Scotland Squad

Mikey1874

The Apprentice

Richard Foster on the BBC website moaning that he didn’t get a call up because he plays for ‘unfashionable’ St Johnstone. 

No Richard, it’s because you are absolutely honking! 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bridge of Djoum

• Mikey1874

• iantjambo

• EastSideJambo

On 07/11/2018 at 04:08, Smoked-Glass said:

He beat France 11 years ago give the guy a break. 

Is that why McFadden is his assistant? "Tell the boys about your goal, James"

Hope Calum Paterson starts up front with Forrest, Christie, McGinn, McGregor/Armstrong and Fraser behind him. We've got more than enough decent players to beat these teams easily. All of these guys (apart maybe from Armstrong) are on form and playing at a very good level right now.

If Fletcher and Phillips start I give up.

Calebs Grandad

Callum Paterson was at the Oriom this afternoon and plenty of the youngsters training there were all of a sudden playing that wee bit better whilst he was in the building watching. My grandson trains there on a Monday along with a lot of other kids from around 5 years old upwards. The coaching is incredibly well organized and the place has a really feel good factor about it. 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Is that why McFadden is his assistant? "Tell the boys about your goal, James"

Hope Calum Paterson starts up front with Forrest, Christie, McGinn, McGregor/Armstrong and Fraser behind him. We've got more than enough decent players to beat these teams easily. All of these guys (apart maybe from Armstrong) are on form and playing at a very good level right now.

If Fletcher and Phillips start I give up.

Phillips is playing well I believe, seen him scoring a few for West Brom, don't mind him as a player tbh, big and strong with pace and doesn't mind a goal now and then.

letsalldothebeattie
11 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

Richard Foster on the BBC website moaning that he didn’t get a call up because he plays for ‘unfashionable’ St Johnstone. 

No Richard, it’s because you are absolutely honking! 

Both points spot on. He is absolutely honking but a call up is highly unlikely if you play for them. Zander Clark deserves that call up way more than Scott Bain does but overlooked because of what reason? Bain is hardly playing these days. Also say that's the same case for Liam Kelly another who deserves the call up too played brilliantly for Livi this season made some stunning saves against us and Celtic on Sunday.

Psychedelicropcircle

Won’t waste time reading a Scotland thread but I get the feeling there is a coup under way with the amount of call offs.

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Won’t waste time reading a Scotland thread but I get the feeling there is a coup under way with the amount of call offs.

Definitely something going on, amazing everyone was proud and wanted to play for the national side under Strachan but now everyone and their granny are calling off left right and centre. Sooner McLeish goes the better

Psychedelicropcircle
7 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Definitely something going on, amazing everyone was proud and wanted to play for the national side under Strachan but now everyone and their granny are calling off left right and centre. Sooner McLeish goes the better

Agreed ! but you can bet your bottom dollar when he does go there will be no  blowback on those who hired the loser!

letsalldothebeattie
5 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Agreed ! but you can bet your bottom dollar when he does go there will be no  blowback on those who hired the loser!

Of course not their never is

52 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Need a manager that has more respect

1 hour ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Its not just call offs it’s actually players saying don’t bother picking me, I’m not playing! Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before it’s got to be the manager!

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Its not just call offs it’s actually players saying don’t bother picking me, I’m not playing! Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before it’s got to be the manager!

The general trend is from players in EPL. Presumably thinking they have better chance staying in club side/ squad. Though seems something else might be going on. 

17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The general trend is from players in EPL. Presumably thinking they have better chance staying in club side/ squad. Though seems something else might be going on. 

Could be something in the EPL thing but they were quite happy to play before. A couple of defeats to these two teams and McLeish will have to go and we start all over again.

1 hour ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

He could be away after our next two games if we don't get the right results.

It was a shocking appointment in the first place and him and his cronies shoud be nowhere near the Scotland Managerial positions.

It is blatantly obvious that McLeish is well past being able to cope at this level and the SFA should be ashamed of themselves.

They would do well to have a look at their counterparts over at the SRU and get some lessons on how to run a National Organisation.

The SRU have had their problems in the past but they have worked hard to resolve them and look at the young talent they have coming through now and the attendances they are getting for the Internationals.

The unfortunate thing with the SFA is that it's all about self preservation rather than the progression of our game and will never change so long as they have those dinosaurs in charge.

Psychedelicropcircle
25 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He could be away after our next two games if we don't get the right results.

It was a shocking appointment in the first place and him and his cronies shoud be nowhere near the Scotland Managerial positions.

