Time to promote women referees for the good of the game

Restonbabe

The sfa refereeing standard is at its lowest it has been since I've been watching football. 

When was the last time A referee was promoted! 

I know 3 female referees who could make the step up tomorrow but are being hampered by beaks at the SFA because of I think predjuice at premiership / championship level. 

Why?

Its time to start to make a noise about this injustice and you never bloody know we might get a better standard ofreferee than what we currently have now. 

It can't get any worse. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

The sfa refereeing standard is at its lowest it has been since I've been watching football. 

I know 3 female referees who could make the step up tomorrow but are being hampered by beaks at the SFA because of I think predjuice at premiership / championship level. 

Why?

Its time to start to make a noise about this injustice and you never bloody know we might get a better standard ofreferee than what we currently have now. 

It can't get any worse. 

As long as they are qualified and unbiased it's a good idea.

By coincidence I've just finished reading this article on the Beeb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46109633

My opinion is the more referees the merrier. With a bigger pool to choose from, at least we might have a chance of replacing some of the crappy ones we have at the top of Scottish football at the moment.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

As long as they are qualified and unbiased it's a good idea.

And got a nice big pair of..... Boots

27 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Why?

It can't get any worse. 

And who exactly is going to make the tea, tidy the house and do the ironing if these women are allowed to traipes the country refereeing football matches ?

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Paul Shark said:

And who exactly is going to make the tea, tidy the house and do the ironing if these women are allowed to traipes the country refereeing football matches ?

Yer ma?

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Yer ma?

I'll ask her but I think she does enough in her own house without doing it for someone else as well.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Paul Shark said:

I'll ask her but I think she does enough in her own house without doing it for someone else as well.

?

joondalupjambo

Does anyone really think Scottish football would have the foresight and/or courage to have women ref SPL games? More chance Saudi Arabia doing it before we do.  Is there any country actually doing this now for their top tier football?  

Edited by joondalupjambo

2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Does anyone really think Scottish football would have the foresight and/or courage to have women ref SPL games? More chance Saudi Arabia doing it before we do.  Is there any country actually doing this now for their top tier football?  

Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Brazil to name but a few 

joondalupjambo
Just now, Restonbabe said:

Really that is interesting.  I am not surprised at Sweden and Norway being in there as they are tradtionally countries that are more go ahead and open to change.  Italy though?  Must to loads of stoppages due to the players trying to chat them up ?

8 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Really that is interesting.  I am not surprised at Sweden and Norway being in there as they are tradtionally countries that are more go ahead and open to change.  Italy though?  Must to loads of stoppages due to the players trying to chat them up ?

Your mentaility along with everyone else that thinks this way is hampering progress in the modern game. 

We should be treated as equal as men when it comes to officiating. Not goaded and objectified. 

If their training follows the same process as the men then they will be just as bad.

It is the SFA and OF prejudice that is the issue, not the referees gender.

That said, we should have female refs but just don't get people thinking they will be any better.

First spfl match to be reffed by a woman was last season. We see assistants from time to time so hopefully it's something which eventually will happen. 

Bibiana Steinhaus in Germany has reffed in the bundesliga so it's not impossible 

Howdy Doody Jambo

I would like to see ex players taking up the whistle, still fit enough mid 30s and most importantly know football they know the game 

joondalupjambo
8 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Your mentaility along with everyone else that thinks this way is hampering progress in the modern game. 

We should be treated as equal as men when it comes to officiating. Not goaded and objectified. 

Hang loose a bit.  The joke was on Italian male footballers not the fact that women ref games.  I am all for the best people, with the best skills getting the job.  Male or female makes no difference to me.  I just think that Scotland will take a long, long time to do this at SPL level whereas other more go ahead countries will move more quickly.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

If someone is a good referee then they should be in a position reflecting of their quality and ability. 

Is the correct answer.

I watch a lot of junior football so see referees come through the ranks. 

Over the years have witnessed poor refs like Collum, Dallas and Craig Naiper who is still doing lower SPFL get promoted.

The best ref I seen was Lorraine Clark who refereed St Andrews v Pollok is the Junior cup. I believe she has ran the line in some senior games but should have progressed further than her poorer male counterparts. 

28 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Did not know that. 

My only problem with it would be my reluctance to shout abuse at a woman ref.

A female Willie Column would be a sight.

We have some of the worst referees going. I'm a strong believer in that we shouldn't be awarding these men jobs simply because they happen to be Scottish and willing to do the job. They're dogshit and don't deserve to draw a wage from the game. Currently about the only two that look somewhat able to do the job are Mclean and Dallas (somehow). Its shocking. 

Sack em, and bring in foreign refs. 

