Zlamal at penalties

davie1980

That's the second I've seen him nearly on the ground before the ball is kicked.

They need to boot his balls for that, stay on your bloody feet man.

Funny how some goalkeepers seem to have a knack for it and others don't. We haven't seen enough from him yet to say either way, but he hasn't been close to the ones that have been awarded against us recently.

Regardless, he's been fantastic all season and kept it semi-respectable today.

Ffs get a grip.  How many penalties have you saved.  It's a gambling game.  He edged to his left Sinclair put it to his right.  He was probably MOM

16 minutes ago, savage said:

Ffs get a grip.  How many penalties have you saved.  It's a gambling game.  He edged to his left Sinclair put it to his right.  He was probably MOM

Did you see Celtic's 2nd goal!!!

2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Yes i did,  slight deflection of smith caught him out but he still should have dealt with it.  Did you see the other saves he made

...a bit disco
15 minutes ago, wigwam123 said:

Collum was quick to pull him up on this, shame he didn't do the same with Sinclair who clearly stuttered his run on the approach. 

Indeed.

Sinclair sold him with the interrupted run up.

6 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Of all the things to be critical about? Christ 

What,  goalkeeper not being good at penalties? Basically making the takers mind up for him.

6 hours ago, saxondale said:

Definitely worthy of a thread...

As above.
Yes I think it's worth discussing. Particularly as it isn't the first time

5 hours ago, Kenbo said:

He kept it from being an embarrassing scoreline, so i would lay off him for the penalty!!!

I never criticised his overall performance, he had some good saves.

But he did make another error and this is a legitimate criticism 

5 hours ago, savage said:

None, I'm not a goalkeeper, what an utterly redundant argument.
I'm guessing you've never played left wing for an SPL team, so presumably you'll never have criticised Amankwa?

4 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

Indeed.

Sinclair sold him with the interrupted run up.

The stuttering run up is a common theme with penalty taker these days and a goal keeper should be prepared for this and give himself a chance.

5 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Did you see the 4 great saves he made? Plus the one v Aberdeen and the one on Tuesday & the various others, Dunfermline in the Group Stages? He’s a very good keeper and barely makes mistakes. Outfield players make them all the time. It’s unfortunate but it happens to the best of them. 

Penalties against us in 3 consecutive matches must be something of a rarity. Lets hope we don't make it 4 in a row on Wednesday night!

5 hours ago, savage said:

Why is it a gambling game?

A penalty that is struck with power into the top corner is going in regardless.

A penalty like Naismith takes can be saved by waiting until it is kicked before diving. Zlamal is a great reflex shot stopper as well.

As for MOTM, that is ridiculous. Yes, he made some cracking saves, but the game was already over, thanks to his horrific blunder at 1-0. 

Dunne was MOTM and one of only 3 players that didn’t completely freeze today.

3 hours ago, H2 said:

The only parts of his body that were on the ground at the point the ball was kicked were his feet.

image.png.8c682bfdcf8696dc54a07c672820552c.png

Sorry, I apologise, I never had a freeze frame view of it. I was wrong, his hand never quite touched the ground

You're right, he never made it blatantly obvious where he was going and where Sinclair should put the ball, as evidenced by this image of him 2 feet from his right hand post and his head 4 feet from the ground

rudi must stay

I think he thought Sinclair was going the other way. Probably usually does, Sinclair took a good penalty, fair play to him :angry: but Zlamal didn't do anything wrong there

Edited by rudi must stay

7 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Did you see the 4 great saves he made? Plus the one v Aberdeen and the one on Tuesday & the various others, Dunfermline in the Group Stages? He’s a very good keeper and barely makes mistakes. Outfield players make them all the time. It’s unfortunate but it happens to the best of them. 

He did make a few good saves but unfortunately his howler for the 2nd completely killed the game for us. 

18 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

He did make a few good saves but unfortunately his howler for the 2nd completely killed the game for us. 

Yep, looked a bad one. I said at the time he never makes mistakes like that! Bad timing.