It is blatantly obvious that McLeish is well past being able to cope at this level and the SFA should be ashamed of themselves.

They would do well to have a look at their counterparts over at the SRU and get some lessons on how to run a National Organisation.

The SRU have had their problems in the past but they have worked hard to resolve them and look at the young talent they have coming through now and the attendances they are getting for the Internationals.

The unfortunate thing with the SFA is that it's all about self preservation rather than the progression of our game and will never change so long as they have those dinosaurs in charge.

So the real question is how do we starve them into changing?

36 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

So the real question is how do we starve them into changing?

I suppose the only way to make them see how pathetic their leadership is would be to do basically what is already happening to an extent and that is by not turning up to support the Team.

The problem is that large numbers of fans who make up the Tartan Army are from areas of Scotland that don't really have major Teams for these fans to support and they follow Scotland all over the place which is commendable but not ideal from the point of view of showing the SFA their displeasure by non attendance. 

Short of masses of Scotland fans taking to the streets and protesting about them there is really not much else that the fans can do.

This would be an ideal time for the media to have a real go at how the SFA operate and expose all their shortcomings but then they are so out of touch with reality that they probably wouldn't see the problem.

In all my years of supporting Scotland and Scottish football I don't think I have ever witnessed such a lack of interest in our National Team which is really quite sad.

Edited by wavydavy
typo

18Jambo_dave74

Whilst I want McLeish removed from his position as manager as soon as possible, the amount of call offs is extremely poor. I understand that you can say McLeish has a part to play in players not wanting to play for him but for me they are representing their country, not him. 

McArthur and Brown have both retired from International duty. 

Griffiths has declined to play in order to "work on his fitness". 

Snodgrass, Ritchie and I think Marshall, have all asked not to be called up.

Cairney is presumably not in the squad because he thinks he might get an England call up. 

McLaughlin is playing for Sunderland instead of Scotland (perhaps fair enough as likely to be on the bench). 

For me, no matter who the manager is you should be privileged to a) be called up for your country and b) to play for them. Too many of our players seem to have some level of entitlement when it comes to playing for the country. I think a lot of it is to do with Old Firm players and their mentality - clearly Griffiths thinks he should be ahead of Naismith because he plays for Celtic and Naismith is at Hearts, irrespective of form. 

I'm not sure how much this sort of thing goes on with other countries but it seems we've had our fair share of stroppy players over recent years - Weir, Boyd, McGregor, Ferguson, S. Fletcher and you would have to question the likes of Ritchie and how much they actually want to play for us. 

I think we also have to take in to account the amount of players unavailable due to injury at the moment too: Gordon, O'Donnell Mulgrew, Souttar, Berra, McDonald, Griffiths, Naismith all out. 

2 hours ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Whilst I want McLeish removed from his position as manager as soon as possible, the amount of call offs is extremely poor. I understand that you can say McLeish has a part to play in players not wanting to play for him but for me they are representing their country, not him. 

McArthur and Brown have both retired from International duty. 

Griffiths has declined to play in order to "work on his fitness". 

Snodgrass, Ritchie and I think Marshall, have all asked not to be called up.

Cairney is presumably not in the squad because he thinks he might get an England call up. 

McLaughlin is playing for Sunderland instead of Scotland (perhaps fair enough as likely to be on the bench). 

For me, no matter who the manager is you should be privileged to a) be called up for your country and b) to play for them. Too many of our players seem to have some level of entitlement when it comes to playing for the country. I think a lot of it is to do with Old Firm players and their mentality - clearly Griffiths thinks he should be ahead of Naismith because he plays for Celtic and Naismith is at Hearts, irrespective of form. 

I'm not sure how much this sort of thing goes on with other countries but it seems we've had our fair share of stroppy players over recent years - Weir, Boyd, McGregor, Ferguson, S. Fletcher and you would have to question the likes of Ritchie and how much they actually want to play for us. 

I think we also have to take in to account the amount of players unavailable due to injury at the moment too: Gordon, O'Donnell Mulgrew, Souttar, Berra, McDonald, Griffiths, Naismith all out. 

I am sure that the vast majority of footballers eligible to play for their Country would want to do so however it can't be ignored that they are under a certain amount of pressure to their own Club.

It is they who after all pay their wages and perhaps get them recognised in the first place to play for their country.

The stumbling block though is do they want to be involved with a Coach who would appear to have issues with certain players or possibly not seem to know what is going on regarding where players should be playing etc.

