Tired after Europe?

skinnybob72

I think after our recent games against Rangers and Celtic we can put to bed the myth that they will be tired after their Europa League games on a Thursday night. Celtic could probably have played a game on Sunday morning and still had plenty in the tank to see us off in the afternoon. 

Even at 3-0 up on Sunday Celtic didn't exactly shut the game down because they were tiring.  

I actually thought we tired yesterday. Was first time I’ve thought that this season. Perhaps because of injuries being carried 

I don't think thats been proven given the way we played and the mistakes we made in gifting them goals. You could argue that 5 of the 6 goals in these 2 fixtures were self inflicted. We never played at any tempo, never pressed them and simply went out to contain. The Rangers game was over before it even started and at no point yesterday did it look like anyone in maroon either on the pitch or leading us on the sideline actually believed we would win the match. 

Edited by magicTs

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Recovery is better and players fitter these days. 

Aberdeen got their game into the last 20 yesterday and saw the benefits 

Jambo in Yorkshire

If you are 2-0 up with 30 minutes to go you don’t get tired, if you are losing 1-0 there is every chance the heads will go down and the performance will suffer.

Craig said he thought they were getting leggy at the start of the 2nd half, a goal for us could well have proved him right.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Recovery is better and players fitter these days. 

Aberdeen got their game into the last 20 yesterday and saw the benefits 

Aye, I think those days are over of teams being affected by fatigue.

Certainly rarer.

After our game v Dundee last week I spotted some of the first team back in for recovery , or whatever, up at Heriot Watt on the Wednesday morning.

Looked fresh and as if they could play there and then. 

ToadKiller Dog

Think losing Naismith took away from us putting real pressure on them when they had the ball in their own half, so they didn't burn out as quick 

Then second half bringing on pretty fresh Sinclair (who chose this game to find his form again) and the soft pen gave them a boost.

In a sense Levein was right if we had kept it 0-0 for a bit longer who knows but we never looked like scoring. 

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

Hearts sat back and let them have the ball. They were never really pushed and after the penalty the game was won.  Not really a measure - which i think is a myth anyway.  

10 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I actually thought we tired yesterday. Was first time I’ve thought that this season. Perhaps because of injuries being carried 

The lads will be a little worn. We're going into every game under a bit of pressure and starting to feel it now with injuries especially.

The lads gave their all vs Aberdeen, Dundee was a stroll really but wedged inbetween Aberdeen and Celtic, and we've got another midweek game this week and Celtic away after. Tough run for them and with so many key players out, there's not enough scope to switch things around.

8 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Celtic were more skillful, better passing, quicker, and had more energy...........that about sums it up.

Utter boolocks. A penalty and our keeper chucking one in completely changed how the game progressed. There was nothing between the sides until then. Given our injuries and their budget I think we were doing ok. The only thing your post sums up us a complete lack of knowledge or your hibs, take your pick. 

Celtic looked out of ideas. I’m assuming the game plan was to see how their fitness was in the last 20-30mins and have a go at them. Our players blew the game plan with the mistakes and basically some of them getting stage fright. 

20 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Utter boolocks. A penalty and our keeper chucking one in completely changed how the game progressed. There was nothing between the sides until then. Given our injuries and their budget I think we were doing ok. The only thing your post sums up us a complete lack of knowledge or your hibs, take your pick. 

Celtic looked out of ideas. I’m assuming the game plan was to see how their fitness was in the last 20-30mins and have a go at them. Our players blew the game plan with the mistakes and basically some of them getting stage fright. 

This.

Celtic were every bit as poor until we gifted them a penalty which meant we had to commit players forward. Only at that point did they look the better team.

Also I think the tactics were to contain anyway. We were sitting off them in their half even before Naismith went off injured.

That’s my only criticism, which is easy with hindsight, but I always feel we do better when we get at them. Always going to be a challenge though on a bigger pitch like murrayfield.

1 minute ago, Mr Rabbit said:

This.

Celtic were every bit as poor until we gifted them a penalty which meant we had to commit players forward. Only at that point did they look the better team.

Also I think the tactics were to contain anyway. We were sitting off them in their half even before Naismith went off injured.

That’s my only criticism, which is easy with hindsight, but I always feel we do better when we get at them. Always going to be a challenge though on a bigger pitch like murrayfield.

I think it’s ok to question the tactics although as you say very easy with hindsight. Whether you agree with them or not they were working until the players put us 2-0 down. Here’s a ‘could have’ to counter the hindsight, Morrison attacking a jaded poor Celtic defence in the last 20 could have won us the game. CL has got his tactics far more right than wrong this season but tactics meant nowt when injuries and players change games. I don’t think this is a game he deserves a lot of criticism for, I blame the players firstly. 

4 hours ago, Dazo said:

I think it’s ok to question the tactics although as you say very easy with hindsight. Whether you agree with them or not they were working until the players put us 2-0 down. Here’s a ‘could have’ to counter the hindsight, Morrison attacking a jaded poor Celtic defence in the last 20 could have won us the game. CL has got his tactics far more right than wrong this season but tactics meant nowt when injuries and players change games. I don’t think this is a game he deserves a lot of criticism for, I blame the players firstly. 

Agree mate.

Shows how far we’ve come this season when there’s so many dissapointed at losing to two teams with far superior budgets. We’ve built a really good squad and have the potential of beating anyone with a bit of luck and our players turning up.

16 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

I think after our recent games against Rangers and Celtic we can put to bed the myth that they will be tired after their Europa League games on a Thursday night. Celtic could probably have played a game on Sunday morning and still had plenty in the tank to see us off in the afternoon. 

Even at 3-0 up on Sunday Celtic didn't exactly shut the game down because they were tiring.  

The plan seemed to be to sit back for an hour, then have a go at them when they "tired".......not a great plan IMO

Just now, Swimmer said:

I also think that the way the Celtic players and fans celebrated shows how much they see us as a threat.

They see us as "diet Huns"

5 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

They weren't tired because they made wholesale changes.  Only 4 players that started in Leipzig started against us.

Yup