3 hours ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

How many shite threads can you get in one day 

It's kickback after a defeat. I'm surprised there isn't more ?

Zlamal has been good for us, up until yesterday.  Yesterday he made his first error which led to a goal.  But he also made some good saves. 

As for the penalty, whilst not criticising him, as I would expect the taker to score on most occasion, it is a fair assumption.   Part of it is psychological, and who blinks first, and perhaps he can work on that in training, to improve his game further.  

10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Two howlers in our two biggest games this season  Hope he doesn’t get his hat trick in our third big game on Wed. THought he was a liability from first game. Good shot stopper but lapses in concentration. Doyle needs chance soon 

6 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Sorry, I apologise, I never had a freeze frame view of it. I was wrong, his hand never quite touched the ground

You're right, he never made it blatantly obvious where he was going and where Sinclair should put the ball, as evidenced by this image of him 2 feet from his right hand post and his head 4 feet from the ground

Apology accepted.

I never made any comments about "he never made it blatantly obvious....." , so I can't be right on that point.

45 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Zlamal has been good for us, up until yesterday.  Yesterday he made his first error which led to a goal.  But he also made some good saves. 

As for the penalty, whilst not criticising him, as I would expect the taker to score on most occasion, it is a fair assumption.   Part of it is psychological, and who blinks first, and perhaps he can work on that in training, to improve his game further.  

Threw one in the net at Ibrox, yesterday was hardly his first howler. 

Jambo in Yorkshire

I said at the game he was unlikely to save the penalty. He moves early and this helps the taker. I’m sure he has gone the wrong way at the three recent ones.

If he dives the right way and it’s a poor penalty he has a chance of saving it. 

His saves were first class but that’s not what this thread is about. We could easily have a thread about them particularly the one high to his left.

EastSideJambo
10 hours ago, amadjambo said:

Why is it a gambling game?

A penalty that is struck with power into the top corner is going in regardless.

A penalty like Naismith takes can be saved by waiting until it is kicked before diving. Zlamal is a great reflex shot stopper as well.

As for MOTM, that is ridiculous. Yes, he made some cracking saves, but the game was already over, thanks to his horrific blunder at 1-0. 

Dunne was MOTM and one of only 3 players that didn’t completely freeze today.

Did appear to be some stage fright yesterday. Whilst to say it's easy to say that we'll learn from it - we always seem to brush disappointment off with such ease. We don't get to last 4 or beyond of cup competitions regularly enough for that mindset 

Not sure our neighbours would have gone into a game of that magnitude with 4 central midfielders and no pace whatsoever 

That's the bit that disappointed me 

50 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Two howlers in our two biggest games this season  Hope he doesn’t get his hat trick in our third big game on Wed. THought he was a liability from first game. Good shot stopper but lapses in concentration. Doyle needs chance soon 

??

No thanks.

Bobby has been excellent for us. Yeh, two mistakes but he has saved us far more than he has cost us

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, H2 said:

The only parts of his body that were on the ground at the point the ball was kicked were his feet.

image.png.8c682bfdcf8696dc54a07c672820552c.png

If he'd missed, I could have seen a redtake being called on that evidence. 

He does dive a tad early in the penalties I've seen, but I don't think that one yesterday is being saved at all, no matter what. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

It was never a penalty in the first place. People say Bozanic never protested. I'm not surprised he's probably still in shock now that it was awarded in the first place.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

The one at Ibrox was unfortunate. Even great keepers make blunders, Oliver Kahn in the WC final of 2002 for example, despite being the reason Germany reached the final. He’s made one bad error all season but that has now overshadowed all the great saves he has made this season. He won us three points v Aberdeen on the previous weekend.

19 hours ago, davie1980 said:

That's the second I've seen him nearly on the ground before the ball is kicked.

They need to boot his balls for that, stay on your bloody feet man.

Two big games two big mistakes that cost us goals. He did make a great save from Sinclair in the first half but maybe he needs a wee rest although having said that I have no idea how good or bad Doyle is.