R.E female referees, I'd be concerned how they handle the confrontation, look at how certain teams surround the referee and get in their face to try and pressure them. I'm genuinely not sure how that would go down. Zero doubts whatsoever about competence though, understanding of the rules of the game etc. Perhaps adapting the rules to follow rugby so only the captain can engage with the ref? 

Regardless, something needs to give. The standard is offensive to the fans. 

25 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Why don't we just do away with women's football altogether and have mixed teams.. that means if they are good enough for any position (player or ref) they can take it..

I'd imagine though that they won't be interested in that.. much like the tennis players who want the same pay for less work..

27 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

If someone is a good referee then they should be in a position reflecting of their quality and ability. 

This. 

Why not? Can't be any worse than the numpties currently ruining many a game.

19 minutes ago, RussAsia said:

Why don't we just do away with women's football altogether and have mixed teams.. that means if they are good enough for any position (player or ref) they can take it..

I'd imagine though that they won't be interested in that.. much like the tennis players who want the same pay for less work..

That's just very sexist.

Can't say that about the women's game it's played over 90 minutes and is competitive.

However it is not on par with the male game. 

However the Scottish national team qualified for a major tournament unlike their male counterparts.

Should we get better funding and representation we have the potential to develop and grow the game at all levels. 

I Dunno why you would compare an individual sport like tennis to a team sport like football for a basis on equality of pay. 

Who are these women asking for equal pay in sport.?

Name names please to back up your comments. 

Mixed football doesn't work on a competitive environment 

Keep them apart and enjoy both for what they are. 

Both are equally entertaining just one more supported than the other 

There must be no special treatment however. They must not be treated any differently. They will get verbal abuse for 90 minutes like all officials so they must know what they are getting in to.

The_razors_edge

They can’t be any worse than their male counterparts in this country so aye let’s get them involved. Besides, a referee will always be a ******* in the black regardless of their gender :lol: 

1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

That's just very sexist.

Can't say that about the women's game it's played over 90 minutes and is competitive.

However the Scottish national team qualified for a major tournament unlike their male counterparts.

Should we get better funding and representation we have the potential to develop and grow the game at all levels. 

I Dunno why you would compare an individual sport like tennis to a team sport like football for a basis on equality of pay. 

Every female tennis player, which is why Wimbledon now pay the same for both winners, even though the men’s and women’s tournament are actually separate tournaments, and the women play less sets, and bring in less viewing figures. 

With regards to referees, I would happily take a competent and honest female referee.  Our organisation is incompetent and corrupt, though, so that is not going to happen. 

Edited by Paolo

What ??????

Must be crazy. They got the vote - look what happened!  Then they were allowed to drive - look what happened!!!

5 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

That's just very sexist.

:rofl: 

Unless by entertaining you mean a right good laugh.

Almost all women's football I have seen has been pish, like way pisher than almost every men's game I've seen.

1 hour ago, His name is said:

Was there not a female running the line in the EPL a few years ago? 

Was a clothes line. She was hanging the washing out.

5 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

As long as they're tidy. 

Agreed. They should carry Pledge, Dettol and a dustpan and brush.

Seymour M Hersh

It's not women refs we need it getting shot of the West Coast Mafia running referee selection. Until then we'll get exactly the same type of mentality promoted to the top league we currently get whether they are male or female.

On 11/11/2018 at 23:16, Restonbabe said:

That's just very sexist.

Instead of being sexist my point was the opposite.. treat everyone the same.. if they are good enough it doesn't matter what gender they are..

Sports are sports. Tennis players (Serena Williams and others) have been asking for the same pay as the men.. the have actually got it in some of the tournaments.. 

Women footballers in England are complaining about the disparity of salaries between the women's game and the men's.. 

Either join them or keep them apart.. If kept apart then just don't request the same amount of money if you are producing an inferior product.. 

The Treasurer
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:50, fabienleclerq said:

Nobody cares about the refs gender, they just want a good ref.

Unfortunately the ones banging on about "equality" are the only ones that care.

The rest of society want the best qualified person to get the job.

On 11/11/2018 at 15:19, Taffin said:

If their training follows the same process as the men then they will be just as bad.

It is the SFA and OF prejudice that is the issue, not the referees gender.

That said, we should have female refs but just don't get people thinking they will be any better.

My thoughts as well.

58 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Unfortunately the ones banging on about "equality" are the only ones that care.

The rest of society want the best qualified person to get the job.

If the " rest of society " includes the suits at the SFA and SPFL, then i'm with the " equality " punters !

A checkout girl at Asda could do a better job than those pricks !

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I could be wrong, I don't have the evidence, but I find women that do succeed in business carry less baggage than men. Purely my experiences though.

I would give it a go