Scotland Squad

Mikey1874

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46233523

Celtic defender Kieran Tierney has become the ninth player to withdraw from the Scotland squad ahead of the Nations League game against Albania.

The 21-year-old has returned to his club following medical advice.

No replacement is to be called up by head coach Alex McLeish for Saturday's League C Group 1 match.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bridge of Djoum

• Mikey1874

• iantjambo

• EastSideJambo

4 minutes ago, livi said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46233523

Celtic defender Kieran Tierney has become the ninth player to withdraw from the Scotland squad ahead of the Nations League game against Albania.

The 21-year-old has returned to his club following medical advice.

No replacement is to be called up by head coach Alex McLeish for Saturday's League C Group 1 match.

i wonder if peter grant will vilify him for pulling out

This is who we could have played, if it weren;t for injury...

Gordon

O'Donnell Souttar Mulgrew Tierney

Jack Cairney McDonald McGinn

Naismith Griffiths

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Mccleish has done an incredible job so far....of compeltely and utterly dismantling the already mediocre to average momentum built up by strachan haha. Next. This is boring now,hurry up and qualify for a tournament again and get eliminated in the first stage haha.

2 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

Starting to look very clear that a number don't want to play for McLeish 

Only real surprise is that so many still do.

joondalupjambo

Perhaps KT was told it was going to be a back four for the first game and that the captain was playing left back and Paterson right and so he would be benched.  Takes advice from Brendon and then lo and behold an injury.

EastSideJambo
1 minute ago, Paul Shark said:

Only real surprise is that so many still do.

McLeish could be in shit soup come next mid week as I don't see Scotland winning either of these 2 games 

3 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

McLeish could be in shit soup come next mid week as I don't see Scotland winning either of these 2 games 

We’re at the ridiculous stage that some will want that to get shot of him, some will make excuses for it and many many more won’t give a shit!

EastSideJambo
8 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

We’re at the ridiculous stage that some will want that to get shot of him, some will make excuses for it and many many more won’t give a shit!

Just the norm then 

40 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Perhaps KT was told it was going to be a back four for the first game and that the captain was playing left back and Paterson right and so he would be benched.  Takes advice from Brendon and then lo and behold an injury.

Or he might just be injured.

joondalupjambo
6 minutes ago, Darren said:

Or he might just be injured.

Nah conspiracy theories sound better???? I am sure that is how you become a better journalist these days. Fire out loads of those made up ideas ????

Seriously surely no smoke without fire. Can you ever recall so many call offs in a squad especially for a game that earns points.  I cannot recall ever this number.

Steven Thompson for BBC saying Callum Paterson hasn't played at right back for a while. Can't see that being a problem for Callum.

Edited by Mikey1874

EastSideJambo

Just seen Bjorn Johnsen scored late for Norway in Slovenia to get a draw. He's one who appears to have got away given he's playing for a top side in Holland and a regular squad member for Norway 

Looked a bit lightweight for us. Certainly appears to have talent 

10 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

Starting to look very clear that a number don't want to play for McLeish 

You play for Scotland whoever the manager. 

EastSideJambo
58 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The number of call offs and those making themselves unavailable suggests otherwise 

joondalupjambo

I wonder how many of the nine call offs / injured will play for their clubs next week in the league games?  

Holyrood_Hearts
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Completely agree. The players who asked not to be picked/dropped out “injured” are a disgrace & done AM no favours. 

I hope the SFA envoke the 5 day rule of those missing. 

5 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

The number of call offs and those making themselves unavailable suggests otherwise 

They can all feck off. 

EastSideJambo
30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

They can all feck off. 

Fair enough. Just think it's says something about McLeish as well as the players involved 

If the players are calling off because they don’t like the manager, then I hope they never get selected for their country again. Regardless of who they are.

Pampered, immature little shits ??

4 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Fair enough. Just think it's says something about McLeish as well as the players involved 

If any Hearts player refused to play for CL they'd be shown the door for good. 

i wish jj was my dad
54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If any Hearts player refused to play for CL they'd be shown the door for good. 

Don't mention Levein on a Scotland thread. :jj_facepalm: Dockside can manage to get a snide dig in without any body mentioning his name.