Geoff the Mince
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I agree.  Ive said for a while he spills the ball too often. 

Not sure how much research the keeper coaches and backroom staff do but when I saw it was Sinclair taking the pen all I could think of was here is a player who has been short on confidence. When a player is short of confidence or nervous the natural and default place to put the penalty (if you're right footed) is to the keepers right in other words to pull it to the left which is an easier way to strike the ball. I bored my sons with this theory before he took it.

Edited by feedthefox

4 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

The one at Ibrox was unfortunate. Even great keepers make blunders, Oliver Kahn in the WC final of 2002 for example, despite being the reason Germany reached the final. He’s made one bad error all season but that has now overshadowed all the great saves he has made this season. He won us three points v Aberdeen on the previous weekend.

My point is that the howlers offset the good saves and more. We dont know if another keepr would have made the saves he has made

Big Jon a prime example last season. Lots of great saves but only two howlers all season. Bobby has had two in three weeks. All keepers at this level make good saves, all good shot-stoppers. Its the odd exceptional save but mostly the lack of errors that really separate them. One more from Bobby and Doyle should be given his chance. 

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It was never a penalty in the first place. People say Bozanic never protested. I'm not surprised he's probably still in shock now that it was awarded in the first place.

He protested the minute it was given but I think he probably went quiet in case Collum sent him off for dissent.

On the subject of Zlamal I watched the second goal about 15 times and came to the conclusion that the hearts player in front of him did touch the ball which moved it just enough that he couldn't catch it. After that all he could do was try and stop it crossing the line. You can see it in the highlights from the camera behind the goal.

If he gave a shout that it was his then the defender has to take full blame for the goal.

32 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

My point is that the howlers offset the good saves and more. We dont know if another keepr would have made the saves he has made

Big Jon a prime example last season. Lots of great saves but only two howlers all season. Bobby has had two in three weeks. All keepers at this level make good saves, all good shot-stoppers. Its the odd exceptional save but mostly the lack of errors that really separate them. One more from Bobby and Doyle should be given his chance. 

I’d advise you to go and watch Doyle’s fail compilation on YouTube before calling for him to replace Bobby. 

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

He protested the minute it was given but I think he probably went quiet in case Collum sent him off for dissent.

On the subject of Zlamal I watched the second goal about 15 times and came to the conclusion that the hearts player in front of him did touch the ball which moved it just enough that he couldn't catch it. After that all he could do was try and stop it crossing the line. You can see it in the highlights from the camera behind the goal.

If he gave a shout that it was his then the defender has to take full blame for the goal.

Bobby has admitted himself he screwed up 

59 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’d advise you to go and watch Doyle’s fail compilation on YouTube before calling for him to replace Bobby. 

Every keeper has one of those. Every keeper makes mistakes. Bobby has made howlers in the two big games we have played this season. No matter how many great saves he makes do you want a keeper who fails in the big games between the posts for us? Hibs had a stream of them. Every time  they came to Tynie they messed  up. Not for me thanks. I expect my keeper to perform better in the big games not the opposite. Im not saying Doyle is any better, haven’t seen him yet. I do think it’s close to time to give him a chance. 

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Every keeper has one of those. Every keeper makes mistakes. Bobby has made howlers in the two big games we have played this season. No matter how many great saves he makes do you want a keeper who fails in the big games between the posts for us? Hibs had a stream of them. Every time  they came to Tynie they messed  up. Not for me thanks. I expect my keeper to perform better in the big games not the opposite. Im not saying Doyle is any better, haven’t seen him yet. CI do think it’s close to time to give him a chance. 

You’re being absolutely ridiculous. 

Bobby has played 17 games this season, 8 clean sheets and has made 2 mistakes, one which was a secondary error at Ibrox, and by secondary I mean failure by the defence to stop the cross then the header back across goal in the first instance and then failure to react to the error and 1 bad one.

Henry Smith, Gilles Rousset both made some howlers in big games mate but how many times did they save us? 