If they are seen to be part of a poor National Team then that hardly enhances their own profile which at the end of the day is probably more important to them.

I can't honestly say that I blame them if that is how they perceive things. 

Psychedelicropcircle

Disband the national side, the Edinburgh branches can dissolve between us & the h1b5. 

Sorted  

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Ryan Jack?

well at least we’re sorted if one of the opposition players need booting about the park.

Cairney should have been called up despite his lack of game time this term. He has played the last few though. More to his omission? 

10 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Ryan Jack?

well at least we’re sorted if one of the opposition players need booting about the park.

I have bad news 

Ryan Jack has withdrawn due to injury 

26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I have bad news 

23 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Did he kick himself ?

:rofl:

part_time_jambo
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I have bad news 

McLeish on the radio this morning saying he played a full 90 minutes for rangers then pulled out. Not sure if he's having a dig or not. Be interesting to see if Jack plays the next game for Rangers.

Captain Canada

The whole thing is shambolic from the call-offs to the tactics and press conferences. 

Having said that, I still hope Paterson plays up front and grabs a few goals. Eck also needs to just pick Robertson or Tierney rather than playing one or both out of position. 

Sadly I think we'll soon be back to square one looking for a new manager and another new dawn. 

Guest Paul Allen
24 minutes ago, Ministry MK2 said:

National Team has turned into a joke this year tbh. 

Its actually getting boring now. Would happily see the side disbanded.

What a fair-weather fan. You’d think being a Jambo would teach folk about sticking with your team through the tough times. Did you see the bedlam amongst the Wales and Northern Ireland fans at Euro 2016? That’s what we could have in 2020 if only we could get a decent team put together.

One thing I don't get about how we pick squads.

After all of these call offs, why not promote one or two from the under 21s to the senior squad for these games.

They don't have to play, but give them the experience of being there for when they are ready.

Better than scrapping the bottom of the barrel to give away caps to folk who should never be near the team

Bridge of Djoum

McLeish will be there until the SFA have bought his silence concerning EBT's and ''Eck'' has just enough to pay off his impending back tax.

5 hours ago, Gulf Jambo said:

One thing I don't get about how we pick squads.

After all of these call offs, why not promote one or two from the under 21s to the senior squad for these games.

They don't have to play, but give them the experience of being there for when they are ready.

Better than scrapping the bottom of the barrel to give away caps to folk who should never be near the team

It's as if names are just plucked out of thin air. Are they actually watching games? Or picking players on past reputations? I doubt anyone has been over to see Henderson in Italy. 

I get quite defensive with supporting Scotland, I think we should regardless of who is in charge, but I'm struggling with McLeish. I also hate Peter Grant!

10 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

McLeish will be there until the SFA have bought his silence concerning EBT's and ''Eck'' has just enough to pay off his impending back tax.

Are you suggesting that Scottish footballs governing body is corrupt?

14 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Jack Hendry’s been called up ??‍♂️ What an absolute shambles McLeish is making of this. 

called up due to devlin dropping out

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Are you suggesting that Scottish footballs governing body is corrupt?

Controversial concept, I know. 

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:17, Mikey1874 said:

I have bad news 

Excellent!

letsalldothebeattie
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not a blow. It's good news. McGinn has struggled and good he is being replaced in team. Might really struggle to get back in. 

Banjo related injury? 

3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46233523

"John Fleck: Scotland call up Sheffield United midfielder for Israel"

McLeish back to the "calling up anyone that's ever worn a Rangers shirt" approach then.

:vrface: 

Could have been worse, could have been Robert.

41 minutes ago, tian447 said:

McLeish back to the "calling up anyone that's ever worn a Rangers shirt" approach then.

By all accounts been playing well for Sheffield United who are 2nd in the Championship. 

Tierney the latest doubt!

Guest Paul Allen
44 minutes ago, tian447 said:

:facepalm: Talk about clueless. Fleck has been playing well for Sheffield United and at a decent level in the Championship.

31 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

By all accounts been playing well for Sheffield United who are 2nd in the Championship. 

Tierney the latest doubt!

danny mgrain is in the papers saying either tierney or robertson need to learn to use their right foot and move to right back. 

also it seems like it is between tierney and paterson for the right back slot. would prefer paterson up front where he is doing well for cardiff

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

danny mgrain is in the papers saying either tierney or robertson need to learn to use their right foot and move to right back. 

also it seems like it is between tierney and paterson for the right back slot. would prefer paterson up front where he is doing well for cardiff

Easy choice now, Tierney is out!