Best Touristy places in Embra

Romanov Stole My Pension

Romanov Stole My Pension

I've got a Polish mate wanting me to show him round edinburgh in a couple of weeks time, what would you all say are the best places to go?

Guest S.U.S.S.
I've got a Polish mate wanting me to show him round edinburgh in a couple of weeks time, what would you all say are the best places to go?

Dole office?

Seriously, was at the Zoo the other day, full day out. very good.

heartsfc_fan

Go up to the Royal Observatory for views of edinburgh?

Take him to Tynecastle ;)

The Museum?

Scott Monument

Edinburgh Castle

Mary King's Close

Walk down the High Street

Arthur's Seat & Calton Hill (not at night) provide amazing views over the city.

chester copperpot
Dole office?

Last place he'd go.

conn artist

take them to leith walk so that they feel at home with all the polish shops and restaurants!!

Denny Crane
Scott Monument

Edinburgh Castle

Mary King's Close

Walk down the High Street

Arthur's Seat & Calton Hill (not at night) provide amazing views over the city.

I would add Holyrood Palace to that list. If the open air bus tours are running then start off with one of those - that way you get a wee introduction to the main places to see.

If the waxworks and whisky museums are still on the go on the Royal Mile (I went and enjoyed them) then they're good ways to kill an hour.

I was at Edinburgh Castle yesterday for the first time in years and found it fascinating. Your Polish mate should really enjoy it.

I was at Edinburgh Castle yesterday for the first time in years and found it fascinating. Your Polish mate should really enjoy it.

I lived in West Lothian for the first 17 years of my life and have never been to Edinburgh Castle, how bad is that?

Don't forget a trip to Silverknowes and the walk to Crammond.

A walk up by the ski slope.

Museum of childhood.

Get 'lust for life' blasting out your phone take him a run along princes st then dive down the stairs at the black bull(top of leith walk) then run by pivo before rolling over a car bonnet - for the trainspotting experience!

Alternatively skag up and watch hibs?!

Auld Reekin'

Craiglockhart & Colinton Dell.

Hermitage of Braid.

Arthur's Seat & Salisbury Crags.

Roslin Chapel & Glen.

Roseburn to Stockbridge, along Water of Leith (then explore Stockbridge / New Town).

Walk from Cramond to Sth Queensferry (or vice-versa). The wee ferry doesn't run these days, so you need to start / finish at Cramond Brig.

Pitch & Putt at Bruntsfield Links.

The Pentlands, if you're both up for climbing a hill or two.

Botanical Gardens.

Royal Scottish Museum.

Polish chapel & memorial in Edinburgh Castle (the ?8 admission to the Castle is a bit steep, though...)

Glenkinchie Distillery.

Bought a years sub to the Zoo for me, the missus and the nipper a fortnight ago on the Wee Man's birthday.

Cost is equivalent to four seperate walk up price visits. Already been twice!

The Zoo is the dog's.

Era Macaroons
Bought a years sub to the Zoo for me, the missus and the nipper a fortnight ago on the Wee Man's birthday.

The Zoo is the dog's.

Theres a loose railing at the back, beside the Bomb shelter ;) only Corrie boyz know where it is.

Ill show you it for the the price of 2 visits:rolleyes:

Theres a loose railing at the back, beside the Bomb shelter ;) only Corrie boyz know where it is.

Yer alright Chief, got my season ticket. If the Panda's don't come up to scratch though I may protest and not get one next season. The Penguins look keen though...

Anyway, since when were you a Corrie Boy?

Your postcode isn't and you've never had a 334 number! ;)

Romanov Stole My Pension

Never thought of Mary Kings Close and a pub crawl of the royal mile, might go for them at some point. The whisky museum or the brewery sound good too, plus i live not too far from cramond island so might walk out there for a barbeque. I'll ask him about the other stuff and see what he fancies

Era Macaroons
Yer alright Chief, got my season ticket. If the Panda's don't come up to scratch though I may protest and not get one next season. The Penguins look keen though...

Are you feeling OK?

Anyway, since when were you a Corrie Boy?

Em since the day I was born in my mothers house beside the Rainbow, that was also the day I started supporting Hearts....dont you come from a small village famous for its Smoked fish? ....think Ill leave it there.;)

Your postcode isn't and you've never had a 334 number! ;)

My postcode was for 23 years....and BT exchanges dont decide where im from

Boris & Macaroon

Why don't you have a greatest living Corstorphinite competition?