McLeish made a huge mistake going 3-5-2 as Tierney, Robertson and Fraser can’t play this formation.

Picking Russell over Griffiths was another mistake.

Now players don’t want to play in case they are embarrassed.

9 hours ago, milky_26 said:

If he was injured he would have not joined up with the squad

Players do pick up knocks in training from time to time.

McLeish says only Tierney and McGinn of the calls offs would have started. 

Not sure I buy that - Mulgrew as well surely. Disappointed he is sticking with McGinn. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

If the players are calling off because they don’t like the manager, then I hope they never get selected for their country again. Regardless of who they are.

Pampered, immature little shits ??

If you have a  good coach that knows his players then you ask them to play in the roles best suited to their style of play. Let's face it we are not blessed with that many decent enough players that can fit in to play out of position.

So to ask players to play somewhere the are not used to is madness and strikes of desperation.

What's wrong with playing the next best player available in their natural position?  Our next two games are vital because if we don't win them then I think Mcleish will be out of a job.

I am going for defeat by a couple of goals in both games.  McLeish should get his jotters by next weekend.

Edited by frankblack

On 16/11/2018 at 13:38, Mikey1874 said:

9 withdrawals must be a record 

Do the Scotland international rugby team get these amounts of call offs? Surely yes a harder game more injuries ect

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

I am going for defeat by a couple of goals in both games.  McLeish should get his jotters by next weekend.

Scotland have repeated the Israel travel arrangements by only travelling to Albania the day before. 

Riddley Walker

I have never once said this before, even though I wasn't a Strahan fan, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we lose the next 2 games as McLeish would have to go.

If we scrape through in 1st place it will give the SFA a reason to persist and we won't have a ****ing chance of qualifying.

Did he honestly say in an interview today that he's going to stick with the 3 5 2? :facepalm: :facepalm:

I noticed today the SFA advertising tag line for these games is "Nothing Matters More". Bit unfortunate in the circumstances.

That said tickets for £20 and £5 for kids is a reasonable pricing structure for Tuesday's game against Israel. Especially if we win.

If we were to top our group it looks like the other group winners who would progress into the play-off for a Euro place are likely to be Finland, Serbia and Norway/Bulgaria. (Although this comes with a caveat that if any of them qualified through the normal qualifiers they then be replaced for the play-offs). I'd say from where we are today topping our group and then winning through that play-off looks a long-shot for a backdoor to the Euros.

3 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Amy, how can I put this?

Your husband is...Well, shite!

Was a guest on off the ball the day, was asked who he thought would have the bigger issues with him being included in the Scotland set up if selected Aberdeen or Rangers? Says Aberdeen probably, why says Cowan? Erm......I don’t know to be honest says he.....but could it be something to do with him leaving Aberdeen after being offered a new contract and signing for Rangers.........you never know? Fickle football fans.....should have asked David Robertson first.

jamboinglasgow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46233520

Saw McLeish's comments here about looking far and wide for players. However there has been little to suggest he has brought guys in who back that up (also doesn't help he says he has become devoted to the Scottish Premier League, a league that no longer exists, it is the Scottish Premiership.) I know its an easy stick to beat him with, but surely if you are looking to bring in new players then Henderson in Italy is worth at least bringing into the squad, Bates is doing well in Germany and only comes into the squad after so many injuries. If Harper wasn't injured at the moment he would be worth bringing in.

Then you have players who could come in due to grandparents. Yes it is an option that can rankle some fans but if it gets players in the squad who make Scotland better I dont mind, plus they some can be more dedicated to the team than the ones who are dropping out. Some examples are Che Adams at Birmingham, Jamie Paterson at Bristol City.

21 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Steven Thompson for BBC saying Callum Paterson hasn't played at right back for a while. Can't see that being a problem for Callum.

Best player in the team, be toiling to win this one but you never know.

Riddley Walker

It looks like we've reverted to a 4 at the back, thank ****.

In all honesty the team looks quite good on paper from the midfield on. Fraser has been one of the standout EPL players this season (along with Robertson) and the Celtic contingent have unfortunately been in cracking form recently.

Fletcher up front isn't ideal, however folk tend to forget he has had some outstanding games for Scotland.

And aye, pump the ball to Peterson's head at any set piece.