Shame about the tv situation though.

Closing before KO is ridiculous on match day. Keep it open and show the game live on screens. That way people who cant get tickets can still see the match and get the match day atmosphere. 

Only a suggestion as it works well enough for the Shearer bar at SJP (called the 9 bar now but it will always be called shearers)