One point for every charity shop you can name on St John's Road. Two points for everytime you've taken your mum for Sunday Lunch in The Harp Toby Carvery and five points if you are a members of the Rotary Club or Friends of Corstorphine Hill.

That should settle it.

I would take the Polish visitor to the whisky experience next to the Castle or there is a good exhibition on at the moment at the Modern Art Galleries , photography from the early part of last century in Europe.

Say What Again
Royal Mile pub crawl (from the bottom)

Jenny Ha's

Tolbooth (great IPA)

canon's gait

white horse

world's end

tass

royal mile

clam Shell for a bag o chips

deacon brodies

ensign ewart

and back down again, marvellous.

Pah! What a lightweight Royal Mile pub crawl that is.

Isn't that missing out:

Clever Dicks

The Mitre

Logie Bairds

The Royal Macgregor

EH1

Filling Station

Jolly Judge

Say What Again
One point for every charity shop you can name on St John's Road

Use Travel Agents as a tie-breaker

I lived in West Lothian for the first 17 years of my life and have never been to Edinburgh Castle, how bad is that?

I have stayed in Edinburgh for 23 years and have never been either :sad:

The Zoo is the dog's.

Glad you're enjoying it, the membership is a cracking deal for families.

Please buy something from one of my shops when you're next in, members get a 10% discount.:)

The Zoo is the dog's.

Ma mate lives in the Zoo. No Joke..

He's one of the keepers that stay all the time.. So If I want to go round to his place at night to play Rock Bank, i need to go to the zoo. He lets me look at the Lemurs and he has a pet monkey living in his room*.

* Honest, its mum died during birth so he's raising it by hand!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

We know about that but it's not really worth fixing as the whole park is covered by cctv cameras; if we could be bothered entrants of this 'corrie boys gate' could be tracked and ejected.

Buy something when you are in and i'll be happy..;)

ps i have both EH12 and 334 at home and work

Ma mate lives in the Zoo. No Joke..

He's one of the keepers that stay all the time.. So If I want to go round to his place at night to play Rock Bank, i need to go to the zoo. He lets me look at the Lemurs and he has a pet monkey living in his room*.

I presume it's D you're talking about?

You'd be surprised at the animals that have been hand reared in that flat, a pygmy hippo was resident once upon a time....

Say What Again
He lets me look at the Lemurs and he has a pet monkey living in his room*.

That has to be the coolest thing ever posted on KB :cool:

I have stayed in Edinburgh for 23 years and have never been either :sad:

I'm 26 and have never been. Can anyone top 26? Lets see the oldest kickbacker who hasnt visited the castle.

The only touristy thing I have done in Edinburgh is the zoo and botanics (and they were both school trips). Good fun though.

I think I might go up corrie woods at the weekend and sneak into the zoo on saturday. Go see the penguins........and Tobias Hanning.

I'm 26 and have never been. Can anyone top 26? Lets see the oldest kickbacker who hasnt visited the castle.

I beat you, 29 and never been to the castle.

The only touristy thing I have done in Edinburgh is the zoo and botanics (and they were both school trips). Good fun though.

I think I might go up corrie woods at the weekend and sneak into the zoo on saturday. Go see the penguins........and Tobias Hanning.

You can't get in through the back any more (I don't think) - The side door on Kaimes Road though...

Era Macaroons

Why don't you have a greatest living Corstorphinite competition?

:rofl: its a no brainer

did I mention I went to Corstorphine primary school!!

OH and for an unusual suggestion for your Polish friend you could take him to see the (approx) 1000 polish war graves at the rear of the Drum Brae cemetery situated adjacent to Drum Brae primary school (access for cars 2nd right after the rainbow pub going up the hill, secluded enterance).

Era Macaroons
Use Travel Agents as a tie-breaker

Or we could count how many family business's we run within 100 metres of the Oak

Era Macaroons
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

We know about that but it's not really worth fixing as the whole park is covered by cctv cameras; if we could be bothered entrants of this 'corrie boys gate' could be tracked and ejected.

Buy something when you are in and i'll be happy..;)

ps i have both EH12 and 334 at home and work

Buy something! Tell me anyone that can go there and NOT have to buy something!

I also use to work in the Zoo as a schoolkid, in members house/the Penguins Pantry (the cafe at the time) and in the kiosks selling Ice Cream!

Oh and you could take your polish pal for a walk along the Water of Leith starting at Balerno, he'll like it ...its free.

Archived