How many points has Bobby won us this season? 

Put it this way, he made a good few important ones in the LC v Falkirk and Dunfermline, otherwise we wouldn’t be near a LC semi in the first place. 

Secondly,  and think back against Killie away, Motherwell, Aberdeen in games in which we won by the odd goal, Bobby saved us points in those games and has made some cracking saves all season including a number yesterday and including some at Ibrox.

But never mind that, let’s drop him for Doyle, a keeper who had an absolute howler in a Colts game at Tynie on his debut, earlier in the season but that must have slipped your mind. He’s back up for a reason mate. 

I think Bobby has been very good for us overall this season thus far. You don’t drop a keeper after 1 bad mistake ffs, that’s just mental. 

The Future's Maroon

Regarding the dummy on the run up to take a penalty, I could be wrong but I think the rules were relaxed on that.

Bit harsh to give Bobby stick for the penalty, been excellent since signing.

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

You’re being absolutely ridiculous. 

Bobby has played 17 games this season, 8 clean sheets and has made 2 mistakes, one which was a secondary error at Ibrox, and by secondary I mean failure by the defence to stop the cross then the header back across goal in the first instance and then failure to react to the error and 1 bad one.

Henry Smith, Gilles Rousset both made some howlers in big games mate but how many times did they save us? 

How many points has Bobby won us this season? 

Put it this way, he made a good few important ones in the LC v Falkirk and Dunfermline, otherwise we wouldn’t be near a LC semi in the first place. 

Secondly,  and think back against Killie away, Motherwell, Aberdeen in games in which we won by the odd goal, Bobby saved us points in those games and has made some cracking saves all season including a number yesterday and including some at Ibrox.

But never mind that, let’s drop him for Doyle, a keeper who had an absolute howler in a Colts game at Tynie on his debut, earlier in the season but that must have slipped your mind. He’s back up for a reason mate. 

I think Bobby has been very good for us overall this season thus far. You don’t drop a keeper after 1 bad mistake ffs, that’s just mental. 

He is only back-up because he wasn’t available when we signed Bobby. When we signed him he was a current member of RoI national squad. Do you honestly believe he would sign for us knowing he was to be back-up? 

Re Bobby’s mistakes, sorry I disagree. It’s two clear howlers in front of two big, aggressive crowds. Second goal at Ibrox all he has to do is hold the ball instead of playing it back out. But that’s what he does, time after time. Just watch him, the ball doesnt stick to him like it should for a really good keeper. Great shot-stopper and has had some great saves this season but doesn’t do some of the basics particularly well. Comparing him to Jon last season, both great shot-stoppers, Jon held the ball, Bobby doesn’t. 

Even the best goal keepers in the world say penalties are a guessing game. Hes been great for us this season, few mistakes big deal. Hes not the only one, just goalkeeper ones are highlighted more. To suggest he should be dropped is embarrassing.

19 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He is only back-up because he wasn’t available when we signed Bobby. When we signed him he was a current member of RoI national squad. Do you honestly believe he would sign for us knowing he was to be back-up? 

Re Bobby’s mistakes, sorry I disagree. It’s two clear howlers in front of two big, aggressive crowds. Second goal at Ibrox all he has to do is hold the ball instead of playing it back out. But that’s what he does, time after time. Just watch him, the ball doesnt stick to him like it should for a really good keeper. Great shot-stopper and has had some great saves this season but doesn’t do some of the basics particularly well. Comparing him to Jon last season, both great shot-stoppers, Jon held the ball, Bobby doesn’t. 

As I said mate, Doyle’s already played for Hearts and he was utter pap. Back up at best. He was maybe signed to compete with Bobby for no.1 but he’s had 1 howler in 1 game, Bobby has had 2 in 17! 

Id agree, he’s not as good as Jon but he’s certainly more than decent enough at this level. 

No one should miss a penalty, saving any is an achievement if the taker hasn’t ****ed it up. Far worse things to moan about than Zlamal.